BOB advice [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : BOB advice

G19 A4
06-05-2012, 00:47
What is a good cubic inch capacity for a general/all-purpose (including possible foot bugout scenarios) BOB? Obviously, it shouldn't be too large or too small. 2,000cu in? 2,600cu in? I figure must haves are built in padded belts and hydration systems.

I have ELIMINATED my options to the following:

1. 1,334 - Blackhawk Patrol 60PP00 Pack

2. 2,000 - Blackhawk 100oz X-1 RAPTOR 3 Day Assault Pack

3. 2,135 - SnugPak Sleeka Force 35 Backpack

4. 2,300 - Kelty Strike 2300 Tactical Backpack

5. 2,440 - SnugPak Stanima 40 Backpack

6. 2,500 - Kelty Raven 2500 Tactical Backpack

7. 2,592 - CamelBak 61077 Motherlode 500 Cargo & Hydration Pack

Any positives or negatives (especially regarding brand reputations). Thanks.

UneasyRider
06-05-2012, 05:19
The question for you is how much weight can you carry on your back all day?

I don't plan on going anywhere so I concern myself with a GHB in the Jeep. Most of the bulk in the bag is clothing that will be coming out and going on my body for easy walking. The rest of the stuff does not take up much room and I try to keep the weight down as much as possible. For me it's about 25 pounds in 3000CI.

auto-5
06-05-2012, 05:52
Man you are over thinking it. Just pick one that feels good and is back pack size.

wjv
06-05-2012, 11:23
Man you are over thinking it. Just pick one that feels good and is back pack size.

Yup!

That means more than specs. .

kirgi08
06-05-2012, 11:34
The info is all around GT SPF.'08.

Bilbo Bagins
06-05-2012, 12:32
It really depends on how much stuff you want to put in your BOB.

Get everything together, and measure the area the pile takes.

It really depends on the person. Some people think they can get by on just a pack of Ramen noodles, a mylar survival blanket and 1000 feet of paracord. With that setup a 1,000 cubic inch pach is more than enough

For me its between 2800 and 3400 Cubic inches, but I'm taking a sleeping bag, a shelter system, and 3 days of food. I intend on not dying no matter how cold and miserable it is outside.

G19 A4
06-05-2012, 15:36

There is a GREAT sale going on a website so unfortunately it will be mail order. I will not be able to examine the packs up close and in person.

G19 A4
06-05-2012, 15:41
The question for you is how much weight can you carry on your back all day?

I don't plan on going anywhere so I concern myself with a GHB in the Jeep. Most of the bulk in the bag is clothing that will be coming out and going on my body for easy walking. The rest of the stuff does not take up much room and I try to keep the weight down as much as possible. For me it's about 25 pounds in 3000CI.

Am I to understand your pack is 3000ci and when stuffed with your gear weighs 25lbs? If that's the case, i may go with the 2000ci Blackhawk listed above (Especially because it may be necessary to foot bugout).

I am looking to get two, one for my GF and will equip them both similarly for redundancy.

Dexters
06-05-2012, 15:42
It really depends on how much stuff you want to put in your BOB.

Get everything together, and measure the area the pile takes.

It really depends on the person. Some people think they can get by on just a pack of Ramen noodles, a mylar survival blanket and 1000 feet of paracord. With that setup a 1,000 cubic inch pach is more than enough

For me its between 2800 and 3400 Cubic inches, but I'm taking a sleeping bag, a shelter system, and 3 days of food. I intend on not dying no matter how cold and miserable it is outside.

This.

People get it backwards - they pick a pack then fill it up.

My recommendation - get into hiking it will get you in shape and teach you about equipment.

I've been hiking Colorado 14ers and I never stop learning about, equipment, climbing techniques and physical conditioning. Even with that there is a difference between alpine hiking and through hiking.

UneasyRider
06-05-2012, 15:54
Am I to understand your pack is 3000ci and when stuffed with your gear weighs 25lbs? If that's the case, i may go with the 2000ci Blackhawk listed above (Especially because it may be necessary to foot bugout).

I am looking to get two, one for my GF and will equip them both similarly for redundancy.

I guess it all depends on what you put in the pack.

FireForged
06-09-2012, 09:19
forget all the tacti-kool stuff and just get a bag/pack that you can get your gear into and fits you well. If it wasnt for the fact that I am getting older (rather quickly) haha, I would still be using a plain ole canvas duffle.

BR549
06-12-2012, 14:04
I typically carry 3500+ ci packs for most multiday trips. It might not always be completely full - especially during mild temperatures.

If you carry a shelter/sleepingbag/pad, clothes, pump filter, stove/pot, food/water...

...you'll use some space...

...then hygiene items (which some might not use :shocked:), first aid, utility, lighting, fire-making, comm/navigation.....

...then again...nobody in GTSP ever considers carrying anything for comfort... right??....:whistling:

...and you haven't even gotten to the near thousand rounds of ammo/magazines/firearms/accessories that certain posters here claim to carry for just exploring day hikes..........:upeyes:

Bilbo Bagins
06-12-2012, 14:39
I typically carry 3500+ ci packs for most multiday trips. It might not always be completely full - especially during mild temperatures.

If you carry a shelter/sleepingbag/pad, clothes, pump filter, stove/pot, food/water...

...you'll use some space...

...then hygiene items (which some might not use :shocked:), first aid, utility, lighting, fire-making, comm/navigation.....

...then again...nobody in GTSP ever considers carrying anything for comfort... right??....:whistling:

...and you haven't even gotten to the near thousand rounds of ammo/magazines/firearms/accessories that certain posters here claim to carry for just exploring day hikes..........:upeyes:

What this ain't no camping trip, this is BUGGING OUT. You are suppose to sleep on the ground, using a mylar survival blanket for warmth, under your lean-to that you whipped up after hours of hacking branches with you 2lb survival knife and tied together with your 100 feet of paracord.

Whether its sleeping in my truck, in the woods, or on a distant relative's living room floor I'll be OK with my pad, and sleeping bag.

And if I'm outside most of my shelters can be put up, or broken down in less than 5 minutes.

BR549
06-12-2012, 15:07
What this ain't no camping trip, this is BUGGING OUT. You are suppose to sleep on the ground, using a mylar survival blanket for warmth, under your lean-to that you whipped up after hours of hacking branches with you 2lb survival knife and tied together with your 100 feet of paracord.

Whether its sleeping in my truck, in the woods, or on a distant relative's living room floor I'll be OK with my pad, and sleeping bag.

And if I'm outside most of my shelters can be put up, or broken down in less than 5 minutes.

I forgot where I was. This is the place where we do things the most difficult and least efficient way possible..

WHO NEEDS A PACK??? Put everything you need in your cargo pockets. Tie anything extra up in a canvas tarp and tie it to a stick to carry over your shoulder. If it don't fit that way....you don't need it.

.....sarcasm directed at various others - not specifically in this thread - not you...

I bet you'd probably do your shelter even more quickly if it was raining.

:thumbsup:

bdcochran
06-12-2012, 15:44
A number of years ago, I was a distributor for a competitor of Tactical Tailor.

I had the same questions as OP. However, I decided that the quality of a three day pack was more important than:
1. a distributor's discount;
2. the actual volume of a decent pack.

Accordingly, I purchased three Tactical Tailor 3 day packs.

I put a bag in each car. Overtime, I reached the logical conclusion that my car trunk could accommodate more gear than a three day pack. So, I decided that if I were out with the car when shtf, I would just have to have 15 minutes to decide what items were most critical to stuff into the three day bag.

As for carrying packs, I simply observe that too many people watch movies. You are going to have a difficult time carrying a pack weighing more than 30 pounds unless you have been doing so daily for a few months prior to shtf. And, if you think I am full of poop, take this simple test. With just a hat, canteen/hydration unit, jacket and a pocket knife, walk just one measured hour continuously this next Saturday or Sunday. Then honestly contemplate whether you can walk for one hour with a 30, 40, or 60 pound pack.:wavey:

cowboy1964
06-12-2012, 17:15
Get the largest one. Whatever you think is "large enough" won't be (but yes, assuming you can carry it with everything in it).

Kelty makes great stuff.

Bushflyr
06-12-2012, 19:02
I've carried a ton of packs from micro Camelbaks to day packs to my monster tandem paragdliding pack. Weighing from next to nothing to ~80 lbs. And really, more than about 40l and 40lbs is going to be WAY too much for 90% of the population. Especially if you need to cover ground at anything faster than a snails pace.

I just ordered Kelty Courser 40 for $75 off Amazon. My other travel pack is a Lowe Contour Mountain 40, which is a great size, i use it for 3-4 day camping trips and 1-2 week vacations all the time, but it has no internal frame and non weight bearing hip belt, so doesn't carry weight that well.

IMO, something in the ~40l range with non military styling is the best choice. I also like taller rather than wider, they carry better in general.

Cavalry Doc
06-12-2012, 20:36
I've carried a ton of packs from micro Camelbaks to day packs to my monster tandem paragdliding pack. Weighing from next to nothing to ~80 lbs. And really, more than about 40l and 40lbs is going to be WAY too much for 90% of the population. Especially if you need to cover ground at anything faster than a snails pace.

I just ordered Kelty Courser 40 for $75 off Amazon. My other travel pack is a Lowe Contour Mountain 40, which is a great size, i use it for 3-4 day camping trips and 1-2 week vacations all the time, but it has no internal frame and non weight bearing hip belt, so doesn't carry weight that well.

IMO, something in the ~40l range with non military styling is the best choice. I also like taller rather than wider, they carry better in general.

I was going to add my 2 cents, but there is 2 dollars worth of info above. Read it.

120 pounds of high speed light weight gear, STILL WEIGHS 120 pounds.......
- Wish I remembered the name of the SF soldier that gave me that pearl of wisdom.

Aceman
06-13-2012, 03:48
You don't have to fill a bigger pack, but you can't use space you don't have. The bigger pack doesn't really weight any more, but it can do more.

That said - who am I we kidding? You KNOW you'll fill extra space in any pack....

BR549
06-13-2012, 07:59
You don't have to fill a bigger pack, but you can't use space you don't have. The bigger pack doesn't really weight any more, but it can do more.

That said - who am I we kidding? You KNOW you'll fill extra space in any pack....

+1 -> You're right, until experience is obtained.

I have found when I sit down at night after making camp or when packing again in the morning...

..I start thinking, "I didnt' use that...don't want to use that...don't have a use for that...don't need that...don't want to carry that...don't want that taking up space or in the way..."

I consider this categorical list for all trips:

1 - Pack / Packing Materials
2 - Shelter / Clothing / Sleeping / Hygiene / Fire
3 - Water / Filtration-Purification / Food-Nutrition / Preparation / Fire
4 - First Aid / Medical / H2O Purification / Fire
5 - Navigation / Communication / Light / Fire
6 - Utility / Tools / Specialty

Dexters
06-13-2012, 08:13

Extra space is needed for clothing layers.
Start off in the cold morning layered up and you will need someplace to put the layers as you and the temps warm up later in the day.

Maine1
06-13-2012, 20:52
I just keep coming back to the medium Alice pack with frame and the new TT s straps and hip belt. Not too big, not too small- for the most part. makes you CHOOSE what you bring, and takes effort to manage so you have extra room for found/made items you come across.
I have a few internal frame packs of small/mid size, but i like the outside pockets on the alice, as they let me organize things for faster access.

Route of march caches are pretty critical, as are multiple well stocked hidey holes. They reduce the amount of gear that has to be carried.
Even a simple cache like a tarp, some baler twine, a pot to boil water in, some 2 liter pop bottles of H20, and perhaps some grub would be easy to put in an ammo can and stash, plus be a great help if one showed up enroute naked without his/her BOB...**** happens.

SDDL-UP
06-13-2012, 22:25
Tactical Tailor makes a really nice 3-day pack, as does Spec-Ops Brand - T.H.E. Pack, Eagle Industries stuff is also top notch.

UneasyRider
06-14-2012, 05:34
I just keep coming back to the medium Alice pack with frame and the new TT s straps and hip belt. Not too big, not too small- for the most part. makes you CHOOSE what you bring, and takes effort to manage so you have extra room for found/made items you come across.
I have a few internal frame packs of small/mid size, but i like the outside pockets on the alice, as they let me organize things for faster access.

Route of march caches are pretty critical, as are multiple well stocked hidey holes. They reduce the amount of gear that has to be carried.
Even a simple cache like a tarp, some baler twine, a pot to boil water in, some 2 liter pop bottles of H20, and perhaps some grub would be easy to put in an ammo can and stash, plus be a great help if one showed up enroute naked without his/her BOB...**** happens.

I have a medium Alice pack and a large one too that share a frame. I love a simple pack with an external frame because it keeps the heat build up off of my back that I get from an internal frame pack. I like all that room to breathe and a the strong steel frame, makes me comfortable with the heat and with the pack.

Cavalry Doc
06-14-2012, 06:50
I have a medium Alice pack and a large one too that share a frame. I love a simple pack with an external frame because it keeps the heat build up off of my back that I get from an internal frame pack. I like all that room to breathe and a the strong steel frame, makes me comfortable with the heat and with the pack.

Not to nitpick, but Alice packs have aluminum frames. :wavey:

UneasyRider
06-14-2012, 10:00
Not to nitpick, but Alice packs have aluminum frames. :wavey:

Must be made of really good aluminum because I could hit mine with a hammer and I don't think that I would hurt it. One more reason to buy one. :supergrin:

Cavalry Doc
06-14-2012, 10:13
Must be made of really good aluminum because I could hit mine with a hammer and I don't think that I would hurt it. One more reason to buy one. :supergrin:

I have two, they are rugged and work. :supergrin:

FireForged
06-14-2012, 18:46
On the ALICE pack... I have lived out of and under a ALICE pack during my US/Europe trecking in the 1980's. I have used one mostly without a frame and only used a frame during the last year or two of that decade. I will say that although it was functional and took tons of abuse, it was the most horrible pack to carry long distances. There are just too many other packs available now a days to seriously consider a alice. Yeah they are cheap.. but for $10-15 bucks more you can have a proper pack.