Magazine issue [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Magazine issue

deadandgone
06-10-2012, 10:02
Well I had a magazine issue at the range. I feel pretty stupid because I had been using that mag as a carry mag in my g29...it is a 15 round mag that I had put a sleeve on and stuck in my truck and never test fired it....its a Glock, right?
I had it loaded with some Underwood ammo, hollowpoints 165 gr and it started jamming. The spent shells would eject but the next bullet would stovepipe and not go into the chamber. I racked the slide and still the bullet would jam. I'm starting to get agitated when I remembered that I had my normal 10 round mag in the truck in the parking lot, with my carry ammo Gold Dots Underwood. So, in a nervous sweat, thinking that my gun is messed up, I go get my regular mag and come back and give it a whirl. I put the same ammo in that mag, trying to eliminate one issue at a time. Worked like a charm....no jams, worked just fine. Well now I'm starting to feel a little better....and I load up my Gold Dots. Smooth as butter!!!!Everything worked like it was supposed to. Then I look at the mags side by side...there appear to be some small differences, not enough that you could see in a photo comparison but obviously there is something amiss. I guess my lesson that I learned for the day is don't place blind trust in anything related to a gun....Glock or not. We've all heard it said a million times...its a Glock, it works....I guess I drank the koolaid, and it could have cost me....thank God I figured it out at the range

dpadams6
06-10-2012, 10:11
Ive posted a few times on this issue. When you put the longer magazine in the smaller glocks, you will get this. When squeezing the gun during firing, your pinky is putting pressure on the magazine, thereby changing the angle of the magazine and top round In the gun as its feeding. I work in a Dept. That issues 31/33. Anytime the guys put their 31 mag In their 33, they usually get a few ftf.

deadandgone
06-10-2012, 12:16
I guess this makes sense in that support for the mag does not extend the length of the mag, thus the possibility of a slight angle change....just enough for a hiccup

I guess I never ran across this issue in my meanderings on the forum, otherwise I probably wouldn't have tried it...live and learn

dpadams6
06-10-2012, 14:01
I know a lot of guys that use the larger Mag's in their sub compacts, or at least as an extra back up mag. I have a 29 myself and would like more than the 10 rounder mag, but not worth the risk. Imho

txgunguy
06-10-2012, 15:38
Strange. Were you putting pressure on the mag at all while holding the gun? What are the differences between the mags that you mention?

deadandgone
06-10-2012, 16:21
duplicate post...sorry

deadandgone
06-10-2012, 16:25
Strange. Were you putting pressure on the mag at all while holding the gun? What are the differences between the mags that you mention?

It is a glock 29 with underwood ammo...I'm going to have a firm grip because it will buck...the problem mag was a g20 mag which is a little longer than the stock g29 mag, and does not have full continual support...it might wiggle at the bottom, which it did with me I believe, just enough to cause an issue. The visual differences on the top of the mags are minor...both factory stock. I think the slight angle change was enough for the problem to happen. The fact that it has happened to others as well is enough for me to consider it case closed...lesson learned.

txgunguy
06-10-2012, 20:20

It is a glock 29 with underwood ammo...I'm going to have a firm grip because it will buck...the problem mag was a g20 mag which is a little longer than the stock g29 mag, and does not have full continual support...it might wiggle at the bottom, which it did with me I believe, just enough to cause an issue. The visual differences on the top of the mags are minor...both factory stock. I think the slight angle change was enough for the problem to happen. The fact that it has happened to others as well is enough for me to consider it case closed...lesson learned.

It has definitely happened in other calibers as well. Longer mags in the sub compacts can cause jams because of the reasons you already stated. I wouldn't worry about it at all if it functions with the 29 mags.

dpadams6
06-11-2012, 06:06
How can you not put pressure on the mag with your pinky finger? In the 29 especially just to hang on to it. But other calibers as well. Try as you might, but I would think most would still put pressure on the mag even if you tried not to.

fastbolt
06-11-2012, 10:23
Some thoughts ...

As has been stated, when you run magazines from larger models in smaller models, you might encounter an occasional issue. I suspect the harder recoiling calibers (and resulting faster slide velocities) might be more prone to exhibit this more often. I've seen it happen with G27's using G23 magazines, but not G26's using G19 mags, for example. Remember, the same mag spring being run in a longer mag body might start to lose tension (especially as it ages) in a more noticeable way when being run in a short, faster cycling gun.

A magazine is an "assembly". It's made of separate parts that somebody assembled.

Personally, I like to not only inspect each magazine before I put it into my carry/range rotation, but test-fire it for normal function with at least 25-50 rounds of the ammunition I'm going to be using in it.

The magazine is at the very heart of optimal feeding & functioning in a semiauto pistol. Inspection & normal maintenance can help make sure its in good condition, and remains in good condition. ;)

dm1906
06-11-2012, 11:00
All good arguments, but I think you guys may be talking to the wrong end of the horse, so to speak.

[my opinion, FWIW]
Applying pressure to the bottom of the mag, changing the "angle" of the bullet to be fed into action, is not happening. The additional pressure at the bottom of the grip/mag, coupled with the additional mass of the mag and rounds, and the use of high(er) pressure rounds, is a LOT of variables to change from the original configuration. The now longer grip also allows for a more firm grasp, adding to the reduction of energy transfer to the shooter, and/or muzzle rotation (more energy remains in the action). I think it's a LOT more likely the physical operation of the action is altered in such a way, a misfeed can occur. All of the above will, in fact, alter the pistol's CG (center of gravity), and alter the timing of the action. This means, the added mass of the larger mag, and the added mass of more rounds, changes the point of rotation during a firing event, and the additional total mass reduces the frame movement during action movement, which will transfer more recoil energy to the barrel and slide, at a timing different that is designed, or compensated for. Add it all up, and the likelihood of a round being readily available to the chambering position may be decreased. Theoretically speaking, of course.

We hear frequent reports that changing only one thing, such as the RSA, renders a weapon unreliable. Changing many variables surrounding the spring may yield a similar result, for example.

humphreys19
06-12-2012, 11:56
My 2 cents:

Unless there is some sort of damage to the mag well or the magazine, there should be no problem using a "long" mag in a Glock. Think about this, the G30 has a reputation for being accurate and reliable ( skipping the early 30sf frtb problems, no relevance ), and the standard magazine is the 10 rounder--- a "long" magazine. Every shot taken with that magazine has the pinky exerting pressure on the mag, yet my 30 shoots 100%. It also functions 100% with every G21 magazine I have.
The same gun, with its KKM .45-10mm barrel, does not care whether I feed it with G29 or G20 magazines.
I have also witnessed a lot of guys using G17 mags in their G26's with no malfs.
Each gun, and each magazine, have their own "personality", and must be tested before being trusted for defensive purposes. I have no problem using my "long" mag in my "short" Glock, but it has been thoroughly tested.

Happy Shooting, Tom

Rick305
06-18-2012, 22:54
I took the RSA Wolff with 21# out , I had a similar issue when taking my then (flawless) g29 to the range with the wolf rsa , loaded the g20 mag up -- and had 3/4 back to back "jams" (easily cleared). No malfunctions with the 29mag , and after the first few ... The 165 UW's did fine in the 20mag , but still -- first shot + jam = bye bye Wolff RSA.

I now have the stock guide rod , and the only mods are the rocket non drop in w/ recommended 6# striker. I actitualy want to put the glock spring in but do not have any tools and no idea how to do it. (my rocket is the complete kit so I have the TCT + stuff in my signature - Wolff rsa (she's in the glock box now) .

Weird , I had the same problem , same magazine , same ammo ?