Rottweiler questions [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Rottweiler questions

OctoberRust
06-10-2012, 15:45
Hey guys, just picked up a rottweiler the other day. Super sweet dog, he's almost 6 months old and 60 pounds. The guy said he's a pure breed, but wasn't motivated to get the AKC papers and just wanted him to go to a good home. I brought him to petco with me today to grab him a kennel until he's fully house trained and bigger, and an employee insisted this is not a rottweiler. I didn't spend too much time arguing, I looked a little online, and it seems the way rottweilers look from their snout/ears vary. Was this guy correct?

Also, either way is fine with me, I've only had this dog for 2 days now and already love him to death! He's the most relaxed puppy I've ever seen! He's going to make a great addition to the family. :cool:

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg703/scaled.php?server=703&filename=imag0235kh.jpg&res=landing

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg163/scaled.php?server=163&filename=imag0243jm.jpg&res=landing

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg441/scaled.php?server=441&filename=imag0241ak.jpg&res=landing

ronin.45
06-10-2012, 16:12
Looks a little dobie to me, a bit too pointy. Maybe a rott mix, but who cares if he's a good dog.

Unless I paid for a purebred it wouldn't bother me.

MtBaldy
06-10-2012, 16:15
He looks more Dobie than Rottweiler. I've had Dobies all my adult life (until Obie) and been around lots of Rotties. He may be a Rottie/Dobie mix or even all Dobie. He's a cutie anyway. I wouldn't worry about it if you love him and he's a good dog.

greenman19
06-10-2012, 16:27
Definitely a mix but that shouldn't matter, he's a good looking boy.

Berto
06-10-2012, 16:37
It's typically said "German" Rottweilers are the more Mastiff blockheaded looking while the "American" Rottweiler is less blocky headed not quite as stocky in build.
...at least in common terms, there's really only "Rottweilers", period, and they can be pretty diverse in build and shape.
Priscilla is a Rottweiler, have no idea where she fits into this 'German vs American' terminology.

http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/7586/everything078.jpg

DoubleWide
06-10-2012, 16:48
Definitely looks like a Dobie mix. The width, stature and nose(not snout) seem more Dobie than Rott. Sometimes a mix is a lot better as it offsets the weaknesses that have been bred into a breed.

Good looking dog. I wouldn't worry about it.

Gregg702
06-10-2012, 16:57
I agree with everyone else that this dog is most likely a doberman mix. Rott's are blocky and stout, your dog is pointy and long-legged.

NBT
06-10-2012, 17:02
Congrat's on the new addition. It's hard to tell from the pics, and he's young yet. The first pic makes him look like his ears are standing up, but I think it's actually the dog behind him. They grow so out of proportion for the first year and a half...things get a bit better once they slow down and fill out. If possible shoot a few more pics and post them up.
We have owned Rottie's for the past 25 years...and don't see ourselves without one.
There's also a great Rottie forum. Great information there.
http://rottweilersonline.com/forum/

Sounds like the person you got the dog from was not very certain...or forthcoming about papers for the dog.
Regardless of the aforementioned...doesn't matter. Sounds like he's already a great dog...and will certainly provide plenty of affection, fun, and loyalty for you and your family.

Below is our pup, CoCo...going on 19 months. We attend obedience/training classes quarterly.
The Rottweiler has a reputation like the Pit Bull, even though they are such an easy going, loyal, and affectionate breed.

They provide plenty of laugh's...that's for sure. Have fun!

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f106/nothnbutrouble/e986c5f7-1.jpg

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f106/nothnbutrouble/638fc8bb-1.jpg

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f106/nothnbutrouble/73235c67-1.jpg

tony4311
06-10-2012, 17:12
Yeah the face just doesn't look pure rott. Of course it could still be pure just not well breed to meet the standard. Doesn't mean it's a bad dog it does look very happy though. If it is a rott it'll take another year and a half to fully grow. Generally the first year they grow up, the second they grow out. I look back on the puppy pictures of mine now and he just looks sickly even though he wasn't. Also wait until he's a year to get him snipped (If he's not already) otherwise he won't grow to full size.

OctoberRust
06-10-2012, 17:13
Hey guys, thanks for the input. You're all right, it really doesn't matter what he is, even though curiosity has me just for the fun of it.

http://www.rottweiler.net/forums/general-info/33628-long-nose.html

I did a little research in between the time I put this thread up and now, they're saying his head will grow for 2 years? :wow: He's 60 pounds and just shy of 6 months. I know for sure he's going to be a big dog, and sure does look like a doberman, which is also a great breed in my opinion. I didn't realize that some will be lanky with long noses for possibly years to come.

Anyways, like I said before, this dog is great, energetic, and seems like a healthy pup (even if I do need to feed him more than what I think his previous owners were giving him).

Bushflyr
06-10-2012, 17:38
Anyways, like I said before, this dog is great, energetic, and seems like a healthy pup (even if I do need to feed him more than what I think his previous owners were giving him).

Nice looking dog. I'd tend to "underfeed" (not starve) him a bit. Big dogs need to be kept thinner, especially purebreds, so they don't get joint (hip) problems later in life.

OctoberRust
06-10-2012, 17:44
Nice looking dog. I'd tend to "underfeed" (not starve) him a bit. Big dogs need to be kept thinner, especially purebreds, so they don't get joint (hip) problems later in life.

Thanks, and good point.

I think they just underfed him way too much. He was eating once a day of 1 and a half cups of Pedigree.

From what I've been reading, he should receive 2 cups 2x a day of some food of higher quality. his coat seems coarse and I hear that may be from poor nutrition as well?

Also - does running help or hurt with hip problems? He's amazing for a 6 month old on the leash and went jogging with me for 2 miles before he was exhausted. I plan on taking him on longer runs when I can work him up to it, I'm used to running 3-4 miles on a weekend on trails.

g29andy
06-10-2012, 17:45
NBT, that's a fine Rottie!

HollowHead
06-10-2012, 17:47
I love everything about Rotts...except the smell. They have to be the worst smelling breed I've ever encountered. HH

ronin.45
06-10-2012, 17:55
This is my big dummy.:supergrin:
He looks pretty tiny in this quick cell phone pic, but he's about 100lbs. The angle and the fact I'm huge make him look so little. He's a 5 year old German named Bruno.
http://i1019.photobucket.com/albums/af317/tsteele1014/39238ed7.jpg

OctoberRust
06-10-2012, 17:58
He looks pretty tiny in this quick cell phone pic, but he's about 100lbs. The angle and the fact I'm huge make him look so little. He's a 5 year old German named Bruno.

Do his eyes glow yellow/green like that in person?! :supergrin: jk jk.

Good looking dog! I'm interested to see how long it takes and how much mine fills out.

Triple7
06-10-2012, 18:04
For sure not pure rott..... Might be black and tan mixed with something or rott/lab mix

Bushflyr
06-10-2012, 18:06
From what I've been reading, he should receive 2 cups 2x a day of some food of higher quality. his coat seems coarse and I hear that may be from poor nutrition as well?

That sounds like a lot, but he is growing, so IDK. We've had good luck with the Science Diet Lamb & Rice. Our GSD/husky is 75lbs and gets ~1c 2x/d. He's full grown and doesn't get a ton of exercise, though.

Also - does running help or hurt with hip problems? He's amazing for a 6 month old on the leash and went jogging with me for 2 miles before he was exhausted. I plan on taking him on longer runs when I can work him up to it, I'm used to running 3-4 miles on a weekend on trails.

I don't think it hurts, but remember that dogs aren't made for distance. They're sprinters, so I wouldn't over do it.

Steel Head
06-10-2012, 18:15
Definitely a mix but that shouldn't matter, he's a good looking boy.

My thoughts too.

Great lookin pooch though:wavey:

RDW
06-10-2012, 18:30
Looks like a DOBE to me.

NBT
06-10-2012, 19:18
NBT, that's a fine Rottie!

Thank You, she's really turning out to be a solid girl. We still have another year of training (at a minimum) but it's really paying off. I hope she get's OFA Excellent (hips & elbows) this fall...we will see.
CoCo's mother is out of these two.
http://www.vkwrottweilers.com/kori-earl-antonius.htm
http://www.vkwrottweilers.com/pasha-gallery.htm

On the sire's side... her father is out of...
http://www.importrottweilers.com/tex.html
http://www.importrottweilers.com/ayki.html

I see Bruno has the Rottie smile, he looks like a complete ham. I don't know why their eye's turn green, but I have many pics of CoCo with the same hue to them.

In regards to the diet requirements of a large breed dog...be careful what you feed them. A carefully planned diet is a good measure of prevention. Feeding large breed puppies over-supplemented, high-protein food in order to force rapid growth has been shown to increase the incidence and severity of arthritis in dysplastic dogs. Dogs fed a calorie-limited diet will reach the same adult size as their overfed counterparts more slowly, of course, but with a considerably reduced likelihood of developing arthritis.

As stated, having your dog spayed or neutered too early can cause problems too. Better to wait until they are at least 1 year old...then have it done.

How to grade your dog's food:
Start with a grade of 100:

1) For every listing of "by-product", subtract 10 points

2) For every non-specific animal source ("meat" or "poultry", meat, meal or fat) reference, subtract 10 points

3) If the food contains BHA, BHT, or ethoxyquin, subtract 10 points

4) For every grain "mill run" or non-specific grain source,subtract 5 points

5) If the same grain ingredient is used 2 or more times in the first five ingredients (i.e. "ground brown rice", "brewers rice", "rice flour" are all the same grain), subtract 5 points

6) If the protein sources are not meat meal and there are less than 2 meats in the top 3 ingredients, subtract 3 points

7) If it contains any artificial colorants, subtract 3 points

8 ) If it contains ground corn or whole grain corn, subtract 3points

9) If corn is listed in the top 5 ingredients, subtract 2 more points

10) If the food contains any animal fat other than fish oil,subtract 2 points

11) If lamb is the only animal protein source (unless your dog is allergic to other protein sources), subtract 2 points

12) If it contains soy or soybeans, subtract 2 points

13) If it contains wheat (unless you know that your dog isn't allergic to wheat), subtract 2 points

14) If it contains beef (unless you know that your dog isn't allergic to beef), subtract 1 point

15) If it contains salt, subtract 1 point

Extra Credit:

1) If any of the meat sources are organic, add 5 points

2) If the food is endorsed by any major breed group or
nutritionist, add 5 points

3) If the food is baked not extruded, add 5 points

4) If the food contains probiotics, add 3 points

5) If the food contains fruit, add 3 points

6) If the food contains vegetables (NOT corn or other grains), add 3 points

7) If the animal sources are hormone-free and antibiotic-free, add 2 points

8 ) If the food contains barley, add 2 points

9) If the food contains flax seed oil (not just the seeds), add 2 points

10) If the food contains oats or oatmeal, add 1 point

11) If the food contains sunflower oil, add 1 point

12) For every different specific animal protein source (other than
the first one; count "chicken" and "chicken meal" as only one protein source, but "chicken" and "" as 2 different sources), add 1 point

13) If it contains glucosamine and chondroitin, add 1 point

14) If the vegetables have been tested for pesticides and are pesticide-free, add 1 point

94-100+ = A
86-93 = B
78-85 = C
70-77 = D
69 = F

Here are some foods that have already been scored. If you don't see your dog's food here.

Dog Food scores:

Authority Harvest Baked / Score 116 A+
Bil-Jac Select / Score 68 F
Canidae / Score 112 A+
Chicken Soup Senior / Score 115 A+
Diamond Maintenance / Score 64 F
Diamond Lamb Meal & Rice / Score 92 B
Diamond Large Breed 60+ Formula / Score 99 A
Dick Van Patten's Natural Balance Ultra Premium / Score 122 A+
Dick Van Patten's Duck and Potato / Score 106 A+
Foundations / Score 106 A+
Hund-n-Flocken Adult Dog (lamb) by Solid Gold / Score 93 D
Iams Lamb Meal & Rice Formula Premium / Score 73 D
Innova Dog / Score 114 A+
Innova Evo / Score 114 A+
Kirkland Signature Chicken, Rice, and Vegetables / Score 110 A+
Nutrisource Lamb and Rice / Score 87 B
Nutro Natural Choice Large Breed Puppy / Score 87 B
Pet Gold Adult with Lamb & Rice / Score 23 F
ProPlan Natural Turkey & Barley / Score 103 A+
Purina Benful / Score 17 F
Purina Dog / Score 62 F
Purina Come-n-Get It / Score 16 F
Royal Canin Bulldog / Score 100 A+
Royal Canin Natural Blend Adult / Score 106 A+
Sensible Choice Chicken and Rice / Score 97 A
Science Diet Advanced Protein Senior 7+ / Score 63 F
Science Diet for Large Breed Puppies / Score 69 F
Wellness Super5 Mix Chicken / Score 110 A+
Wolfking Adult Dog (bison) by Solid Gold / Score 97 A

CoCo is raw fed, no kibble.
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f106/nothnbutrouble/abafc80f.jpg

Rotn1
06-10-2012, 19:31
Looks like a young underfed Rottweiler pup to me.
Feed him properly and let him develop properly.

He will be a good dog regardless of how pure he is.
Good luck with your new friend.

06-10-2012, 19:35
Big sweeety!!!

tony4311
06-10-2012, 19:38
Food amount really depends on food quality. When they get fed crap food they need more of it to get what they need. Also make sure your measuring cup is accurate. My breeder said based on the breeding he should be about 130-140. He kept getting bigger and was nearly 150lb on 4 cups of food a day. I was going to give him less when suddenly I thought to check the scoop. What was marked 1 cup was actually 1 1/2 cups so I was giving him 6 a day.

As far as running mines never been a fan. I used to walk him about an hour at a time. Once he got closer to full grown (140lbs) he only goes about 30 minutes. After that he just gets too hot and starts dragging behind. The first time I learned this I thought he was checking the grass to go to the bathroom. Turns out he wanted to lay down and take a rest. I was advised by the breeder to keep the long runs and such to a minimum until his bones/joints/hips were properly grown at about 18 months.

tony4311
06-10-2012, 19:44
I love everything about Rotts...except the smell. They have to be the worst smelling breed I've ever encountered. HH

The dog himself doesn't smell but man the farts mine lets out can clear a room. :rofl:

The worst day was when he was hanging out in the basement with me and my wife could smell it at the top of the stairs. :wow: I've now trained a command to send him upstairs so when it gets bad I can send him upstairs. At least there are windows to open up there and keep it nicer.

Maxx702
06-10-2012, 20:46
You are pretty well on point with the food thing NBT but I have to disagree on one point- any thing with any corn product is out of the question period.
Corn is a cheap filler that is very harmful to canines.

crazi_e
06-10-2012, 22:25
http://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/522465_10151092757019657_1814189431_n.jpg

It doesn't matter if a dog is pure breed or not, as long as they have a place in your home and heart then your doing the right thing. My big baby boy Chowder, he turns 2 on friday and hes half rottie half pitbull.

OctoberRust
06-11-2012, 06:15
Looks like a young underfed Rottweiler pup to me.
Feed him properly and let him develop properly.

He will be a good dog regardless of how pure he is.
Good luck with your new friend.

My thoughts too after I researched a little more on the rottweiler forums.

And thanks! I think my girlfriend is getting jealous with how much he follows me around the house. :supergrin:

The dog himself doesn't smell but man the farts mine lets out can clear a room. :rofl:

The worst day was when he was hanging out in the basement with me and my wife could smell it at the top of the stairs. :wow: I've now trained a command to send him upstairs so when it gets bad I can send him upstairs. At least there are windows to open up there and keep it nicer.

Tell me about it! He has some smelly farts, and poops a LOT. The good thing about the farting is, I can let a silent one rip now, and just blame it on the dog when my GF gives me that look. :supergrin::rofl:

NBT
06-11-2012, 07:14
You are pretty well on point with the food thing NBT but I have to disagree on one point- any thing with any corn product is out of the question period.
Corn is a cheap filler that is very harmful to canines.

Couldn't agree more...where in the world did I post that it is so I can correct it? This is why I feed a raw diet...zero corn or by product in any of it.
Dog's are carnivore's...not herb or omni. Don't see them grazing cornfields in search of the perfect ear of corn, that's for sure.

tony4311
06-11-2012, 15:40
and poops a LOT

A lady I work with likes to say "Big dogs leave big logs"

janice6
06-11-2012, 15:50
Two full sized dogs have shown to be the best playmates my Yorkie has ever had. They are considerate of his size and really try to be careful with him. When they play chase with him, they walk slow so they don't run over him.

When they play Tug with a piece of rope, they just move their head, while he fights furiously at the other end.

Rottweilers and Akitas. They are amazing dogs. If I didn't have a Yorkie, I would be limiting my choices to one of these two.

Rotn1
06-11-2012, 19:07
Although I love all dogs, Rottweilers are my absolute favorite.

Have had them for 26 years. Number 4 is with us now.

Love their mannerisms, their looks, and even the way they smell.

Don't ever want to be without at least one.

NBT
06-11-2012, 20:43
Although I love all dogs, Rottweilers are my absolute favorite.
Have had them for 26 years. Number 4 is with us now.
Love their mannerisms, their looks, and even the way they smell.
Don't ever want to be without at least one.

Agreed...they are awesome dog's..I would love to add another in a few months. Any pics of your pup?
We were fostering for a local rescue organization...but our Corgi is not doing well at all...and has been diagnosed with degenerative radiculomyelopathy so his days are numbered.
Pic of our foster Loki with CoCo last September:
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f106/nothnbutrouble/f8a4e772.jpg

Chowder looks like he's "all" Rottie, that's for sure.
I'm sure he's a big schmooze, looks that way from the pic anyhow. My first Rottie was not papered... he was so intelligent...I put his CD title on him through the AKC after we got an ILP # from the AKC. I should have passed along some of his training on to our dog's to follow. Made that mistake once....never again. All that work gone.

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f106/nothnbutrouble/34e867ec.jpg

tsmo1066
06-11-2012, 20:52

My old Rott could wake you up from a dead sleep with her farts! I swear that girl had some sort of biological experiment gone wrong festering in her bowels!

And yes, the BO on Rotties can also get heavy, to say the least.

sr556m9
06-12-2012, 06:56
That's a nice looking dog. He's only 6 months, so it's tough to tell from the pictures if he is pure Rottie. I'm leaning towards he is. It sounds like he was terribly underfed. Get some good meals in him and give him few weeks or so. You will know if he is a Rottie then. And if he isn't, who cares? He looks like a great dog and you love him.

If he is mixed, I would say he has a little Doberman in him. They are both absolutely great breeds with a bad rap from the sheeple.

Here's my Dobe boy at about 8 weeks, 6 months and 1 year.

NBT
06-12-2012, 07:16

Wow, he's awesome....what's his name? Doberman's are great dogs, family oriented, intelligent, and extremely versatile. You did a great job keeping up with his ears...they look great.

plasticgunz
06-12-2012, 07:47
http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/2668/img0851x.jpg

My boy.

I'd say yours is a mix, but maybe you're right and he's underfed. I'm sure you'll be best friends.

OctoberRust
06-12-2012, 08:00
That's a nice looking dog. He's only 6 months, so it's tough to tell from the pictures if he is pure Rottie. I'm leaning towards he is. It sounds like he was terribly underfed. Get some good meals in him and give him few weeks or so. You will know if he is a Rottie then. And if he isn't, who cares? He looks like a great dog and you love him.

If he is mixed, I would say he has a little Doberman in him. They are both absolutely great breeds with a bad rap from the sheeple.

Very nice looking dog!

I agree, rotties, dobermens, and german sheperds don't scare me, it's the owners who bring them up bad who do.

I think he was fed the bottom of the barrel food, and not much of it. I've started feeding him Iams and about 3-4 cups a day, and his ribs already start to be disappearing a little more. Also, he has a LOT more energy now, and is acting like a hyperactive puppy should now. Kind of sad the owners previous didn't feed him enough. Glad he's in my home now.

When you guys leave for work do you kennel your rotties when they're puppies, or put them in a room to be sure they don't urinate and crap all over the house? He's house broken for the most park, it just seems he can't hold his bladder unless he's in a kennel.

fnfalman
06-12-2012, 08:18
One of my best friends have always had Rotweillers. The weird think I noticed is that the dogs tended to be super protective of the youngest offspring more than the older offspring. They're not as fierce as they're made out to be. Stinkier than hell though. They get washed one day and a few days later they're already stinky.

They tend to get sick with nasty ailments when they get older. The one before this current one had some sort of ulcer.

Cwlongshot
06-12-2012, 08:32
GREAT DOGS!!!

I agree it's a mix, looks lab/rot or even Shepard/rot..

We lost ours last May at 14 yrs. Riley and yes he lived the life of "Riley". He was a Rot/Shepard mix and 140# at top weight.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v465/CWLONGSHOT/Temp%20stuff/RILEY/RileyJan05.jpg

Roger copy on proper feed and amounts! Riley was great you till about 13 yrs when he threw his back out playing with the neighbors Lab. He ran past me and slid a bit on the stone walk. I literally herd the vertabre squish and watched him go down. Vet visit and X-rays showed the damage. It was down Hill from there. But a great dog! I have had Labs most of my life, as a kid a couple poodles and a "sooner" (Sonner eat and **** than anything else). That's what pop called him anyhow. A mix breed for sure. Anyway Riley completely understood English. You could talk to him he would do what you told him. He was fiercely protective of children. The neighbors girls would play with him for hours and hours daily. One day a woman stopped thinking the dog was hurting the girls. Riley backed her off the property until one of the girls (about 6 if I remember correctly) called him off. He imeadiatly broke and healed behind the 6 year old.

Here is my boy;

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v465/CWLONGSHOT/Temp%20stuff/RILEY/Loadingroom025.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v465/CWLONGSHOT/Temp%20stuff/RILEY/Mybuddie.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v465/CWLONGSHOT/Temp%20stuff/RILEY/100_2023.jpg

Here you can see just how big he got... Lounging with momma.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v465/CWLONGSHOT/Temp%20stuff/RILEY/RileyinbedwithMomma.jpg

Best of luck with him, he looks like a great dog!

CW

HOTHEAD
06-12-2012, 08:40
tagged for later

sr556m9
06-12-2012, 09:05
Wow, he's awesome....what's his name? Doberman's are great dogs, family oriented, intelligent, and extremely versatile. You did a great job keeping up with his ears...they look great.

His name's Griffin. I had his ears done when he was about 9 weeks old. I was on the fence about having it done because the closest vet who would perform the operation was an hour and a half away (due to the psycho liberal animal rights whack jobs). I'm so glad I had it done. The "bark" of the operation is much worse than its "bite."

Dogs like Dobes, Rotts, and GSD's get such a bad rap. My mom and dad have always had GSD's when I was growing up, and still have one. I was going to get one but wanted a dog that shedded less and I always loved the way Dobermans look and behave. My dog is a huge baby to everyone he knows and loves, especially little kids. He jumps in the bed and acts like a little kid. It's only if I don't like someone that he won't like them. Very discriminatory and protective. Rotts are similar. Neighbor has a female. Extremely comical to watch and very gentle, but if she doesn't like you, you better watch out!

Mayhem like Me
06-12-2012, 09:27
Looks like someone cropped this guys tail....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beauceron

Mayhem like Me
06-12-2012, 09:32

I disagree it is important to feed large athletic breeds the right type of good food earlyand the correct amount to allow them to develop good muscle tone, and healthy bones.
Underfeeding a large breed dog during growth is disasterous to it's long term health.

vart
06-12-2012, 09:51
I've been using Rachel Ray Simple 6 with good results; no corn or other crap(it does have beet pulp, which the jury is still out on).

It is the highest quality/cheapest dog food I've found; $15.95 at Wal-Mart for 20lbs...

If I had $100 to spend a month on dog food, I would be using Blue Buffalo Duck and Pea...

crazi_e
06-12-2012, 10:16
Chowder looks like he's "all" Rottie, that's for sure.
I'm sure he's a big schmooze, looks that way from the pic anyhow.

He does, but he has a slightly longer snout and he only weighs 95-100 lbs. He's tiny compared to other rotties I have come across. He was also the runt of the litter, having been born with a hernia, he got his tail docked and his surgery performed 5 days after he was born. His scar can be seen and felt, but I still care deeply for him and I'm glad I was the one who brought him into my life.

eracer
06-12-2012, 10:37
Hahaha!! If that dog is 100 lbs., you must be 7'4" and 475 lbs. yourself!:rofl:

tony4311
06-12-2012, 16:04
I think he was fed the bottom of the barrel food, and not much of it. I've started feeding him Iams and about 3-4 cups a day, and his ribs already start to be disappearing a little more.

Iams isn't that great when it comes to food. Check the list/rating on page one. I feed my full grown pooch 4 cups a day of quality dog food. The lower the quality the higher the quantity needed. Seeing or feeling the ribs slightly when a pup isn't negative. Just being able to see/feel them is normal at pup stage. Gaining weight too fast can be bad for the bones.

brob2425
06-13-2012, 13:24
Don't know if this has been said, but you can buy DNA test kits at the pet shops for around $60. You swab the inside of their mouth, send it away and in a couple weeks you get a breed report and it also gives a history and the traits of the breed(s) of your dog.

The one we used on our dog was the Wisdom Panel Insights DNA test and we got it from Petsmart.

OctoberRust
06-25-2012, 12:42
Not too concerned about it.

I brought him to the vet this weekend, she agreed with the couple on here that said he looked dobermann/rottweiler. I guess he's a bit too tall to be all rottweiler. Weighed him in @ 65 lbs. She's saying I should expect an 80-90 lbs dog, if not bigger. :wow:

Mayhem like Me
06-25-2012, 12:53
Not too concerned about it.

I brought him to the vet this weekend, she agreed with the couple on here that said he looked dobermann/rottweiler. I guess he's a bit too tall to be all rottweiler. Weighed him in @ 65 lbs. She's saying I should expect an 80-90 lbs dog, if not bigger. :wow:

Obedience training now and every day is a must.. Congrats.

OctoberRust
06-25-2012, 12:59
Obedience training now and every day is a must.. Congrats.

Thanks, and will be looking into classes for him in a couple weeks. So far he listens great for a 6 month old, but I'm sure I could get better out of him. :supergrin:

KML
06-25-2012, 18:04
I would guess he'll be over 100lbs.My 5 month old female just weighed in at 54 lbs.Both the breeder and vet expect her to be in the 90 to 100 lb range,males tend to be bigger.Even if their is some Dobie mixed in.A six month male would be around 75lbs according to one web site I have been using so he's not off by much.It shows a two year old male coming in around 120 and a female at 105.

Berto
06-25-2012, 18:13
You'll be amazed at how smart Rottweilers are.

RottnJP
06-25-2012, 21:49
http://www.bravorawdiet.com/product/balance/index.html

Nice to see the beautiful dogs on here!

Anglin_AZ
06-25-2012, 22:37
This our Rott, Butch. Although we we were told he was a full breed when we got him at about 5 mths, we think he may be mixed with a GS. We love him nonetheless. Very calm, loyal and protective. He's a big lug now. Congrats on your new addition.

YouTube - Butch 5 months - Rottweiler

NBT
06-26-2012, 06:03
Butch looks like a ham...those toy's are great.
FYI you can get them at a reduced price online....not sure if it's worth your time or not. We have a few get together's in the neighborhood so I have a toy shipped quarterly....then beat the crap out of them...write a review.
https://vipproducts.com/retail/files/index.php/store_pages/view/62/dog-toy-tester

The two toy testers...

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f106/nothnbutrouble/24049672.jpg

Sometimes nothing beats a stick....
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f106/nothnbutrouble/a7457167.jpg

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f106/nothnbutrouble/269abcdd.jpg

http://www.bravorawdiet.com/product/balance/index.html
Nice to see the beautiful dogs on here!

I love to see raw fed dog's...the rolls are easy but IMHO should not be the mainstay of the "diet". Dog's need bone to grind, keeping the tartar off of the teeth...ect.

Our local Co-op get's our raw food, (3500 lbs a month) from Tefco corp. http://www.raiseapaw4raw.com/
I buy/use their green tripe as a supplement versus feeding entire meals using only tripe.
The brunt of our dog's diet is chicken (leg quarters) & beef (tounge, heart, kidney, cheek, liver). We feed venison, pork, fish, and other offal meats as they are available. In the fall I stack up on venison...heart, kidney, ribs, and liver.
None of the food we feed is cooked.

The rolls are great if you have a pet sitter watching your dog's if your going out of town.

I read a book by Lew Olsen called Raw and Natural Nutrition for your dogs...(http://www.b-naturals.com/newsletter/about-lew-olson-phd/) it's awesome for those on the fence about raw feeding versus kibble.

moishlashen
06-26-2012, 07:21
Congrats. Looks like it has some lab in it.

vart
06-26-2012, 08:46
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f106/nothnbutrouble/24049672.jpg

Sometimes nothing beats a stick....
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f106/nothnbutrouble/a7457167.jpg

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f106/nothnbutrouble/269abcdd.jpg

Beautiful Rhodesian Ridgeback! My mom used to breed those. One of the most under appreciated breeds out there; they are outstanding animals.

SuperSport
06-26-2012, 10:22
Congrats on the new 4 legged family member!

NBT: great looking Rotty! I've researched that breed a lot when we were considering a new dog after our APBT expired. Two things (aesthetically) I'm attracted to in German bred Rotties are their heart shaped head and deep mahogany markings. I'm fortunate to have friends that have Rotties and got to know their disposition. Smart & loyal dogs and spoiled rotten. ;). Aren't they all?!

NBT
06-26-2012, 14:34
Yeah Vart, the Rhodesian in the pic is only 2. Met them on a walk with our Rottie one day...now they are like pea's and carrot's. Mason (Rhodesian) is a riot...unlimited amount of energy...and athletic. Mason can jump from a standing still position and easily clear 1'...then hit the ground running. It's funny to watch him sweep CoCo's back legs from under her when he's in pursuit. CoCo has now picked up the habit.

Thanks SuperSport....she's a keeper. Only one grandparent not from Germany in her pedigree...and they were from Yugoslavia. CoCo is a bit lighter than the almost all black Rotties, but I'm good with it. She's hard enough to see when it's dark out. APBT's are great dog's...so sweet...yet get a crappy reputation like Rotties. Sad really, and I don't see any change in that "discipline" any time soon. Got any pics of your pit?

Here is CoCo -n-Mason after running around for an hour...
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f106/nothnbutrouble/733bdb05.jpg

Here is one of her other "BFF's"....
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f106/nothnbutrouble/d8d530ee.jpg

SuperSport
06-26-2012, 17:14
Like most popular breeds - they get bastardized and breeding disciplines are thrown out the window. Shame really. No pics of my beloved APBT but opted for another bully breed. Alapaha Blue Blood Bulldog. Smart SOB and like yours - spoiled rotten. His name is Koki:

NBT
06-26-2012, 19:52
Like most popular breeds - they get bastardized and breeding disciplines are thrown out the window. Shame really. No pics of my beloved APBT but opted for another bully breed. Alapaha Blue Blood Bulldog. Smart SOB and like yours - spoiled rotten. His name is Koki:

:rofl:..."spoiled rotten" how could you tell.
Koki has great markings... if I ever opted to switch breeds...bully's would be top of the food chain.
One of the guy's I work with at the fire dept has a 5 yr old American Bulldog named Boomer...he's a riot. They are smart yet have that "stupid" side to them....more aloof than anything.
It's hilarious....some of the stunts they pull are priceless, and they have the face/antics to match. You know what I'm talking about.

Many years ago when deciding on breeds, I kicked Rhodesian Ridgebacks around, and did a lot of reading up on the breed...just no one around that allowed me to put my hands on one. The Rottie's I had the opportunity to meet, interact with, and get to know in a short time frame. I owe our mail lady, Dotti a huge favor for that introduction...can't believe it was 25 yrs ago.

This was a different friends "American" (Motts) with my prior Rottie Dakota...
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f106/nothnbutrouble/0607072017b.jpg

FCastle88
06-30-2012, 00:02
I disagree it is important to feed large athletic breeds the right type of good food earlyand the correct amount to allow them to develop good muscle tone, and healthy bones.
Underfeeding a large breed dog during growth is disasterous to it's long term health.
While you certainly don't want to starve large breed puppies, it's better to underfeed slightly than it is to overfeed. Also, i didn't see anyone mention this yet, but the calcium content of the food is even more important than how many calories the puppy is eating, studies have shown that feeding large breed puppies food with too much calcium significantly increases their risk of developing hip dysplasia, some studies say it more than doubles the risk. Feeding large breed puppies too much calcium, and to a lesser extent too many calories, can cause their hip and other joint bones to grow faster than the muscles that hold the joints together, causing dysplasia. This is why large breed puppy foods have less calories and calcium than regular/small breed puppy foods. Large breed puppies should be fed a food that has a calcium content of under 2%, ideally close to 1%, and should not be given calcium supplements. I'd also stay away from Iams, Purina, etc., the only dog food from Walmart or a grocery chain that I would use is Racheal Ray's Simply 6 kibble, and that's probably a bit high in calcium for a large breed puppy.

NBT
06-30-2012, 05:19
While you certainly don't want to starve large breed puppies, it's better to underfeed slightly than it is to overfeed. Also, i didn't see anyone mention this yet, but the calcium content of the food is even more important than how many calories the puppy is eating, studies have shown that feeding large breed puppies food with too much calcium significantly increases their risk of developing hip dysplasia, some studies say it more than doubles the risk. Feeding large breed puppies too much calcium, and to a lesser extent too many calories, can cause their hip and other joint bones to grow faster than the muscles that hold the joints together, causing dysplasia. This is why large breed puppy foods have less calories and calcium than regular/small breed puppy foods. Large breed puppies should be fed a food that has a calcium content of under 2%, ideally close to 1%, and should not be given calcium supplements. I'd also stay away from Iams, Purina, etc., the only dog food from Walmart or a grocery chain that I would use is Racheal Ray's Simply 6 kibble, and that's probably a bit high in calcium for a large breed puppy.

Very valid point in regards to Hypercalcemia. This also has a secondary effect on Phosphorus content...both which have a huge roll in bone growth and development.
I'm reading a few books right now...one called Raw Meaty Bones Promote Health by Tom Lonsdale is exceptionally good. The other the book by Lew Olsen, Raw and Natural Nutrition for Dogs got me started raw feeding.
Both books address this potential problem....great point.

OctoberRust
07-01-2012, 06:48
finally got some more pics! Some of these are from a couple weeks ago. Weighed him today and he's 68 lbs and not even 7 months old yet. :wow:

some of these pics are a week or two old, the bottom two should be the ones I took of him yesterday, playing with my gf's GSD/rottie mix.

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg843/scaled.php?server=843&filename=imag0248h.jpg&res=landing

https://mail-attachment.googleusercontent.com/attachment/u/0/?ui=2&ik=389ccf9fbc&view=att&th=1383e5698c5b1c1a&attid=0.1&disp=inline&realattid=1406219412453610413-1&safe=1&zw&saduie=AG9B_P-hEHWgywfpvihYJAr7wTx6&sadet=1341146835409&sads=JCI8OTOppNRADCqa-wSG2uhV7ps&sadssc=1

https://mail-attachment.googleusercontent.com/attachment/u/0/?ui=2&ik=389ccf9fbc&view=att&th=1383e5698c5b1c1a&attid=0.2&disp=inline&realattid=1406219412453610413-2&safe=1&zw&saduie=AG9B_P-hEHWgywfpvihYJAr7wTx6&sadet=1341146874303&sads=TIGqIE_uI_9NWJBWjC7v-aS_gYY

https://mail-attachment.googleusercontent.com/attachment/u/0/?ui=2&ik=389ccf9fbc&view=att&th=1384280a0ae99c30&attid=0.1&disp=inline&realattid=1406292951009497498-1&safe=1&zw&saduie=AG9B_P-hEHWgywfpvihYJAr7wTx6&sadet=1341146894083&sads=gDBW6WKAemzBljUyAg9TPKhHZ8E
https://mail-attachment.googleusercontent.com/attachment/u/0/?ui=2&ik=389ccf9fbc&view=att&th=1384280a0ae99c30&attid=0.2&disp=inline&realattid=1406292951009497498-2&safe=1&zw&saduie=AG9B_P-hEHWgywfpvihYJAr7wTx6&sadet=1341146908949&sads=2tWAPa07hMuodHKdqiq3OLxOssU

FCastle88
07-01-2012, 14:47
finally got some more pics! Some of these are from a couple weeks ago. Weighed him today and he's 68 lbs and not even 7 months old yet. :wow:

some of these pics are a week or two old, the bottom two should be the ones I took of him yesterday, playing with my gf's GSD/rottie mix.

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg843/scaled.php?server=843&filename=imag0248h.jpg&res=landing

https://mail-attachment.googleusercontent.com/attachment/u/0/?ui=2&ik=389ccf9fbc&view=att&th=1383e5698c5b1c1a&attid=0.1&disp=inline&realattid=1406219412453610413-1&safe=1&zw&saduie=AG9B_P-hEHWgywfpvihYJAr7wTx6&sadet=1341146835409&sads=JCI8OTOppNRADCqa-wSG2uhV7ps&sadssc=1

https://mail-attachment.googleusercontent.com/attachment/u/0/?ui=2&ik=389ccf9fbc&view=att&th=1383e5698c5b1c1a&attid=0.2&disp=inline&realattid=1406219412453610413-2&safe=1&zw&saduie=AG9B_P-hEHWgywfpvihYJAr7wTx6&sadet=1341146874303&sads=TIGqIE_uI_9NWJBWjC7v-aS_gYY

https://mail-attachment.googleusercontent.com/attachment/u/0/?ui=2&ik=389ccf9fbc&view=att&th=1384280a0ae99c30&attid=0.1&disp=inline&realattid=1406292951009497498-1&safe=1&zw&saduie=AG9B_P-hEHWgywfpvihYJAr7wTx6&sadet=1341146894083&sads=gDBW6WKAemzBljUyAg9TPKhHZ8E
https://mail-attachment.googleusercontent.com/attachment/u/0/?ui=2&ik=389ccf9fbc&view=att&th=1384280a0ae99c30&attid=0.2&disp=inline&realattid=1406292951009497498-2&safe=1&zw&saduie=AG9B_P-hEHWgywfpvihYJAr7wTx6&sadet=1341146908949&sads=2tWAPa07hMuodHKdqiq3OLxOssU
From the front, he looks more Doberman than Rottweiler. The designer dog people call it a Rotterman, they usually tend towards the Dobermans appearance and temperament, with the Rottweilers size.

OctoberRust
07-01-2012, 15:04
From the front, he looks more Doberman than Rottweiler. The designer dog people call it a Rotterman, they usually tend towards the Dobermans appearance and temperament, with the Rottweilers size.

What's the difference in temperament between dobies and rotties?

Steel Head
07-01-2012, 15:15

What a good lookin happy pup you got there.

FCastle88
07-01-2012, 15:26
What's the difference in temperament between dobies and rotties?
From the breed standards, Dobermans were bred to essentially be a canine bodyguard, so are extremely attached to their master/family and always want to be near them, while being a bit suspicious of other people. Rottweilers were bred more for herding and guarding, so while affectionate with their family, are a bit more aloof and handle being left on their own better. Dobermans are very intelligent and extremely eager to please their master, and so are very easy to train, they're ranked as one of the most intelligent and easily trained breeds. Rottweilers are a bit more stubborn, and don't seem to pick up on things as quickly, they're also not as active. Though most of both breeds from American lines are bred more for companions than actual working/protection dogs, so temperaments vary widely, and many are too friendly/trusting with strangers to be counted on as a serious guard/protection dog. Especially with a breeder that would cross the two, who knows what the parents temperaments were like.

OctoberRust
07-01-2012, 16:00
From the breed standards, Dobermans were bred to essentially be a canine bodyguard, so are extremely attached to their master/family and always want to be near them, while being a bit suspicious of other people. Rottweilers were bred more for herding and guarding, so while affectionate with their family, are a bit more aloof and handle being left on their own better. Dobermans are very intelligent and extremely eager to please their master, and so are very easy to train, they're ranked as one of the most intelligent and easily trained breeds. Rottweilers are a bit more stubborn, and don't seem to pick up on things as quickly, they're also not as active. Though most of both breeds from American lines are bred more for companions than actual working/protection dogs, so temperaments vary widely, and many are too friendly/trusting with strangers to be counted on as a serious guard/protection dog. Especially with a breeder that would cross the two, who knows what the parents temperaments were like.

Thanks! He does sound like the dobermann temperament you described. I love the guy!

MtBaldy
07-01-2012, 16:29
Thanks! He does sound like the dobermann temperament you described. I love the guy!

One, very appropriate, nickname for Dobies is the "Velcro Dog". If you've had them you'll understand.

FCastle88
07-01-2012, 16:35
Dobermans are a great breed, it's a shame they have all kinds of health problems, especially cardio problems. I have an 8 month old female from American backyard breeder lines, she has the attached and easily trained parts down, but she acts more like a Golden Retriever with strangers, still being young, she might grow out of it but I'm not holding my breath. I'm getting another pup in a month or so from mostly European show and Schutzhund lines, hopefully this one has more of the traditional Doberman temperament.

smith10
07-01-2012, 17:10
This is a great thread. Gotta love big breeds, especially rotties.

odesskiy
07-01-2012, 17:39
My girl doesn't have a big blocky head and I suspect she's also some sort of mix. I couldn't care less, of course and love her to death. Had her since she was 8 weeks old. The most important part is that she's 100% healthy. She's been on premium food all her life, I also started her early on a glucosamine supplement to make sure her hips develop well. Also a supplement called Missing Link, which has a lot of Omega 3's and other good stuff.

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc237/odesskiy/Sadie/Sadie.jpg

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc237/odesskiy/Sadie/Sadie2.jpg

OctoberRust
07-01-2012, 19:00
What a good lookin happy pup you got there.

Thanks! :supergrin::wavey:

One, very appropriate, nickname for Dobies is the "Velcro Dog". If you've had them you'll understand.

That because he follows you every where you go? He's chewing a bone right here next to my chair as I type this. When he goes outside, after he does his business he sits right next to the door, even if it's for 30 minutes.

My girl doesn't have a big blocky head and I suspect she's also some sort of mix. I couldn't care less, of course and love her to death. Had her since she was 8 weeks old. The most important part is that she's 100% healthy. She's been on premium food all her life, I also started her early on a glucosamine supplement to make sure her hips develop well. Also a supplement called Missing Link, which has a lot of Omega 3's and other good stuff.

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc237/odesskiy/Sadie/Sadie.jpg

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc237/odesskiy/Sadie/Sadie2.jpg

Good looking dog! Looks very rottweiler to me, especially in the last pic. :wavey:

Mayhem like Me
07-02-2012, 06:25
Dobermans are a great breed, it's a shame they have all kinds of health problems, especially cardio problems. I have an 8 month old female from American backyard breeder lines, she has the attached and easily trained parts down, but she acts more like a Golden Retriever with strangers, still being young, she might grow out of it but I'm not holding my breath. I'm getting another pup in a month or so from mostly European show and Schutzhund lines, hopefully this one has more of the traditional Doberman temperament.

Funny thing is they will read you if you are aloof and indifferent and a little wary so will she.
I suggest this test.
Put her on a leash and walk her around the block have someone she does not know wear a hoody and hang out in your driveway near your cars or landscaping when you return. When she sees them in a concerned tone say some thing like...your dogs name watch them... have the person look at you and the dog and turn their back and start to hide looking back toward you.

Your dog should start to bark or growl if she does tell her shes a good girl. Make sure the friend knows to start to move away from your home looking back and stopping Every couple of yards. continue praising the dog she should pull you toward the stranger barking .. allow her to go forward at your pace and praise her. After looking back 2 or3 times your friend should run off..praise your dog for protracting you and get her inside.

If she won't bark or growl during this she is probably not going to be very protective.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

pipedreams
07-02-2012, 06:52
Funny thing is they will read you if you are aloof and indifferent and a little wary so will she.
I suggest this test.
//////////snip//////////

If she won't bark or growl during this she is probably not going to be very protective.

I don't buy into this theory after owning five Rottweilers. The breed is not a big barking breed, they tend to be more quite but can be intimidating and give a serious growl when needed. The first dog I owned had me convinced she was a big wimp until she was almost a year and a half old. While walking her another small dog kept harassing her while she was on leash, when she had enough she let out a deep growl that I had never heard before. That was the end of it and the little dog decided time to get back in his yard. They can stand their ground or even back a person into a corner without much more than serious stare.

NBT
07-02-2012, 07:42
None of my Rotties needed to be tested to encourage or display protective behavior in any way...they proved it on their own. I am not talking about doing bite work.
Please know that encouraging a Rottie to take a defensive, protective stance....without proper, consistent, training in a controlled environment could lead to a potential lifetime of problems.
I encourage anyone with a Rottweiler to take lot's of classes with your dog. Get your CGC, STAR Puppy Cert, CD, Therapy Cert (if applicable)...and so on.
These guy's have a bad enough reputation as it is...protect yourself, and your dog through proper training...everything else will fall into place.
It's in there...don't doubt it for a minute.
All our Rotties have proven it at one point, and we never had to encourage them.
All our dog's (Loki, Bart, Bismark) had/have a minimum of Canine Good Citizen.
Dakota had his CD, CGC, and did Therapy work through Project PUP.
CoCo has her CGC, working on her CD, and just got through Therapy class.

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f106/nothnbutrouble/43ffa277-1.gif

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f106/nothnbutrouble/photobucket-36057-1335454187474.jpg

MtBaldy
07-02-2012, 08:01
That because he follows you every where you go? :

Yes, most Dobies want to be as close to their owner's as they can get. They are wonderful family dogs but will have one family member chosen as "The One". I had a 125 lb female Doberman when I met my wife. The dog loved my wife and her kids but there was no doubt she was my dog.

pipedreams
07-02-2012, 08:29
None of my Rotties needed to be tested to encourage or display protective behavior in any way...they proved it on their own. I am not talking about doing bite work.
Please know that encouraging a Rottie to take a defensive, protective stance....without proper, consistent, training in a controlled environment could lead to a potential lifetime of problems.
I encourage anyone with a Rottweiler to take lot's of classes with your dog. Get your CGC, STAR Puppy Cert, CD, Therapy Cert (if applicable)...and so on.
These guy's have a bad enough reputation as it is...protect yourself, and your dog through proper training...everything else will fall into place.
All our Rotties have proven it at one point, and we never had to encourage them.

:goodpost: The best dogs I ever owned, but train, train, train and you'll never be sorry. Start basic training right away, don't wait till their 60 pounds and a handful to deal with. Their very smart and eager to please.

Mayhem like Me
07-02-2012, 08:40
I don't buy into this theory after owning five Rottweilers. The breed is not a big barking breed, they tend to be more quite but can be intimidating and give a serious growl when needed. The first dog I owned had me convinced she was a big wimp until she was almost a year and a half old. While walking her another small dog kept harassing her while she was on leash, when she had enough she let out a deep growl that I had never heard before. That was the end of it and the little dog decided time to get back in his yard. They can stand their ground or even back a person into a corner without much more than serious stare.

This is a test for a dogs protective instincts.
If your Rottie does anything other than go towards the suspicious person with ears erect and or a warning bark or growl chances are they are not that protective.

What a dog will do to another dog is quite different than what they will do around an adult human.

I can tell from a dogs posture what they are doing , if the dog looks to get behind you in this scenario be very cautios of them around people.

A rottie may not bark , but should put itself between you and the suspicious individual.

Mayhem like Me
07-02-2012, 09:04
All our dog's (Loki, Bart, Bismark) had/have a minimum of Canine Good Citizen.
Dakota had his CD, CGC, and did Therapy work through Project PUP.
CoCo has her CGC, working on her CD, and just got through Therapy class.

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f106/nothnbutrouble/43ffa277-1.gif

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f106/nothnbutrouble/photobucket-36057-1335454187474.jpg

Not all Rotties have protective instincts, I have trained enough of them to know that the number that will actually protect their master is pretty low 50% at best.

Get lots of obedience training for sure, but you are living in a dream world if you have a protective rottie and don't do some professional protection training with it.

And you need to know while it's a puppy if it is inclined to protect you, not when it's full grown and you 're walking it around people.

Many will want a Rottie with a great backround but in reality very few have the instincts to protect the family, you don't want your dog to bite out of fear, fear biters are unpredictable and dangerous, and sadly many rotties become fear biters due to horrible training, or no direction or training from the master.

You need to direct how your dog responds to a threat and be in charge when he or she does, letting them figure it out on their own is a disaster waiting to happen.

G29Reload
07-02-2012, 09:51

That's it. Blame the dog. :upeyes:

Hey if you have a Rotweiller, is it ok to take it to WM with your home schooled kid after getting your tattoo?

:rofl:

pipedreams
07-02-2012, 11:27
If your Rottie does anything other than go towards the suspicious person with ears erect and or a warning bark or growl chances are they are not that protective.

What a dog will do to another dog is quite different than what they will do around an adult human.

I can tell from a dogs posture what they are doing , if the dog looks to get behind you in this scenario be very cautios of them around people.

A rottie may not bark , but should put itself between you and the suspicious individual.
I may have misread or misunderstood what you were getting at but I do understand what Schutzhund tests consist of and you are correct about a shy dog or a dog going after another dog but not a human. I have done conformation, and obedience but never participated in Schutzhund other than to observe. The pics are of the same dog in different lighting but one shows her in a relaxed state and the other alert on something. Just like conceal carry a protection dog can get you into serious legal problems if you don't fully understand what your doing.

HOTHEAD
07-02-2012, 23:32
The newest member of my family, we named him Grimm and he is 8 weeks.

NBT
07-03-2012, 05:38
The newest member of my family, we named him Grimm and he is 8 weeks.

Grimm is going to be a big boy...enjoy the puppy breath...it never last's long enough.

FCastle88
07-03-2012, 05:59

Barking and/or pursuing someone who is retreating/hiding isn't really protective behavior, more like guarding their territory, or just curiosity. There's a big difference between barking at a suspicious person who's walking away, and having the nerve, aggression, and protective instinct to actually defend their master from a real threat. To test protectiveness, the person should actually come towards you acting angry/intimidating, yelling, maybe swinging a stick around, etc. The dog should move in front of you and start barking, then if the threat keeps coming the dog should lunge to attack. In the test you describe, you're encouraging the dog to pursue someone who's retreating, and who wasn't really a threat to begin with, that's more offensive/prey drive than it is defensive.

If I did your test with my pup, she'd go into her alert posture and watch them, if the person made a sudden movement she might bark, but a Doberman's instinct is to stay near their master to protect them, not go off chasing someone. Plus the protective instinct usually doesn't start to come out until the dog is at least a year old, formal temperament/protectiveness testing isn't done until at least 18 months of age, a puppy usually isn't going to be protective. You can do tests to get an idea of a young pups drives, personality, etc., but protective instinct is something you mostly have to wait for them to mature before you can test it, plus protectiveness is affected by how the pup is raised as well.

Mayhem like Me
07-03-2012, 18:36
Barking and/or pursuing someone who is retreating/hiding isn't really protective behavior, more like guarding their territory, or just curiosity. There's a big difference between barking at a suspicious person who's walking away, and having the nerve, aggression, and protective instinct to actually defend their master from a real threat. To test protectiveness, the person should actually come towards you acting angry/intimidating, yelling, maybe swinging a stick around, etc. The dog should move in front of you and start barking, then if the threat keeps coming the dog should lunge to attack. In the test you describe, you're encouraging the dog to pursue someone who's retreating, and who wasn't really a threat to begin with, that's more offensive/prey drive than it is defensive.

If I did your test with my pup, she'd go into her alert posture and watch them, if the person made a sudden movement she might bark, but a Doberman's instinct is to stay near their master to protect them, not go off chasing someone. Plus the protective instinct usually doesn't start to come out until the dog is at least a year old, formal temperament/protectiveness testing isn't done until at least 18 months of age, a puppy usually isn't going to be protective. You can do tests to get an idea of a young pups drives, personality, etc., but protective instinct is something you mostly have to wait for them to mature before you can test it, plus protectiveness is affected by how the pup is raised as well.

Where did I say Chase, the test is a valid indicator of protective behavior. A pup that hides behind its master at 8 months will not suddenly develop protective traits

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

NBT
07-15-2012, 05:56
For those interested in the history, and the standard of the Rottweiler...here is a great vid.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mo5_-Mef5aM&feature=player_embedded#! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mo5_-Mef5aM&feature=player_embedded#%21)
On a side note...we took a trip to the local dog park yesterday...and well...my girl is a complete nut...loves to play. Took 2 hours to clean her up...but what fun she had.

In regards to drives,(prey, pack defense)...I leave you with this:
http://www.volhard.com/pages/canine-personality-profile.php

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f106/nothnbutrouble/aba78bce.jpg

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f106/nothnbutrouble/79bc9400.jpg

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f106/nothnbutrouble/a36f03ca.jpg

RottnJP
07-15-2012, 07:28
:goodpost: The best dogs I ever owned, but train, train, train and you'll never be sorry. Start basic training right away, don't wait till their 60 pounds and a handful to deal with. They're very smart and eager to please.

Agreed with this, and NBT's posts above: NBT obviously has enough to add here I haven't bothered up 'till now- Spot on.

A lot of people don't realize that Rotts are also smart. Most people focus on their physicality, and forget their brains need work too.

Rotts want to have a job, and understand how they fit into the pack structure. They're typically not very forward about trying to "take over" but they want to know that there is a functioning structure in place. If they don't see clear leadership, they are fine assuming that role, and then you can have problems.

(I love Akitas too, but they can be a little more "assertive" about their desire to be in charge, and tend to be a little more "one person" focused than "pack focused" in my experience.)

So anyway, one of the things training does is help both the owner and the dog develop the discipline and communication skills with each other to understand & maintain their respective roles. Plan for it, and recognize that the cost of good training, at least the fundamentals, is a bargain compared to what one bite incident can result in under the wrong circumstances.

One biter I know of was probably a fine dog fundamentally, but the owners didn't do their training, and didn't understand the need for it. As a result, they let the dog think it was in charge as it grew from being a cute little puppy into a 120 pound adult. Then one day "mom" tried to move it from the couch in a hurry, and just grabbed it's collar and tugged. It didn't like that, and she tried again after it growled. It nipped her like she was a wayward pack-mate that didn't recognize it's place... It wasn't a bad bite, but human skin isn't as thick as a Rott's, and all of a sudden you have a dog that ended up getting put down because of a bite history and scared & ignorant parents who hadn't done their homework.

In worse cases, obviously if your dog seriously hurts someone, or even has a minor bite with a litigious person, the cost of basic training pales in comparison. Not to mention, it should be fun and rewarding for all concerned.

If you are looking for a higher activity level, you can even do agility. A Rott will never be a serious competitor, but it'll be fun, and good exercise.

Ultimately, I've temperament tested lots of dogs over the years, and every one I had to fail I saw the marks of bad parenting, except one. And that one was a blind puppy with neurological issues from the start.

FireForged
07-15-2012, 10:19
After your pup fills out it may tell you a little more. Right now I would lean towards it being a rot. I would like to see pics at one year. As others have already said, it doesnt matter if its a good dog ... and dont listen to the goofs at the pet store, they are typically right only by accident.

JuneyBooney
07-15-2012, 16:49
Looks a little dobie to me, a bit too pointy. Maybe a rott mix, but who cares if he's a good dog.

I agree. He is a beautiful dog. :cool: He will make a great pet and if he gets along with the other dog that is an added benefit. He may have dobie in him and if so that may help him have better health over the years. Take lots of pics..they grow up fast.

bsg1
07-15-2012, 17:43
my rott has long nose and slender face, but she's a female. over time, her face filled out more than what she came with; facial appearance will make subtle changes over time, and your puppy may look more and more like a rott as time goes on.

any way you slice the bread, that's one beautiful puppy you've got there.

congratulations!

tazbigdog
07-15-2012, 17:49
I had 2 and have another one right now. Ears look like a mix, but there is rottie in there. Good luck! Jeff

OctoberRust
07-15-2012, 19:09
Hey guys, just saw this thread popup again so might as well throw in an update.

Took Sarge to the vet yesterday for nail clipping and Rabies shots. Weighed him in at 70 lbs, and he's only 7 months old. :wow:

It already hurts like heck when he steps on my foot, I can only imagine how it's going to feel when he's fully grown. :crying:

JuneyBooney
07-15-2012, 22:40
Hey guys, just picked up a rottweiler the other day. Super sweet dog, he's almost 6 months old and 60 pounds. The guy said he's a pure breed, but wasn't motivated to get the AKC papers and just wanted him to go to a good home. I brought him to petco with me today to grab him a kennel until he's fully house trained and bigger, and an employee insisted this is not a rottweiler. I didn't spend too much time arguing, I looked a little online, and it seems the way rottweilers look from their snout/ears vary. Was this guy correct?

Also, either way is fine with me, I've only had this dog for 2 days now and already love him to death! He's the most relaxed puppy I've ever seen! He's going to make a great addition to the family. :cool:

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg703/scaled.php?server=703&filename=imag0235kh.jpg&res=landing

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg163/scaled.php?server=163&filename=imag0243jm.jpg&res=landing

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg441/scaled.php?server=441&filename=imag0241ak.jpg&res=landing

He is a good looking critter. Congrats on your new family member. It would be very hard to prove or disprove "pure" unless you have a great lab go a dna and then you would find that even though he may not look pure...he could very well be pure. :cool: The narrower hips actually help his hips as he ages. Good luck with him and don't allow any trainer to do vertical jumps with him because that can hurt their developing joints.

tslex
07-15-2012, 23:19
. . . . .
How to grade your dog's food:
Start with a grade of 100:

. . . . .

Here are some foods that have already been scored. If you don't see your dog's food here.

Dog Food scores:

Authority Harvest Baked / Score 116 A+
Bil-Jac Select / Score 68 F
Canidae / Score 112 A+
Chicken Soup Senior / Score 115 A+
Diamond Maintenance / Score 64 F
Diamond Lamb Meal & Rice / Score 92 B
Diamond Large Breed 60+ Formula / Score 99 A
Dick Van Patten's Natural Balance Ultra Premium / Score 122 A+
Dick Van Patten's Duck and Potato / Score 106 A+
Foundations / Score 106 A+
Hund-n-Flocken Adult Dog (lamb) by Solid Gold / Score 93 D
Iams Lamb Meal & Rice Formula Premium / Score 73 D
Innova Dog / Score 114 A+
Innova Evo / Score 114 A+
Kirkland Signature Chicken, Rice, and Vegetables / Score 110 A+
Nutrisource Lamb and Rice / Score 87 B
Nutro Natural Choice Large Breed Puppy / Score 87 B
Pet Gold Adult with Lamb & Rice / Score 23 F
ProPlan Natural Turkey & Barley / Score 103 A+
Purina Benful / Score 17 F
Purina Dog / Score 62 F
Purina Come-n-Get It / Score 16 F
Royal Canin Bulldog / Score 100 A+
Royal Canin Natural Blend Adult / Score 106 A+
Sensible Choice Chicken and Rice / Score 97 A
Science Diet Advanced Protein Senior 7+ / Score 63 F
Science Diet for Large Breed Puppies / Score 69 F
Wellness Super5 Mix Chicken / Score 110 A+
Wolfking Adult Dog (bison) by Solid Gold / Score 97 A

CoCo is raw fed, no kibble. . . . .

Thanks for this, NBT.

Very useful info.

Can you provide more info -- maybe it's a separate thread, in which case please tag me lest I miss it -- about your raw feeding regime?

NBT
07-16-2012, 06:12
Thanks for this, NBT.

Very useful info.

Can you provide more info -- maybe it's a separate thread, in which case please tag me lest I miss it -- about your raw feeding regime?
Link and info to "Dog Kibble Grading System"...
http://www.dogforum.net/dog-food-nutrition/8065-vagreys-kibble-grading-system.html

Yes I can...do yourself a favor and get these two books written by Tom Lonsdale called Raw Meaty Bones Promote Health.
Without going into this man's quest to challenge kibble manufacturers...about what's really behind a baked kibble...he really explains in detail why, how, and what the long and short term benefit(s) of a raw diet for pet's.
The first is a bit less technical...the second takes a bit more time to read. Being in healthcare for 25 years it was easy to follow...not that it get's that technical.
Raw Meaty Bones (http://www.rawmeatybones.com/book-ww.php)
Raw Meaty Bones (http://www.rawmeatybones.com/book.php)

In a nutshell I feed my Rottie @ 2% of her adult estimated body weight/day. I estimate she will be around 100lbs...give or take. This equates to 2lbs/meat/day.
I buy meat in bulk through a local wholesale meat supplier and a local raw food co-op I found on yahoo. Together I am able to feed our dogs for just about 65-80 cent's per pound....versus a "quality kibble" like lets say Blue Buffalo, which cost's me $1.50/lb.
Here is a "typical" meal for CoCo (our Rottie)...Cow tongue, raw egg, green tripe, and cow cheek. I will also feed a deer front lower leg, or a hog shoulder for bone after a boneless meal. Bone is the binding to keep a solid stool.
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f106/nothnbutrouble/abafc80f.jpg

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f106/nothnbutrouble/49d60b36.jpg

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f106/nothnbutrouble/3926a5d8.jpg

This is a informative video about the benefits of feeding dogs and cats a species specific, raw food diet. The veterinarian in the video also give answers to the questions about parasites and salmonella. A raw prey diet: 80% muscle meat, 10% bone, 10% organ meat. Most of the meat is whole meat, very little is ground. She gets most of her bone content from chicken leg quarters, but also some bone from various cuts of pork....and the aforementioned benefit's of bow season...and pig hunting.

YouTube - Raw Meat Diet for Dogs and Cats

Hey JP...look at this idiot..."let's provoke this behavior"
Rottweiler puppy attacks to defend his food (rodos greece) - YouTube

OctoberRust
07-16-2012, 06:31
He is a good looking critter. Congrats on your new family member. It would be very hard to prove or disprove "pure" unless you have a great lab go a dna and then you would find that even though he may not look pure...he could very well be pure. :cool: The narrower hips actually help his hips as he ages. Good luck with him and don't allow any trainer to do vertical jumps with him because that can hurt their developing joints.

Thanks Juney. And yea, I'm going with what my vet said, most likely a rotterman. Both breeds are fine with me though.

I'll keep that in mind about the vertical jumps, it seems big dogs usually have hip problems later on in life.

Arc Angel
07-16-2012, 06:47
None of the larger dogs should do any kind of jumps until they're, at least, 18 months old. This is especially true for Dobermans and Rotties. If you've ever seen a younger dog with a very loose, sort of wobbly, gait then you know what I mean. The joints need time to develop and firm up BEFORE requiring the dog to jump.

tslex
07-16-2012, 08:38
@NBT, that is fascinating stuff.

Funny, one of my long-held beliefs (which is not to say it has ANY basis other that it is long-held) is that you ought not give dogs chicken bones. Obviously you have got a fantastically healthy beast there (he gleams in those photos). I'm going to look into this.

Did you start raw diet with the pups?

bsg1
07-27-2012, 19:19
None of the larger dogs should do any kind of jumps until they're, at least, 18 months old. This is especially true for Dobermans and Rotties. If you've ever seen a younger dog with a very loose, sort of wobbly, gait then you know what I mean. The joints need time to develop and firm up BEFORE requiring the dog to jump.

i agree. you want to get them through those "growth spurt" periods without incident, when they are most vulnerable to the "hip disease." also, you don't want to "over-protein" the dog during those periods, either.

my rott does have the joint disease, and despite the limitations imposed upon her from this medical problem... she's a happy girl. she keeps her male pit in line, and still rules the roost. as you know, the female rott must be in charge when there are other pets in the home.

NBT
07-28-2012, 04:47
@NBT, that is fascinating stuff.

Funny, one of my long-held beliefs (which is not to say it has ANY basis other that it is long-held) is that you ought not give dogs chicken bones. Obviously you have got a fantastically healthy beast there (he gleams in those photos). I'm going to look into this.

Did you start raw diet with the pups?

No I did not start out on raw.
I have been a kibble feeder for years.
CoCo is our first Rottie started out on raw. Should have done it years ago. We did switch our 13 year old Corgi last year...man how nice it was not to deal with his nasty breath anymore. No more pink belly from what our vet told us was pollen allergies....and no more fish ass from the sac not draining...diet took care of that too.
Do not feed cooked bones of any kind. Weight bearing bones are not recommended either...but I do admit giving them frozen until the dog's get the marrow out of them...then they hit the trash.

I used to believe that the dog can't have chicken bone either....not so much....see any side to side (Herbivore) grinding of the food in the vid's....no.
Dog's are Carnivores...not Omni or Herbivores Chomp...crack...rip/tear..swallow.
My Rottie will not use her feet either (cannot remember why they don't)
I have not fed an entire chicken in one sitting...some people will feed like most wild dog's eat...gorge in one sitting and then fast for a day...then feed for four day's....rest.

IF your really into raw feeding for your dog's...there are a few great books out there...I might have put them up already...Lew Olsen...Tom Lonsdale.
Honestly...our dog's coat is like velvet...half the shedding...no nasty breath...even temperament...and 1/4 the poop. We just picked up 590 lbs of meat...and it averaged $.99 cent's a pound. For "premium kibble" it's around $1.50 lb for food.
Rottweiler eats whole raw chicken - YouTube

Here is another fella grinding them down...
This is what happens when you feed raw food to dogs!!! - YouTube

eracer
07-28-2012, 05:21
My roomate had a Rotty when we lived on a fenced acre. She was really sweet, and never barked - unless someone was in the yard at night who didn't belong there. If we heard barking at night (which happened I think three times in the four years we lived there) we'd both come out of our respective rooms and into the yard armed and ready to confront the trespasser we KNEW was out there.

She was a great dog. But man oh man did that dog STINK. I mean, vomit in your mouth stink. She was bathed twice a week, and still that dog had a vile aroma about her.

They must make a special 'inside version' mutation for those of you who keep your Rottys indoor. That, or you bathe them twice a day.

NBT
08-18-2012, 06:36
Not sure what was up with your buddies Rottie, but mine doesn't have a "terrible" odor at all.
I can say that a few years ago, we did watch a dog that was on a certain brand of kibble, and that dog smelled like a wet mix of that food and dog...it was pretty bad.

On a side note...found this on our Rottie forum...what kind of sick ***k would pull a stunt like that to an innocent animal.

http://www.cnn.com/video/?hpt=hp_t2#/video/us/2012/08/16/dnt-oh-dogs-tied-to-tracks.wews

tazbigdog
08-18-2012, 07:23
I had a rottie that used to stink (read fart badly) and figured it was the crap dog food I was feeding him. Found a better brand (healthier and more expensive) and the farting badly ceased.

selogic
08-18-2012, 10:42
Our last dog was a Rottie . She was a big baby . Loved people , expecially children . Not very smart though . :supergrin:

HOTHEAD
08-19-2012, 14:26
I know the thread has spun off into more of a diet posting, but the wife asked me to snap a new pic of him this morning for her FB. For what it's worth, we feed him Merrick kibble, we also mix in plain yogurt and chicken baby food. I have been researching a raw diet, but my vet said it is not always best to start a pup off on raw.

http://i1212.photobucket.com/albums/cc452/rkaa2414626/Grimm.jpg
15 weeks

Also, don't beat me up about the porch needing a little work, its on the list, and the wife already beat you to it when she uploaded the pic to her FB page:embarassed:

OctoberRust
08-21-2012, 06:44
I know the thread has spun off into more of a diet posting, but the wife asked me to snap a new pic of him this morning for her FB. For what it's worth, we feed him Merrick kibble, we also mix in plain yogurt and chicken baby food. I have been researching a raw diet, but my vet said it is not always best to start a pup off on raw.

http://i1212.photobucket.com/albums/cc452/rkaa2414626/Grimm.jpg
15 weeks

Also, don't beat me up about the porch needing a little work, its on the list, and the wife already beat you to it when she uploaded the pic to her FB page:embarassed:

Nice looking rott! :)

I need to upload some more of my guy sometime. He's gained a lot of weight since the OP I posted.

MtBaldy
08-21-2012, 09:00
Some reasons why I don't, and won't, feed Obie a raw diet:

http://pets.webmd.com/dogs/guide/raw-dog-food-dietary-concerns-benefits-and-risks

NBT
08-26-2012, 07:39
Hothead, you have a beautiful pup there...I'm surprised your vet even "supported" raw at all. Yogurt is a great source of calcium, and the dog's love it. Mine go for it first when I give it. This week were serving rabbit, turkey heart, cow cheek and green tripe.

Some reasons why I don't, and won't, feed Obie a raw diet:

http://pets.webmd.com/dogs/guide/raw-dog-food-dietary-concerns-benefits-and-risks

I am not "hammering you or anyone" who feed's their dog kibble. I did for over 25 years. Only recently did I "start drinking the koolaid".

I love the "source" for these articles...the AVMA.
Regarding raw food diets and pet health, there is nearly no quantifiable data either for or against.
I do know that Tom Lonsdale attempted to get the AVMA involved in doing research on raw diet's years ago. Kibble MFG vet's and scientist's kept putting the squash on Tom's attempt to publish his research (based off of periodontal disease in the kibble fed dog)....let alone to help him start further "control groups" to find the benefits, risks, burdens, and effectiveness of both the raw and kibble fed animals as it related to periodontal disease.
That was it...one attempt to establish that kibble may not allow for the proper "scraping away, massaging, brushing" the tartar off of the K9's teeth....and therefore this phenomenon was the pathogen for the further health problems in dogs. Leading to renal failure, terrible breath, cardiomyopathy...and a host of other problems.
Anyhow...it all fell on deaf ears...and there are thousands of pages of debate on the subject.

Do your own research...and go from there. I will say that the kibble available on the market today is light years ahead of what I was feeding my hunting dog's back in the early 80's. They all lived to a ripe old age...so it's not like feeding them kibble is knocking 5 yrs off of their life. I made the choice and have been extremely happy with it. I have read at least 10 books on the subject, talked to my vet, have my own dog's and friends that also feed raw.

I hope that I don't come off as pushing the raw diet on anyone...please don't take it that way. Just information...nothing more....nothing less.

Raw fed pup's...much older now. They are doing great...all sold now. They started on raw at 4 weeks.
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f106/nothnbutrouble/85b167da.jpg

HOTHEAD
11-08-2012, 20:27
Grimm 6 months old now, just felt like posting a pic

http://i1212.photobucket.com/albums/cc452/rkaa2414626/Grimm6months.jpg

Kimelac
11-08-2012, 21:15
Did someone say big dog?

http://imgur.com/a/1AayE

30 inch head
http://i.imgur.com/kBsp7.jpg

6' nose to tail, 220 lbs.
http://i.imgur.com/jONIf.jpg

Rotn1
03-09-2013, 09:11
25 years ago..... our first Rottweiler and #1 son

http://i1355.photobucket.com/albums/q701/Rotn1/DanaampTom2001_zps2f697f3b.jpg

Rotn1
03-09-2013, 09:46
Our Second Rott, a big male
http://i1355.photobucket.com/albums/q701/Rotn1/12-17-2007_001_zpsade635b3.jpg

And then the two ladies

http://i1355.photobucket.com/albums/q701/Rotn1/photo1_zpsf21ff8c3.jpg

Mayhem like Me
03-11-2013, 09:32
Our Second Rott, a big male
http://i1355.photobucket.com/albums/q701/Rotn1/12-17-2007_001_zpsade635b3.jpg

And then the two ladies

http://i1355.photobucket.com/albums/q701/Rotn1/photo1_zpsf21ff8c3.jpg

Those girls are awesome

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

HOTHEAD
08-06-2013, 18:21
Miss this thread,
14 months now, 27 high, right about 100 lbs now and starting to bulk up.

http://i1212.photobucket.com/albums/cc452/rkaa2414626/Image-6574_zpsedba7637.jpg

NewWaveGuy
08-07-2013, 14:43
tagged

janice6
08-07-2013, 14:57
That's a beautiful dog. My neighbor has had two and they started out looking like yours as a pup, but put on bulk and now are classical looking Rotties.

They are a wonderful dog and if I could manage the size, I would have one in a heartbeat. The neighbors Rottie comes over to visit often and is the best company you could ask for. She also couldn't be more considerate of our Yorkie.

You will be so pleased with him. Be the Alpha.

HOTHEAD
12-09-2013, 11:41
Updated pic
19 months. Still lean at about 100 lbs

https://scontent-b-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/1463056_10201059939729867_1611450719_n.jpg

Hoping he puts on about 15 more.

And the mailman is still the DEVIL!!!

ranger1968
12-09-2013, 11:57
Yeah, he looks like he might be some sort of mix (although clearly the Rotty is the dominant gene) but who cares? you rescued him , and he looks like a great dog!:cool:

tony4311
12-09-2013, 16:34
It's the normal growth pattern for a Rottweiler. The grow up then out.

itisbruno
12-09-2013, 16:37
Updated pic
19 months. Still lean at about 100 lbs

https://scontent-b-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/1463056_10201059939729867_1611450719_n.jpg

Hoping he puts on about 15 more.

And the mailman is still the DEVIL!!!

I CANNOT BELIEVE you let that animal in the house

:miff:

:tongueout:

Looks like a happy dog

:supergrin:

:cool:

windancr
12-09-2013, 17:43
so good to see how he has grown, happy for both of you.
beautiful dog.

Foxterriermom
12-09-2013, 17:46
Beautiful dog! I would like to have a big dog some day.

sigman69
12-09-2013, 17:57

I agree..if it is a good dog that is all that matters.

Detectorist
12-09-2013, 18:38
Years ago, while doing door to door sales, I was let in to a customer's house. I was positioned between the coffee table and the sofa. All of a sudden these two huge Rotts appear. They then jumped over the table, knocked me down on the sofa, and then started licking me and barking. they just wanted to play. I had to change my BVDs.

I got the sale.

itisbruno
12-09-2013, 18:41
Beautiful dog! I would like to have a big dog some day.

woof

:eyelashes:

Foxterriermom
12-09-2013, 23:09
woof

:eyelashes:

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSssHnhHS5_ZSjyn47z_tWFjBbaqHj8_vYcfhmSXrEzGIHj424-7Q

Mayhem like Me
12-10-2013, 13:37
I had to give an update with the picture he's about 6 now and so happy...
Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Ohub Campfire mobile app

relayman
12-13-2013, 08:15
We used to have a female Rottie . Lost her to a very fast developing cancer . Very sweet dog . Loved people . Not the smartest dog I ever owned . That would have been my Labrador .