Haircuts. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Haircuts.

Bolster
06-13-2012, 22:04
OK, only marginally related to S/P because you can always live without a haircut. But if we're going to rebuild civilization, then haircuts will be part of the formula--unless you're fortunate enough to be bald, then you don't have to worry, you'll always look cool!

I highly recommend the Flowbee. I make a little checkmark on the box each time I use it, and with a quick calculation, I see that not only have I paid for the Flowbee in savings, but I'm saved back an additional $350 in haircuts so far!

But even better than that...it takes me 10 minutes from the time I think "I need a haircut" to the time I'm done. No driving to the barber. No gay guy rubbing up against me as he cuts my hair (happened once...I got up and left with my haircut half done!) No tipping. No waiting in line. Just hook up and go.

Mrs. Bolster swears she can't tell a difference between me cutting my own, and the stylist doing it.

Cool thing is, if you use it every 3-4 weeks, it looks like you never get a haircut...always looks the same.

OK, go ahead and mock. I love this sucker. I'll be stylin' long after TEOTWAWKI. Trying to figure out how to run it on 12v. I'll be giving solar haircuts after the grid goes down.

Nine Shooter
06-13-2012, 22:52
I cut my hair with storebought clippers I got for about $25-$35. I replace them about every two years or so, giving myself haircuts every 2-3 weeks on average. The key is finding some way to run it without power :)

I was paying about $15-$17 every two weeks for a haircut. That's nuts!

RedHaze
06-13-2012, 23:14
It works for first graders everywhere... it'll do come TEOTWAWKI.

http://entathig.info/img.php?fl=o5n4q4i4134434h5x5t5z554r5z52464t4m5s5f4q4n5o284o4m4v2o3a4z5p5a4u2v2s2u2o22494x2b4r2y2o2d 4x5n5

Snaps
06-14-2012, 00:17
i have a pair of clippers from walmart. Shave the hair off weekly at the very longest. No guard, but buzz it

UneasyRider
06-14-2012, 05:49
I share my clippers with my dogs, they're nice clippers, and I use a number 2 guide every Friday morning. TEOTWAWKI won't change much for me.

I also have a couple of pairs that run on regular AA batteries that I use when we travel and I would use those if the power goes out.

When we were on our honeymoon (on a motorcycle for 3 weeks) i found a barber shop on Friday to cut my hair. My wife had some serious doubts about what she had gotten herself into and said so but that's how I like it!

Bilbo Bagins
06-14-2012, 07:41
I cut my hair with storebought clippers I got for about $25-$35. I replace them about every two years or so, giving myself haircuts every 2-3 weeks on average. The key is finding some way to run it without power :)

I was paying about $15-$17 every two weeks for a haircut. That's nuts!

And I thought I was the only lunatic doing this. :rofl:

Last year I found myself waiting over an hour at a neighborhood Supercuts, just to get the same short clipper haircut I always get. I just stood up and said, "F it." I went to a drugstore, and bought a mid priced Wahl clipper set.

My wife was freakin out, but ironically the first time I cut my own hair, it came out great. I clipped my hair a few times since. I never screwed up bad yet, just occasionally some minor issue with doing the back of my head.

You do get a weird sense of pride after cutting your own hair.

quake
06-14-2012, 08:38
My wife's been cutting our boys' hair since they were small, using electric clippers with various-length guards. Don't recall for sure, but I think they're Wahl brand. I usually get mine cut at a local small barber shop mainly because I can drop in when it's convenient for me & he's been doing it for quite a while. But no reason she couldn't do it if need be; she's done it plenty of times on the kids.

Now, getting HER hair cut; she might let a neighbor lady do it in a pinch, but I suspect she'd never let me do it.

Bolster
06-14-2012, 08:52

Word is that Socrates did all of his own haircutting with a sword.

Now, getting HER hair cut; she might let a neighbor lady do it in a pinch, but I suspect she'd never let me do it.

That's why you need to do it while she's sleeping. Practice now!!

Lone Kimono
06-14-2012, 10:02
Going bald so this won't be a problem much longer for me. I would suggest everyone invest in a straight razor for shaving though.

UneasyRider
06-14-2012, 10:04
That's why you need to do it while she's sleeping. Practice now!!

Let if know if there are any good guns in the divorce sale! :whistling:

Bushflyr
06-14-2012, 10:21
#2 Buzz. I think I've had 2 barber shop haircuts in my life. My mom did it when I was little and now I diy. A piece of nylon wrapped around the neck and I always get a nice clean edge.

Stevekozak
06-14-2012, 17:06
Are there not any long-hair hippies in this prepper forum? :) I keep mine short as well. Not as short as a lot of you, apparently, but pretty short. I have only cut my own hair once, and that time i buzzed it off.

the Hudge
06-14-2012, 17:46
Hair cuts?
Yes I am working on the long hair hippie thing as its been well over a year since my last hair cut. Scissors will not touch my head again. To many years wearing a monkey suit, and SOP's dictating my grooming procedures.

Walk Soft
06-14-2012, 17:57
i have a pair of clippers from walmart. Shave the hair off weekly at the very longest. No guard, but buzz it

Same here.I'm 34 and have only once paid for a haircut.
Old barber with a staight razor shaved my head and face.

UneasyRider
06-14-2012, 18:06
Same here.I'm 34 and have only once paid for a haircut.
Old barber with a staight razor shaved my head and face.

My Mom cut my hair right through college then I was getting clipper cuts. I wore hair in my early 40's and paid to have it cut then one day I went into some place in the mall for a haircut and made the mistake of answering "No" to the question "Do you want anyone in particular to cut your hair?" Well I ended up with some flaming gay guy and yes I am a homophobe, so I decided that the dogs clippers would work just fine on me too and I zipped it off. I have never felt better!

quake
06-15-2012, 05:41
...That's why you need to do it while she's sleeping. Practice now!!
Not likely. I've got to sleep some time too, and no telling what she might decide to start trimming.

shotgunred
06-15-2012, 06:21
You may think your hair looks fine with a guard cut. But it easy to spot one.:wow: But if that is good enough for you then it is. Personally I get mine done every other week by a professional.

UneasyRider
06-15-2012, 06:27
You may think your hair looks fine with a guard cut. But it easy to spot one.:wow: But if that is good enough for you then it is. Personally I get mine done every other week by a professional.

I ask my wife if it looks ok to her and she says yes, me... I don't care, I like it. I have a friend with hair who uses a flowbee and you can't tell that it's not a professional cut.

Bolster
06-15-2012, 07:51
The Flowbee sucks the hair away from your head and then cuts it at various lengths. I use three different length guards for my haircuts, a longish one on top, a shortish one on the sides and back, and a tapered one for the edges around the ears and back of neck.

So you don't get the impression it's a simple "bowl cut" or an all-the-same-length cut. The Flowbee more-or-less duplicates what the gay guy cutting your hair is doing, but without the ardent liberalism, hollywood gossip, or sarcasm.

Bilbo Bagins
06-15-2012, 08:34
The Flowbee sucks the hair away from your head and then cuts it at various lengths. I use three different length guards for my haircuts, a longish one on top, a shortish one on the sides and back, and a tapered one for the edges around the ears and back of neck.

So you don't get the impression it's a simple "bowl cut" or an all-the-same-length cut. The Flowbee more-or-less duplicates what the gay guy cutting your hair is doing, but without the ardent liberalism, hollywood gossip, or sarcasm.

The roar of a shopvac or that?

I would take the shopvac.

pugman
06-15-2012, 08:49
Are there not any long-hair hippies in this prepper forum? :) I keep mine short as well. Not as short as a lot of you, apparently, but pretty short. I have only cut my own hair once, and that time i buzzed it off.

I didn't get my hair cut for 13 years except for some minimal split end trimming - yes, at one point my hair was close to my waist. In my defense, it was the 80's.

However, no one would have described me as a hippie. Even though my father is a Vietnam vet, blue collar machinest his thought on the matter was simple: Pugman is a 3.9 student what do I care what your hair looks like.

To the OP's Point though: having taken care of long hair when I had hot water and shampoo I can honestly say there is no way I would keep it in a SHTF or EOTW situation.

Without proper cleaning its a nesting ground for lice - I didn't have lice, but in the OP's rebuilding situation scenario how long do you think it will take until it becomes a problem for a lot of people

It doesn't allow for headgear...whether it be a wool cap or Kevlar helmet to fit properly.

Forget what you have seen in the Kung Fu movies with long hair being used as a weapon. In a fight, it gives your opponent a handle to your head.

As someone who had long hair during Wisconsin winters, I place very little if any value on its insulating properties...and during the summers.....its hot as hell

It can get caught in anything. Forget what you saw in The Road - long hair in a situation like that is not recommended.

No...rebuilding event my hair will be cut with whatever I can find...and I wont' give a &*^ what it looks like.

syntaxerrorsix
06-15-2012, 09:39
I keep a standard high and tight that gets tuned up every Friday. I've been cutting my own hair since Basic.

You can get clippers that run on batteries and I've used a set of these with moderate success as well.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41oQen70cyL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

UneasyRider
06-15-2012, 20:22
I keep a standard high and tight that gets tuned up every Friday. I've been cutting my own hair since Basic.

You can get clippers that run on batteries and I've used a set of these with moderate success as well.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41oQen70cyL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Where can I buy those please?

RWBlue
06-15-2012, 20:37
Yes, I cut my own hair. Most of the time, I get it right and I look OK. Sometimes,......well the back doesn't look right. I am tempted to use the #1 and just have less hair all around.

9mm +p+
06-16-2012, 00:27
Shaved clean, who needs hair?

syntaxerrorsix
06-16-2012, 06:24
Where can I buy those please?

Here ya go.

Amazon.com: Bressant Manual Hand Clipper: Health & Personal Care@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41oQen70cyL.@@AMEPARAM@@41oQen70cyL

G19freak
06-16-2012, 09:55
Clippers--a razor and a small mirror is all you need.

Have been cutting my own hair for over 15 years and happen to look good in a buzz cut-----and have saved thousands of dollars--countless hours of my time waiting for my turn and the aggravation of a bad cut(that I paid for) or some queer touching me.

I think I'll go cut my hair now.

JuneyBooney
06-16-2012, 15:19

http://entathig.info/img.php?fl=o5n4q4i4134434h5x5t5z554r5z52464t4m5s5f4q4n5o284o4m4v2o3a4z5p5a4u2v2s2u2o22494x2b4r2y2o2d 4x5n5

I agree.

Lt Scott 14
06-16-2012, 17:06
Hard to not go to my regular Barber. He carries a Kimber 1911A, has numerous Gun magazines(old and new) and never says anything if you OC your firearm to his shop.
He also has golf mags, fishing mags, hunting, and has renewed Maxim. Most of the ladies who bring kids,also bring People mags, and kids stuff.(he has a shelf with puzzles and games.) His shop is usually packed, everyone talks, and it's a social trip besides haircut. We have cut our own, and Brian has to "fix" it a couple of times.
He has done it with a N/C, so my tip is always there when I need a cut. A great Barber.

syntaxerrorsix
06-16-2012, 17:10
Hard to not go to my regular Barber. He carries a Kimber 1911A, has numerous Gun magazines(old and new) and never says anything if you OC your firearm to his shop.
He also has golf mags, fishing mags, hunting, and has renewed Maxim. Most of the ladies who bring kids,also bring People mags, and kids stuff.(he has a shelf with puzzles and games.) His shop is usually packed, everyone talks, and it's a social trip besides haircut. We have cut our own, and Brian has to "fix" it a couple of times.
He has done it with a N/C, so my tip is always there when I need a cut. A great Barber.

I use to get "social visits" (for trims) while deployed. I treat all brass the same. "High and Tight just like me sir." No one ever opted for a screamin' eagle.

I'd spend the money for fine occasions if I had such a place. Good stuff LT.

shotgunred
06-16-2012, 17:25
The Flowbee more-or-less duplicates what the gay guy cutting your hair is doing, but without the ardent liberalism, hollywood gossip, or sarcasm.

For $20.00 I get a hair wash, scalp massage, hair cut and my beard trimmed. By a hot woman no less. No gay guy.

syntaxerrorsix
06-16-2012, 17:29
For $20.00 I get a hair wash, scalp massage, hair cut and my beard trimmed. By a hot woman no less. No gay guy.

For the same price I do it weekly. Average cost is $20 a decade.

Not hot chicks mind you.

Don't get me wrong, hot women are worth money.. just not haircut money :whistling:

Warp
06-16-2012, 18:38
I haven't paid for a haircut in about 4 years. My wife does it with some $35 or so Wahl brand clippers from Walmart. Still on the original pair.

TEOTWAWKI...scissors will do just fine. If a haircut is something I am worried about, that is outstandingly awesome.

That's how I used to do it.

Cavalry Doc
06-17-2012, 10:58
I haven't had my hair cut by someone else for about 7 years now. Use clippers with a number one guard on the side, number two on top, the fade is easy to do. If the stuff hit the fan?

Easy, I look for the solution that does not require electricity.

http://lh3.googleusercontent.com/public/lw5_2ngrJ2YbY2ONKr52c2QCfat5Fuh0KC07X2V56wA8YE5SJQVa5BJzIWCpzfPQdpk8noFo_1ZWHDEoS6j5n_SdM0i9duFWWL2n 1zxROE1YxUfmuZ58j6Odo-AKVu3JGP2gbsvrv40f0gTdtXhMSHApTHuxRip6OnBfEw

Hair is nothing but a liability when living outdoors. You will need a hat though.

auto-5
06-17-2012, 12:42
A good hair cut is worth the money. If you are looking to save money do it in other places. But treat yourself every month and get your hair cut by a pro. You are going to look and feel much better.

fairtomidland
06-17-2012, 13:02
Wow!!! To each his own, but I need a pro to cut my hair with scissors!!!! I guess if you were getting a clipper cut it wouldnt a stretch to do it yourself though. I must admit I do hate paying, but to me it is a neccessity.

syntaxerrorsix
06-17-2012, 13:09
A good hair cut is worth the money. If you are looking to save money do it in other places. But treat yourself every month and get your hair cut by a pro. You are going to look and feel much better.

A pro won't be able to improve on my high and tight and I've saved thousands of dollars.

I suppose if you like having a full head of hair and a style of some sorts I could see it.

ETA if I just based my weekly haircut on $5.50 which is what it was on post in 1991 I saved just over 6k in personal hygiene requirements.

I'm sure a cut on post is more expensive now.

NDCent
06-17-2012, 13:51
I'm lucky to many I guess, my hair is extremely thick. I usually get a few smart remark from (thinning) customers when I visit the barber and remind him to thin it out as much as possible.

I use to wear a burr and a flat top as a kid, although I think I would probably look like a skin head trying to pull it off now, I will probably go that route if and when the time comes.

Warp
06-19-2012, 19:08

No.

My hair looks a lot better cut by my wife within the past two weeks than cut by a "pro" 3-4 weeks ago.

I choose to save the money.

Cavalry Doc
06-19-2012, 19:54

Some of us resist the metro-sexual trend. Guys are supposed to be a little rough around the edges.

Bolster
06-19-2012, 20:31
A good hair cut is worth the money. If you are looking to save money do it in other places.

So misguided! The difference between a "pro" haircut and a Flowbee haircut is indistinguishable, except that the Flowbee doesn't lisp at you, call you 'fabulous,' or take your cash on a monthly basis.

Lampshade
06-19-2012, 21:27
Wow, you seem really caught up on this "gay" thing.

Bit my tongue after reading the OP but I see you've mentioned it two more times now.

Bolster
06-19-2012, 22:47
Wow, you seem really caught up on this "gay" thing.

Bit my tongue after reading the OP but I see you've mentioned it two more times now.

Why, are we sensitive? Oh wait, I know where this is going. Next you're going to announce that I must be gay for making the jokes. I've seen this gambit before. Really remarkable how you can mention pretty much any topic here at S/P (cannibalism a favorite; killing people an ongoing fascination; got a good thread going on bludgeoning people), but make a gay joke, and out come the thought police with the shame game and the rubber truncheons (or whatever those things are).

Lampshade
06-20-2012, 06:26
Why, are we sensitive? Oh wait, I know where this is going. Next you're going to announce that I must be gay for making the jokes. I've seen this gambit before. Really remarkable how you can mention pretty much any topic here at S/P (cannibalism a favorite; killing people an ongoing fascination; got a good thread going on bludgeoning people), but make a gay joke, and out come the thought police with the shame game and the rubber truncheons (or whatever those things are).

Sir, you are free to air your hangups about gay barbers to the entire internet if that is your desire.

I'm just sayin' is all.

Bolster
06-20-2012, 08:51
Lampshade, are you coming on to me?

Bilbo Bagins
06-20-2012, 11:34

Reminds me of the Supercuts in my area a few years ago. They hired nothing but pretty, large chested, young women. Guys would line up for hours to get their hair cut. There is nothing like having a 21 year old hot woman cut your hair, especially with the occasional "Boob Bump" on your shoulder as she would lean in. I got probably my worst haircut from one of these beauties. I looked like freakin' Tin Tin, cut way too short all around except for a long tuff of hair in the front. "Whatever honey, looks great"

Unfortunately I guess new management took over, the women got less attractive, and men start working there. If it went back to the old ways, I would abandon my clipper self hair cuts, and go back in a heartbeat.

quake
06-20-2012, 12:12
...There is nothing like having a 21 year old hot woman cut your hair, especially with the occasional "Boob Bump" on your shoulder as she would lean in...
Call me sick, but same with dental hygienists. No boob bumps though.

Yes, I'm happily married, monogamous, and old-ish, but my blood's still red. :embarassed:

gosnmic
06-20-2012, 22:41
I never screwed up bad yet, just occasionally some minor issue with doing the back of my head.

I really couldn't justify dropping $15 per haircut even if I only got 4-6 per year (yup, call my stingy!) so I've been running my own Wahl for some time... As a 'single' I'm completely on my own and completely agree with the 'back of head' challenge - I can mostly handle getting the back finished cleanly with the 3-piece mirrors in my duplex (the two side mirrors angle out so I can fairly easily see how the back looks) BUT that still leaves the neckline trimming (which is more finesse work)! With being able to buzz myself down for no real cost, I've been much more ready to give Great Clips $5 to trim my neck from time to time to give it the "professional" look.

As an added bonus it helps keep a beard/mustache trimmed! :cool:

ScaryWoody
06-22-2012, 08:40
I spent years watching my barber use a Wahl razor on me. Paid hundreds per year. wasted hours waiting. Gallons of gas getting there. Shifting schedules to accommodate his schedule.

One day I decided to give it a try. Not hard at all. I cut my hair every Saturday. Wife evens it up once in a while. Is it perfect every time? No, that's why God created hair that grows back.

SevenSixtyTwo
06-22-2012, 19:09
I too use the Flowbee. When I went to work for the company I've worked for for 30+ years, the boss said go get a hair cut. So off went the pony tail and I looked like the fifth Beatle. He said go get another haircut. So I came back with the Ross Perot look and he was happy. Then he died and I let it grow back out. Now I use the Flowbee with a 2" length and trim the rest with scissors. I've had it for several years. I use a Wahl clipper for my whiskers.

kalifornia
06-23-2012, 08:55
I've cut mine once a week since around 1991. hmm that calcs to over 16 thousand dollars. I must admit though I miss boobie bumps.

Bolster
06-23-2012, 10:54
The solution is obvious to me. The Flowbee needs to come with an optional accessory, a pair of foam boobies you can hang on the wall. Then as you cut your hair you can bump into them occasionally, and squeal with delight.

For this post I will probably be accused of having a misogynistic "foam-boobie hangup" by the thought police. All jokes made are evidence of deep character flaws and the need for reprogramming.

EDIT: Oh, look (http://www.jokeshop.co.uk/cgi-bin/sitewise.pl?act=big&p=2928&id=jokeshop)! They're already available.

quake
06-23-2012, 18:36
...EDIT: Oh, look (http://www.jokeshop.co.uk/cgi-bin/sitewise.pl?act=big&p=2928&id=jokeshop)! They're already available.
There's no way in the world I'm clicking on that link.

SFCSMITH(RET)
06-23-2012, 19:20
Well, I hate it for you guys. I am sure my haircut couldn't be done as well with a floby as my barber does. She is awesome, and no crap, very good looking. Works in her brothers shop, he is a huge hunter and trap shooter, and fair IDPA competitor. I sometimes stop in when I don't need a haircut.

kalifornia
06-24-2012, 08:59
She is awesome, and no crap, very good looking.
If she is so awesome then she wouldn't mind posing for a pic now would she?

edcrosbys
06-24-2012, 10:36
There is nothing like having a 21 year old hot woman cut your hair, especially with the occasional "Boob Bump" on your shoulder as she would lean in.

I used to visit an OLD barbershop every few weeks. Two, almost 90 year old men ran the shop they had been running for longer than I could remember. They charged $5 for a haircut and beard/stache trim and wouldn't take more than a $5 tip. They used a straight razor (I'm almost bald) and hot lather. Their hands would shake under it touched that razor, then they were rock solid.

You can keep the flowbee or silly salon cuts. I've used a pair of clippers and a razor since I moved away. My beard is more of an issue than my hair. If I couldn't get my beard/stache trimmed at least once a month, I might have issues eating!

RMTactical
06-30-2012, 13:16
Haha, I have a flowbee. Everyone in my family does. I kid you not, every single time one of my brothers and sisters and I got married, we were given a Flowbee.

That said, I prefer a pair of clippers.

thetoastmaster
06-30-2012, 14:42
The Suck Kut. It sucks as it cuts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AioVDsXidh0

Bodyarmorguy
06-30-2012, 14:49
OK, only marginally related to S/P because you can always live without a haircut. But if we're going to rebuild civilization, then haircuts will be part of the formula--unless you're fortunate enough to be bald, then you don't have to worry, you'll always look cool!

It's True

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z251/bodyarmorguy/IMG_1025.jpg
http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z251/bodyarmorguy/DSC_0022-1.jpg

Dexters
06-30-2012, 16:03

Well, here is a different point of view on SHTF and hair. You shouldn't take it for granted. If you aren't showering and shampooing your hair it gets oily, dirty and a good place lice. So long hair can be a real annoyance. It just makes you unconformable - just go a couple of weeks without washing it.

When you see all those SHTF TV and movies where the women have a head full of long, bouncing, blowing in the wind hair - you know it is a joke - same for the men.

One of the reasons the French and English wore wigs in the past was because their hair was oily and ugly from not washing. Those people also stunk at that time from not bathing. That is one reason why the French were big into perfume. Didn't wash their hands after using the toilet and farted everywhere.

SevenSixtyTwo
06-30-2012, 17:44
One of the reasons the French and English wore wigs in the past was because their hair was oily and ugly from not washing. Those people also stunk at that time from not bathing. That is one reason why the French were big into perfume. Didn't wash their hands after using the toilet and farted everywhere.

They still do that in the Fla panhandle!:tongueout:

jdavionic
06-30-2012, 18:00
Here ya go.

Amazon.com: Bressant Manual Hand Clipper: Health & Personal Care (http://www.amazon.com/Bressant-Manual-Hand-Clipper/dp/B000N96A16/ref=sr_1_1?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1339849455&sr=1-1&keywords=Manual+Hair+Clippers)

I've been wanting to get these for some time. Just need to get them.

My hair is very short anyway - #1 clippers on sides & back, with #4 on top.

I would think that keeping your hair short will help keep you a little cleaner.

waawaaweenie
06-30-2012, 18:32
I went to the same girl for over 20 years and when she flaked out and stopped answering her phone, I bought a Wahl trimmer and just use the #2 guide

gimmejr
06-30-2012, 18:39
I dont want to know what Ill look like after 2 months of not shaving my dome.