Swapping slides G22 and G17 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Swapping slides G22 and G17

Snooch..!!!
06-06-2012, 19:26
I have a G17 Gen 3 and am considering buying a G22 slide to swap out instead of purchasing a whole other pistol (G22).

I know with my G23 and LWD 40-9 conversion barrel it works great but doesn't eject the brass as vigorously which I guess is due to the .40 cal extractor and ejector not getting as good a bite on the smaller 9mm casing.

But if you were to just put a G22 slide on a G17 frame would the 9mm ejector work fine or cause any problems..?

I will probably just buy a spare .40 cal trigger housing any way if I get a G22 slide for my G17, but just wanted to see if anyone had experience with this mix.

Cole125
06-06-2012, 19:45
The frames are the exact same. I don't see any reason why it would not work.

stolenphot0
06-06-2012, 20:10
it would work, but then you are ejecting .40 casings with a 9mm ejector and may have weak ejections too.

I can't say because I have never tried it.

Snooch..!!!
06-06-2012, 20:14
Yeah, like I was saying, I am curious about the opposite affect of the "wrong" ejector. I have experience with a .40 cal ejector on 9mm brass, and the brass just kind of falls out the side of the pistol.

But a 9mm ejector should be getting more than enough strike on a .40 cal casing, so if anything, the ejection should have a bit more "spunk" to it I would guess.

I was just hoping to find someone who has experience with this situation.

stolenphot0
06-06-2012, 20:20
I would give it a try, but my Gen4 slide will not fit my 3rd gen frame. sorry

samurairabbi
06-06-2012, 20:37
I will probably just buy a spare .40 cal trigger housing any way if I get a G22 slide for my G17, but just wanted to see if anyone had experience with this mix.

You could also get ONLY the ejector; ejectors can be switched within the trigger block.

Snooch..!!!
06-06-2012, 20:40
The entire trigger housing is only about $7 so not a big deal really.

Thanks..! :wavey:

You could also get ONLY the ejector; ejectors can be switched within the trigger block.

Snooch..!!!
06-06-2012, 20:41
Nothing a little elbow grease and a dremel couldn't fix..! :supergrin:

I would give it a try, but my Gen4 slide will not fit my 3rd gen frame. sorry

samurairabbi
06-06-2012, 20:43
But a 9mm ejector should be getting more than enough strike on a .40 cal casing, so if anything, the ejection should have a bit more "spunk" to it I would guess.

I was just hoping to find someone who has experience with this situation.

The 9mm ejector strikes the case closer to its center than does the 40 ejector; it would therefore exert less torque when ejecting the case. The 40 ejector would strike a 9mm case far out on the rim, with possiblity of a glancing blow.

I have seen the 9mm ejector work ADEQUATELY with the 40 ejection. It cannot, however, be called ideal.

Snooch..!!!
06-06-2012, 20:46
Cool thanks..!

The 9mm ejector strikes the case closer to its center than does the 40 ejector; it would therefore exert less torque when ejecting the case. The 40 ejector would strike a 9mm case far out on the rim, with possiblity of a glancing blow.

I have seen the 9mm ejector work ADEQUATELY with the 40 ejection. It cannot, however, be called ideal.

samurairabbi
06-06-2012, 21:04
The entire trigger housing is only about $7 so not a big deal really.

Thanks..! :wavey:

Another detail: Replacing the entire trigger block to change caliber means the ENTIRE trigger assembly must be COMPLETELY removed from the frame. Replacing ONLY the ejector can be done by knocking out the trigger block pin and lifting the block just enough for the ejector to clear the frame internals. This is faster, but it is a non-standard action; know your stuff before you do it.

ImpeachObama
06-06-2012, 21:18
I did this with a G23 slide on a G19 lower. All you need when you use the 22 slide is to change the ejector to a .40 cal. I ended up picking up a whole trigger assembly so I didn't have to disassemble any parts and made it a quicker swap. It's great to be able to have this flexibility. If you call Glock, they will probably tell you it won't work and you can't do it.

SCC
06-06-2012, 21:19
is the 17 a 3 pin or a 2 pin ?

samurairabbi
06-06-2012, 21:30
Never mind; I misinterpreted that post.

Snooch..!!!
06-06-2012, 21:40
It's a 3 pin Gen 3 why..?

GIockGuy24
06-07-2012, 12:34
It's a 3 pin Gen 3 why..?

The early generation 3 G17's have only two pins. Later generation 3 G17's have three pins. All G22's have three pins.

DannyR
06-07-2012, 12:38
The angled 9mm ejector presents a safety risk when clearing the chamber of a 40 caliber round. The tip of the ejector could strike the primer of a live round--very bad. Just don't do it. Ejectors are cheap.

kcboy
06-08-2012, 07:08
"Mga Sir ,Baka malito na si Sir CPBoy hehehe . Sir CpBoy ,first and foremost , the frames of the G17/22 are the same . Now ,for the internals of the frames ,all are the same except their ejectors . You can use the ejector of the 40cal for both 9mm/40cal . However ,the 9mm ejector on the other hand CAN NOT be used on the 40cal. If you have a 9mm housing ,all you need to do is look for an extra 40cal ejector . The ejectors can be removed and replaced with another . But if you're just about to buy a housing ,better the 40cal one . Hope this helps ."

Got this from This site
http://www.pinoy1911.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=22470&start=20

Giggity-Giggity
06-08-2012, 09:07
Too much work in switching out ejectors everytime you want to shoot. I'd just buy a complete G22...yes, I'm lazy.

DFin
06-08-2012, 14:21
How much does a G-22 upper assembly cost? Maybe it is more economical to just buy a police trade in G-22.

Snooch..!!!
06-08-2012, 19:30
I am considering this as well. If a police trade in is in the right price range I will go ahead and pony up for the whole shebang.

Too much work in switching out ejectors everytime you want to shoot. I'd just buy a complete G22...yes, I'm lazy.

Snooch..!!!
06-08-2012, 19:32
It depends, sellers are wanting WAY too much for new slides, as in $350 to $400 or more.

I am considering a used G22 slide right now for about $225 which would save me the FFL fee as well.

If I can get a police trade in Gen 3 G22 for around $300 I will probably just do that.

How much does a G-22 upper assembly cost? Maybe it is more economical to just buy a police trade in G-22.

bustedknee
06-08-2012, 19:47

Yeah!

It sure seems he is trying hard to figure a way to not buy another gun.

Gasp!

Tell me it ain't so.

I hope my wife does not hear about this.

Can we hide this thread somewhere?

:animlol:

Actually this would be an excellent idea if we could get slides for about half of what they normally charge.

Slobo
12-22-2012, 14:07
So to see if I can sum up re: slide swap: A .40 cal. ejector works for both .40 and 9 mm, but a 9 mm ejector does NOT work for .40 cal. So, if you do not want to swap ejectors every time you swap sides, put a .40 ejector in and leave it at that. Right?

garya1961
12-22-2012, 17:22
You shouldn't have a problem finding a good deal on a G22. I would find a shop with some for sale and pick the best one instead of buying on line. That's how I got into Glocks to start with, both of mine are trade ins. My G23 looks brand new.

sig357fan
12-22-2012, 21:58
The angled 9mm ejector presents a safety risk when clearing the chamber of a 40 caliber round. The tip of the ejector could strike the primer of a live round--very bad. Just don't do it. Ejectors are cheap.

DannyR,

Iíve seen threads where the potential out of battery firing of a live round being removed from the chamber is discussed but no one could show of a specific incident where this happened.

This is by no way meant to be a flame in any way and I agree that itís better to be safe than sorry especially when the replacement part is so inexpensive.

That said, when a 9mm ejector is being use and seeing that both the 9mm and the 40 S&W use SPP, wouldnít the primer be the same distance from the ejector regardless of which live round is being removed from the chamber?

Again, no disrespect is meant but I just want to understand how this could happen.

Sig357fan

samurairabbi
12-23-2012, 00:24
DannyR,

I’ve seen threads where the potential out of battery firing of a live round being removed from the chamber is discussed but no one could show of a specific incident where this happened.

That said, when a 9mm ejector is being use and seeing that both the 9mm and the 40 S&W use SPP, wouldn’t the primer be the same distance from the ejector regardless of which live round is being removed from the chamber?

Again, no disrespect is meant but I just want to understand how this could happen.

Sig357fan
Permit me the temerity of supplementing DannyR's responses. I have, I believe, seen this occur.

Some 1911 shooters have a habit of quickly racking the slide three times when ejecting a chambered round. When this is done by such a shooter WITH A GLOCK, and the live round is extracted on the.first move but is not EJECTED, that round is still flopping around in the slide on the later cycles. The projecting Glock ejector can hit the primer on.that flopping round.

I once saw a firing line discharge with open action that was PROBABLY caused by this sequence.

This can happen with ANY Glock setup, but the curved 9mm ejector coupled the larger diameter .40 case, makes it easier to happen with this.setup.

GlockMonk
12-23-2012, 04:55
I have a G17 Gen 3 and am considering buying a G22 slide to swap out instead of purchasing a whole other pistol (G22).....

I've been doing that set up for years, and never had a problem. I do not swap out any parts at all, except using G22 magazines. Never had any FTF, FTE. In fact, this is my bug out bag set up, so I could use either the 9mm, or the .40 a long the way :whistling:

GlockMonk

Slobo
12-23-2012, 17:57
I've been doing that set up for years, and never had a problem. I do not swap out any parts at all, except using G22 magazines. Never had any FTF, FTE. In fact, this is my bug out bag set up, so I could use either the 9mm, or the .40 a long the way :whistling:

GlockMonk

GlockMonk, so you are using G17 and G22 slides on a G17 frame? And with no change of the 9mm ejector in the frame?