Who out there has a Trust? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Who out there has a Trust?

bigmoney890
06-13-2012, 16:49
I have a couple of questions about setting up a Trust. I've looked into everything surrounding the Trust, but I cannot seem to find two specific answers. When you have a Trust, you can bypass your CLEO and fingerprints and picture ID for all NFA items. But here in NC you have to get a pistol purchase permit before you guy a handgun. 1) If I set up a Trust, would I also bypass my CLEO for handgun purchases as well? 2) I Read that if you buy a SBR with your Trust, you have to get the Trust name engraved on the receiver, is this only for converting a rifle to a SBR or is that for a complete rifle as well? Any help is appreciated!

Thanks,
Drew

WoodenPlank
06-13-2012, 16:54
I have a couple of questions about setting up a Trust. I've looked into everything surrounding the Trust, but I cannot seem to find two specific answers. When you have a Trust, you can bypass your CLEO and fingerprints and picture ID for all NFA items. But here in NC you have to get a pistol purchase permit before you guy a handgun. 1) If I set up a Trust, would I also bypass my CLEO for handgun purchases as well? 2) I Read that if you buy a SBR with your Trust, you have to get the Trust name engraved on the receiver, is this only for converting a rifle to a SBR or is that for a complete rifle as well? Any help is appreciated!

Thanks,
Drew

1) No. Getting an NC CCW will get you out of needing a pistol purchase permit, though.
2) if you buy an existing SBR, there is nothing to engrave. If you do a Form 1 on an existing non-SBR lower (pistol, rifle, stripped, whatever), then the trust info must be engraved, as the trust is legally the manufacturer of the SBR.

Trusts may be going away soon. Word is the ATF is in the final stages of eliminating the need for CLEO signatures on NFA items. Also, rumor is that the ATF's backlog is in part due to all the people using trusts for NFA items to go around asshat sheriffs. The NFA inspectors are apparently going over all trust paperwork now to ensure it is valid, meaning it takes longer to go over and approve each form.

bigmoney890
06-13-2012, 17:24
1) No. Getting an NC CCW will get you out of needing a pistol purchase permit, though.
2) if you buy an existing SBR, there is nothing to engrave. If you do a Form 1 on an existing non-SBR lower (pistol, rifle, stripped, whatever), then the trust info must be engraved, as the trust is legally the manufacturer of the SBR.

Trusts may be going away soon. Word is the ATF is in the final stages of eliminating the need for CLEO signatures on NFA items. Also, rumor is that the ATF's backlog is in part due to all the people using trusts for NFA items to go around asshat sheriffs. The NFA inspectors are apparently going over all trust paperwork now to ensure it is valid, meaning it takes longer to go over and approve each form.

Thanks for the info!

LA_357SIG
06-13-2012, 17:27
NC NFA stuff and an informative site in general (http://www.guntrustlawyer.com/states/north-carolina/)

A trust will not bypass state law. You will still have to have a permit to buy handguns. Even with the CLEO signature eliminated, Trusts are still worth it over individual is most cases. I doubt the NFA will do away with trusts all together.

Manimal
06-14-2012, 06:38
Does every state require you to engrave the lower if you build the SBR yourself?

bigmoney890
06-14-2012, 08:23
I'm pretty sure it's an ATF requirement