Newly released guns: Early Adopters or should someone wait? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Newly released guns: Early Adopters or should someone wait?

CDR_Glock
06-06-2012, 21:18
Mas

I apologize if this is a duplicate but I could have sworn I submitted this question to you already.

There are a lot of guns aimed for the concealed carry citizens this year, after the excitement of SHOT. In life, I've almost never been an early adopter of ANYTHING. Last year, I tried being an early adopter with a Diamondback DB9 and I ended up with a dud. I sold it.

This week, I ordered the Sig P938 because of my contentment with the Sig P238. Being a major brand, I have a lot more faith, and I already have 3 Sig Sauers. I, as I have learned from you, believe reliability is paramount.

What is your advice for the "early adopters"?
Do you recommend waiting until some feedback returns after a few months of a gun's release?
What sources do you recommend regarding honest, practical, realist feedback of new guns with respect to reliability, accuracy, workmanship and durability?
Should most people sit out and watch from the sidelines or play ball, as they say?

Thanks,

Rick

Mas Ayoob
06-07-2012, 04:24
Blessed are the beta testers, because they pave the way for the rest of us.

Doesn't mean wait to BUY and SHOOT, necessarily. But it's certainly not a good idea to RELY ON anything not yet tested. By all means, get the new gun, shoot the heck out of it, and don't carry it or keep it for home defense until you're satisfied that it's reliable.

best,
Mas

CDR_Glock
06-07-2012, 07:15
Thanks, Mas.

I need at least 300 flawless rounds with defensive and target ammo, unless it's a Glock or Springfield XD/m.

I get to pick up my 938 today. I'm excited to try it out.

Is there a progression of ammo that you try yourself? I mean FMJ then regular hollowpoints, then +P?

Rick

Mas Ayoob
06-07-2012, 19:32
Nothing wrong with your suggested progression, Rick.
best,
Mas

CDR_Glock
06-08-2012, 06:26
Thanks.

I have a good feeling about the Sig P938. More than I had with my Diamondback.

CDR_Glock
06-10-2012, 15:30
I put 225 rounds through it. 3 failures to return to battery with FMJ but fed any JHP I out into it.

Much better outcome for me. I cleaned it up and lubricated the pistol. I am taking it out for one more outing before putting it into the full time carry mode. Reliability of every carry gun should be completely reliable.

Thanks, as usually.