How to protect/reinforce a window [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : How to protect/reinforce a window

crunchless
06-04-2012, 21:13
I have a room I will be using as a place to store my guns and ammo, etc. It's a nice size room, in the back of the house. I'm replacing the inside door with a solid core wood door, beefing up the hinges, and new lock set. The one issue is there's a big fixed glass window (4x8 approx). Short of replacing the window with siding, what can I do to secure this? I'm not talking about putting rose bushes in front, and bars probably won't work. Maybe I will have to wall it up. But I thought I'd see if anyone else had any other ideas.

beatcop
06-04-2012, 21:18
beef up the closet is prob the reality...followed by purchase a gun safe

JGlockman
06-04-2012, 21:22
I have fortified my entire house. For the windows - look for hurricane windows. They are significantly stronger than regular windows as well as having almost unbreakable polycarbonate panes.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

Snaps
06-04-2012, 23:45
Ive been thinking about this myself, leaning toward some iron bar type that swings in from the inside. Think storm shutters on the inside that can hide behind curtains and lock together

I Shooter
06-05-2012, 00:36
If I am understanding what you want to do is keep some one from breaking out the window and taking your stuff. Start from inside the room and cover the window wall with 1/2" plywood. After you have the first layer up go back and install a second layer only this time start the center line of the first sheet covering the joining line of the first layer of plywood over the window. Glue and screw the plywood up. When you are dun you have a wall that you could hang shelves or any thing on and it would take a car driving through it to take it down. No one can see in and it is very strong. I have dun this for several storage rooms. The last one I did had two windows in it. I took off the inside trim lowered the blinds, painted the back of the plywood a light gray and covered both walls with two layers of 1/2" plywood. It makes for a very strong wall.

UneasyRider
06-05-2012, 05:36
I had my windows and doors changed to meet the Miami Dade hurricane code for storm shutters. That code provides for the window to take multiple hits from a 2x4 shot out of an air cannon at over 100 MPH. They accomplish this by using to layers of laminated glass with a space between them that is filled with argon gas IIRC. Glass cutters don't work on this stuff and I have seen a video of a guy try to burgle a store by throwing a concrete block through a large payne of laminated glass and it bounced back and hit him with no damage to the window. I vote for changing out your glass.

auto-5
06-05-2012, 05:59
Get a good gun safe.

crunchless
06-05-2012, 16:53
I had my windows and doors changed to meet the Miami Dade hurricane code for storm shutters. That code provides for the window to take multiple hits from a 2x4 shot out of an air cannon at over 100 MPH. They accomplish this by using to layers of laminated glass with a space between them that is filled with argon gas IIRC. Glass cutters don't work on this stuff and I have seen a video of a guy try to burgle a store by throwing a concrete block through a large payne of laminated glass and it bounced back and hit him with no damage to the window. I vote for changing out your glass.

All good suggestions - but I'll definitely look into the hurricane window. Also like the plywood idea as a cheaper solution. This is a big piece of glass so might be pretty expensive.

BTW, I do have 2 gun safes which will be inside - this is more of a safe room where I can keep my other fun stuff safe as well.

crunchless
06-07-2012, 07:23
I'm going the impact resistant glass route. I found a local glass company and it's actually pretty reasonable - $9/sf of glass, so a 4x8 sheet is $288.

Texas357
06-07-2012, 07:42
What about the security films advertised a while back? You'd have to beef up the window frame, but some of those films looked impressive even on normal glass.

Are you adding an alarm?

All the beefing up you can afford can still be circumvented if you give someone enough time or motivation.

UneasyRider
06-07-2012, 09:14
I'm going the impact resistant glass route. I found a local glass company and it's actually pretty reasonable - $9/sf of glass, so a 4x8 sheet is $288.

Good move!

kirgi08
06-07-2012, 12:56
There is a guy on GT called "pbcounty",he's your guy for this.'08.

ca survivor
06-08-2012, 06:36
I will divide that space into two smaller hurricane windows.

FireForged
06-08-2012, 11:03
unless you are using rockboard or something similar rather than the typical sheetrock wall, it doesnt really matter how tuff your door and hinges are.

Back in the day, I used hinged interior burglar bars on a backyard window. It was ugly for sure but very secure. I used hinged so that in the event of a fire, the occupants of the home could easily unlock and swing the bars out of the way to access the window. I used blindes so that from the outside it looks normal but the extra level of security would make for a nice time consumer for any wannabe burglar.

leeward419
06-09-2012, 15:04
Re the windows, gain great strengh, but hope a fireman never has to get in to one

AK_Stick
06-09-2012, 16:03
What about the security films advertised a while back? You'd have to beef up the window frame, but some of those films looked impressive even on normal glass.

Are you adding an alarm?

All the beefing up you can afford can still be circumvented if you give someone enough time or motivation.

When applied to existing windows, it typically just means the window will pop out of the frame "held together" by the film.

tower59
06-10-2012, 21:14
Security film can be applied in such as fashion to bond it to the frame. Lots of details there regarding what materials work with exactly what type of window frame and glass. Ask a professional what system to use and pay him to install it. Will make the window way less likely to be a source in or out, yet no one would likely be able to tell it was hardened. Good idea for all your windows if you want to enhance security, actually.

ray9898
06-11-2012, 06:19
You better hope your beefed up interior door is not surrounded by sheet rock walls.

SFCSMITH(RET)
06-11-2012, 08:09
You better hope your beefed up interior door is not surrounded by sheet rock walls.

It's not just interior walls.. Around here the average house is vinyl siding over foam board, with a layer of fiberglass batt and sheet rock.

In litterally seconds, a person can go right through the wall, just about anywhere on the house, with out even needing a pocket knife. Let alone tools. The only thing stopping them is the idea of doors and windows being "entry points"...

kirgi08
06-11-2012, 10:10
Got it covered.'08.