Battery Operated Lanterns [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Battery Operated Lanterns

Bolster
06-01-2012, 12:42
In another thread the topic of battery operated lanterns came up. I started to give this recommendation there, then realized it was OT and should have its own thread.

Lanterns are GREAT; sometimes overlooked in preps due to flashlights or flashlight conversions.

I personally really like the 3AA "Favourlight" lantern; it's a recommendation I found on CPF that was right on. I now own 3 of them! It has a warm-tint LED in it, and very efficient. At amazon search "CREE 40426 110 Lumens Bright Light CREE XLamp Warm White Camping LED Lantern" and you'll find it. This is my go-to lighting solution when the power goes off.

The other recommend for an LED lantern (I don't own one myself) is the 3D Rayovac Sportsman Extreme--considerably larger, bigger batteries, brighter, with longer runtime. (But not warm tint?). Very popular. On amazon search "Rayovac SE3DLN Sportsman Xtreme LED Lantern"

quake
06-01-2012, 14:32
:thumbsup: I have a bunch of battery-operated LED lanterns including three or four of the rayovac 3-D 'sportsman' you mention, and have found the rayovacs to be better than I'd expected. I expected mediocre, but they're very good actually.
http://www.batteriesinaflash.com/images/flashlight/SE3DLN.jpg
I especially like the dimming capability that lets you crank it up to something like 300 lumens, or down to night-light level; whichever you want at the time.

For low-impact, low-requirement use such as bathroom lighting, generic "getting around at night" lighting during power outages, tent use, etc, I went with simple rayovac 4-AA lanterns ($7 or so from walmart), and replaced the bulbs with nite-ize LED's ($8 or so). End up with ~$15 or so invested per lantern, and they're more than enough light to get around with at night or light up a tent. They run on 4 AA's, and I honestly don't know how many hours it takes to kill a set of batteries; but a long time. A one- or two-day power outage, we don't have to replace them, and we leave them burning all night in the bathrooms. (We have outages more often than we should around here.)

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f360/quake316/RayovacAAlantern.jpg

The nite-ize LED's can be had in the same display as these lanterns & the flashlights at the few walmarts I've bought them in.

Bolster
06-01-2012, 16:14
So the small Rayovacs come with an incan bulb do they? And then you switch to an LED? Interesting.

I should have added that the Favourlight does NOT have the nifty adjustable output, it just has high and low. So point to the Rayovac there.

BORNGEARHEAD
06-01-2012, 19:04
I have a few dif Rayovac lanterns including the sportman one. They are great. There is also a small Rayovac one maybe 4-5" tall, 2" wide that is really bright for it's size. I prefer that one when we are camping because of it's size.

G29Reload
06-01-2012, 19:23
During power blackouts, I get a lot of mileage out of a 3-D cell maglite.

It's an LED model, and I've had it for three years. It gets a lot of use and frankly I think it is still on its original set of batteries! The LEDs must have a REALLY low draw.

With the maglite, its got a flat base on the end cap.

So, if the power is out and I want to light up a room, I place it on its end so the head is pointing straight up at the ceiling which of course reflects light everywhere.

It lights up the whole room! And of course I can move it anywhere I need to. It's maglite sturdy as you would expect.

Bolster
06-01-2012, 20:25
I have contemplated getting one of those small convex mirrors (used to stick onto the side mirrors of a car) and to turn it upside down above a flashlight, to see if that doesn't make a decent expedient lantern.

A ceiling bounce is good, but if you put a piece of aluminum foil on the ceiling...

lawman800
06-02-2012, 01:49
I have a few cheapie ones that take 4AA or can be handcranked for LED lighting. Not the brightest, but it will light up a regular sized room just fine.

quake
06-02-2012, 07:13
...if you put a piece of aluminum foil on the ceiling...
...you're likely to discover a new type of "ceiling bounce", courtesy of Mrs. Bolster...

Bolster
06-02-2012, 10:00
...you're likely to discover a new type of "ceiling bounce", courtesy of Mrs. Bolster...

:uglylol: Oh, I see you have met Mrs. Bolster!