RIP Ray Bradbury [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : RIP Ray Bradbury

snowbird
06-07-2012, 08:26
I liked reading his, and others, science fiction as a boy. His book, "Fahrenheit 451", about book-burning, eerily foreshadowed today's Left and Muslims trying their best to shut down any truthful speech about Islam's violence (today's total of deadly Muslim attacks since 9/11 has reached 19,007) and oppression of non-Muslims and women.

Brucev
06-07-2012, 08:37
Fahrenheit 451 was and remains remarkable. It has enduring relevance especially as concerns efforts by left and right wing agenda driven extremists to censor/restrict/ban information/communication/opinion. When it comes to such things, there is no difference between the groups. None of them merit any support.

void *
06-07-2012, 11:58
snowbird,

An icon of science fiction dies, and your response is to use his death in a rant?

Ray Bradbury deserves better than that, imho.

creaky
06-07-2012, 14:12
snowbird,

An icon of science fiction dies, and your response is to use his death in a rant?

Ray Bradbury deserves better than that, imho.
I read his work also, and alot of other scifi to boot. Most of it pointing to a real future, good or bad. why not allow snowbird to associate his memory of a great story to actual events going on under your nose without a bunch of noise from the neoatheist peanut gallery? Jmho.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

void *
06-07-2012, 14:33
why not allow snowbird to associate his memory of a great story to actual events going on under your nose without a bunch of noise from the neoatheist peanut gallery? Jmho.

I think he's being disrespectful. I assume by your post that you think I shouldn't voice that opinion. Which, imho, is also disrespectful (to me, anyway, but you've long ago showed you don't care about that).

creaky
06-07-2012, 21:02
I think he's being disrespectful. I assume by your post that you think I shouldn't voice that opinion. Which, imho, is also disrespectful (to me, anyway, but you've long ago showed you don't care about that).

Oh for Pete's sake... How was his post disrespectful? To whom? Mr. Bradbury? RIP and remembrance of one of his most famous stories and its comparison to current events? Thats some disrespect.islam? Well, that deserves all the disrespect that can be heaped on it. Like it or not.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

void *
06-07-2012, 21:04
Oh for Pete's sake... How was his post disrespectful? To whom? Mr. Bradbury? RIP and remembrance of one of his most famous stories and its comparison to current events?

RIP and remembrance is fine, IMHO. Using someone's death as a tool in a rant is not. You're free to disagree.

(ETA: My opinion is basically that Fahrenheit 451 is relevant whenever there's danger of large scale censorship. However, the man died, and snowbird's reaction was, as far as i can tell, 'hey, this is something I can post about referencing how bad islam is'. Which I find disrespectful, not to islam (which has plenty of nations who are willing to censor), but to Ray Bradbury. Basically, if snowbird wants to talk about islamic countries or organizations advocating censorship, fine - and I'd probably agree to an extent. But IMHO, a RIP thread should be a RIP thread, not a tool to advocate a position)

Kingarthurhk
06-07-2012, 21:30
RIP and remembrance is fine, IMHO. Using someone's death as a tool in a rant is not. You're free to disagree.

(ETA: My opinion is basically that Fahrenheit 451 is relevant whenever there's danger of large scale censorship. However, the man died, and snowbird's reaction was, as far as i can tell, 'hey, this is something I can post about referencing how bad islam is'. Which I find disrespectful, not to islam (which has plenty of nations who are willing to censor), but to Ray Bradbury. Basically, if snowbird wants to talk about islamic countries or organizations advocating censorship, fine - and I'd probably agree to an extent. But IMHO, a RIP thread should be a RIP thread, not a tool to advocate a position)

So, I guess he won't notice much.

void *
06-07-2012, 22:20
So, I guess he won't notice much.

I suspect he doesn't. That doesn't mean that people who are still alive can't.

Kingarthurhk
06-07-2012, 22:47
I suspect he doesn't. That doesn't mean that people who are still alive can't.

Well, this might be a good time to examine that concept. Why is death tragic, and why is it even a necessity?

void *
06-08-2012, 00:13
Why is death tragic, and why is it even a necessity?

That's probably a topic for a thread on it's own, if you'd like me to answer, please start one.