GA voters - what's your take on T-SPLOST? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : GA voters - what's your take on T-SPLOST?

gwalchmai
06-11-2012, 09:35
I can't see anything to convince me it's not just more of the same, so I'm voting no.

Anyone else?

JBnTX
06-11-2012, 10:07
What is it?:dunno:

gwalchmai
06-11-2012, 10:21
What is it?:dunno:A proposed one percent sales tax to be used for transportation in GA.

http://www.t-splost.com/

and

http://tsplost.wordpress.com/

G29Reload
06-11-2012, 12:00
Man if you've ever been on I75 south of Atlanta, them 'necks down there don't have any problem at all transportin' themselves at a HIGH rate o speed!:supergrin:

No help needed what soever now get the hell out the way afore I run ya off the road.

Everyone runs 10 over the speed limit universally, I think they think the 75 in I 75 means 85 to them. Cause if you ain't doin that you'll be missin some doors shortly.:wavey:

JBnTX
06-11-2012, 14:06
I used to be a truck driver and that 285 loop around Atlanta scared me to death.

The speed limit was 55mph, I'm doing 65mph and all the cars were passing me
like I was standing still.

That's scary in a big truck that loaded heavy and moves slow.

It seems everyday is NASCAR day to those crackers.

But, I'm against public transportation and raising taxes to pay for it.
Nobody will ride it anyway.

The answer is more roads, and more lanes on the existing roads.
Not higher taxes.

GAFinch
06-11-2012, 15:36
I'm voting no on it. Besides the fact that the local highway projects aren't anything special, I'm mostly concerned that it won't be a one-time tax. Whenever a new tax is added, it almost never goes away. Voters will forget what it is and keep automatically renewing it at the booths.

gwalchmai
06-11-2012, 15:49
I'm voting no on it. Besides the fact that the local highway projects aren't anything special, I'm mostly concerned that it won't be a one-time tax. Whenever a new tax is added, it almost never goes away. Voters will forget what it is and keep automatically renewing it at the booths.I agree, Finch. At the end of those ten years all the projects still have to be maintained. Forever.

Dexters
06-11-2012, 17:02
I can't see anything to convince me it's not just more of the same, so I'm voting no.

Anyone else?

I voted against it in Cobb Co but it was an off year vote so not many people voted - it was passed.

The thing I've seen in my area it was spent on were sidewalks and I think some was spent on the Silver Comet Trail (but, I'm not sure of that).

If it is on the ballot this Nov. I'll vote against it again. And I'm hoping with the bigger turn out others will vote against it.

gwalchmai
06-11-2012, 18:07
The vote is on July 31st, statewide, Dex. The one you're referring to was a Cobb County SPLOST, I think.

Dexters
06-11-2012, 18:10
The vote is on July 31st, statewide, Dex. The one you're referring to was a Cobb County SPLOST, I think.

Since it is July 31 - it has a good chance of getting passed. The average voter doesn't vote. The construction companies & the workers get out the vote to get it passed.

I think there was a state law recently passed that these referendums be done during general elections.

Cobb correct.

ken grant
06-11-2012, 19:31
No matter if your county votes the T Tax down and most of the other counties votes it in, your county has to collect Sales Taxes in your county.

GAFinch
06-11-2012, 19:45
No matter if your county votes the T Tax down and most of the other counties votes it in, your county has to collect Sales Taxes in your county.

Crap, I didn't realize that. Most people will automatically vote yes to a roads tax bill, just like they automatically vote yes to an educational tax bill. The local E-SPLOST has been renewed by voters for 15 years now, with 70+% approval rates.

G17Jake
06-11-2012, 19:54
If you have better roads won't you get more tourism from them folks up north?

Maybe some of them will like it so much they will stay?

:supergrin:

gwalchmai
06-12-2012, 04:37
No matter if your county votes the T Tax down and most of the other counties votes it in, your county has to collect Sales Taxes in your county.Yes, it looks like the voting will be by region. I'm in the same region as ATL proper so this is probably a done deal for me. I'm still going to vote, though.

Cadcom
06-12-2012, 04:42
I'm voting No. What idiot votes for a tax increase? Especially when they state govt and dot mismanage millions of our tax dollars every year? A great example is the Ga 400 roll road. The toll was supposed to be removed once the road was paid for. Well it's been paid off for several years and guess what? It's still a till road!!

ken grant
06-12-2012, 09:54
In my county(Spalding), the T-Tax will go for a new airport larger than the one we have and is a constant drain on the TaxPayers and a larger one will be even more of a drain plus will take a large amount of property off the Tax Digest

Another will be for Commuter Rail( Atlanta to Griffin) which will be another drain of Tax Money.

Another would be better access from Sun City to the lavish shopping,fine dining in beautiful,historic downtown Griffin.