What foods do you store? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : What foods do you store?

Stonewall308
06-06-2012, 19:39
Ok, so I snagged a big storage cabinet and after years of pondering the idea I am FINALLY actually going to start storing food. I will be rotating certain food items out of the storage cabinet in the basement and into the pantry in the kitchen. Once I get this up and running the plan will be that my wife buys groceries as usual, but whenever a can of tomato soup (for example) is purchased it starts at the back of the rotation in the basement and the oldest one comes up to the pantry.

So here is the list I've come up with:

Pasta
Beans
Rice
Tomato Soup
Other Soups
Canned Chilli
Tuna
Vegetable oil and/or olive oil
Oatmeal
Flour
Peanut Butter

For anyone else employing a similar strategy, what do you store/rotate?

bdcochran
06-06-2012, 20:08
I think that most people believe that eating after shtf is going to be like camp cooking. It won't be.

I am 8 days past major surgery and at home. Having been down and out before, I prepared the food situation carefully.

All I have been able to eat from stores has been simple chicken noodle soup and canned fruit cocktail.

I have enough strength to go to the refrigerator , pull out a cold jello and eat one.

I make this contribution because whether you accept it or not, you or someone in your party will be sick and down after shtf. Unless you are living in an existing family group with cooking skills, don't count on someone making complicated dishes or spending much time with you. A

And yeah, the girlfriend is three weeks post rotator cuff surgery with another 3 weeks in a sling before starting her physical therapy.:wavey:

M1A Shooter
06-06-2012, 20:38
i try to store alot of canned foods that i dont need to do much for. easy to stock up on and will also get past the first few weeks post whatever that cooking outside might not be smart with the people around you who dont have much.

a few weeks or months of that and then move on to long term storage or rice and such to be able to add to and extend what you have in cans.

bdcochran
06-06-2012, 23:07
m1a shooter has it.

Think 30-60-90 days.

I have mres, homemade and commercial jerky, Coast Guard rations, commercial pilot bread and hardtack, cans of dried fruits and vegetables.

Of course, nothing can replace a fresh fruit salad, a fresh vegetable salad or a couple of hamburgers. However, you can store variety.

I have bread machines. Some one can make bread every day.

No fuss. No mess. No sugar. However, flour goes bad after 3 months. When the power is off in an emergency, I really don't have the time or ability to figure out how to bake it outside. So don't buy a lot of flour. If you can make pancakes in a cast iron frying pan, great. Best breakfast. However, think about the fuel used in making the pancakes and in the clean up. Also think about the necessary amounts of clean water. So, you have to think about food sources that don't require vast amounts of fuel and water for 30-60-90 days.:wavey:

Bolster
06-06-2012, 23:14
I am 8 days past major surgery and at home.

Hey BD you made the trip! Congrats! Very pleased to see you posting again.

:devildance:

My approach to the Stonewall's question: I combine two strategies. (1) Long storage life foods that (2) I actually rotate through and eat, same method as Stonewall, "I am the store" for these items. They're housed in six buckets with gamma lids. Copy/paste, here's what I store. (This is in addition to the pantry.)

Beans, Pinto
Bouillon Cubes
Cocoa
Flour, White (only good for 6 mo storage)
Lentils, Red
Milk, Powdered
Pasta, Spaghetti
Rice, White
Salt
Soda, Baking
Sugar, Gran
Vitamins
Molasses
Oil, Canola (only good for 6 mo storage)
Vanilla Extract
Vinegar
Vodka

Solar oven for cooking. Gradually working my way through recipes that use these ingredients, that are solar-ovenable.

TangoFoxtrot
06-07-2012, 04:55
Stonewall your on the right track. Just try to keep your stores organized and rotated. Also you need to have alternate cooking sources as well in case of blackouts or lack of natural gas. ie; Charcoal grill, fire pit, gas grill or whatever. An abundant amount of water needs to be stored as well. Think bulk as well, rice, beans, pasta. If anything and there is never a SHTF senario you can think of it as an insurance policy and you won't have to be one of those idiots running around the supermarkets trying to buy last minute food supplies if something bad happens.

UneasyRider
06-07-2012, 06:30
Buckets:
Rice
Beans
Wheat
Oats

Canned:
Tuna
Chicken
Ham
Veggies
Olives
Pickles

Boxed:
Power bars
Cereal
MRE

Solar oven along with water treatment and storage and a wheat grinder. Don't forget lots of dish soap... if you want to eat you need more than food right?