KKM Barrel for G19 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : KKM Barrel for G19

Gbannan
06-12-2012, 18:55
Is a KKM barrel for my g19 really worth it? I feel the gun is way more accurate than i'll ever be even with a upgraded barrel. Thoughts?

GlocK_W0rK
06-12-2012, 19:00
Only the best shooters will be able to take advantage of an aftermarket barrel. If you've built up the skill to do so, you're probably better off getting a fitted barrel rather than drop-in as well. Unless you're reloading, or want to shoot lead, I don't see a point in getting an aftermarket barrel.

Gbannan
06-12-2012, 19:03
Only the best shooters will be able to take advantage of an aftermarket barrel. If you've built up the skill to do so, you're probably better off getting a fitted barrel rather than drop-in as well. Unless you're reloading, or want to shoot lead, I don't see a point in getting an aftermarket barrel.

Planning on reloading eventually but couldn't i reload brass from the stock barrel? Correct me if i'm wrong.

GlocK_W0rK
06-12-2012, 19:08
^

I don't reload, so I'm not sure. I know that the OEM barrel cause the brass to expand pretty bad; not sure if that affects the ability to reload though. Also, on an OEM barrel, if the reloads are too hot, watch out.

Gbannan
06-12-2012, 19:15
^

I don't reload, so I'm not sure. I know that the OEM barrel cause the brass to expand pretty bad; not sure if that affects the ability to reload though. Also, on an OEM barrel, if the reloads are too hot, watch out.

The brass i've saved from my stock g19 barrel seems to have no buldges, however there is obvious buldges on my g20 brass that i've seen. Again, school me..

G20 brass was warm underwood..

tango44
06-12-2012, 20:58
No needs for it, get ammo and more training!

mikedelger@yahoo.com
06-12-2012, 21:10
reloading brass fired from a glock. have had no problems with brass from 19,21 or 30

larson1122
06-12-2012, 21:11
Is a KKM barrel for my g19 really worth it? I feel the gun is way more accurate than i'll ever be even with a upgraded barrel. Thoughts?

I see no purpose for one unless you plan to shoot lead bullets.

G19 driver
06-12-2012, 21:28
I put a KKM in my G19C. I did it just to have a non ported barrel. I don't care what anyone says but the accuracy is better with the KKM barrel. I really did not care just as long as the accuracy was not worse with the KKM. So the better accuracy was a bonus that I was not really expecting. It want make a bad shooter a better shooter though.

sourdough44
06-12-2012, 23:51
I wouldn't get a new barrel unless you planned to shoot a lot of lead, or were going for a 'conversion' with a 40 cal Glock. I have a KKM conversion barrel for my Glock 23, which works just fine.

21o'glock
06-13-2012, 00:35
I bought a KKM barrel for my G21 Gen4, not for the reason of improving accuracy but for the ability to shoot hard cast reloads. I cast bullets and reload so I can shoot a lot. At defense / combat distances, the stock Glock barrel is accurate. Also accurate at longer distances. Check out Hickok45 on youtube where he rings the gong at 240 yards with any Glock he shoots, whether 3.5 inch or 4.6 inch barrel. The reason I went with KKM was research showed that the KKM was a finer quality on fit, finish and reliability than the Lonewolf barrel. Lonewolf goes for approx. $100.00 and I paid $165.00 + $10.00 shipping for the KKM but the quality of the KKM is superb. It dropped right in and I ran 75 rounds of various factory round nose, JHP, and 200 gr. hard cast SWC's through it both slow and rapid follow up shots and not one problem. Most of my work world was a close tolerance and high precision world and KKM is right in line with that. My experience has been that cheap price usually cost more and too expensive is not always the best. My opinion is that KKM is the best drop in barrel and the price is very reasonable for the quality you get. If your not going to shoot hardcast / lead, reconsider spending money on any replacement barrel and put that money towards ammo and training for your stock Glock barrel. If your looking to knock down bowling pins at 100 yards hand held, than get a S&W K-22 Masterpiece because that's what I used to do with mine. You have to keep in mind that a $500.00 to $6oo.00 Glock is a great all around gun with great proven reputation. If your looking for a 1000 yd. sniper handgun, it's gonna cost a little bit more.
Happy shooting,
21o'glock

Gbannan
06-13-2012, 06:05
Sold on ebay last night for like 150. Glad I got outbid...

DannyR
06-13-2012, 06:17
My 1996 Gen2 G19 has 83,000+ rounds fired, mostly my reloads. It is still more accurate than I.

Bello
06-13-2012, 06:45
Kkm sucks I have nothing but problems with them and they are overpriced seriously in all honesty get a lonewolf

JBP55
06-13-2012, 16:36
I have owned at least 6 KKM barrels and they worked great. I would buy KKM again if I needed a non OEM barrel.

biker1958
06-30-2012, 22:21
Just got my KKM barrel for my 34, won't quite fit right in the top of the slide, seems a hair too big, anybody had problems with this, I'm sure they'll fix the problem.

Thanks

I bought a KKM barrel for my G21 Gen4, not for the reason of improving accuracy but for the ability to shoot hard cast reloads. I cast bullets and reload so I can shoot a lot. At defense / combat distances, the stock Glock barrel is accurate. Also accurate at longer distances. Check out Hickok45 on youtube where he rings the gong at 240 yards with any Glock he shoots, whether 3.5 inch or 4.6 inch barrel. The reason I went with KKM was research showed that the KKM was a finer quality on fit, finish and reliability than the Lonewolf barrel. Lonewolf goes for approx. $100.00 and I paid $165.00 + $10.00 shipping for the KKM but the quality of the KKM is superb. It dropped right in and I ran 75 rounds of various factory round nose, JHP, and 200 gr. hard cast SWC's through it both slow and rapid follow up shots and not one problem. Most of my work world was a close tolerance and high precision world and KKM is right in line with that. My experience has been that cheap price usually cost more and too expensive is not always the best. My opinion is that KKM is the best drop in barrel and the price is very reasonable for the quality you get. If your not going to shoot hardcast / lead, reconsider spending money on any replacement barrel and put that money towards ammo and training for your stock Glock barrel. If your looking to knock down bowling pins at 100 yards hand held, than get a S&W K-22 Masterpiece because that's what I used to do with mine. You have to keep in mind that a $500.00 to $6oo.00 Glock is a great all around gun with great proven reputation. If your looking for a 1000 yd. sniper handgun, it's gonna cost a little bit more.
Happy shooting,
21o'glock

Poohgyrr
07-01-2012, 01:44
FWIW, Glockmeister posted a letter from KKM stating they have stopped supplying barrels to retail venders, due to ongoing orders from Gov't etc...

SouthpawG26
07-01-2012, 05:27
Like a few posters above, i have found no problems with reloads and lead through OEM 9mm barrels. I have a 26 and a 17 both pushing 75000+rounds of lead round nose.

The .40 however, are a different story. Our club's IPSC Standard shooting team (Standard=USPSA Limited, with shorter mag extensions) has 15 G35/22, each one running an aftermarket barrel (mostly LWD) with better case support for reloads, both lead and FMJ.

But: I have yet to come across a notable, measurable and consistent accuracy increase from a drop in aftermarket barrel on a Glock...if better accuracy is your (only) goal, keep your money.

ithaca_deerslayer
07-01-2012, 23:15
I can't see it changing accuracy for the better, unless you are really good. A lot better than me good. And if you are, then you would only laugh at my words anyway :)

SouthpawG26
07-02-2012, 09:04
There are so many areas with large amounts of free play on the Glock's design that just improving the barrel to slide lock up, isnt going to make night and day difference in accuracy, in my experience.

Which is not to say that stock Glocks arent accurate.

With enough practice, sub 3" groups at 25yards can be shot all day, and thats with the subcompacts.

biker1958
09-04-2012, 12:43

I installed one on my Glock 34, I feel that it's more accurate than the stock barrel.

judgecrater
10-08-2012, 22:05
I installed one on my Glock 34, I feel that it's more accurate than the stock barrel.
I put a KKM in my G17 and cut groups in half.

TxGlock9
10-08-2012, 22:41
You the money saved on not buying an aftermarket barrel for ammo and practice grip/trigger control and sights..

Yankee2718
10-08-2012, 23:20
Are the aftermarket barrels really necessary to shoot lead? I've read about guys shooting lead no problem through stock barrels.

TxGlock9
10-08-2012, 23:45
Only thing necessary after shooting lead rounds through a stock barrel is cleaning.. Glock advises against it is because the combination of fouling from lead and the polygonal rifling will generate higher pressure behind the projectile which can cause catastrophic failure.

jbglock
10-09-2012, 07:30
I used to use a lot of lead reloads in my 2nd gen 23 and later converted 23C. I'd typically go 400+ rounds per range session with sessions up to 4 days per week. the only problem I had with the stock barrel was the increased amount of cleaning (scrubbing) that was required with lead bullets.

I don't know about the .40 KKM barrels but the 40-9mm conversion I have in my current gen3 23C in extremely accurate. I am more accurate with it than my friends gen4 19. I agree with others though that most shooters can't take advantage of that extra accuracy as the Glock is already more accurate than they are.

Yankee2718
10-09-2012, 07:39
So if I just use bore cleaner and scrub the bore I'll be fine shooting lead down the tube?

jbglock
10-09-2012, 07:44
So if I just use bore cleaner and scrub the bore I'll be fine shooting lead down the tube?

Yes. I never used anything fancy. Just Hoppes 9 and a bronze bore brush. Not shooting lead I can get a barrel clean with the plastic bristle brush that comes with the Glock. This is with a 40 cal Glock. Never had a problem sizing my cases afterwards and I was very careful anyway with my reloads. I'd discard them well before the point they had to be trimmed. If you are using a different caliber I'd ask someone with experience with it and reloading it specifically. I also don't use any reloads other than my own.

Yankee2718
10-09-2012, 07:46
I'd use 9mm. That puny worthless, good for nothing cartridge.

theSteve
10-09-2012, 09:57
My stock gen4 27 shot high and to the right at close to medium distance ranges. I put a KKM barrel in it hoping that it would make it a straight shooter, and darn has it done just that. I get a kick out of how accurate it is now every time I shoot it. I enjoy shooting it more than I do my gen4 21 or sig.

icelandicstud
10-09-2012, 12:54
Glock 19 Factory Barrel vs KKM vs Lone Wolf Barrel - YouTube

SJ 40
10-09-2012, 16:22
So if I just use bore cleaner and scrub the bore I'll be fine shooting lead down the tube?Yankee
I have lost count of how many thousands of rounds I have put down range through my Glock factory barrels in 9 mm and 40 S&W over the years.
The cast bullets I use range in Brinell hardness number BHN from 15 to 18,typically called commercial hard cast alloy.

http://www.lasc.us/CastBulletAlloy.htm

A site dedicated to cast bullets and great resource for shooters and casters.

One thing that I will expand on is it's important to thoroughly clean your barrel between uses of jacketed/plated ammunition and cast/lead bullets and vise versa.
Lead tends to build up more quickly on copper fouling in the bore if not thoroughly cleaned.

Cleaning of a OEM Glock barrel I find to be more easy than conventional rifled barrels. The hammer forged barrels finish is mirror bright and smooth,which tends not to build up lead as much.
When I go to the range I always have a bore snake in my bag,if you were to feel the need to run it through ones barrel after what ever number of rounds it allows easy brushing at any point.

I usually unless it's a quick range visit take a minimum of 300 rounds to the range with me,another plus for cast bullet loads allows one to shoot more.
I don't bother cleaning at the range because my loads don't lead and as a result I don't worry and clean up is quick and easy when I get to it.

One other word of advise is load safe and sane, when I load 9 mm I don't try to get 357 Sig Velocities from my loads.
Same for 40 S&W I don't try to make a 10 mm's out of them.

I haven't ever seen the need for a after market barrel to shoot cast bullet loads out of my Glocks.
That said I will not say that if thats what one wants to do to feel better about it then they should. SJ 40

samuse
10-09-2012, 19:25
My 1996 Gen2 G19 has 83,000+ rounds fired, mostly my reloads. It is still more accurate than I.

Maybe you just need a little more practice. :tongueout:

seaswol
10-10-2012, 14:23
I have KKM barrels in 10mm, 45ACP and 40 - 9mm conversion. Bench rested the factory Glocks and then tested with the aftermarket barrels. A very noticeable improvement. Then did the same test offhand. Then, a noticeable improvement. So I'm very glad to have the improvement in accuracy with my 10mm LS. Naturally, a conversion barrel is an aftermarket, so get what you feel is the best. I probably do not need the 45ACP aftermarket barrel. According to one reply, seems like the KKM hold their value well.
CHris

kashdaddy
10-10-2012, 15:36
KKM is the best bang for the bucks. with a KKM, a good trigger and a MGSL, you can shrink your group sizes in half at 15yds to 25 yds. do a search and see my review with pictures.

RWBlue
10-10-2012, 16:07
I have a KKM for my G21 SBR with scope, bench rested 100 yards.

The groups change more by changing ammo than from changing the barrels. Some ammo shoots better in one barrel vs. the other.

If you are shooting lead, get the after market barrel. It is just good insurance. This is not to say I have not shot lead in my Glock and survived.

If you are going to use a suppressor....KKM all the way.

If you like to reload hot to OMG VERY HOT like have, then get the after market barrel with the best support possible.

The company was very good when I talked to them. I assume if I had an issue they would have made it right.

Beyond that.....I don't plan on buying after market barrels for the rest of the glock stable.