Confined to your home. . [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Confined to your home. .

wjv
06-08-2012, 10:27
Scenario:
You wake up one morning and hear sirens outside. You look out the window and see police, national guard and other official looking vehicle zipping by. Turning on your TV/Radio you discover that a major event is in progress. . For purposes of this question, it doesn’t matter what (Zombies, Plague, Alien Invaders).

The news announcer has stated that a 24x7 curfew will be in effect, starting in 30 minutes. The police, NG and such have “shoot to kill” orders and the military will be using some of their thousands of drones to patrol the area to enforce the curfew. The news announcer is also saying that the government doesn’t know how long the curfew will last (till the threat is over), but it very likely will be weeks.

Given that you’re smarter than most you immediately fill up all of your bathtubs and other containers with water, and then cover the tubs with plastic to prevent evaporation and contamination. (Or use a WaterBOB).

You have 30 minutes before the curfew starts to be able to run out to any outbuilding you have on your property, and grab any other supplies that you think might be useful. (For example, I keep my propane tanks and extra gas in our 20x12 barn rather than keeping it in the garage).

As you expected, within days the power, water and natural gas stop flowing and you are left with just what you have to survive.

So if you were confined to your home and any ATTACHED buildings such as a garage, and COULD NOT leave the house for any reason, under threat of instant death. . .

How long could you and your family survive?

Atomic Punk
06-08-2012, 10:43
just my wife and i. probably about 3 weeks of normal eating, mabey more.

WolfNotSheep
06-08-2012, 11:01
Long enough to become complacent...or dig a tunnel to my garage and turn it into a FOB.

Either way it sounds miserable. I was born a free man and I'll remain that way, regardless of the consquences. I've made hard decisions before and I'm sure I would again.

pugman
06-08-2012, 13:27
Considering it sounds like defense isn't a concern..a year (as long as the pooches can go outside)

I have three rain barrels right next to three windows on my first floor. Given 30 minutes its hook up 3 hoses. During a good rain storm I can easily collect 500 gallons of water.

We have an extraordinary large garage - I have 6 20# tanks in there which would be enough to cook for us for a long time.

I may even consider abandoning my house and heading to my MIL's boyfriend (I can make the drive in less than 5 minutes). Small trailer but nearly self sufficent. A sweet solar system, rain collection, canned foods for years. We just received jars of tomatoes and cinnamon pears he canned five years ago - tasted awesome.

My single concern is waste removal

Numismatist
06-08-2012, 13:30
Wolverines!

cowboy1964
06-08-2012, 17:02
You should watch "Right at Your Door".

Spiffums
06-09-2012, 06:40
Hrmmmm no way they could control EVERYONE so just do your stuff while the army shoots all the good boys just getting their life turned around in the cities.....

Next question.

Akita
06-09-2012, 08:26
Depend on how regular it rains. Thats my limiting factor for the realistic near term.

TangoFoxtrot
06-10-2012, 07:53
First off, the senario is a bit impossible. They government couldn't have personnel to watch each citizen's home to make sure no one goes outside in their own back yards. Confinement curfews usually mean off the streets and confine youself to your property.

Now with that being said. I have enough supplies to last about 6 months. I just don't see American soldiers gunning down american citizens on the streets that are not shooting at them.

G29Reload
06-10-2012, 11:16
So if you were confined to your home and any ATTACHED buildings such as a garage, and COULD NOT leave the house for any reason, under threat of instant death. . .

What? They're gonna post someone outside to execute you for walking out your own door?

I have 3 acres. It's one thing to have to stay on your own property. Another altogether to have to stay inside.

Unless its some kind of radiation issue, like I was x number of miles from a blast and the building survived. In which case I DESIRE to be down in my basement.

I have a month's supply of bottled water and the ability to purify more.

I have a year's supply of food. At least.

SFCSMITH(RET)
06-10-2012, 14:11
LOL.. where in the frack are all these vehicles and troops coming from?

I can't see or hear the road when looking out my window, so I would not know..

If I did know, and somehow they got 4 guys to guard all four sides of my house, I reckon I am good for quite sometime. But those dudes standing on my porch with guns drawn...? they got about 40 seconds.

Batesmotel
06-10-2012, 14:19
Within 72 hours the populace would revolt.

UneasyRider
06-10-2012, 19:52

Sooner.

wjv
06-10-2012, 22:07
The POINT isn't how the government could enforce a curfew, it's. .

How long could you survive in your home with zero outside support including utilities. . . . .

Paul53
06-11-2012, 00:58
30 minutes? 2 thoughts, quickly move to a better neighborhood, or take shelter in the Wallyworld that's 5 minutes away.

9mm +p+
06-11-2012, 02:17
Ha, I live out in the country, those boys can't be everywhere at once. I'd ignore it. I've got dogs to walk, curfew or not. And a garden to tend to.

TangoFoxtrot
06-11-2012, 04:45

I agree. Do you realize how many guns and how much ammo is sold in this country every week. Even if 50% of those folks had the stones to go out and revolt, it would start a civil war.

Stevekozak
06-11-2012, 05:47
Ha, I live out in the country, those boys can't be everywhere at once. I'd ignore it. I've got dogs to walk, curfew or not. And a garden to tend to.
Heck yeah! And if they come around, you can hit them with your tactical hoe!! :)

SFCSMITH(RET)
06-11-2012, 07:59

How long could you survive in your home with zero outside support including utilities. . . . .

Honestly, the fail point for ANYONE, is going to be water. Whether they have 1 gallon or a thousand in the house.

Your question/scenario is such that no matter how prepared, there is NO ability to resupply, unless your house has a artisian well in the basement.

Luckily, your scenario is just not possible. But for many here, if confined, lets say just to their property, the answer is "a long time" for some, it's near forever.

I have enough "woods" to supply me with firewood forever, I have a water source on my property, and the ability to capture/store/filter it for a very long time. I have plenty of the basics.. food.. guns.. ammo.. commo.. proper tools for gardening by hand.. seeds.. TP.. etc. etc. etc.

But as I said.. water is what a person needs, and in your scenario, none will be available.

So what is the ONE take away for you with this question...?

Make damn sure you have a good H2O plan, and a back-up or two.

kirgi08
06-11-2012, 08:36

With the drones folks seem ta wanta see over this nation

A real long time.'08. :cool:

jellis11
06-11-2012, 08:49
Wolverines!

count me in

Babynine
06-11-2012, 11:58
In my little urban two bedroom rental apartment I could go 6 weeks if I can't get to my rain barrel with my MSR filter. If I can get to my rain barrel, cooking fuel would be the limiting factor(besides waste disposal), and I keep enough denatured alcohol in my attached garage to cook indoors with my Trangia stoves for over 6 months. I have enough food to last that long, and I have praticed cooking it many times on my alcohol stoves.

Now in my folks 4-bedroom house on the other side of town, that I have been trying to make my bug-out-location for over 6 years now(Unsuccessfully), we would only last about 3-6 days, as storing water is a big no-no according to my father. Thier water storage consists of two cases of half liter bottles, about 7 gallon jugs, and one EMPTY 7 gallon Aquatainer....Thats all, for a house that would likely have family members coming to it from all directions(If we have more that 30 min... :)

My father is completely against storing any "extra" of anything at all, but he is the only nearby family member with a woodburning stove for heat during cold Wisconsin winters. At this point, he is now begining to see what is likely coming soon, but he cannot admit he was wrong to not start preparing earlier. So he chooses to not prepare at all!

My father would rather live his brainwashed lies straight to his grave, than make some preparations to give his family a fighting chance.....I think he now has his eye on one of those new shiny 3D lcd TVs.....

auto-5
06-11-2012, 12:20
This doesn't happen. It didn't happen on 911 it didn't happen at Katrina. It is never going to happen.

Mike2
06-11-2012, 15:41
Just for the fun of it, my family and I could go for approximately 9 months with no intervetion what so ever, we may have to cut down to a centra room to conserve heat during the winter but actually wouldnt be that bad, more of a pain n the buttocks than anything. During Katrina, we were down 18 days with no lights but had no issues, had plenty of gas, two gensets and plenty of food, the only thing that really sucked was taking cold showers, but it wasnt that bad because it was 98 degrees.

Ruble Noon
06-11-2012, 16:18
Honestly, the fail point for ANYONE, is going to be water. Whether they have 1 gallon or a thousand in the house.

Make damn sure you have a good H2O plan, and a back-up or two.

I've got that covered.

quake
06-11-2012, 19:04
Honestly, the fail point for ANYONE, is going to be water. Whether they have 1 gallon or a thousand in the house...

Agree. For most - myself included - that would be the first-felt crunch.

RWBlue
06-11-2012, 19:55

7 days beyond my water supply.

RWBlue
06-11-2012, 20:03
This doesn't happen. It didn't happen on 911 it didn't happen at Katrina. It is never going to happen.

I don't think the gov. will lock us in, but I have been snowed in. I have talked to others who have had trees fall and be stuck for a while.

It is a valid test.

RWBlue
06-11-2012, 20:07
Heck yeah! And if they come around, you can hit them with your tactical hoe!! :)

Do you pick her up by the feet?
:whistling:

quake
06-11-2012, 20:16
Do you pick her up by the feet?
:whistling:

That'd be "ho". ;)

M1A Shooter
06-11-2012, 23:16
id wait it out long enough for fort campbell to kill of the trouble makers and then go about business as usual once the complacency starts to set in with the local troops.

RCP
06-11-2012, 23:40
Depends, if that scenario were to occur while I was at work my main priority is going to be getting home to my family curfew or not.

TangoFoxtrot
06-12-2012, 04:50
Exactly RCP. I just don't see this happening at a convient time, if happening at all. Hell my city police dept can't handle the all the crime going on now, let alone handling an added curfew.

RWBlue
06-12-2012, 07:40
Exactly RCP. I just don't see this happening at a convient time, if happening at all. Hell my city police dept can't handle the all the crime going on now, let alone handling an added curfew.

Shoot on site curfew would be easier to enforce.

If they are not in uniform, bang. No ambulance. No internal affairs. No paperwork.

Aceman
06-13-2012, 03:54
Jeez - play along.

A few weeks (Family of five). Don't have the exact man-days count at the moment. (shame on ME!!!) I am assuming I can get to my pool, and the 17k gallons of water in it.

Making my first Rice bucket in the next week or two! But we are talking family of five. Have a nice garage re-org about to happen that's going to vastly increase the duration!!!!

My food is a mix of:
stocked pantry and pantry staples
Rotatable pantry supplies (canned spaghetti, etc...)
Stocked rice/beans
Stored extra food
Wise stuff

And soon big honking rice buckets!

TangoFoxtrot
06-13-2012, 04:22
Shoot on site curfew would be easier to enforce.

If they are not in uniform, bang. No ambulance. No internal affairs. No paperwork.

Easier said then done. There are more guns than people here and bullets would fly both ways.

quake
06-13-2012, 08:39
Jeez - play along.

A few weeks (Family of five). Don't have the exact man-days count at the moment. (shame on ME!!!) I am assuming I can get to my pool, and the 17k gallons of water in it.
Just had a thought - if the pool is above-ground, I wonder if it would be a good idea to install a thru-wall drain fitting on it. The idea would be to give a way to connect a hose or pipe to the pool near ground level, running to the house or wherever. Obviously, factors come into play such as gravity (the pool couldn't be downhill from the house), etc, but it might be worth considering. We've never had an above-ground pool (and only once had an in-ground), so I never gave it any thought. But seems like using a thru-the-wall drain fitting might be handy not only for cleaning/draining purposes but for emergency tapping purposes as well.

Making my first Rice bucket in the next week or two! But we are talking family of five. Have a nice garage re-org about to happen that's going to vastly increase the duration!!!!

My food is a mix of:
stocked pantry and pantry staples
Rotatable pantry supplies (canned spaghetti, etc...)
Stocked rice/beans
Stored extra food
Wise stuff

And soon big honking rice buckets!
:thumbsup: For long-term storage or just extended-term use, the bucketed bulk stuff really does let you do more than most other approaches imo. Doesn't have to be huge batches and massive undertakings either; this weekend I was near a Sam's, so I picked up 80lbs of beans & a 50-lb bag of popcorn for putting back. Haven't done anything with them yet other than put them into a storage room with a dehumidifier, but even small batches like that do gradually add up.

Lone Kimono
06-13-2012, 09:22
Of all the proposed situations which could play out, I think being confined to your home is the most likely. In all likelihood it could be self mandated. That's it's so important to have food and water storage.

It's also why I've resisted buying an electronic reader and have a room full of books. I also have tons of board games to keep the family occupied. The exercise bike, free weights, and elliptical machine should help keep us from going crazy as well.

glockguerilla
06-13-2012, 20:35

Yep. Something like this out here in wild wild west.

Plenty of supplies and good community connections.

Dbltapglock
06-14-2012, 13:55
delete

TangoFoxtrot
06-18-2012, 04:52
Interesting. Its funny you sometimes here PSA's on the radio to make sure you have at least 3 days worth of supplies at home for your families. Three days are they kidding me??? Look at Katrina and how local, state and federal government screwed up.

Here is an example of what the DHS is putting out on the net alone

Emergency Preparedness

91% of Americans believe it’s important to be prepared for emergencies. However, only 58% of households report having taken any steps at all to prepare. In order to encourage more Americans to prepare themselves, their families and their communities, the U.S. Department of Homeland Security’s Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) has sponsored public service advertisements (PSAs) that educate and empower Americans to prepare for and respond to all kinds of emergencies.

The Ready Campaign asks individuals to do three key things to prepare for the unexpected: 1) get an emergency supply kit, 2) make a family emergency plan, and 3) be informed about the different types of emergencies that could occur and their appropriate responses.

At the website www.ready.gov (http://www.ready.gov), Americans can find national and local preparedness information, and tools needed to prepare for and respond to potential emergencies.

The campaign also has a complete Spanish-language component, Listo. The campaign includes Spanish-language PSAs for all media types, its own website, www.listo.gov (http://www.ready.gov/translations/spanish/), and an information hotline, 1-888-SE-LISTO.

A family-friendly extension of the Ready Campaign, Ready Kids is a tool to help parents and teachers educate children, ages 8-12, about emergencies and how they can help their families prepare.

Ready Business, an extension of the U.S. Department of Homeland Security's successful Ready Campaign, is designed to educate owners and managers of small to medium-sized businesses about preparing their employees, operations, and assets in the event of an emergency.