custom 200gr mold sign up [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : custom 200gr mold sign up

ctious
06-09-2012, 09:46
This is over on cast boolits. Just thought I would let u guys know. It's a 200gr flat point. But also can make hollow points. They are 180gr with the hollow point.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=154736

TDC20
06-09-2012, 10:56
Dang that looks good! You guys are going to make me start casting bullets. Like I need another hobby! :whistling:

ctious
06-09-2012, 11:05
Dang that looks good! You guys are going to make me start casting bullets. Like I need another hobby! :whistling:

I just ordered a bunch of stuff. I already cast jigs for fishing so it was a small step for me. The mold I linked looks great. I cant wait to get it. Just may be a few months. I bought some cheap lee molds to hold me over for now.

ctious
06-09-2012, 11:07
I like the looks. The only thing personally would have done different is maybe 2 lube cuts.

TDC20
06-09-2012, 12:43
I like the looks. The only thing personally would have done different is maybe 2 lube cuts.
I was thinking maybe a gas check base would be perfect, but since I don't have a horse in this race, it's irrelevant. Plus I really don't know what I"m talking about when it comes to casting bullets! :rofl:

ctious
06-09-2012, 13:09
I was thinking maybe a gas check base would be perfect, but since I don't have a horse in this race, it's irrelevant. Plus I really don't know what I"m talking about when it comes to casting bullets! :rofl:

Gas check would be nice. But that adds a lot of cost to making them.

But if it was set up for a gas check I would be ok with that.

Yondering
06-09-2012, 21:31
Where would you get gas checks? Have you ever looked for .40 cal gas checks? They pretty much don't exist, except through Gator check group buys, or one of the custom dies for making checks.

A plain base soda can check would be the easiest option for this bullet.

I like this one, but the meplat is quite a bit wider than I would have chosen; it's wide enough to limit the OAL that will work in the magazine. I've experimented with some wide meplats like this, and found it's easy to get 5-6 to feed out of the magazine, but when you load up a full mag they start to bind.

Being a Mihec mold though, I may order one anyway.

ctious
06-09-2012, 22:00
Where would you get gas checks? Have you ever looked for .40 cal gas checks? They pretty much don't exist, except through Gator check group buys, or one of the custom dies for making checks.

A plain base soda can check would be the easiest option for this bullet.

I like this one, but the meplat is quite a bit wider than I would have chosen; it's wide enough to limit the OAL that will work in the magazine. I've experimented with some wide meplats like this, and found it's easy to get 5-6 to feed out of the magazine, but when you load up a full mag they start to bind.

Now u have me.wondering. I may cut some heads on 200gr xtp to match the .322. Make 15 dummy rounds and see.

ctious
06-09-2012, 22:03
But even if one has to take it to 1.24 it should not matter being the overall length is short of the cast. Should still give plenty of case room for powders.

dm1906
06-09-2012, 22:08
......I like this one, but the meplat is quite a bit wider than I would have chosen; it's wide enough to limit the OAL that will work in the magazine. I've experimented with some wide meplats like this, and found it's easy to get 5-6 to feed out of the magazine, but when you load up a full mag they start to bind.

I agree. I was just about to jump on board until I got a good look at the drawing. Meplate too big. I have other uses for a heavy cast in a 10mm (not constrained to a Glock mag), but the meplate dia. is way outside optimal.

Yondering
06-09-2012, 22:09
Let us know what you come up with, I'd like to know if it's just my mag. The key will be in making 15 dummy rounds, not just one. I've gotten almost a full wadcutter to work, if it's one of the top few rounds in the mag. Down deeper in the mag body is where I've had problems.

I posted the same question on the castboolits forum, whether the OP had tested one dummy round or a mag full. I hate to be the naysayer when a bunch of people are already committed to the buy, but if I'm going to spend $120+ for a mold, it better be designed right. I do have a couple Mihec cramer style molds from previous group buys, and really like them, Miha's work is top quality. A 40-160 HP and a 45-200 HP.

Yondering
06-09-2012, 22:16
But even if one has to take it to 1.24 it should not matter being the overall length is short of the cast. Should still give plenty of case room for powders.

No, it still matters, if you want to reach top velocity anyway. If you're satisfied with a little less velocity, it should work fine.

There's also the consideration that the meplat diameter is too large for hunting, proportional to the bullet diameter. 70% is the number that comes up over and over again in the WFN handgun hunting circles. In the 10mm, 70% is .280". I haven't shot any animals with bullets that have oversize meplats, but believe the reports of a few who have. IIRC, the problem with the large meplat was lack of stability, although that should be influenced by a bunch of other factors too. It seems to me that maybe a heavier bullet should handle a larger meplat, but I don't know if that's the case. The 70% number is generally used in reference to heavy-for-caliber bullets anyway.

ctious
06-09-2012, 22:34
Hmm u make some good points. I just cut one down. 14 more to go.

What are the bear tooth? I thought they were .31.

Meathead9
06-09-2012, 22:49
Beartooth advertises a .31" meplat, and DT advertises a .32" meplat. I have loaded and fired the DT 200gr WFNGC to 1.26" with no issues.

Yondering
06-09-2012, 23:39
I just loaded up a bunch of dummy rounds to experiment with this again. I used a hollow point punch to expand the noses of some of my cast bullets to .322 (really .320-.325"), and re-contoured the noses to match the profile on the group buy as best I could.

Loaded to 1.260", I could only get 8 rounds in the magazine. The first 7 would have functioned perfectly. Had to go down to 1.220" to get all 15 in there, but 1.210" to get enough mag spring tension for any kind of reliability. That's .050" shorter than I want them to be.

Meathead9, maybe it's a difference of magazines? Were you loading full mags, or just partly full? There's a curve on the inside front corners of the glock 20 mag I experimented with; the wide meplats were binding up in this curve.

FWIW, the same bullets I used for this experiment, without expanded noses, have a .290" meplat. I load these to 1.255", and fit 15 in the same magazine with no issues.

nickE10mm
06-14-2012, 12:51
Dang. I may have to start casting....

2ndwind
06-14-2012, 17:57
Youndering.... Thanks for the heads up.... Just posted a "I'll take one" post over on Cast Bullet Forums..... Would have really sucked to invest in a top shelf mold that didn't feed well from a Glock 20 magazine.....

A general "hello" to everyone here... Been lurking for awhile..... Picked up a Model 20 SF a few weeks ago along with a KKM 6" barrel.... Got the conversion kit to load 10 MM on the Dillion 550..... 1500 Starline brass.... The 6 cavity Lee 175 grain mold showed up today.....

I have been wanting to take the 10 MM plunge for a long time.... You guys helped push me over the edge.... Thanks....(I think) :grin:

nickE10mm
06-21-2012, 12:41

By the way, a friend turned me on to Accurate Molds (www.accuratemolds.com) and said he's had GREAT luck with them. He said the Mihecs were "works of art" but the Accurate Molds' product is excellent. They carry 3-4 different wide nosed 200gr 10mm/.40 bullets.... widest meplat is .28" i think.

Check em out.... Let me know what you think. I don't even cast yet....

Yondering
06-21-2012, 20:19
By the way, a friend turned me on to Accurate Molds (www.accuratemolds.com (http://www.accuratemolds.com)) and said he's had GREAT luck with them. He said the Mihecs were "works of art" but the Accurate Molds' product is excellent. They carry 3-4 different wide nosed 200gr 10mm/.40 bullets.... widest meplat is .28" i think.

Check em out.... Let me know what you think. I don't even cast yet....

I haven't bought anything from Accurate molds, but they have a good selection of designs and I hear they are good quality. The part that turns me off is the prices; they are comparable in price to a Mihec cramer style hollow point mold, for a solid bullet design.

I may try one eventually, but haven't seen anything in their line-up that I just have to have at the moment. Possibly one of their 125gr 9mm molds in the future...

nickE10mm
06-21-2012, 20:25
I haven't bought anything from Accurate molds, but they have a good selection of designs and I hear they are good quality. The part that turns me off is the prices; they are comparable in price to a Mihec cramer style hollow point mold, for a solid bullet design.

I may try one eventually, but haven't seen anything in their line-up that I just have to have at the moment. Possibly one of their 125gr 9mm molds in the future...

I guess the reason I mentioned them is because they would ship the mold in a week or so. No waiting. No group buy. Etc

:-) sounds tempting to me

Any Cal.
06-21-2012, 20:38
I guess the reason I mentioned them is because they would ship the mold in a week or so. No waiting. No group buy. Etc

That is my issue with the group buys, I want it NOW...:supergrin:

Yondering
06-21-2012, 22:42

Yes, there is that. They have a 200gr bullet listed that is pretty close to the group buy bullet on castboolits right now; if you only wanted the solid version, that would be a good way to go.

Of course, there's always Mountain Molds too; the wait is longer (6 weeks or so) but you can spec the bullet however you want it. Like your own little group buy, without the debates over bullet dimensions.

Edit: mold # 40-195P is the one at Accurate molds I'm referring too. I really like the looks of #40-200C though, partly because it looks like you could lube just the bottom groove and load this in 40 S&W brass at 1.260". Hmmm, now you've got me thinking... I see you can add different bullet styles to the same mold for $15 too.

nickE10mm
06-22-2012, 06:43
Yes, there is that. They have a 200gr bullet listed that is pretty close to the group buy bullet on castboolits right now; if you only wanted the solid version, that would be a good way to go.

Of course, there's always Mountain Molds too; the wait is longer (6 weeks or so) but you can spec the bullet however you want it. Like your own little group buy, without the debates over bullet dimensions.

Edit: mold # 40-195P is the one at Accurate molds I'm referring too. I really like the looks of #40-200C though, partly because it looks like you could lube just the bottom groove and load this in 40 S&W brass at 1.260". Hmmm, now you've got me thinking... I see you can add different bullet styles to the same mold for $15 too.

Yep, the "#40-200C" is the one I like, too ....

My friend said he's used this guy and they are excellent molds.