He got turned down. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : He got turned down.

okie
06-12-2012, 07:10
A coworker told me a while back he had applied for a CHL, I said good for you dude, that's awesome. Sunday I asked him if he had gotten hid CHL yet, and he said he had been denied. I said that sucks man, I'm sorry to hear that, he said the letter said he was denied because he had gotten a DUI in 78, he said you make one mistake when you're young and dumb and it follows you the rest of your life. Somehow the conversation turned to guns and booze, and I said those two do not mix at all. He then told me "yes they do, I love to get drunk and shoot". This guy lives in the country and shoots on his own land, I don't know how close his nearest neighbor is, but thank goodness he don't go to public places to shoot. I feel very much safer knowing this idiot didn't get a CHL:alex::upeyes:

JAS104
06-12-2012, 07:13
Good lord. Alcohol and Guns never go well.
If I'm going out for a night drinking with my buddies, which is rare, I'll leave my gun at home unless I'm the DD.

JAS104
06-12-2012, 07:14
But I'm glad he didn't get it. Sounds to me like he might have a drinking problem. GO INTERVENTION OKIE GO GO :rofl:

tantrix
06-12-2012, 07:19
I don't mind people who shoot on their own property to have a few beers while plinking, but getting "drunk" leads me to believe this guy probably has lead flying places it shouldn't. Me and some buddies usually drink a few while shooting here at my range at least once a month. A few beers, stop drinking, finish shooting, then put guns away and finish drinking whatever we're going to drink. Key words there are "stop drinking" until done shooting.

On the other hand, carrying and drinking is an entirely different animal...not only can you get your permit revoked, but it opens up a huge liability on your part if you should happen to shoot anyone with alcohol in your system.

ray9898
06-12-2012, 07:21
Does OK disqualify people for something as simple as a DUI 30+ years ago? I really find that hard to believe without seeing the letter.

Kind of like most sex offenders tell everyone they got in trouble because the parents of their HS girlfriend didn't like them. People minimize things.

eruby
06-12-2012, 07:27
I had DUI in Florida in the early 90s. Florida saw fit to give me a Non-Resident permit back in 2006.

Either the OP's state is very strict, or there is more to the story.

okie
06-12-2012, 07:42
Does OK disqualify people for something as simple as a DUI 30+ years ago? I really find that hard to believe without seeing the letter.

Kind of like most sex offenders tell everyone they got in trouble because the parents of their HS girlfriend didn't like them. People minimize things.

I didn't see the letter, but that's what he told me:supergrin:

Singlemalt
06-12-2012, 07:51
I had DUI in Florida in the early 90s. Florida saw fit to give me a Non-Resident permit back in 2006.

Either the OP's state is very strict, or there is more to the story.

This ^^

All Pro Sports Hero
06-12-2012, 07:56
A friend of mine in NC said that her state requires that a CCW applicant not have had a DWI conviction within the past 3 years.

'78? Wow.

ray9898
06-12-2012, 07:59
I didn't see the letter, but that's what he told me:supergrin:

Hmmm....Okie I think he is pulling your leg!

I looked up the state law, for DUI it requires two convictions and it only precludes for 3 years from last conviction.

1290.11 (Other Preclusions)

7. Two or more misdemeanor convictions relating to intoxication or driving under the influence of an intoxicating substance or alcohol. The preclusive period shall be three (3) years from the date of the completion of the last sentence or shall require a certified statement from a licensed physician stating that the person is not in need of substance abuse treatment;

Spiffums
06-12-2012, 08:05
Getting blind drunk gives me a good excuse for my poor marksmanship ............:lol:

kiole
06-12-2012, 08:10
Ya I highly doubt a single DUI convictions would disqualify you for a CCW... Unless that one conviction was a felony because he injured someone...

jpa
06-12-2012, 08:18
Getting blind drunk gives me a good excuse for my poor marksmanship ............:lol:

LOL...if you don't drink, where do you get bottles to shoot at? :rofl:

FL Airedale
06-12-2012, 08:24

As they should!

Now if you were CONVICTED of a violent crime, you should be denied a CHL.

For non-violent misdemeanors, I see no reason to deny a CHL.

Little Joe
06-12-2012, 09:21
A lot of applications will ask you if you have ever been arrested or had a DUI. If you say no, you just lied, and that can get you denied. No matter how long ago it was say yes and explain that it was a long time ago and you learned your lesson. Failing to disclose seems to indicate a character issue.

JAS104
06-12-2012, 10:56
I don't mind people who shoot on their own property to have a few beers while plinking, but getting "drunk" leads me to believe this guy probably has lead flying places it shouldn't. Me and some buddies usually drink a few while shooting here at my range at least once a month. A few beers, stop drinking, finish shooting, then put guns away and finish drinking whatever we're going to drink. Key words there are "stop drinking" until done shooting.

On the other hand, carrying and drinking is an entirely different animal...not only can you get your permit revoked, but it opens up a huge liability on your part if you should happen to shoot anyone with alcohol in your system.

Well spoken. I afree with this statement. I guess living in a city in the north I haven't really been given the option to have a beer while shooting. Unless you count a beer in a tree stand during buck season.

TBO
06-12-2012, 11:07
<------bets the guy doesn't have a valid DL.

JAS104
06-12-2012, 11:19

TBO's right lol

4 glocks
06-12-2012, 11:58
In NC you can not have a DUI for 5 or 10 years. Not sure about the time but a DUI 35 years ago sounds like BS.
Drinking a beer on your own land is one thing, but shooting when drunk is another.

okie
06-13-2012, 06:52
Hmmm....Okie I think he is pulling your leg!

I looked up the state law, for DUI it requires two convictions and it only precludes for 3 years from last conviction.

Something is up for sure then. I wonder what it is? No matter what it is though with his attitude on drinking and shooting I think it's for the best he got turned down:phew:

TBO
06-13-2012, 07:05
Go down to the DMV, pay a small fee and get a copy of his DL.
Bet you pay for more than one page...

wjv
06-13-2012, 10:10
Whether he's being honest or not, either way it sounds like not giving him a CCW was a good idea.

It sort of brings up the question as to if he can even legally own a gun?

jlpskydive
06-13-2012, 10:48
In NC you can not have a DUI for 5 or 10 years. Not sure about the time but a DUI 35 years ago sounds like BS.
Drinking a beer on your own land is one thing, but shooting when drunk is another.

It's three years, it's a a question on the application (i just renewed mine this week)

ca survivor
06-14-2012, 07:02

Right, there is something else he is not telling.

686Owner
06-14-2012, 07:07
Sorry, I don't think that guns and booze mix either. There are plenty of other times to drink, and I don't think that it needs to be done while operating a deadly weapon....car or gun.

okie
06-14-2012, 08:16
Sorry, I don't think that guns and booze mix either. There are plenty of other times to drink, and I don't think that it needs to be done while operating a deadly weapon....car or gun.

You are right as rain my friend:thumbsup:

4 glocks
06-14-2012, 08:59
It's three years, it's a a question on the application (i just renewed mine this week)

Thanks sound right.

M&P Shooter
06-14-2012, 09:11
Okie did you guys go shooting for beers:whistling:

okie
06-14-2012, 13:30
Okie did you guys go shooting for beers:whistling:

Nope we didn't, I have never been to his house and now I never will:shocked::faint: