DoubleTap feeding issues? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : DoubleTap feeding issues?

Chip W
06-11-2012, 14:47
Anyone ever had issues feeding DoubleTap reliably?

A friend and I recently used up our GSSF/Armorer purchases on a 10mm each. I went with a G20sf and he a G29.
After various readings on these here Interwebz we both got aftermarket barrels to use lead bullets without issue. He got a KKM and I bought a Lone Wolf.

I'd shot my G20 with some weak Remington and some Hornady 200gr, no issues at all. That was through the stock barrel.
(I also have a Lone Wolf .40 conversion barrel and all is great with this too. So the pistol functions mechanically.)

My friend had not shot his G29 yet. Just slapped in the KKM barrel.

Yesterday we went to the range to try out some 10mm rounds he got.
1- 180gr PRVI HP
2- DoubleTap 230gr Equalizer
3- DoubleTap 230gr WFNGC Hardcast

Both pistols ate up the weak PRVI without a hitch.
The DoubleTap was a different matter entirely. Both of us experienced significant issues right away when trying to chamber rounds. The gun would not go completely into battery, it'd stop about an 1/8th" short of being fully chambered. My G20 at this point wouldn't even rack back. With a hard rap on the back of the slide it'd close and would fire no problem. All spent cases ejected once fired.
We managed to chew through 50rds of each 230gr load shared between us but it was very sporadic and we had a lot of failures.
My friend quick went and got his stock Glock barrel to try that, it chambered more reliably but still was not 100% with 1 of the DoubleTap loads.
I'll send him a link so he can chime in on his specifics but I think that about covers it.

I've read many times,"You gotta find the bullet your gun likes," but I can honestly say that until yesterday I have never experienced that issue.

Is it wrong to question the DTap or is it really conceivable that both aftermarket barrels from 2 different mfg's could be whack?

I have some 200gr Underwood on order to give that a go....hoping we fare better with that. Plus points there are that the stock barrel is fine with it and it's a butt load cheaper too!

I did like the DTap when it was cycling properly and found a hot load was not anywhere near as fearsome as Internet Folklore might have one believe. I especially liked the DTap Equalizer as it was very accurate and that 2nd hole is pretty neat......shame it wouldn't feed 100%.

Anyways, any comments questions or suggestions?

phillyd2
06-11-2012, 15:01
Seriously, with the G29 factory barrel DoubleTap 230gr Equalizer worked 7 out of 10 times without issue but the Hardcast got caught up trying to chamber every time.

Again, the 180gr PRVI HP shot perfectly through both guns and barrels.

Chip W
06-11-2012, 15:22
Limp wristing? :wavey:

Funny guy. :supergrin:

Sierra9
06-12-2012, 08:00
I've had feeding trouble with DT 230 gr. hardcast in my G29 with a KKM barrel. No trouble with the stock barrel or with the DT 200 gr. hard cast.

WeeWilly
06-12-2012, 08:58
I have a number of KKM barrels. One came with a decent amount of free bore and I have no feeding issues with lead, just like my stock Glock barrel. One KKM barrel (a 6" .45ACP) came with no freebore at all, the lands litterally stop right at the chamber. This gun will chamber lead only if the bullets are seated such that no part of the bearing surface of the bullet is sitting above the case mouth.

Take a look at your KKM barrel, if the lands come right to the chamber ledge (or very close to it), you might give them a call and ask them if they would cut it for you so you have some freebore.

I have never had a feed issue with any lead with my stock barrels.

Sierra9
06-12-2012, 10:01
I have a number of KKM barrels. One came with a decent amount of free bore and I have no feeding issues with lead, just like my stock Glock barrel. One KKM barrel (a 6" .45ACP) came with no freebore at all, the lands litterally stop right at the chamber. This gun will chamber lead only if the bullets are seated such that no part of the bearing surface of the bullet is sitting above the case mouth.

Take a look at your KKM barrel, if the lands come right to the chamber ledge (or very close to it), you might give them a call and ask them if they would cut it for you so you have some freebore.

I have never had a feed issue with any lead with my stock barrels.

Interesting thought. I looked at my KKM barrel. It's hard to measure, but I have at least 1/8th inch between chamber and lands.

Sierra9
06-12-2012, 10:10
On second thought, Willy, I don't understand how free bore would be the feeding problem with the KKM barrel, since the rounds in question get hung up on the feed ramp before ever entering the chamber.

Chip W
06-12-2012, 14:19
We (phillyd2 and I) were trying to determine if it was feed ramp issues etc but the fact they fed in leaves that out of he question. It was just that last 1/8" where it wasn't quite in battery. I had a thought last night with regards to how the rounds are sitting in there in relation to the lands.
We didn't take the barrels out and try to just drop them in to see if they sat in the chamber without any assistance (ie- like slapping the back of the slide to send 'em home). Is this an instance where OAL might come into play? Maybe forcing the hardcast bullet into the lands is what we were doing by slapping the slide back that last 1/8th"?
Freebore is what the name suggests, portion of a barrel without any lands?
I'll check my LW later on.

Edit- About 1/8", maybe a little more before the lands start in the barrel on my LW G20 barrel.

Brian Lee
06-12-2012, 16:25
I've had feeding trouble with all the 10MM DT I've ever bought. It ALL had visible bulges (bigger than on any other brand I've seen) on the cases where the bottom of the projectile is, and you can hold two rounds together up to a light and see how far from straight the sides of the cases are. And that isn't even my biggest reason for not buying any DT ammo for the last two years.

My G20 only feeds reliably with ammo that has perfectly straight sides on the outside of the cases, with no bulges, so you can't begin to tell where the bottom of the projectile is. El-Cheapo Remington UMC target loads, and all Hornady 10MM are like this, and feed well in it.

zippyhuntin
06-12-2012, 16:36
Measure the rounds that don't feed at the case mouth and see if they are out of spec (.423). I've had the same feeding problems in my KKM if I don't get the flare taken out on handloads.

Sierra9
06-12-2012, 17:52
I've had feeding trouble with all the 10MM DT I've ever bought. It ALL had visible bulges (bigger than on any other brand I've seen) on the cases where the bottom of the projectile is, and you can hold two rounds together up to a light and see how far from straight the sides of the cases are. And that isn't even my biggest reason for not buying any DT ammo for the last two years.

My G20 only feeds reliably with ammo that has perfectly straight sides on the outside of the cases, with no bulges, so you can't begin to tell where the bottom of the projectile is. El-Cheapo Remington UMC target loads, and all Hornady 10MM are like this, and feed well in it.

While I agree with those who say that DT advertized velocities are overstated, I must say that I have never had a feed problem with any DT 10mm ammo out of the stock G29 barrel. And I have shot a lot of every 10mm load they make. Never a problem with my reloads either. Is it possible your barrel is out of spec?

WeeWilly
06-12-2012, 18:48
On second thought, Willy, I don't understand how free bore would be the feeding problem with the KKM barrel, since the rounds in question get hung up on the feed ramp before ever entering the chamber.

You are correct, the freebore problem won't have anything to do with feed up until the gun is just about to go into battery, it is that spot where I have had feed problems with a KKM barrel. No freebore can mean the bullet sticks into the lands.

On the feed ramp issue (and other issues like the round sticking nose up into the chamber), I have not had these kinds of feed problems with either my KKM or stock and lead of any kind, although I have not yet loaded any extreme WFNGC bullets for my G20SF or G29SF as yet.

In general, I have always had fewer problems with my stock Glock barrels. Recently I tryed some plated SWC round for my .45's. My 1911's all had problems feeding these round, regardless of OAL, crimp, etc. My G21SF feed them all without fail (stock barrel).

PS - 1/8" of freebore should be plenty for lead. You likely only need more if you want to load the bullets particularly long for some reason. My problem KKM barrel has literally no freebore, I have a few 1911's like that as well.

Any Cal.
06-14-2012, 03:08
It is the gas check on the bullets, on the DTs it is larger than the already big bullet, and the side of the case hits the chamber walls on the tighter chambers. When this happens you can usually see a shiny ring about halfway down the case where it contacted the chamber hard if you eject it before firing. Not too much you can do about it, it happens because the checks aren't fully annealed and spring back after sizing. Use a barrel with a larger chamber, open yours up, or shoot something else.

Measure it and see, you shouldn't be bigger than .422 max.

Yondering
06-14-2012, 08:59
We (phillyd2 and I) were trying to determine if it was feed ramp issues etc but the fact they fed in leaves that out of he question. It was just that last 1/8" where it wasn't quite in battery.

This is from interference between the round and the barrel throat (freebore) or the tight chamber. Color one of the sticking rounds all over with a sharpie marker to find out where it's hanging up.

I'd place my bet on either oversized bullets or the gas check, as Any Cal. states.

Brian Lee
06-15-2012, 00:01
While I agree with those who say that DT advertized velocities are overstated, I must say that I have never had a feed problem with any DT 10mm ammo out of the stock G29 barrel. And I have shot a lot of every 10mm load they make. Never a problem with my reloads either. Is it possible your barrel is out of spec?

Nope. I got my own inside micrometers and everything. Same problem with the original Glock, Bar Sto, and LWD barrels.

"Your barrel was made wrong" is the same story they told me after they sent me a bad batch of 9x25 Dillon with improperly made cases so bad, you could roll them across the table and see the bullet wobbling out of center by about 1/64 to almost 1/32 of an Inch & more on a few. It was the neck on the brass that was made out of center, and most would not chamber at all. The first batch they gladly replaced, except they replaced it with another batch that was just as bad. Second time they told me Bar Sto makes their chambers too tight and I needed to buy a LWD barrel, and they wouldn't replace the ammo. Even though I thought it sounded like pure BS, I bought an LWD barrel I didn't need just on the outside chance their total crap story about Bar-Sto not making chambers properly might really be true. Well after measuring it, the LWD barrel is pretty much the same, and the bad ammo won't even chamber in that barrel either - with both barrels out of the gun you can't cram the rounds into the chamber - it's that bad. (I've never shot a round if it because half of them won't even chamber and I still have it all.)

They claimed when they replaced the first bad batch that they recently discovered they had been given a bad shipment of faulty 9x25 brass and used it by mistake, (I sent every round of it back to them unfired) but when they refused to replace the second bad batch of the same crap, they lost me for good. More because they bull pooped me into buying an extra barrel that was no different, than because they left me stuck with a few boxes of expensive scrap that mostly cannot be fired. That's like 200 bucks they stiffed me for, and I still have the proof in little boxes.

But remember, my original comments are about 10MM feeding issues, which have been many, and I originally wasn't going to tell the 9x25 Dillon story, except that you mentioned the idea of out-of -spec barrels, and that just happened to be the same total BS story they used about the 9x25 stuff. But I've measured ALL my 10MM barrels too, and they are all fine and feed certain other ammo a lot better than DT.

Make of it what you will.

Chip W
06-17-2012, 13:27
I got the Underwood ammo in mid week and Phillyd2 and I made it out to the range to try some today.
He also brought along a box of each of the DT rounds to try again.
With stock Glock barrels we both happily chewed through the Underwood stuff. 200gr TMJ and 200gr JHP.
We then switched to the aftermarket barrels. I do not recall exactly how Phillyd2's G29/KKM barrel fared (no issues IIRC) but my G20/LW barrel did okay. There was 1 initial round of TMJ that didn't want to load from slide lock. I always rack it back to drop the slide so it had the travel to slam a round in, not sure why it didn't. With a slap of the rear of the slide it went home and fired when I pulled the trigger. It dumped the mag of TMJ after that with no more issues and it also performed without a hitch with the JHP.
For good measure I threw an additional mag of leftover Hornady 200gr XTP out of my LW barrel without issue.

So, with the Underwood proven we switched our attentions back to the DoubleTap.
Once again the DT continued to be funky in the aftermarket barrels.
I remembered some of what ya'll had said and took out the barrels for my G20 to see how the rounds "dropped" into the chamber.
With the stock barrel the DT hardcast gas checked would not drop in without help, with a little thumb pressure it'd seat but without it they wouldn't just drop.
In the LW barrel the same rounds wouldn't seat period, they stood proud by 1/8", the exact same distance that the pistol was out of battery by last week.
It was also correct that a slight bulge could be seen about half way down the cartridge.
I have a couple of the hardcast rounds here to snap a few pics of and to measure if I can dig out a caliper.

Philly had failures to feed with the DT again and I snapped a few pics there also, when I get around to it I'll upload them if anyone is interested.

We were ready to take "out of battery" photos of my G20, had mags loaded with 5 rounds of the DT hardcast and 5 rounds of the DT JHP but every darn one chambered and fired.....nice, but not what we expected based on prior experience.

It's a shame to have run into issues and it sure would be nice to have more ammo options but at least we know the Underwood works.

Another interesting point after reading the input here. Upon comparison of the barrels it was quite surprising just how much looser the stock barrels are compared to the tighter tolerances of the KKM and LW. Gaston really did want it to work reliably.
Just a shame the polygonal rifling isn't good with lead.

Any Cal.
06-17-2012, 17:50
It is nice to find out what the problem is, it makes it easier to be more confident that the gun will work.

As far as the polygonal not working with lead, try it and see. Some loads lead badly, others run really clean. When working up reloads using the DT component bullets, I could shoot a mag full and have the stock barrel as clean or cleaner than it started out. Obviously, there are a host of variables involved, but it might not be a bad idea to shoot 1, check it, shoot a few, check it, check it after a mag, check it after 2, etc. If there is an issue, you should be able to see it.

Glad you're getting things sorted out!

dm1906
06-17-2012, 23:01
It is nice to find out what the problem is, it makes it easier to be more confident that the gun will work.

As far as the polygonal not working with lead, try it and see. Some loads lead badly, others run really clean. When working up reloads using the DT component bullets, I could shoot a mag full and have the stock barrel as clean or cleaner than it started out. Obviously, there are a host of variables involved, but it might not be a bad idea to shoot 1, check it, shoot a few, check it, check it after a mag, check it after 2, etc. If there is an issue, you should be able to see it.

Glad you're getting things sorted out!

I agree. I've heard since Glock was new, that lead bullets were bad. Tens of thousands lead bullets later, I still have yet to see a problem. I haven't heard of any issues with others, either. I've since moved onto mostly aftermarket barrels, but still shoot quite a bit of the lead slugs through the OEM barrels, of several calibers (about 200 rounds just today). If there's something wrong with it, I haven't seen it.

Chip W
06-21-2012, 17:29
Snapped a few pics...

The problematic DoubleTap rounds in question. A ridge can be seen half way down the cartridge. I have not put a caliper on it.
http://i914.photobucket.com/albums/ac348/Chipwpa/DTapHardcast.jpg

The round drops right into a stock barrel.
http://i914.photobucket.com/albums/ac348/Chipwpa/Stockbarrel.jpg

In the LW barrel it won't drop in, here's how it sits unless I push it firmly down with my thumb. It then wedges in there pretty good.
http://i914.photobucket.com/albums/ac348/Chipwpa/LWbarrel.jpg

Here's a shot of the battering my frame has taken in just over 150 assorted rounds. Pretty gnarly. Trying not to get bent about it but it looks cruddy. I swear I can see some frame rail exposed in the gouges.
http://i914.photobucket.com/albums/ac348/Chipwpa/Battering.jpg

I know there'll be a bunch of people telling me not to try one but I have a recoil buffer coming in. Might be crap but it's worth a shot for 10 bucks.
I've seen recommendations for stronger recoil springs, 20# or 22#, and may well go that route with a Wolff Calibration Kit and guide rod. I'll see how my $10 buffer fares first though.

WeeWilly
06-21-2012, 17:49
I can't tell you this for sure, but it looks like a lack of enough freebore being the KKM problem. That is the bullet hitting the lands before the case mouth hits the end of the chamber. It could be a tight chamber where the bulge from the base of the bullet is hanging things up, but I honestly doubt it. Most of my KKM barrels have a chamber similar to my Glocks, with the possible exception of a little steeper ramp, hence the better head support.

I believe KKM will throat a barrel for free, maybe send them the barrel and one of the problematic DT rounds and see if throating is the issue.

On the frame battering, my 22lb and 24lb ISMI RSA's seem to cut down greatly on the battering. I get absolutely zero frame battering with the stock RSA on my newer G29SF. Reason enough for me to have a Gen 4 G20 on my to-do list. Those new RSA's are really Boss.

Yondering
06-21-2012, 20:22
Did you try coloring the case with a marker yet to find out where it's binding? Only takes a minute, and it will tell you for sure; no need for more internet debate about what it could be.

WeeWilly
06-21-2012, 20:55
Did you try coloring the case with a marker yet to find out where it's binding? Only takes a minute, and it will tell you for sure; no need for more internet debate about what it could be.

Spoil sport. :)

Yondering
06-21-2012, 23:03
:tongueout:

agtman
06-22-2012, 05:49
Anyone ever had issues feeding DoubleTap reliably?

A friend and I recently used up our GSSF/Armorer purchases on a 10mm each. I went with a G20sf and he a G29.
After various readings on these here Interwebz we both got aftermarket barrels to use lead bullets without issue. He got a KKM and I bought a Lone Wolf.

I'd shot my G20 with some weak Remington and some Hornady 200gr, no issues at all. That was through the stock barrel.
(I also have a Lone Wolf .40 conversion barrel and all is great with this too. So the pistol functions mechanically.)

My friend had not shot his G29 yet. Just slapped in the KKM barrel.

Yesterday we went to the range to try out some 10mm rounds he got.
1- 180gr PRVI HP
2- DoubleTap 230gr Equalizer
3- DoubleTap 230gr WFNGC Hardcast

Both pistols ate up the weak PRVI without a hitch.
The DoubleTap was a different matter entirely. Both of us experienced significant issues right away when trying to chamber rounds. The gun would not go completely into battery, it'd stop about an 1/8th" short of being fully chambered. My G20 at this point wouldn't even rack back. With a hard rap on the back of the slide it'd close and would fire no problem. All spent cases ejected once fired.
We managed to chew through 50rds of each 230gr load shared between us but it was very sporadic and we had a lot of failures.
My friend quick went and got his stock Glock barrel to try that, it chambered more reliably but still was not 100% with 1 of the DoubleTap loads.
I'll send him a link so he can chime in on his specifics but I think that about covers it.

I've read many times,"You gotta find the bullet your gun likes," but I can honestly say that until yesterday I have never experienced that issue.

Is it wrong to question the DTap or is it really conceivable that both aftermarket barrels from 2 different mfg's could be whack?

I have some 200gr Underwood on order to give that a go....hoping we fare better with that. Plus points there are that the stock barrel is fine with it and it's a butt load cheaper too!

I did like the DTap when it was cycling properly and found a hot load was not anywhere near as fearsome as Internet Folklore might have one believe. I especially liked the DTap Equalizer as it was very accurate and that 2nd hole is pretty neat......shame it wouldn't feed 100%.
Anyways, any comments questions or suggestions?

Well, FWIW of my 2-cents ...

I never had ANY feeding issues with ANY make of factory ammo in the stock barrel, including DT's Equalizer. Haven't tried Mike's HC load, yet.

I did have feeding issues w/ several JHPs, and not just DT's, in a KKM barrel for my G20, which I promptly returned for a refund.

These aftermarket barrels, while marketed as problem-free "drop-ins," often aren't, unless they're fitted to YOUR gun and/or the feed-ramp is slicked-up. Usually they have very tight chambers. Some do run smoothly on the first try out of the package, others don't.

Case in point was my Bar-Sto 10mm tube for my G29. Got it to use for reloads, practice, etc., thereby saving the stock barrel for duty/EDC use. I had it fitted to the gun. For over 8 yrs now it's run w/o a hitch and is beyond something like 3500rds - factory & reloads.

I also picked up a LWD .40S&W barrel for the G29. It dropped right in and has run fine w/ all makes of .40 fodder that I've tried, which hasn't been all that many, maybe 300-400rds. Still, no problems and it's shown decent accuracy.

Don't know if that helps, but ...:dunno:

:cool:

Chip W
06-22-2012, 19:20

:whistling:
Ahh yes, this was suggested for me to try wasn't it. :)

I'll take some time tomorrow and will snap some pics of the results.

Chip W
06-23-2012, 15:56
Per the suggestions I Sharpie'd up a D'Tap round and the sticking point is pretty apparent. Wonder if Lone Wolf can do anything with this barrel for me or if I just have to stick with using other brands that I've found to work for me.

http://i914.photobucket.com/albums/ac348/Chipwpa/Untitled.jpg

Any Cal.
06-23-2012, 16:38
They will fight you over it for hours, telling you that it is the ammo's fault. It may be, you don't know until you measure them, but they will most likely tell you to send them $30.00 or something and wait a month for them to get around to it and hope they don't screw it up. You can open it up yourself safely and easily, but if you don't have any grinding compound or sandpaper around, it could cost you $10-$15 to do it yourself. Yondering explained to me how to do it, if you are interested I could try to explain, or someone else could chime in.

If you try to deal with LW, anyone you can talk to has been told to say that if it runs with factory jacketed, it is in spec, and running lead voids your warranty. If you spend enough time fighting with them, they may put you through to someone who will sympathize with you, and agree to fix it if you send it in and wait...

My LW barrel is great now that I have worked it over, but I would never reccomend one for shooting DT ammo through, since each company has rather loose tolerances that often don't play well together.

Yondering
06-23-2012, 17:44
Typical LW barrel. Tight throat, and tight chamber.

Lap the chamber with a fired case and lapping compound, and firelap the bore to open the throat and smooth the bore. All of the LW barrels I've seen needed some bore smoothing anyway.

As Any Cal says, don't bother sending it back to LW, you'll wait for at least 6 weeks and it might come back with nothing done to it, or screwed up.

dm1906
06-23-2012, 17:49
You should measure the bullet diameter between the case mouth and base of the ogive. I did some measuring and comparison with my LW and OEM barrels, and various bullets. Two examples were 180 gr. XTP, and a 210 gr. FP. The XTP diameter is .400, but tapers to .396 forward of the case mouth, seated to 1.260". The FP is .401, all the way to the ogive, extending approximately .055", and seated to 1.260" C.O.L. The FP just contacts the chamber throat about the same length as it protrudes to the ogive. It drops in, I can feel it, but it extracts easily. The XTP has no interference. The OEM Glock chamber is about a loose as a 2-bit....Well, it's pretty loose. Just a guess, but I think you'll find the DT's to be greater than .401. If not, your chamber is tighter than mine, and LW should correct it. The SAAMI spec for the throat diameter is exactly .401"/10.185mm. Out of spec means manufacturer defect.

Chip W
06-23-2012, 19:47
Turned the place upside down and found my dial caliper. It was zero'd and it's just the angle of the camera that makes it look off in the picture.
http://i914.photobucket.com/albums/ac348/Chipwpa/DSC05752.jpg

Measurements are 1,2,3 going down.
I don't know all the correct terminology so I apologize in that respect. C.O.L?

Measurement 1 is the bullet diam right where it's seats in the case. The 4th decimal was not precise on the scale but it was half way between the lines so I wrote it as so.

Measurement 2 is the OD of the case right where the bullet is seated.

Measurement 3 is the OD of the bulge half way down.

The length measurement is subjective as the lead is not straight across and I get differing values if I rotated and remeasured it.

dm1906
06-23-2012, 20:50
C.O.L. = Cartridge Overall Length

If the widest part of the bullet you can measure is .4015", then it wouldn't fit in my barrel, either. The FP's I have are exactly .401", and just fit with the slightest friction. The throat on mine is probably right at .401".

I would either use other ammo, or polish the chamber as Yondering suggested. However, I would measure a case, before and after firing, to determine if the chamber should be increased. My guess is it will be OK as it is, and the only interference problem you are seeing is with the throat.

WeeWilly
06-23-2012, 21:46
The throat is too tight for the bullet. This is very common when you are shooting lead. Many times the lead bullet starts out as .401", but when the crimp is put on, the bullet is sized slightly and some of the lead migrates up and out of the case making the bullet slightly thicker than it started out. It then jams in the throat of slightly tighter barrels.

The way I see it you have four options.

The first is to call LW and ask them to throat it so the rounds you wan to shoot chamber. From what I gather they will charge you $30 and ask you to send along a couple of your rounds as guides. There seems to be a fair amount of bad experiences regarding turn around times and results with LW.

The second is to find a local gunsmith and have him throat the barrel. If you find an experienced 1911 smith who services shooting competitors this with be an inexpensive and quick fix. If you find a smith that doesn't work on competition handguns, you will likely get a guy that runs a SAAMI spec reamer into your chamber and your barrel fresh from the smith will again fail to feed. So with this option, the key is to say "can you throat my barrel for use with lead", if you get anything resembling a puzzled look, just turn and walk out.

The third option is to throat it yourself. Based on the depth of the gouges in your bullet, unless you are feeling particularly handy and are a pretty mechanical person, I frankly would not recommend this option.

The fourth option would be to shoot the DT out of your stock barrel or if it won't feed it that barrel, not shoot that ammo.

To me I would recommend trying to find a smith that works with local practical pistol competitors, the job will be done in minutes.

Chip W
06-24-2012, 10:06
I'm not spending any more money on the Lone Wolf barrel, Underwood happily feeds through it and if I'm using that I need not even concern myself with the Lone Wolf barrel as it's all jacketed and leading isn't a concern.
If I'd done more homework I probably would have gone with Underwood in the first place and never bothered to buy an aftermarket barrel. I had just seen in various corners of the web that for a hot load D'Tap was good stuff so Phillyd2 and I went with that and the aftermarket barrels in order to shoot the lead and avoid the issues of leading we'd also read about online.
Phillyd2 bought the D'Tap to try, I believe the hardcast is the only stuff that won't chamber right even in his stock barrel, not sure how many rounds he has left of it, probably not enough to spend money to make his KKM barrel work right with it.

For me, if I want warmer loads I'll go with 200gr Underwood and on lighter days I'll run the .40 conversion to save some bucks along the way.
I dont reload ammo and the G20 isn't my EDC. It was more of a whim purchase for when I head into the woods in the fall so it just needs to function 100% with most of the brands I feed it, I'll just cross D'Tap off of the list. :supergrin:

Thanks all for your input to help me understand what was going on here.

WeeWilly
06-24-2012, 10:45
Sounds like a reasonable approach.

If you have not tried shooting that DT in your stock barrel, I would give it a try. Ironically, with Glock's admonishment against lead, guys buy aftermarket barrels to shoot lead and many of those come as so called "match" dimensions and lead feeds poorly. Glock makes their barrels to feed under adverse conditions, so lead rounds tend to feed better in them than after market units.

I have had great success shooting lead in my Glocks. You can test it carefully, shoot one, field strip and have a look. It will fine I think, then shoot a magazine, have another look, etc.

I think you will find with those Gas Checked rounds your stock barrel looks fine after a few boxes. Just a thought.

On the other hand, like you said, you have other choices.