I just got my 30sf repaired back from Smyrna. Trigger bar info! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : I just got my 30sf repaired back from Smyrna. Trigger bar info!

WarEagle32
06-13-2012, 01:21
I have owned 9 Glocks. I currently own 4 so I am a GSSF Glock man. I have never sent any pistol back to Smyrna for any reason. I had several FTFs and a whole lot of brass in my face for the first time in over 15 years of Glock shooting. I thought it might be the trigger bar. However, the 4256-1 that it came with I was sure they would change but they didn't. I was expecting for it to return with a 4256-1- but it did not and came back with the original -1. I haven't got a chance to give it a dance but I will shortly. I know several of you were wondering which bar mine would come back with and I was surprised because there was no explanation to what they did to the gun. I got it late this evening so I will call them tomm to find out what the problem was.

Bello
06-13-2012, 06:39
Wow no Explanation

WarEagle32
06-13-2012, 19:24
None!!

tercel89
06-13-2012, 19:55
Let us know soon .

gbpanther41
06-13-2012, 21:03
Very interesting. I am having problems with mine and have been in contact with Glock the past 3-5 days. They want me to ship mine in and I would have except for the price they want to charge me for a gun that is not even a month old yet. My buddies has the -1- trigger bar and the one at Cabela's in Wichita today was a -1- trigger bar. Glock however assures me that the -1- bar is discontinued and I have the most up to date trigger bar in the -1 even though my buddies with a test fire date of 3/12 and the one in Cabela's with a 5/12 date both had -1-. My Glock was test fired 2/12 and is the -1. I went with Glock for their reputation and am very very discouraged by all of this. Wish that I would have went the route of a G30 instead of the 30SF. I even had a guy offer me $450 for my gun but hate to let it go being not even a month old for $130 less than I paid for it.

WarEagle32
06-13-2012, 21:58
Very interesting. I am having problems with mine and have been in contact with Glock the past 3-5 days. They want me to ship mine in and I would have except for the price they want to charge me for a gun that is not even a month old yet. My buddies has the -1- trigger bar and the one at Cabela's in Wichita today was a -1- trigger bar. Glock however assures me that the -1- bar is discontinued and I have the most up to date trigger bar in the -1 even though my buddies with a test fire date of 3/12 and the one in Cabela's with a 5/12 date both had -1-. My Glock was test fired 2/12 and is the -1. I went with Glock for their reputation and am very very discouraged by all of this. Wish that I would have went the route of a G30 instead of the 30SF. I even had a guy offer me $450 for my gun but hate to let it go being not even a month old for $130 less than I paid for it.

I wouldn't sell it. They will make it right. This is my 9th Glock and I've had not a peep of trouble from any of them!! If you tell Glock on the phone that's it's a new pistol they will pay the shipping both ways as they should. This just let's me know that the -1 trigger bar is the factory spec bar used. I made that clear in my enclosed note. I will run it hard Friday and post results!

Noponer
06-21-2012, 14:05
I just traded for a new G-30sf last weekend. It has a casing test date of 4/12, but has the -1 bar. I have not fired the gun, but the slide passes the "hold vertical & release slide slowly" test OK. It goes right into battery. I believe the -1- was a temporary work-around.

However, when I put a G-21 smooth trigger bar in the G-30sf, it kept hanging up when the bar got to the safety. I polished the safety (I have several on hand) & it helped only slightly... still hangs up a little. Remember, though, that the gun has not been fired to smooth up everything. I doubt that I would have any real problems during actual firing.

I guess I will never know, though; I don't plan to fire it so I can sell or trade it as "never fired". I can't get used to the SF frame on the G-30. I have a non-SF that I love & want to get another or maybe a Gen4.

WarEagle32
06-21-2012, 14:12
The -1- may have been temporary!

lyodbraun
06-21-2012, 14:48
I can't get used to the SF frame on the G-30. I have a non-SF that I love & want to get another or maybe a Gen4.

The New Gen4 30 will have just about the same size grip as the SF model wiht no backstraps installed, from all the info Ive read about them... I love my 30SF, had had no issues with mine at all, and it has the same trigger bar as the OP... have almost 1500 rounds downrange with it....

tacmc6
06-21-2012, 15:10
I am having the same problem with my gen 3 G21. It has the plain trigger bar without the -1. It will not go into battery when doing the RSA test( holding it straight up and releasing slowly). It will hang up out of battery. I have already changed to a new RSA but did not help. Maybe I need to try the -1 trigger bar----do you think so?

GRT45
06-21-2012, 15:14
The -1- may have been temporary!

The latest revision of the Glock Parts Order Form (Rev 50) now shows the part number associated with the 4256-1- trigger bar is DISCONTINUED and the part number for the 4256-1 trigger bar with grooved trigger (previously marked discontinued) has been reinstated as the standard factory trigger bar for the G30-G30SF.

Either the 4256-1- trigger bar was a temporary measure to address a problem that has since been corrected (most likely), or modifications have been incorporated in the current version of the 4256-1 trigger bar. It's confusing, but those are the facts in the document the factory emailed to me from Smyrna on 6/4/2012.

GRT45
06-21-2012, 15:22
I am having the same problem with my gen 3 G21. It has the plain trigger bar without the -1. It will not go into battery when doing the RSA test( holding it straight up and releasing slowly). It will hang up out of battery. I have already changed to a new RSA but did not help. Maybe I need to try the -1 trigger bar----do you think so?

tacmc6, are you experiencing a FTRTB with your Gen3 G21 during normal firing or just in the RSA Field Inspection Test you described above? The reason I ask is because it's not uncommon for the G21 and G20, with their heavier slides, to fail the RSA Field Inspection Test even with a new RSA. This is what I've been told by Glock, Inc. personnel in the Armorer Course and at the Glock factory.

Incidentally, the OP is describing an issue surrounding the differences between the 4256-1 and 4256-1- (note trailing dash) trigger bars with grooved trigger for the G30-G30SF. To my knowledge, the 4256-1- trigger bar has never been suggested by Glock, Inc. for use in the G21-G21SF. The standard for the G21-G21SF-G21Gen4 is 4256-1 with smooth trigger face (Part No. SP04417).

tacmc6
06-21-2012, 16:28
Yes, I am having this issue with the RSA field inspection. I did not realize this could be normal with a G21. I do believe the part number on my trigger bar is 4256 (no -1 visible). Should I upgrade to the -1? My G21 ser # is GKWxxx series, I believe made around 09/2004. THANKS

GRT45
06-21-2012, 16:55
I do believe the part number on my trigger bar is 4256 (no -1 visible). Should I upgrade to the -1? My G21 ser # is GKWxxx series, I believe made around 09/2004. THANKS

It's worth a call to Glock in Smyrna, GA to find out what they recommend in your case (770-432-1202). However, if the pistol is operating normally at the range, there is no rush IMHO.

tercel89
06-21-2012, 20:51

When you are doing this "RSA test" are you doing it with a full magazine inserted in the pistol or an empty pistol ?
Looks like if it would ever fail to do into battery , it would do so with a full one .

bac1023
06-22-2012, 04:31
Interesting

dpadams6
06-22-2012, 08:29
How confusing. I had a problem with my 29 where I had light primer strike and slightly off center. Glock sent me the 4256 -1- and it seemed to correct the problem.

GRT45
06-22-2012, 08:46
For reference, this is the description of the RSA Field Inspection Test quoted from the Glock Armorer's Manual (ęGlock 2009, Pg 63):
3. Recoil Spring/Guide Rod Assembly

The recoil spring should be strong enough to move the slide forward reliably to chamber cartridges even if the pistol is somewhat dirty, dry or the ammunition is not perfect. With an unloaded pistol, point it 45░ upwards and pull the trigger. While holding the trigger back, pull the slide to the rear and release it very slowly. The recoil spring should be able to push the slide completely forward and fully into battery. This test verifies that the recoil spring is strong enough to chamber ammunition despite less than ideal circumstances.

[GRT45 class notes from May, 2011 Armorer's Course: The G21 and G20 pistols, with their heavier slides, are known to sometimes fail this test even with a new RSA.]

Noponer
06-22-2012, 14:30
The New Gen4 30 will have just about the same size grip as the SF model wiht no backstraps installed, from all the info Ive read about them...

Yeah, that's true... but you have 2 backstraps to add! :supergrin:

I will have to get hold of one to feel, but I would probably add the smallest back strap. I had a Gen4 G19 & it felt good with the largest backstrap - but that pushed my hand too high. I have a tendency to get slide burn & that made it a definite thing. :crying:

linkscoach
06-24-2012, 08:31
I have a 30SF and I have had a few failure to return to battery instances but it isn't a constant problem. It seems like sometimes while firing that the slide is slow to return to battery. It's kind of hard to explain but it just feels off to me. I've fired a lot of handguns and never experienced anything like that.

Could it be related to the above problem?

Second question as I'm still confused, loaded magazine in the pistol for the return to battery test or no magazine?

Noponer
06-25-2012, 15:15
I have a 30SF and I have had a few failure to return to battery instances but it isn't a constant problem. It seems like sometimes while firing that the slide is slow to return to battery. It's kind of hard to explain but it just feels off to me. I've fired a lot of handguns and never experienced anything like that.

Could it be related to the above problem?

Second question as I'm still confused, loaded magazine in the pistol for the return to battery test or no magazine?

Mine was doing it with the mag out... I did not check with it in. See my comments above in post #7 (new G-30). Mine had no problem with the original grooved trigger bar, but did with a G-21 bar.

I think this has been covered before, but...
I noticed the hang-up was the tab on top of the bar was bumping the slide just as it got past the ejection port. I removed a little material on the top & polished the tab top. That seemed to take care of it. I assume there will be no problem with the safety being pushed in fully, since the tab still contacts the slide slightly (at the top of the tab).

The bump on the side of the bar doesn't even get close to rubbing the slide in this gun.

Now to fire it some & see if all works well.

trip20
06-25-2012, 20:57
For reference, this is the description of the RSA Field Inspection Test quoted from the Glock Armorer's Manual (ęGlock 2009, Pg 63):

The recoil spring should be strong enough to move the slide forward reliably to chamber cartridges even if the pistol is somewhat dirty, dry or the ammunition is not perfect. With an unloaded pistol, point it 45░ upwards and pull the trigger. While holding the trigger back, pull the slide to the rear and release it very slowly. The recoil spring should be able to push the slide completely forward and fully into battery. This test verifies that the recoil spring is strong enough to chamber ammunition despite less than ideal circumstances.

[GRT45 class notes from May, 2011 Armorer's Course: The G21 and G20 pistols, with their heavier slides, are known to sometimes fail this test even with a new RSA.]

Thanks for the instructions. I just performed this test on my 30sf born in Feb 2012 and it passed with flying colors. I have the 4256-1 trigger bar.

CDW4ME
06-26-2012, 05:45
I got a 30SF that was made in May 2012 and it has a -1 trigger.

faawrenchbndr
06-26-2012, 06:05
I noticed the hang-up was the tab on top of the bar was bumping the slide just as it got past the ejection port. I removed a little material on the top & polished the tab top. That seemed to take care of it. I assume there will be no problem with the safety being pushed in fully, since the tab still contacts the slide slightly (at the top of the tab).

The bump on the side of the bar doesn't even get close to rubbing the slide in this gun.

I've fixed four G30sf models that way. One was fixed three years
ago. Still shooting 100%. The BEST fix is finding a "4256"
trigger bar assy.......no dash or dash one!

Arc Angel
06-26-2012, 07:18

That is NOT the full test! Begin with a known empty pistol. Point the muzzle straight up. Pull the trigger. Withdraw the slide and very gently ride it down until the breechface makes contact with the barrel's hood. (I always begin with my barrels pointed straight up; every now and then I'll be surprised to see one snap shut when vertical!)

The slide should, 'click' into battery BEFORE the muzzle passes 45 degrees. The sooner the slide locks up the stronger the RSA is supposed to be. Neither is this test completely reliable; it seems most true for older Glocks rather than for more recent ones. (I have seen Glock pistols that would, 'snap' into battery at a scant 30 degrees, or less, and ran just fine.)

I have G-21's that easily pass this test. I have a G-19 with a tightly fitted Bar-Sto barrel that flunks, every time, but also runs flawlessly, 'like a Swiss Rolex'. This test, also, appears to be most applicable to Glock pistols with one piece guide rods. In any event it's been my general experience that you really have to know your own particular Glock quite well before this RSA test is able to yield genuinely useful results.

Most people don't know their Glock pistols this well; and, consequently, the factory has gone through a series of, 'yeas' and, 'nays' recommending this test in the past. At best, I've found the Glock RSA test to be an indication of how well, or not, the RSA is performing. You're going to need more information before throwing a new spring in there. I use Wolff Gunsprings in my Glocks; some of them have digested between 10 and 12 thousands rounds and continue to be 100% reliable.

Noponer
06-27-2012, 21:00

I've fixed four G30sf models that way. One was fixed three years
ago. Still shooting 100%. The BEST fix is finding a "4256"
trigger bar assy.......no dash or dash one!

Do you mean "no dash one(-1) or no dash-one-dash (-1-)"?

I assume you are referring to one of the older trigger bars with only 4256 on it.

I test fired several kinds of ammo today in this brand-new G30sf with no problems. About 10 rounds each of my low-power 225 gr plated flat-nose ( near USPSA major power factor), Fed Premium HydraShok 230 gr & Remington ball 230 gr. I started with the low-power stuff to see if the new 30sf would have problems without any high-power "break-in".

AZ Cat
09-26-2012, 09:52
I just received a new (test fire date was 8/30/12) SF21 as a warranty replacement from Glock. The trigger bar is stamped "4256-2"...first I've heard of that one. I'm guessing it's a recent re-design? Anyway, I haven't had a chance to fire it yet but I'll put a couple hundred rounds through it in the next week or so and report back.

In the meantime, I'm curious if anyone else has seen the 4256-2 trigger bar or knows anything about it.

Arc Angel
09-26-2012, 10:54
...... In the meantime, I'm curious if anyone else has seen the 4256-2 trigger bar or knows anything about it.

I'm going to guess that it's a #4256-1 trigger bar with a new steeper angle on the sear, 'kick plate'. (What do you want to bet!) ;)

dober-man
09-26-2012, 16:08
I have had a glock 30sf for a few years.
Just got to shoot it last weekend. I had no malfunctions but I only was able to shoot about 50 rounds. When do the failures start. From the first shot or after you shoot it for a while?

hpd303
01-17-2013, 20:50
I have G30sf and my trigger feels like it builds pressure to the point that it will not break. This is all during dry firing. Gun not that old, I have preformed the simple polish trigger job and may damaged something. May have removed the trigger pin or forced it out wrong. when I take it all apart it fixes es the problem for a awhile, but will return within about 50 dry fires. Wondering what to do now????

GRT45
01-17-2013, 21:02
I have G30sf and my trigger feels like it builds pressure to the point that it will not break. This is all during dry firing. Gun not that old, I have preformed the simple polish trigger job and may damaged something. May have removed the trigger pin or forced it out wrong. when I take it all apart it fixes es the problem for a awhile, but will return within about 50 dry fires. Wondering what to do now????

From the symptoms you describe, the first thing to check is proper lubrication of the connector hook.

The Glock Armorer's Manual calls it the most important place to lubricate your pistol. Below is the excerpt from the manual:

"Most important is one drop of oil placed just under the connector hook (located just above the right rear receiver rail). Any lubricant placed here will move down where the connector and trigger bar meet. If this area is not properly lubricated, the result may be a "hard" trigger pull that can lead to connector and/or trigger bar damage."

Pictures below are courtesy of GT member Butch.

Here's some pics of where the most important drop goes:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0603/ButchG17/239be042.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0603/ButchG17/Glock%20pics/DSC07117.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0603/ButchG17/Glock%20pics/MOSTIMPORTANTDROP-.jpg

mrgreg5000
10-20-2013, 10:03
WELL I JUST GOT A GLOCK 30s..........TEST DATE 7-24-2013....AND IT HAS -1- TRIGGER BAR.....SO THEY ARE ALL SCREWED UP

dakrat
10-20-2013, 10:12
my 30s with a test fire date of 9/12/13 has the 4256-2 if that helps anyone.

fastbolt
10-20-2013, 10:25

According to Glock, the "RSA field test" isn't intended to be done with the .45/10 models.

The slides are heavier than the 9/.40/.357 models and can cause the guns to "fail" the test even when the RSA's are perfectly within spec and will let the guns function normally during live-fire.

As an armorer, I've been reminded of this by Glock techs.

I've been able to get a G21SF to "fail" the RSA field test with both the existing RSA and a brand new one.

mrgreg5000
10-20-2013, 21:23
my 30s with a test fire date of 9/12/13 has the 4256-2 if that helps anyone.

see yours is 2 months newer then mine and u have the -2 trigger bar...that pisses me off..i see i will be driving 67 miles to glock soon

mrgreg5000
10-20-2013, 21:48
does any one know ..what the difference is in the -1- or the -2 trigger bar....and as stated before i have the -1- in my glock 30S test date 7-24-2013........should i have it changed????????is it neccessary>????

grizz
10-20-2013, 22:03
does any one know ..what the difference is in the -1- or the -2 trigger bar....and as stated before i have the -1- in my glock 30S test date 7-24-2013........should i have it changed????????is it neccessary>????

I'm not aware of the difference between the two, but from what I've seen Glock generally changes these parts because they are aware of a problem or potential problem with them. I would personally make sure I had the most updated trigger bar. I can't think of any reason not to.

silversport
10-21-2013, 04:26
great info in this thread...

Bill

ryan_75
10-21-2013, 08:09
I bought a new trigger bar for my old Gen 2.5 G30 that is labeled 4256. The new one I got in the mail is a -2 from Brownells.

dakrat
10-21-2013, 08:18

if you pistol functions fine with that version, I would not worry about it. if they deem it is a widely known problem, they will issue a recall just like the RSA.