I got a question . [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : I got a question .

dango
06-11-2012, 21:16
There's a thread going on about women and the draft , you know military ?
I was drafted in 1970 and did not want to go . War is an ugly thing and things were not the same as they are today .
How do you feel about the draft and women ?

I saw very ugly things that took me years to quit the night-mares and I was not right for a long time.

Today , the face of war has changed , it's more like a video game and not so up close and personal.

I wish someone would post and tell us how you feel , me , I can't see being killed to make some rich bastard richer.

Wolven
06-11-2012, 22:49
Really your post is almost two questions/comments...do I think women should be drafted and then your comment on war itself. As far as women and the draft, I am probably NOT in the norm...but what is good for the goose is good for the gander. I personally cannot expect anyone else to do for me what I would not do for myself or for others. But that is ME...after having served time in both the military and in a male dominated civilian job.

As far as the war goes, that is another question in itself, now isnt it? :D

(havent been here in ages, usually lurk and not post...and way to jump back in the fire haha)

LiebeGlock
06-16-2012, 04:47
I think women should NOT be drafted for the military. Even though I am for women's rights, it should be a choice to them whether or not they want to be a part of the military due to our "special needs."

As for the war, I know many people in all of the branches of service. And it isn't like a video game. It is still very much real. What is the sad part is they are putting their lives at risk for a cause they don't really believe in. IMO, the reasons are corrupted and are full of B.S.

Why do people still join and fight for a causwe they don't believe in? Some may do it for hope that it will change or some may do it because they haven't seen for themselves yet that the new military isn't like the old military. To each person, they have their own reasons.

Ford302Glock21
06-16-2012, 05:08
Always many argueable sides to stuff like this. Honestly, when is a draft ok for anyone? I think that makes a big difference. WW2 seems like the place that would make more sense but not 100% . When you start talking about vietnam, why should any american have been drafted? I appreciate what those americans did, don't get me wrong, but I don't see why they were taken from many different walks of life and forced to go face a possible horrible death. The school system does not even teach you american history properly let alone anything about some god forsaken wilderness across the globe. What young person deserved that?

It was not until after I had already graduated from college that I began to understand anything about american history. I had little appreciation for how many people were lost. I have a great respect for those soldiers, marines etc... that fight to keep their fellow americans alive regardless of the screwed up situation or location. The government is the one responsible for sending them into harms way and they don't have a choice but to follow. Good thing the president can relate to the soldiers so well with his background. I mean that mcain guy wouldn't have had a clue....

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

DustyJacket
06-16-2012, 05:30
I think women should NOT be drafted for the military. Even though I am for women's rights, it should be a choice to them whether or not they want to be a part of the military due to our "special needs."

Not sure which special needs you are referring to, but there are a lot of combat service spport jobs (finance, recordkeeping, supply, etc) that keep a person far way from combat or the rigors of the field.

Equal rights should involve equal responsibility. Don't you think?

I am not a big fan of the draft, unless someone was attacking America itself, but if the draft men, they should draft women.

(I am just a guy that has served alonside women in the Army and in Police agencies.)

NEOH212
06-17-2012, 14:50
I'd answer the call. Gimmie a rifle and show me the enemy!

:wavey:

Liebestraum
06-18-2012, 05:36
If I recall correctly, there was some legislation some time ago that would have essentially given woman total and complete equal rights, but it failed to pass state approval solely based on that fact that women would have been included in the draft.

The draft is unnecessary any more in today's environment. There are currently more people who want to volunteer to join than the services can take. Women can serve just as well in almost any role and can certainly be useful. It should be a both or nothing thing, and it really should be a nothing thing.

TXMary
06-24-2012, 22:42
Do I think women should be drafted--NO
Do I think anyone should be drafted--Not unless we cannot continue to have enough volunteers.

BUT--here is the contradiction--I AM a veteran! I enlisted in the Navy in '73--was a corpsman stationed on a MC base