SA Stainless Loaded TRP .45 Range Report [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : SA Stainless Loaded TRP .45 Range Report

MtBaldy
06-03-2012, 22:32
I was going to add this to my original thread on my new gun but can't find it now. An unexpected opportunity to move into a much nicer place delayed my first trip to the range with my new .45. It's a pretty boring report anyway. I only went through two 50 round boxes of 230 grain FMJ but the gun functioned flawlessly. Felt recoil was neglible as you would expect from a full size stainless 1911. The trigger is great breaking at around an estimated 4 lbs with no creep at all. The gun is much more accurate than I am. The trigger and inherent accuracy let me shoot it better than any other gun I have with the possible exception of my S&W 686 in single action mode. Of course the 686 has much more recoil so follow up shots are faster with the .45. I can't wait to shoot it again.

countrygun
06-03-2012, 23:18
A truly fine 1911 is simply hard, if not impossible, to describe to those who have never experienced it.

The trigger is like a fine Bourbon that accompanies a perfect rib-eye which is the accuracy.

bac1023
06-04-2012, 04:39
Very cool :cool:

plouffedaddy
06-04-2012, 08:31
I think the TRP is a very under rated 'premium' priced 1911. People always say to go for Wilson, Brown, ect... While those are great guns as well, my TRP can hold its' own with them any day.

MtBaldy
06-04-2012, 09:50
A truly fine 1911 is simply hard, if not impossible, to describe to those who have never experienced it.

Very cool :cool:

I agree. Thanks.

MtBaldy
06-04-2012, 09:52
I think the TRP is a very under rated 'premium' priced 1911. People always say to go for Wilson, Brown, ect... While those are great guns as well, my TRP can hold its' own with them any day.

I shot a friend's "Commander" sized Wilson Combat a few years ago, don't remember the model. It was beautiful and shot great but I feel in no way deprived with my TRP. I think the TRP is just as accurate and gives up nothing with the trigger. The Wilson Combat was prettier.

plouffedaddy
06-04-2012, 11:37
I shot a friend's "Commander" sized Wilson Combat a few years ago, don't remember the model. It was beautiful and shot great but I feel in no way deprived with my TRP. I think the TRP is just as accurate and gives up nothing with the trigger. The Wilson Combat was prettier.

By no means am I putting down Wilson guns--they're absolutely great. That said, I have a CQB and it often sits in the safe while the TRP comes with me to the range. FWIW--the TRP sits on the nightstand not the Wilson.

glock2740
06-04-2012, 13:29
Is it a TRP or a Loaded? I guess I missed the original post, but the title to this thread says Loaded TRP. Confruzed. :dunno:

faawrenchbndr
06-04-2012, 14:03
Is it a TRP or a Loaded? I guess I missed the original post, but the title to this thread says Loaded TRP. Confruzed. :dunno:

May be a TRP with boolits in it! :dunno:

Seriously, the TRP is a solid option in the "production gun" category.

glock2740
06-04-2012, 15:51
I agree. I'm a huge TRP fan. I LOVE mine. Great gun. :cool:

faawrenchbndr
06-04-2012, 16:42
I agree. I'm a huge TRP fan. I LOVE mine. Great gun. :cool:

It is one of the top "best buys" in the 1911 models!

MtBaldy
06-05-2012, 01:28

That's what the box says:

.45 TRP SS Loaded W/NS

It has a 2 piece full length guide rod which suggests it's a loaded but has TRP and Tactical on the slide.

If you want to look the Model No. is PC9107LP.

ps

Was typing long past my bedtime. Of course it is a TRP. I'm guessing it says "Loaded" on the box because the TRP incorporates all the features of the "Loaded" models. Whatever, I know I like it and it shoots great.

Urban_Redneck
06-05-2012, 03:46
The TRP is a sweet pistol.

My catalog lists all 3 TRP models with 2 piece guide rods.

MtBaldy
06-05-2012, 07:40
The TRP is a sweet pistol.

My catalog lists all 3 TRP models with 2 piece guide rods.

I'm sure but this is my first 1911 pistol. When I went to clean it prior to shooting I looked up disassembling the TRP in the manual. It has instructions for capturing the spring on a one piece guide rod. I figured it out pretty fast but it made for an interesting minute or two as I looked in vain for a hole in the guide rod.

ca survivor
06-05-2012, 15:38
some day I will own a TRP.

Gary1911A1
06-06-2012, 12:04
My Armory Coated TRP is so good I think the FBI would of done just as well adopting it and saved us taxpayers some money in the process. I mean really, really are FBI SWAT and HRT going to be taking head shots at 25 yards?

G26S239
06-06-2012, 13:45
Congrats MtBaldy. I have never tried the TRP but have read very good things about them.

Travclem
06-06-2012, 15:52
My Armory Coated TRP is so good I think the FBI would of done just as well adopting it and saved us taxpayers some money in the process. I mean really, really are FBI SWAT and HRT going to be taking head shots at 25 yards?
Come on now. You know the feds gotta ride in style.

brisk21
06-07-2012, 07:22

Uhm, yes. But the TRP is just as capable of that as the PRO model.

Gary1911A1
06-07-2012, 08:27
Uhm, yes. But the TRP is just as capable of that as the PRO model.

Mine certainly shoots as well as my Professional Model. Will it after thousands of rounds through both? Likely not, but I still don't think the Feds are going to be doing head shots at 25 yards with a handgun so in the real worlds that kind of accuracy isn't needed. I think the Feds just think of cost as a nonissue since they have such a fat budget.

MtBaldy
06-07-2012, 11:18
I think the Feds just think of cost as a nonissue since they have such a fat budget.

I suspect there's some truth to that.

On the other hand, I WANT the FBI SWAT and HRT to have the best pistols for the job they do. And really, they could have spent much more on 1911s than they did for the Professionals.

Zombie Steve
06-07-2012, 11:34
I shoot USPSA - single stack or limited 10 with my TRP. Steel Challenge matches on occasion (although I like revolvers for that). I'm somewhere in the neighborhood of 6,000 rounds based on my primer consumption. I did change the sights to Dawson fiber optic (just easier to run gun games with), and I replace recoil and mainsprings with some regularity, but everything else is still original.

It's not as nice or as accurate as my Brown (that's my carry gun), but the magwell and big controls make for a very good competition gun out of the box.

fnfalman
06-07-2012, 11:38
I suspect there's some truth to that.

On the other hand, I WANT the FBI SWAT and HRT to have the best pistols for the job they do. And really, they could have spent much more on 1911s than they did for the Professionals.

They did...on the Les Baer.

Glockdude1
06-07-2012, 12:14
I am a Springfield 1911 fan as well (MC Operator).

:thumbsup:

nastytrigger
06-07-2012, 17:14
I love my Springer :supergrin:

My only 1911, but it's all I 'need'. I'd like more 1911's, but that chews into my ammo funds...

steve1911
06-07-2012, 23:59
TRP's are Very nice pistols.

Congrats!

1911club#410