High strike misfires in brand new G29 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : High strike misfires in brand new G29

TDC20
06-13-2012, 19:31
Took my brand new G29 to the range and fired 158 rds. I had no FTF's or FTE's. The only problem I had was two misfires. On both rounds, there was a firing pin strike on the primers that would have been deep enough to set off the primer, except that it was centered halfway between the center of the primer and the edge of the primer pocket. In both cases, I re-chambered the rounds and they fired on the next firing pin strike. In reviewing the rest of the 156 fired cases, I found several that were also somewhat high off-center firing pin strikes, but they went on the first hit.

Anyone know what might be causing this? It would appear that the slide and barrel are not locking up fully, or at least not consistently, so the firing pin is not aligned to the center of the primer. I also noticed some inconsistency with the elevation of POI, which may also have been caused by this.

ModGlock17
06-13-2012, 20:16
When I buy a used Glock that supposedly LNIB, I'd look at the top of the barrel (right at the front end of the chamber's square. That's the part that should slide into battery from under the slide. If it is worn to shiny-look, there's several hundred rounds fired. The shine caused by sliding action between the slide and the barrel. Shiny means older, but smooth operation.

I'm guessing that the edge of the slide at that square cut, is still rough, if what you said about the not-fully-in-battery is actually happened. The sliding edges of a new gun is sharp all over. Two ways to smooth them out for a reliable operation. One is to fire a bunch of ammo, which is expensive, fun, and may be annoying because unreliable. The other is polish down the edges.

_The_Shadow
06-14-2012, 12:32
Another place to look is the locking block, some have reported cracked blocks.
It needs to be carefully inspected...
Good luck!

TDC20
06-15-2012, 00:09
After inspecting the locking block, I think the problem might be friction between the barrel and the locking block. I didn't lubricate these surfaces, and the wear marks look suspicious. So I'll oil that spot and run a few hundred more rounds through it to see if the problem goes away, and I'll report back when I find out.

Thanks for the help guys!

ModGlock17
06-15-2012, 14:12
I had been advised at least twice that you only very lightly lube the new gun at that area. The rationale being that you'd want it to wear down so the gun becomes more reliable.

FWIW.

TDC20
06-16-2012, 09:03
I had been advised at least twice that you only very lightly lube the new gun at that area. The rationale being that you'd want it to wear down so the gun becomes more reliable.

FWIW.
Actually, that makes sense. This was the first Glock that I didn't field strip and clean/lube prior to firing. I thought I would just run the first 150-200 rds through her with the factory lube and copper grease "as is" for break-in.

I haven't typically lubricated the locking block much on my other Glocks. So I'm a bit confused if this is truly the problem or not, but after field stripping it and doing my regular maintenance cleaning and lube, the action sure seems to be smoother now.

The Glock locking blocks all seem to be unfinished cast parts (kind of rough and porous). I might pull it out and take a felt dremel polish to it if this happens again, though I admit I'm scratching my head on this one since I've never had to do that before with my other Glocks. I'll report back when I have a couple hundred more rounds through her.