The Remaining [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : The Remaining

Ruble Noon
06-09-2012, 21:13
The Remaining: D.J. Molles: Amazon.com: Kindle Store@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51hQRhHoCnL.@@AMEPARAM@@51hQRhHoCnL

Pretty good read if you're looking for a SHTF zombie novella with better weaponry than The Walking Dead.

TACLOAD
06-09-2012, 22:38
It's a good series.

Spiffums
06-10-2012, 07:37
The Remaining: D.J. Molles: Amazon.com: Kindle Store (http://www.amazon.com/The-Remaining-ebook/dp/B0070B0JW6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1339297738&sr=8-1&keywords=the+remaining)

Pretty good read if you're looking for a SHTF zombie novella with better weaponry than The Walking Dead.

You mean no Python? :crying:

Ruble Noon
06-10-2012, 12:44
It's a good series.

Yeah, I just finished the second in the series. Now I have to wait for the third installment.

You mean no Python? :crying:

No Python but there are M-4's and M-203's.

captdreifus
06-14-2012, 02:54
Pretty good book

redbrd
06-16-2012, 06:26
Just read the first two books. I was a bit disappointed with the ending of the first. It ended rather abruptly. If the second book wouldn't have been out I would have been I would probably have a different review of the books. Together it was a good book, fast read and suspenseful.

G17gen3
06-16-2012, 17:54
no good; couldn't find it for my nook

Ruble Noon
06-16-2012, 18:46
no good; couldn't find it for my nook

Buy a Kindle. :whistling:

quake
06-16-2012, 18:49
Ruble Noon - thanks for the heads-up; I hadn't heard of it before and just finished it on my kindle fire. Ordered the second volume but haven't started it yet.

I'll try to keep spoilers out, but while I liked it enough to buy the second one (it's just $2.99 after all), I just constantly wanted to slap that guy. He's supposed to be some multi-badge, specially-trained & selected, one-of-four-dozen-in-the-country, spec-ops warrior, yet makes teenager mistakes with his gear & loadout constantly, and makes other blatantly poor choices as well.

Taking refuge in a garaged pickup truck in an abandoned house overnight; so concerned with the dangers that he keeps the key in the ignition in case they have to bolt with no warning. Okay, makes sense, but he doesn't bother to check the house itself for any useful items or supplies before doing so? Seriously, pack the truck for potentially bugging out while it's calm and you have time. My wife & kids know better than that; you'd think an uber-warrior would.

On his personal gear; going out into a post-apocalyptic world full of danger & unknowns. He carries an M203, ok; but no backup pistol and no knife other than a small boot knife?

And going out into that world with no infrastructure or utility-grid left, with no night vision and (good lord) no light source at all; no flashlight, even a keychain flashlight? I mean, I carry those even in normal times in rural arkansas. Put me intentionally in a mad-max world, and I'm gonna be a multi-pistol-carrying, flashlight-toting goober.

Don't mean to sound completely negative, and like I said I did buy the second one, but some of that stuff was hard for me to get past.

Ruble Noon
06-16-2012, 19:05
Ruble Noon - thanks for the heads-up; I hadn't heard of it before and just finished it on my kindle fire. Ordered the second volume but haven't started it yet.

I'll try to keep spoilers out, but while I liked it enough to buy the second one (it's just $2.99 after all), I just constantly wanted to slap that guy. He's supposed to be some multi-badge, specially-trained & selected, one-of-four-dozen-in-the-country, spec-ops warrior, yet makes teenager mistakes with his gear & loadout constantly, and makes other blatantly poor choices as well.

Taking refuge in a garaged pickup truck in an abandoned house overnight; so concerned with the dangers that he keeps the key in the ignition in case they have to bolt with no warning. Okay, makes sense, but he doesn't bother to check the house itself for any useful items or supplies before doing so? Seriously, pack the truck for potentially bugging out while it's calm and you have time. My wife & kids know better than that; you'd think an uber-warrior would.

On his personal gear; going out into a post-apocalyptic world full of danger & unknowns. He carries an M203, ok; but no backup pistol and no knife other than a small boot knife?

And going out into that world with no infrastructure or utility-grid left, with no night vision and (good lord) no light source at all; no flashlight, even a keychain flashlight? I mean, I carry those even in normal times in rural arkansas. Put me intentionally in a mad-max world, and I'm gonna be a multi-pistol-carrying, flashlight-toting goober.

Don't mean to sound completely negative, and like I said I did buy the second one, but some of that stuff was hard for me to get past.

I agree, there were several times that that I thought WTF? Overall though I thought it was a pretty good story.

thejellster05
06-17-2012, 10:48
Just bought it, we will see how it goes....

Akita
06-18-2012, 13:03
Buy a Kindle. :whistling:

NEVER. Amazon monitors and alters Kindles. (and thats not tinfoil- search for what amazon did with Orwell's 1984)

However, they have a free kindle reader for your PC and after d/l'ing, you can move the files where the amazon nazis cant find it.
I do this all the time and have several dozen of their free books(and i have yet to buy anything from them).