Sig Mosquito... who's had good experiences? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Sig Mosquito... who's had good experiences?

Inebriated
06-10-2012, 20:59
Tried one at the range, and I liked it a lot... Only one failure to feed in 200 rounds with thunderbolt, which I am guessing is lucky, given the reviews I've seen of them. So has anyone had good experiences, before I pull the trigger on this?

Bro KV
06-10-2012, 21:22
I had 1200 flawless rounds through mine using CCI Mini Mags

Inebriated
06-10-2012, 22:12
Any luck with Federal Champion, by any chance? Works in all my other .22's the best, so I'd be pleased if it worked in that.... Not a deal breaker, but still.

Bro KV
06-10-2012, 22:20
I never tried anything else. The Mini Mags worked and they don't cost much more then bulk ammo.

Inebriated
06-10-2012, 22:25
True enough.

countrygun
06-10-2012, 22:37
Had problems before i switched to Mini-Mags and have been trouble free since. I was told that the CCI will wear things in for other ammo---I'll let you know when I run out of the CCI. I love a .22 big enough to get a good firing grip on, that has a light rail, for critters around the barn at night.

Inebriated
06-10-2012, 22:40
Had problems before i switched to Mini-Mags and have been trouble free since. I was told that the CCI will wear things in for other ammo---I'll let you know when I run out of the CCI. I love a .22 big enough to get a good firing grip on, that has a light rail, for critters around the barn at night.
That's the biggest selling point for me... it feels almost like a service pistol, not a toy. And I have read that it ships with a lighter and a heavier spring... Is the lighter one intended to be used with cheaper bulk stuff?

countrygun
06-10-2012, 22:47
That's the biggest selling point for me... it feels almost like a service pistol, not a toy. And I have read that it ships with a lighter and a heavier spring... Is the lighter one intended to be used with cheaper bulk stuff?

I think that was the theory but from what I gathered, and what happened to me so far, the lighter spring didn't work with much of anything but once the heavier spring breaks in IT does work with every thing.

One thing I did notice. I monkeyed around with the different front sights but since I coudn't get it to run on anything but the CCI I didn't really worry about zero. when I got smart and listened to the folks saying "CCI" i found I had to take a front that was one step too high and file it down to get the zero I wanted for "night work"

JaPes
06-11-2012, 08:13
That's the biggest selling point for me... it feels almost like a service pistol, not a toy.

If you want a .22lr semi-auto that is as big as it's full size centerfire cousin, check out the S&W M&P 22.

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f275/suba-saab/SW%20MP%209%20vs%2022/IMG_0387-1.jpg

It cycles Winchester & Federal bulk ammo without issue.

Outside of the fact that the Mosquito I once owned never worked reliably even with CCI MiniMag, it had some other shortcomings. I'm not a trigger snob, but the trigger on the Mosquito was god awful. The sights were horrible.

Inebriated
06-11-2012, 12:33
If you want a .22lr semi-auto that is as big as it's full size centerfire cousin, check out the S&W M&P 22.

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f275/suba-saab/SW%20MP%209%20vs%2022/IMG_0387-1.jpg

It cycles Winchester & Federal bulk ammo without issue.

Outside of the fact that the Mosquito I once owned never worked reliably even with CCI MiniMag, it had some other shortcomings. I'm not a trigger snob, but the trigger on the Mosquito was god awful. The sights were horrible.
I actually saw that last night, and it really got my attention. I'll have to try one out.

FLIPPER 348
06-11-2012, 13:57
The only positive experience I had with my bought new Sig Mosquito was trading it at a loss after jumping through every recommend hoop by Sig to get it to function.

Bilbo Bagins
06-11-2012, 14:26
I had 1200 flawless rounds through mine using CCI Mini Mags

+1

I put about 1000 rounds thru mine without issues as well. I really hate internet gunspeak sometimes.

The Internet says - The Ruger MKIII is great and the Sig Mosquito sucks.

Well I bought the MKIII and it sucked. Its a PITA to re-assemble after cleaning and needed a mallet, the mags do not drop free, and it was not 100% reliable. However if you listen to the internet the MKIII is God's gift to rimfire pistols :dunno:

Traded the MKIII for the Sig Mosquito and after I ran 200 round of CCI mini mags thru it, it was 100% reliable with everything.

The only thing I did not like about the mosquito was the trigger is unusually fat. I bought it as a trainer for my kids, but the grip is kind of too thick for them and the safety is hard to reach with your thumb. I liked it and had fun with it, but since I already have a AA kit for my glock, I traded the Mosquito for only a $70 loss.

I'm probably getting a Browning Buckmark or a Beretta Neos for the kids.

Inebriated
06-11-2012, 17:16
+1

I put about 1000 rounds thru mine without issues as well. I really hate internet gunspeak sometimes.

The Internet says - The Ruger MKIII is great and the Sig Mosquito sucks.

Well I bought the MKIII and it sucked. Its a PITA to re-assemble after cleaning and needed a mallet, the mags do not drop free, and it was not 100% reliable. However if you listen to the internet the MKIII is God's gift to rimfire pistols :dunno:

Traded the MKIII for the Sig Mosquito and after I ran 200 round of CCI mini mags thru it, it was 100% reliable with everything.

The only thing I did not like about the mosquito was the trigger is unusually fat. I bought it as a trainer for my kids, but the grip is kind of too thick for them and the safety is hard to reach with your thumb. I liked it and had fun with it, but since I already have a AA kit for my glock, I traded the Mosquito for only a $70 loss.

I'm probably getting a Browning Buckmark or a Beretta Neos for the kids.
Internet gunspeak is the same as everything else... always hear the negative, never the positive. My only concern was I've seen the one I used do well, and another at the range last year that was just a nightmare. Though I'm seeing a trend that CCI is the ammo of choice, and I'd bet that's not what a lot of these folks are using.

I've also looked at the AA Glock kit, and I love the concept (this gun is used solely to get cheap practice at the range), but I almost prefer to have a similar (M&P .22/Mosquito), but separate, gun.

skeeter7
06-12-2012, 03:05
I had a decent experience with mine. It functioned flawlessly on MiniMags and did okay with the Walmart Federal bulk stuff. I agree that the trigger is a little funky and the sights also aren't the greatest. I got rid of mine after seeing multiple Mosquitos popping up with cracks in the zinc slides on another forum. Traded mine in towards a Browning BuckMark Practical URX and couldn't be happier.

GEN3
06-12-2012, 09:59
Sorry but nothing really good to report on the mosquito. I only ran CCI mini mags through it and it was sent back twice. It would stove pipe 2-3 round out of every mag. I traded it in and picked up a ruger MKIII and have been happy ever since. I really like the looks of the M&P but because of the mosquito I'm really hesitant about picking up another .22 that was not originally built for that platform.

uhlawpup
06-12-2012, 18:55
Mine is trouble free with mini mags.

An impressive and fun-to-shoot handgun.

jasonhcc
06-17-2012, 01:43
I've had mine for nearly 3 years now. It really only likes the CCI ammo.
Federal and Winchester will not cycle in mine.

They are quite accurate, much more than I expected.

Fun and worth having around.

GSSF17
06-17-2012, 10:02
I absolutely love mine. Bought it by total accident- got a killer deal so figured why not. I had heard all the bad internet tales about them, but I gambled. Boy, was I surprised! It is a great little pistol. I shoot Federal Automatch, Federal Lightning, and CCI Blazer bulk with no problems.

:thumbsup: