SBR Barrel Legal Question. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : SBR Barrel Legal Question.

Nutt51
06-09-2012, 13:45
I have 2 complete AR's in 5.56 caliber, one a 14.5 inch barrel and one 16 inch barrel. I own no other uppers or lowers.
I want to build a complete upper in 300 Blackout with a
12 inch barrel, which will make it a SBR under NFA regs.
My question is, if I find the particular 12 inch barrel that I want online, can I legally purchase it and keep it in my house with my other two AR's until I get ready to file my paperwork and get
the lower purchased and engraved.
The make and length barrel I want is hard to come by right now, and if I find one, I would like to be able to purchase it as soon as I can by law. Many thanks for any help.

Big Bird
06-09-2012, 13:57
Can you buy it legally? Yes

Store it in your house? Probably not.

Store it at your parent's house, friends house etc. Sure, provided they also do not own ARs.

FatBoy
06-09-2012, 14:44
Boy, I would NOT do that. Sounds too much like "Constructive Intent" foolishness.

On a side note, if you were to get your lower done up as a "pistol", you could have the bbl. When your paperwork is done, then get your stock.

FB

AK_Stick
06-09-2012, 14:57
buy a lower, and make it into a pistol lower, complete with pistol buffer.

assemble gun, and use as pistol, until your SBR paperwork gets approved. Then pull the buffer tube, and make it an SBR.

Armchair Commando
06-09-2012, 16:02
I have 2 complete AR's in 5.56 caliber, one a 14.5 inch barrel and one 16 inch barrel. I own no other uppers or lowers.
My question is, if I find the particular 12 inch barrel that I want online, can I legally purchase it and keep it in my house with my other two AR's until I get ready to file my paperwork and get
The make and length barrel I want is hard to come by right now, and if I find one, I would like to be able to purchase it as soon as I can by law. Many thanks for any help.

Wait til you get the approved tax stamp back from the BATF, Or do as AK said!

PlasticGuy
06-09-2012, 16:55
buy a lower, and make it into a pistol lower, complete with pistol buffer.

assemble gun, and use as pistol, until your SBR paperwork gets approved. Then pull the buffer tube, and make it an SBR.
This is the easiest and safest option.

uptomyneck
06-12-2012, 07:54
If it's just a barrel, buy it. I doubt anyone here can point to a prior incident where the ATF arrested someone for just a barrel lying around.

eracer
06-12-2012, 09:06
If it's just a barrel, buy it. I doubt anyone here can point to a prior incident where the ATF arrested someone for just a barrel lying around.
This.

Heck, I bought my 8" upper well before I got the stamp back for my lower. I had two stripped lowers and three complete rifles.

I kept the upper in a box at the office, away from every other AR-15 part. I never worried about 'constructive intent.'

Kyle M.
06-12-2012, 09:11
I honestly find the whole SBR thing rcompletely stupid. I own a Beretta U22 neos with the carbine kit. I can stick the 16" barrel on it w/o the stock but if I put the stock on it with the factory 6" barrel I'm now going to prison. Maybe someday they will just get rid of tax stamps and allow people to be free, but I have a feeling that that is asking too much.

DScottHewitt
06-18-2012, 13:08

Is the 14.5" one of those ones with a permanent flash-hider to make it 16"?

If you own a registered SBR already, you can get another upper for it.