Case falling through mag well when shooting with no mag inserted? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Case falling through mag well when shooting with no mag inserted?

cowboy1964
06-09-2012, 12:57
I haven't done this in a long time but I remember that cases will generally fall through the mag well rather than being ejected if shot while no mag is inserted.

Is that true of other guns as well or is it a Glock thing?

samurairabbi
06-09-2012, 13:22
I have seen it happen OCCASIONALLY when guns are fired, but not generally enough to be predictable. It becomes predictable when the slide is hand-cycled.

fastbolt
06-09-2012, 15:59
Over the years I've noticed that empty cases falling down into the mag well may sometimes be more common than not when talking about other pistols. First time I became aware of it was when shooting 1911's, FWIW.

The next round up in the mag, and the mag follower (when the mag is empty, in many pistols with detachable mags) help keep the fired case that's being extracted lifted high enough to be properly hit by the ejector.

Yes, other influences can have an effect on whether this happens with any consistency, such as shooter grip, ammo power level, slide travel distance, case rim dimensions, extractor tension, etc. Maybe sometimes even how the pistol may be canted and/or elevated (gravity).

Nothing surprising.