A "Reasonable" & "Common Sense" Gun Law [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : A "Reasonable" & "Common Sense" Gun Law

glockman66
06-08-2012, 12:02
Possibly the only reason that it is a "Reasonable" & "Common Sense" Gun Law is because it is being written by two Republicans.:cool::cool:

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20120607/METRO02/206070483/1361/Initiative-seeks-higher-sentences-for--gun-criminals-
June 7, 2012 at 4:47 pm
Initiative seeks higher sentences for 'gun criminals'
By Lauren Abdel-Razzaq
The Detroit News

.."We have enough gun laws," said Bouchard. "We need gun criminals paying a higher price for their illegal behavior."..

janice6
06-08-2012, 12:19
More punishment means more costs to the state/feds. Money is more important to people/libs than safety. Change the laws, they will still be let loose as before.

JBnTX
06-08-2012, 12:39
"We have enough gun laws," said Bouchard. "We need gun criminals paying a higher price for their illegal behavior."

Amen!...:thumbsup:

Syclone538
06-08-2012, 12:53
Robbery is robbery, murder is murder. It shouldn't matter if you use a gun, knife, baseball bat, car, plastic bag, chloroform, ...

JBnTX
06-08-2012, 13:03
Robbery is robbery, murder is murder. It shouldn't matter if you use a gun, knife, baseball bat, car, plastic bag, chloroform, ...

Yes, but society isn't trying to ban knives, baseball bats, cars,
plastic bags or chloroform like they are guns.

We don't need any more restrictive gun laws.
We need stricter laws for people who commit crimes using a gun.

mtnglide
06-08-2012, 13:09
A pretty good gun law is already on the books. It's called the 2nd amendment to the Constitution.

JBnTX
06-08-2012, 14:01
A pretty good gun law is already on the books. It's called the 2nd amendment to the Constitution.

...and what does the 2nd amendment prescribe as a punishment for those who commit crimes with a gun?

That article is about stiffer punishment laws, not gun laws.

G-19
06-08-2012, 14:08
This has nothing to do with the 2nd amendment. It has nothing to do with gun control or violating your rights.

It has to do with making those that use a gun to commit a crime pay a higher price. Adding 25 years to prison sentences for gun related crimes makes sense to me. If the amount of people using guns to commit crimes decreases, it works in favor for the rest of us. If gun crime goes down, then no reason to encroach on our rights.

glockeglock
06-08-2012, 14:34

Cavalry Doc
06-08-2012, 15:07
Meh? :dunno:

I do like the idea of longer sentences for aggravating factors, but am not to hot on mandatory minimum sentencing, as there may be mitigating factors too.

countrygun
06-08-2012, 15:23
This has nothing to do with the 2nd amendment. It has nothing to do with gun control or violating your rights.

It has to do with making those that use a gun to commit a crime pay a higher price. Adding 25 years to prison sentences for gun related crimes makes sense to me. If the amount of people using guns to commit crimes decreases, it works in favor for the rest of us. If gun crime goes down, then no reason to encroach on our rights.

It completely misses the point of a law to give greater penalties for the tool used to commit the crime and it cheapens the justice for the victims, or their families, to give a lesser sentence because a lesser too was used.

Explain to an eight-year-old that if his Dad's killer hadn't used a baseball bat and instead chosen a gun he would have gotten a longer prison sentence.

maxsnafu
06-08-2012, 15:28
Meh? :dunno:

I do like the idea of longer sentences for aggravating factors, but am not to hot on mandatory minimum sentencing, as there may be mitigating factors too.

Based on past performance, giving judges sentencing discretion is like handing your sixteen year old the car keys and a quart of bourbon.

lancesorbenson
06-08-2012, 16:38
Based on past performance, giving judges sentencing discretion is like handing your sixteen year old the car keys and a quart of bourbon.

Because politicians are to trusted so much more than judges. Six of one, half dozen of the other.

Bren
06-08-2012, 16:57
Reason and common sense tell me that a person murdered with a knife or a hammer is just as dead as one murdered with a gun, so there is nothing reasonable or common-sense about pretending guns are magic and need special legal treatment. How about we make murder illegal? Heck, we could even give it the highest penalties.

countrygun
06-08-2012, 17:02
Reason and common sense tell me that a person murdered with a knife or a hammer is just as dead as one murdered with a gun, so there is nothing reasonable or common-sense about pretending guns are magic and need special legal treatment. How about we make murder illegal? Heck, we could even give it the highest penalties.

Apparently we have to account for the fact that some methods make them "Deader" than others, and it's the tools to blame.

It's hard for me to think that someone who believes that, "guns don't cause crime", wants heavier penalties for crimes using guns. Seems oxymoronic to me

Gunnut 45/454
06-08-2012, 17:45
Why don't they just ensure they get the max for the crimes they commit! Actually enforce the death penalty.:faint: You get one year for appeals then we stick the needle in! Not 10 years of appeals!:steamed:

Jerry
06-08-2012, 17:46
It always amazes me when people, especially people that profess to be pro gun advocate/champion and generally agree that stricter punishment for crimes commuted with a gun is a good thing. How about crimes committed with Automobiles, swords, knives, bricks, bats, broken bottles? Yes I know... people are deader if the crime is committed with a firearm and people are "more" robbed if robbed at gun point rather than at knife point. :upeyes:

How about we punish them for the crime committed and not what it was commuted with. Let me see here... If I beat that guy to death with a bat or stab him to death and I get caught I'll only get life, but I shoot him to death I could get life plus 25. Ok I'll use a brick. :rofl:

glockeglock
06-08-2012, 18:00

GAFinch
06-08-2012, 18:04
Guns are just tools, but they're more efficient tools. RPG's are treated differently than potato guns. Switchblades and knives longer than 3" are frequently treated differently than regular pocket knives. Nuclear bombs are treated differently than cluster bombs.

countrygun
06-08-2012, 18:32
Guns are just tools, but they're more efficient tools. RPG's are treated differently than potato guns. Switchblades and knives longer than 3" are frequently treated differently than regular pocket knives. Nuclear bombs are treated differently than cluster bombs.

The crimes committed are the same but, if it will make you feel better I think armed robbery with a nuclear bomb should have a heavier penalty than with a club:upeyes:

Get real, seperating the tool is just a step on the road to the stupid "hate crimes" laws we have. First we punish the crime, them we move to the tool and set different penalties, then we jump into the mind of the criminal and tack on extra penalties for having "Bad and unapproved, politically incorrect thoughts during the act of murder":upeyes:

Punish the crime, regardless of the tool used or the motivation. anything else is horse-dumplings.

Bruce H
06-08-2012, 19:05
Anybody that even suggests foolishness like this needs them and their families killed. Stop the gene pool then and there.

greentriple
06-08-2012, 19:16
http://www2.law.ucla.edu/volokh/2am.pdf

Also, consider Mexico has absolute prohibition on guns, and they have ZERO , gun violence.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Cavalry Doc
06-08-2012, 19:19

Both my kids are past that age. And I could have given them a quart of bourbon and given them a destination for the bottle, and it would have arrived untouched. (not admitting anything, but I am darn sure).

But that is off topic. Judges should be able to be trusted, but it really depends, doesn't it.

Location, location, location.

lancesorbenson
06-08-2012, 20:13
If gun crime goes down, then no reason to encroach on our rights.

Since when do liberals need reasons in order to encroach on our rights? Your na´vetÚ is charming in sort of an aw shucks kind of way.

certifiedfunds
06-08-2012, 20:45

Which makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

No surprise I guess.

Ringo S.
06-09-2012, 10:35
http://www2.law.ucla.edu/volokh/2am.pdf

Also, consider Mexico has absolute prohibition on guns, and they have ZERO , gun violence.

"Guns? We don't need no stinking guns!" (c)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-18363522

"Fourteen dismembered bodies have been discovered in a lorry in north-eastern Mexico, local officials say."
-
"
The bodies were discovered just a day after the frontrunner in Mexico's presidential election, Enrique Pena Nieto, visited the state, promising to reduce the murder rate if elected, our correspondent says.
Last month, 49 beheaded and mutilated corpses were found dumped in the northern city of Monterrey."

Jerry
06-09-2012, 11:03
"Guns? We don't need no stinking guns!" (c)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-18363522

"Fourteen dismembered bodies have been discovered in a lorry in north-eastern Mexico, local officials say."
-
"
The bodies were discovered just a day after the frontrunner in Mexico's presidential election, Enrique Pena Nieto, visited the state, promising to reduce the murder rate if elected, our correspondent says.
Last month, 49 beheaded and mutilated corpses were found dumped in the northern city of Monterrey."

Mexico needs laws about chopping people up. Use a hand-saw get 2 extra years. Ax adds 4. Machete 5.5. Chane saw will get you 10 because you lose carbon credits for using fossil-fuel. :rofl: