Trench sight? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Trench sight?

Robby6Pack
06-13-2012, 17:14
Does anyone have a Colt New Agent? What do you think of the Trench sight? I haven't even held one, let alone looked down the slide through the sight. Do you get the same picture as if you were looking through notch or v sights? Feedback please

Robby T

fnfalman
06-13-2012, 18:10
I played with one at the gun shop but never shot it, so I don't really know if it were to work as well as advertised. When you look down the slide, it is like looking down a "trench". Probably work well at 10-yds or less.

10-32
06-13-2012, 18:20
I have one I bought at the Ft. Hood PX a few years back. It's a neat little gun, but I find that the recoil of that gun compared to my Kimber Ultra CDPII or Glock 30 is atrocious. Largely for that reason, I haven't shot it much.

It's no target pistol, that's for sure and the trench sight took a little getting used to for me. I think that for CCW, where you're most likely to be shooting at very close range, it would be fine. If you have any plans for it other than that, it may not be the best option IMO.

I have carried it in a IWB holster by HBE, and it concealed beautifully.

ca survivor
06-14-2012, 06:17
there was a gentleman at the LGS with one, ended up sending to have Novak's sights installed.

Disregarded9-side
06-18-2012, 19:08
The trench sight is an awesome idea, and I personally think it's neat looking on carry 1911s. However, having used trench sights on two handguns yesterday, I have to admit they're terrible as far as functionality is concerned (YMMV, especially with training). For this shooter, I hesitate to say a trench sight would be any better than a nude barrel; maybe even worse.

FWIW, both handguns I shot with trench sights were revolvers. The semi-auto I shot a while back with a trench also didn't hit my intended targets.

glock2740
06-18-2012, 19:10
I played with one at the gun shop but never shot it, so I don't really know if it were to work as well as advertised. When you look down the slide, it is like looking down a "trench". Probably work well at 10-yds or less.
Same experience and opinion here. Might be a decent CC gun with a Ct/laser grip IMO.

MoFormula
06-19-2012, 06:18
I have a New Agent and had a Defender previously. I shoot the trench well at 7 yards which is where I practice. It did take a couple of magazines to figure out the system. For me, it is about the ability to conceal. I have since added CT Lasergrips as a backup device much like adding night sights to a conventional sighting system.

HexHead
06-19-2012, 06:23
I had a New Agent, and it took a couple of magazines to adapt to the trench site. You don't look down the entire trench, basically just down the last inch or so down by the muzzle. The trench aids you in point shooting.

It's not a target pistol and you're not going to get one jagged hole. But it's a great defensive pistol at typical defensive distances.

texmex
06-22-2012, 15:04
The trench sight works just as well for me as Bomar sights. Maybe it's because I shoot with both eyes closed.

Shark1007
06-22-2012, 19:46
I'll let you know in the late morning, loading mags tonight, range early.

Ouch, if not for the umpa loompa loader thing, I'd be crippled. It is nice to be such a 1911 nut that you can load 350 rounds up for the next day.

Shark1007
06-23-2012, 07:33
Trench sight worked nicely as did the laser. It took a little getting used to, but for self defense distances, no problems.

fran m
06-23-2012, 10:18
I wouldn't bother with it. I want some kind of post and notch, even if they are small. Seems like there are always a few for sale used on the forums. I don't know if the sights or lack thereof, are the reason for the sales. I wonder every time.

Shark1007
06-23-2012, 11:30
You have a point, the sights aren't for everyone I suppose. I did find myself looking for a post at times, but you can get used to them pretty easily. At ten yards, it was doing an eight inch group rapid fire without really looking at the sights.

The CT grips were a dream. At first I didn't think lasers were any good and counter intuitive, but, after using them a while on other pistols, I'm impressed!

The decision making on this pistol is concealability, weight, recoil and sights.