Walther P22, does it still suck? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Walther P22, does it still suck?

Bilbo Bagins
06-12-2012, 07:47
I'm noticing the NIB Walther P22 at a local gunshops getting cheaper and cheaper. Is this because of the influx of new .22 pistols from other companies? Is it because S&W/Walther never improved on the design?

Are the one on the shelves now , as bad as the one that had problems back in the day.

Anyone still have a Walther P22, with a lot of use and rounds downrange, or have they all been traded away.

jellis11
06-12-2012, 08:20
I still have mine. Had it for about four of five years. I like it. I've had some problems sometimes but if I buy quality high velocity ammo it works well. It's not a self defense weapon so I put up with it.

lol if I knew they were going to keep getting cheaper I would have waited to buy it!

shadowman024
06-12-2012, 17:45
I have one thats 4 years old bought it used, ive put 13,000 rounds threw it no problems
It doesn't like the bulk stuff 100% but cci mini mags function perfect. I deal with the failures its a range toy. Ill keep it till it blow's up.

USMC03Grunt
06-12-2012, 18:11
Recently I was in the market for a small DA .22 pistol for a trainer for my son when I get him this summer. I had seriously considered a P22 and was on the verge of getting one. What was holding me back was the number of reports about beig ammo picky, slide breakage, and a P22 Bible of things that needed to be checked and/or modified for better function. Now some of this may be overblown and some people report excellent results with their P22. Personally though I felt that there were too many bad reports on it and opted for a Ruger SR22 instead. It is a similar size, I believe the alunimum slide is a better material than the P22's mystery-metal construction and Ruger would provide better service in the event of any problems. I have taken it out for test firing and even with cheap bulk ammo, it has never had a problem and the accuracy isn't bad for what it is. There have been reports of breakage on the slide retention lever but I believe that this is an easier fix (should it ever happen) than replacing a slide and if I was Ruger, I would consider changing this plastic part out for a metal one but that has been the only negative reports I've been hearing about it. My dealer also did have a P22 in stock for a similar price but I was just more comfortable in going for the SR22 instead. Now if my experience with coming to a decision on which gun to buy is a common one and the decisions are more often than not the same, yes, I would say that the P22 will continue to drop in price if other guns like the SR22 keeps taking bites out of that segment of the market.

shadowman024
06-12-2012, 19:00
the only thing i hate about my p22 is the rear sight seems to move quite annoying

katana8869
06-12-2012, 19:59
Bought one for my wife 3 years ago. Together we have put thousands of rounds through it (all brands) and it runs like a top. My SR22 that I bought a few months ago for me fails to feed from the magazine 3-4 times every time I take it out... I am planning on sending it back to Ruger and then possibly selling it off and keeping the Walther.

dissthis
06-12-2012, 20:12
Got one for my son to shoot (8 at the time); doesn't cycle very well...ammo was cheap from Wal-Mart..
Guy warned me at time of purchase...but like above it's not for SD so we deal with it...

Maybe better ammo would help

Peter_72
06-12-2012, 20:16
I bought a new P22 last month and it has been great, IMO it shoots just as good as the SR22. I have read a lot of complaints about them in the past but I see no signs of unusual slide wear and it handles the cheap ammo as well as my GSG 1911 and the sr22.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb250/Smaxxin/WaltherP22.jpg
http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb250/Smaxxin/WaltherP22q.jpg

shadowman024
06-12-2012, 20:22
cci mini mags always work if you're having trouble, but there more expensive than bulk, winchester wildcat works good in mine which is bulk .22

glockrex
06-12-2012, 21:22
I've shot several different p22s over the years from different friends, people at the range etc... Never shot one that actually worked reliably. I let those same walther p22 owners shoot my old ruger mark II and they seem shocked that a .22 can function so reliably!

You could buy more expensive minimags to get your p22 running, but doesn't that defeat the purpose of buying a .22? My ruger will reliably feed the cheapest crap I can put in it! Plus with my ultimate clip loader, I can shoot till the cows come home. :supergrin:

FLIPPER 348
06-12-2012, 21:37
I have two both from a few years back, $229/ea. They are both flawless with high quality ammo with well over 5000 rounds through each of them. I'm hoping the SR-22 in my future is as reliable and fun.

jellis11
06-12-2012, 21:54
Peter_72 --- Great pic! I have an OD 22 and you have inspired me to take a picture tomorrow. Beautiful little guns!

Foxtrotx1
06-13-2012, 01:50
My issue is the construction being a zinc alloy.

bac1023
06-13-2012, 04:12
Its still pot metal junk, in my opinion.

Mine works well with hot ammo only.

bac1023
06-13-2012, 04:13
My issue is the construction being a zinc alloy.

Yep, pot metal.

FFR Spyder GT
06-13-2012, 13:13
I've had one since 2006 and have fired +5,000rds through mine without a single hiccup except for a dud round.

I've fired all types of bulk ammo, 50rd box stuff, 60gr SSS load etc.

I give mine two thumbs up.

Plus it's a great training pistol for a kid because of the small grip size.

bac1023
06-14-2012, 06:50
I'm noticing the NIB Walther P22 at a local gunshops getting cheaper and cheaper. Is this because of the influx of new .22 pistols from other companies? Is it because S&W/Walther never improved on the design?

You do know Smith and Wesson and/or Walther don't built the P22, right?

H&K 4 LIFE
06-14-2012, 07:43
...Anyone still have a Walther P22, with a lot of use and rounds downrange, or have they all been traded away.

My P22 has never sucked. :supergrin:

I've owned mine for about 5 years and in that time have put a countless amount of rounds through it. Mine is not ammunition sensitive and eats everything I put into it, including any Walmart bulk pack stuff.

The inside of the slide looks as if a robot were chewing on it, but the fact remains, the pistol still keeps working. If it does ever break, I am fully confident S&W will repair it under warranty. So I am really not worried.

Dave.1
06-14-2012, 09:53
I got my P22 in '09 and have never had a problem, although I know others have. Luck of the draw, just like many pistols?

I did look at the P22 Bible but never did any of the mods suggested, just wanted to learn about the pistol. What I do is every year I take the two roll pins out of the frame and spray the innards down with a solvent (I use M-Pro 7) blow it dry and spray with Rem Oil.

I stopped counting rounds at 12K.

Dave

Clusterfrack
06-14-2012, 09:56
I don't like guns with pot metal slides. I prefer my Ruger Mark III, and will probably pick up a .22 Glock conversion.

Dave.1
06-14-2012, 10:23
I agree that you can't beat a Ruger.

I had a Mark II but I just wanted something that was closer to the feel of a pistol with a decocking safety for training.

If mine had cracked after a few K rounds I probably wouldn't think much of the pot metal slide either but since it still works I'm fine with it.

Dave

bac1023
06-17-2012, 22:39
I don't like guns with pot metal slides. I prefer my Ruger Mark III, and will probably pick up a .22 Glock conversion.

The Ruger Mark III is one of my favorite rimfires of all time.

Shadyscott69
06-18-2012, 10:06
I have had mine for about 5 years. Many bricks of ammo. No problems. After the first couple thousand with Stingers, it runs the cheapest crap now.

sdsnet
06-27-2012, 20:13
I still have mine after 3 years. As Bac stated it is not reliable without hotter ammo like CCI and Hornady. The Federal bulk doesn't cycle well.

With all the new 1911's in 22LR I am leaning towards one of those once an affordable leader with quality develops.

cowboywannabe
07-07-2012, 00:44
i got one for my daughter after shooting the snot out of one a co-worker has.....im not keen on the zinc alloy slide like the davis, jennings, lorcin etc have....but neither my daughter's or my co-workers has malfunctioned in several thousands of rounds so far.

used cci stinger, rem. yellowjacket and vipers, and win super X bulk pack.

ca survivor
07-07-2012, 15:53
I have seen one that 1" of the slide front went fling it was a rental gun though.

hillbillyhans
07-07-2012, 19:01
I picked up 2 of them today. I had one before, that never malfunctioned, but I sold it to purchase a Ruger mark III. After I cleaned the mark III, I sold it. What a PIA to take apart. I got a desert tan p22 and an OD green p22 this afternoon. Shot about 200 winchester "555" rnds out of it, and had 3 ftf's. Not surprised! For $25, I purchased the crappiest ammo I've ever seen. I will never buy whinchester garbage again. I wish Wolf made .22 ammo, it would be cleaner, better made than the crap I bought today!

CDR_Glock
07-07-2012, 20:26
I don't think that the P22 sucks. It fires different ammo that I have loaded. It's a fun gun to shoot. However, I have a Glock Advantage Arms Conversion, Sig P220 conversion, and a Ruger Mark II Target Competition that have higher priorities in trigger time. The P22 is solid and handles very well. For the money it's a good value. My only qualm is the mag release.

Foxtrotx1
07-11-2012, 18:21
For people who like their guns to be made from quality materials, look elsewhere. That being said, i'm sure they work ok if you can ignore the known issues and POS materials.

NailShooter
08-10-2012, 15:36
For people who like their guns to be made from quality materials, look elsewhere. That being said, i'm sure they work ok if you can ignore the known issues and POS materials.

Foxtrot pretty much answers the question. If the slides are still zinc die castings, then yes, it's still junk.

Nail

PCnotPC
08-10-2012, 17:17
You do know Smith and Wesson and/or Walther don't built the P22, right?

Not made by Walther? Could have fooled me! They even make the Colt 22s these days.

shadowman024
08-10-2012, 20:39
i have just over 13k threw mine and i bought mine used well worth the 300 i paid for mine ill buy another one but my girl wants a 22lr revolver

TxGun
08-11-2012, 01:57
Not made by Walther? Could have fooled me! They even make the Colt 22s these days.

These guys actually build the Colt M4 .22:

http://www.umarexarms.com/

It's a little complicated (I think intentionally so). Umarex bought Walther in the early 90s. Umarex primarily builds airsoft guns. They also apparently have at least a hand in designing/building some Walther models (P22, PK380) while other Walther models are more traditionally Walther (P99, PPS, PPQ), or licensed out to S&W (PPK, PPK/S). They seem to purposefully keep some of these relationships a little fuzzy.

porschedog
08-11-2012, 07:30
It seems that those of us who actually own these guns like them and those that do not consider them junk

LA_357SIG
08-18-2012, 08:59
I bought one back in '05 and it works. It worked then and it still works now. I can't recall many malfunctions and all I shot through it was Remington Golden Bullet. I still have it today and shoot it suppressed. Slide hasn't cracked and all springs are original. I estimate it being around 7-8k rounds shot.

Travclem
08-19-2012, 07:56
I own one and it is an ok little gun for the $150 I paid for it. It's not as well made as my Rugers or Brownings, but it's a fun little gun to suppress.

FLIPPER 348
08-19-2012, 08:02
Foxtrot pretty much answers the question. If the slides are still zinc die castings, then yes, it's still junk.

Nail

We happily put a few 100 rounds thru our 'junk' P22s yesterday.

Cadcom
08-19-2012, 21:42
We happily put a few 100 rounds thru our 'junk' P22s yesterday.

Yep - my runs great and perfect size for my kids to shoot.

Milhouse58421
08-24-2012, 19:31
It seems that those of us who actually own these guns like them and those that do not consider them junk
This^^^

Some people cannot get over the fact that just because they don't own (insert whatever), it is then "junk". I have one (P22) and really like it. There are several guns out there that I do not own (sarcasm-for the slow witted), and even though I don't own them, I do not consider them junk......

paperairplane
08-30-2012, 21:16
I have had mine for about 5 years. Goes to the range every time regardless of what else I am shooting. My only complaint is spare mags are pricey and no hi-cap mags.

I started shooting CCI mini mags for first 500 rds. Then fluff and buff feed ramp a little. Then shot golden bullets next 1000 rounds. After that it shot anything I put in it... federal bulk, winchester bulk, old, new, thunderbolt. I never have FTE's.

It is the most fun gun I own (after my G19, of course) - I do mag dumps all the time. After the first 3,500 rounds I quit counting. I spray it out and hit it with bore snake once in a while - no anal cleaning. Runs like a top.

JuneyBooney
08-31-2012, 12:13

Are the one on the shelves now , as bad as the one that had problems back in the day.

Anyone still have a Walther P22, with a lot of use and rounds downrange, or have they all been traded away.

I have had a couple of them and some are good and some are bad. It is the same with most auto pistols. You will have good ones and then others will be total pos.