What is the screw for? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : What is the screw for?

dmdmx2
06-09-2012, 20:46
Hi, I'll admit that my knowledge of 1911 parts is minimal. So what is the little hex screw in the trigger for? Is it to adjust for over travel? My manual doesn't mention it or how to use it. I really appreciate the time taken to answer my question! :cool:

SauerChoi
06-09-2012, 20:55
I believe that is to adjust the tension/take up on the trigger.

Veedubklown
06-09-2012, 20:58
It actually has nothing to do with your trigger tension, and is in fact your over-travel stop. It you adjust it too far in, your trigger wont work, because you've moved it to the point where the trigger bar will not push the sear off the hammer because the screw is hitting the magazine release.

You use a small allen head wrench in the hole to adjust your over-travel by going to the right to shorten it. I would adjust it just beyond where the trigger doesnt function, then back off maybe a half or full turn. I've built my over-travel stop into my trigger. Just like yours, once it's set, it needs no adjustment. There is nothing that giving yourself more over-travel will produce, except make your trigger reset unnecessarily long.

Have fun!

SauerChoi
06-09-2012, 21:00
Oh I see. thanks for clearing that up.

dmdmx2
06-09-2012, 22:45
Veedubklown (http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/member.php?u=152808)thanks a lot for explaining to me what the screw is for! My .45 has no over travel so I think I will leave it as it was set at the factory. And since I'm going to CCW it, I don't want to risk taking a chance at my .45 not firing because things won't work properly. As they say if it ain't broke, don't fix it. But thanks for the gunsmithing lesson, you have my gratitude!
dmdmx2:cool:

Veedubklown
06-10-2012, 00:06
Veedubklown (http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/member.php?u=152808)thanks a lot for explaining to me what the screw is for! My .45 has no over travel so I think I will leave it as it was set at the factory. And since I'm going to CCW it, I don't want to risk taking a chance at my .45 not firing because things won't work properly. As they say if it ain't broke, don't fix it. But thanks for the gunsmithing lesson, you have my gratitude!
dmdmx2:cool:

I would then check the screw, by inserting a wrench, and see if it can spin easily with just finger twisting. If so, it may vibrate itself out of adjustment, possibly to the point where it would disable your trigger. If so, remove the screw, and use a dab of loc-tite on it, then reset the adjustment.

bac1023
06-10-2012, 05:42
Over travel

hvyhawler
06-10-2012, 15:39
blue loctite

ca survivor
06-10-2012, 17:55
on my carry 1911, I loctite the screw all the way in and file the screw little by little until I get the over travel I want, but that's hard work, having to take the gun apart many times, sometimes I just take the screw out.