Massad Ayoob Class In Reevesville [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Massad Ayoob Class In Reevesville

DannyR
06-08-2012, 09:24
Internationally renowned firearms & self defense training instructor and author, GSSF and GlockTalk member Massad Ayoob, will be conducting his "Armed Citizens' Rule Of Engagement" course at B.E.L.T. Training, LLC, Reevesville, SC on November 15th-18th, 2012. Each class is a two day, ten hour per day class. You may take both for $800.00 or either for $400.00. The live fire class requires 500 rounds of ammo.

This rare opportunity is being hosted by GSSF member Lisa Marie Judy, a highly ranked NRA instructor.

Seating is limited, first come first served.

The classes are:

Mag/20 Classroom

Mag/20 Live Fire

Mag/40--both

Complete descriptions and registration form at www.massadayoobgroup.com

I've signed up for both. :cool:

If you have any doubts, read this thread:
http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1259631

SARDG
06-08-2012, 10:00
Internationally renowned firearms & self defense training instructor and author, GSSF and GlockTalk member Massad Ayoob, will be conducting his "Armed Citizens' Rule Of Engagement" course at B.E.L.T. Training, LLC, Reevesville, SC...

This rare opportunity is being hosted by GSSF member Lisa Marie Judy, a highly ranked NRA instructor.

As a reminder to folks, this is the venue for the GSSF Ladies Only match. Lisa Marie has a nice facility there and has made improvements and expanded over the last year.

This is at least the second time that Mas has used her facility and Glock Training has also been there conducting Armorer's classes.

I don't think I can make it, but maybe I can just hang around Mas at the next GSSF match that he shows up at and some of what he knows will jump off him and cling to me. :whistling: Maybe not...

The Comfort Inn is about 12-13 miles from the range in St. George and B.E.L.T. Training has a corporate rate of $53.99 +tax. That rate is cheaper than any AAA, AARP, Gov't rate and the hotel has a good breakfast and a couple of restaurants AND fast food nearby in town - a couple within walking distance. Roadkill and his daughter and Melissa, among others stayed there as well. The closest Wal-Mart is 20 miles south of St. George on I-75 however. Hampton Inn... dunno. You basically have to get to St. George on your way to the range.
http://www.reservationcounter.com/hotels/show/119282/comfort-inn-st-george

DannyR
06-12-2012, 15:57
I mailed my registration form yesterday, and look forward to meeting both Masaad Ayoob and Lisa Marie Judy. I even dug out my two Masaad Ayoob books to re-read this summer:

Stressfire, 1984
In The Gravest Extreme, 1980

SARDG
06-12-2012, 16:41
I mailed my registration form yesterday...
I'm still thinking... :)

You are suppposed to talk me out of it!

DannyR
06-12-2012, 16:54
I'll buy you dinner at St. George and we will discuss it.:wavey:

SARDG
06-12-2012, 17:35
I'll buy you dinner at St. George and we will discuss it.:wavey:
:cool: Very tempting... :headscratch: :)

Crazy KD
06-12-2012, 20:16
I took a class a few weeks ago at their facility. Great fun and it is fairly close to I95 for those coming from out of the area. The classroom is very nice and they are finishing a second building that already has bathrooms and I think will incorporate a kitchen. The lunch they made us was wonderful, complete with a homemade cake.

Great people.

tnedator
06-12-2012, 20:21
Here's a review of the Ayoob MAG-40 course listed in the OP that I took a couple years ago in Memphis.

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1259631

SARDG
06-12-2012, 20:54
Here's a review of the Ayoob MAG-40 course listed in the OP that I took a couple years ago in Memphis.

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1259631
Yeah, thanks. Danny posted that link in his initial post.

Glockrunner
06-13-2012, 05:58

And I'll allow you to buy me lunch!:cool:

SARDG
06-13-2012, 08:35
And I'll allow you to buy me lunch!:cool:
Reading Mas' course syllabus I see that lunches are basically working lunches at the venue - so I'll pick you up a Subway sandwich on the way. See ya' at the training, Bob! :whistling:

DannyR
06-13-2012, 09:20
syllabus?
syllabus?
syllabus?

I do not allow that kind of language in this forum.:wavey:

SARDG
06-13-2012, 10:07
syllabus?
syllabus?
syllabus?

I do not allow that kind of language in this forum.:wavey:
That is a scary word. I'm sticking with single syllables henceforth. :)

tnedator
06-13-2012, 11:14
Yeah, thanks. Danny posted that link in his initial post.

lol, sorry, never clicked on that link to see that it was going to the thread with my review/AAR.

Glockrunner
06-13-2012, 15:05

Just tell me where dinner will be, Pat & I will join ya'll.

DannyR
06-13-2012, 15:11
I'll try to find a place where we can all meet for dinner.:wavey:

SARDG
06-13-2012, 15:39
I'll try to find a place where we can all meet for dinner.:wavey:
There's that sport's bar - Skynyrd's - next to the hotel... not good. There's the Waffle House where I ate with RoadKill and his daughter... not very good. There's an Italian/Pizza restaurant very close but I haven't tried it and don't remember the name.

But I'm waffling myself... Mas has a Live Oak FL MAG40 course that's closer and cheaper for me - and I own property there and could go look at the trees. :) But I wouldn't be able to have dinner with Danny and the Glockrunners in Live Oak FL! (That sounds like a rock group - maybe Danny's old band.)

DannyR
06-13-2012, 16:03
I like that name.

Some restaurant possibilities:

Duke's Barbeque
Empire Restaurant
Georgio's Pizza
Grady's Cafe
Western Sizzlin

SARDG
06-13-2012, 16:08
I like that name.

Duke's Barbeque
Empire Restaurant
Georgio's Pizza
Grady's Cafe
Western Sizzlin
Duke's is like 20 miles away I think - a lot of things are. :)

Georgio's - that's it - the closer Italian place!

SARDG
06-13-2012, 16:11
I like that name.
Bring your drums to Conyers, Mike G35 can bring his guitar, Bob can bring his kazoo. :rofl:

Glockrunner
06-14-2012, 05:02
Bring your drums to Conyers, Mike G35 can bring his guitar, Bob can bring his kazoo. :rofl:
Trust me, you don't want to be any where near when I try to play any musical instrument!:supergrin:
But I do know the Boatsuns Call.

DannyR
06-14-2012, 05:24
I just played for a Senior Drama Class Recital, several wonderful songs from the hit musical "Wicked." I think I'll give the drums a rest.

By the way, if you only ever get to see one musical live on stage, make it be "Wicked." I'd drive up to 250 miles to see it again, and again, and again.

Don At PC
06-14-2012, 06:29

I hear "Old Bob" really toots a mean Kazoo. :tongueout::faint::embarassed:

Don

Mrs Glockrunner
06-14-2012, 08:47
I like that name.

Duke's Barbeque
Empire Restaurant
Georgio's Pizza
Grady's Cafe
Western Sizzlin

Danny, I did some checking on-line, and Georgio's had some pretty good reviews. We could 'pencil' that one in for now. Maybe someone has a good recommendation later on.

Mrs G-R

SARDG
06-14-2012, 09:37
I hear "Old Bob" really toots a mean Kazoo. :tongueout::faint::embarassed:

Don
You gotta stay away from the bean soup, Bob. :embarassed:
(Did I just say that??)

Yeah, stick with the boatswain's pipe - my hearing is so bad I can barely detect those any more...

SARDG
06-14-2012, 09:42
...By the way, if you only ever get to see one musical live on stage, make it be "Wicked." I'd drive up to 250 miles to see it again, and again, and again.
I've seen many live musicals, but I now live 40+ miles from any cultural event and am too uninspired to drive even that far.

scccdoc
06-14-2012, 09:44
I'm close,but do you have to be especially proficient in weaponry or extremely healthy to participate? DOC

SARDG
06-14-2012, 11:16
I'm close,but do you have to be especially proficient in weaponry or extremely healthy to participate? DOC
Did you check the link in post #1? That will lead you to course descriptions and equipment lists. http://massadayoobgroup.com/?page_id=7

The other link in Danny's post leads to an AAR - After Action Report for the course.

If you have any doubt, you can e-mail MAG and explain your particular situation. MAG20 is classroom only so required practical proficiency is likely less than the 2nd half.

The 2nd half sounds somewhat like IDPA with some run & gun, but I don't know how much is running. You will have to have a modicum of stamina for the 2nd half as it's a lot of range work. Contact Mas Ayoob Group.

scccdoc
06-14-2012, 12:33
Did you check the link in post #1? That will lead you to course descriptions and equipment lists. http://massadayoobgroup.com/?page_id=7

The other link in Danny's post leads to an AAR - After Action Report for the course.

If you have any doubt, you can e-mail MAG and explain your particular situation. MAG20 is classroom only so required practical proficiency is likely less than the 2nd half.

The 2nd half sounds somewhat like IDPA with some run & gun, but I don't know how much is running. You will have to have a modicum of stamina for the 2nd half as it's a lot of range work. Contact Mas Ayoob Group.

Thanks, I'm interested and will research ..... DOC

DannyR
06-14-2012, 12:39
There are things I cannot do well, like run.

There are things I cannot do at all, like kneel and then stand up unassisted.

Still, I'm going.:wavey:

scccdoc
06-14-2012, 13:59

If I'm there, I'll help you ................ DOC

scccdoc
06-14-2012, 14:27

Danny, are you taking the 20 or the forty? I'm thinking the 20 only......... DOC

scccdoc
06-14-2012, 14:31
Internationally renowned firearms & self defense training instructor and author, GSSF and GlockTalk member Massad Ayoob, will be conducting his "Armed Citizens' Rule Of Engagement" course at B.E.L.T. Training, LLC, Reevesville, SC on November 15th-18th, 2012. Each class is a two day, ten hour per day class. You may take both for $800.00 or either for $400.00. The live fire class requires 500 rounds of ammo.

Is the

The classes are:

Mag/20 Classroom

Mag/20 Live Fire

Mag/40--both

Complete descriptions and registration form at www.massadayoobgroup.com (http://www.massadayoobgroup.com)

Is the Mag/20 on Thurs,Fri ?

DannyR
06-14-2012, 14:51
The Mag20 live fire is scheduled for Thursday and Friday.

The Mag20 Classroom--separate class, is scheduled for Saturday and Sunday

The Mag40 combines both classes.

scccdoc
06-14-2012, 17:52
The Mag20 live fire is scheduled for Thursday and Friday.

The Mag20 Classroom--separate class, is scheduled for Saturday and Sunday

The Mag40 combines both classes.

Thanks, probably gonna do the "live fire", gonna check with the boss,lol

tnedator
06-14-2012, 19:50

I did it in Memphis in August when temps were hovering around 100. It was absolutely brutal, but that was primarily because of the heat. If it wasn't for the heat, the shooting part is not very strenuous. There is no running and gunning.

Mas and the instructors helping will walk you through the various skills and drills. How to draw and holster safely. There will be reloading drills, both non-live fire, and then of course between rounds of fire.

The only part of the drill that is at all strenuous is his qualification course (including the prep for it). He does have one stage where you shoot x rounds standing, then go down to one knee, shoot x rounds, and then go down to two knees and lean back on your haunches and shoot x rounds.

As there are people there are various ages and levels of flexibility, he tells you to do this part the best you can, and makes accommodations if this is difficult.

If I remember, there was also one brief round of firing from a squatting position, which again he explains to do what is comfortable for YOU.

So, you do need to be able to be on your feet, on the range for two 10 hour days. There are regular breaks during the two range days (I think we had more than normal, because he was worried about people getting heat stroke).

So, as long as you can handle two long days of shooting in general, I wouldn't be concerned about how strenuous it will be. The VAST majority of the drills and training require no physical exertion or great agility, and the handful of drills I described that require a bit, Mas will accommodate you if you have trouble.

From what I understand, his MAG-80 course, which I hope to take at some point, is more physically demanding and spends more time focusing on non-standard firing positions.

stak
06-15-2012, 14:40
By the way, if you only ever get to see one musical live on stage, make it be "Wicked." I'd drive up to 250 miles to see it again, and again, and again.

Just took my wife to see that last night. Fan-fricking-tastic! I'm upset we didn't make the drive a few years ago the last time it was in San Francisco. I better start saving now to take the kids.

DannyR
08-15-2012, 15:36
Well, we are two months closer to the class. Anyone else going?

Melissa5
08-15-2012, 18:39
I'm not going but thought I would weigh in on Georgio's. It's not bad...just OK. Also, there is a Hampton Inn in Summerville, plus tons of good places to eat. That's about 30 minutes away from the Comfort Inn in St. George. One place I would recommend is Sticky Fingers BBQ....excellent.

scccdoc
08-16-2012, 06:50
I'm not going but thought I would weigh in on Georgio's. It's not bad...just OK. Also, there is a Hampton Inn in Summerville, plus tons of good places to eat. That's about 30 minutes away from the Comfort Inn in St. George. One place I would recommend is Sticky Fingers BBQ....excellent.
Try "Firewater Grill" in Summerville,great lowcountry cuisine. Tell'em "Doc" sent you. Explore Charleston while you're down, especially the "Market" and "Shem Creek" ............... DOC

DannyR
08-16-2012, 06:55
The classes are stated to be 10 hours per day. That leaves little time for sight seeing.:whistling:

scccdoc
08-16-2012, 07:12
The classes are stated to be 10 hours per day. That leaves little time for sight seeing.:whistling:
Sightseeing? I'm talking GREAT food!

Glockrunner
08-16-2012, 07:42

I would have to say Summerville is about a 45 minute drive (well the way I drive interstate may be different) from B.E.L.T. Training. That's what it takes us when we take the short cuts.

Much better food available here though, and a wider veriety.

Dukes BBQ is very good in Walterboro but can't comment on St. George. A misconception here that all the "Dukes" are owned by the same family, just not so to my knowledge. And I just don't get to St. George enough to recommend any place there to eat.

But I did a search for ya.

Subway @ 5963 W Jim Bilton Blvd, Saint George

Dennys 113 MOTEL DRIVE ST. GEORGE, SC 29477 (843) 563-8106

KFC Of St George 5987 W Jim Bilton Blvd, Saint George, SC 29477

scccdoc
08-16-2012, 09:14
I would have to say Summerville is about a 45 minute drive (well the way I drive interstate may be different) from B.E.L.T. Training. That's what it takes us when we take the short cuts.

Much better food available here though, and a wider veriety.

Dukes BBQ is very good in Walterboro but can't comment on St. George. A misconception here that all the "Dukes" are owned by the same family, just not so to my knowledge. And I just don't get to St. George enough to recommend any place there to eat.

But I did a search for ya.

Subway @ 5963 W Jim Bilton Blvd, Saint George

Dennys 113 MOTEL DRIVE ST. GEORGE, SC 29477 (843) 563-8106

KFC Of St George 5987 W Jim Bilton Blvd, Saint George, SC 29477

In other words, just food. I know the town fairly well

scccdoc
08-16-2012, 09:21

The classes are:

Mag/20 Classroom

Mag/20 Live Fire

Mag/40--both

Complete descriptions and registration form at www.massadayoobgroup.com (http://www.massadayoobgroup.com)

Took a short course in basic shooting with Lisa Marie, she's really great. Highly recommend working with her. Look forward to November and meeting everyone! DOC