2012 wheat harvest. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 2012 wheat harvest.

okie
06-14-2012, 07:24
Has the wheat harvest begun in your area? We should be winding down here in Oklahoma, I'm not sure how everything went, one farmer got 30-40 bushels per acre, if that's dry land that's not to bad, if it's irrigated it's pretty crappy. Over all I think this years harvest is looking a lot better than last year, which will make the farmers happy as hell:thumbsup:

elsolo
06-14-2012, 09:58
I remember when I first started working in big commercial bakeries fixing their equipment, the price of flour tripled in my first month on the job. Glad to hear wheat is more affordable this year.

blackjack
06-14-2012, 10:25
Okie, I travelled to my farm near Ellsworth KS over Memorial Day weekend. In normal years, it is typically being cut right about now. This year, however, I saw one farmer beginning to cut his place just outside of town. I also observed multiple combine operations going full tilt throughout southern KS along I-35 and I-135. When I got out to my place, I was amazed at how ripe it was and estimated it probably would be ready to cut within 10 days or less. I haven't checked with my farmer but unless some weather held them up, I bet most of the places around there have already been cut. It also looked like the yield would be pretty good.

okie
06-14-2012, 13:32
Okie, I travelled to my farm near Ellsworth KS over Memorial Day weekend. In normal years, it is typically being cut right about now. This year, however, I saw one farmer beginning to cut his place just outside of town. I also observed multiple combine operations going full tilt throughout southern KS along I-35 and I-135. When I got out to my place, I was amazed at how ripe it was and estimated it probably would be ready to cut within 10 days or less. I haven't checked with my farmer but unless some weather held them up, I bet most of the places around there have already been cut. It also looked like the yield would be pretty good.

I hope you get a good yield my friend:thumbsup:

Magnus2131
06-14-2012, 17:41
I've seen some cutting going on here in Ellis county Okie. Love seeing them purdy fields.

Tow/Repo
06-14-2012, 18:01
I've seen some cutting going on here in Ellis county Okie. Love seeing them purdy fields.

I'm two counties north of you. I would guess we're {farmers} about 65%done with wheat harvest.

farmer-dave
06-14-2012, 19:19
Harvest in central ks was better then expected for the drought. Seen pictures of harvest in western ks, looks horrible out there.

vart
06-14-2012, 19:51
Bad, bad Spring; some farmers still haven't been able to plant due to the soil being too wet...

In Idaho, not here...

okie
06-15-2012, 06:41
Harvest in central ks was better then expected for the drought. Seen pictures of harvest in western ks, looks horrible out there.

I'm happy for the central KS folk, it sucks for the Western KS folk:sadangel:

okie
06-15-2012, 06:42
Bad, bad Spring; some farmers still haven't been able to plant due to the soil being too wet...

In Idaho, not here...

Oh damn, that sucks bad, Travis:alex:

Inyo Tim
06-15-2012, 08:42
I remember my summers on wheat harvest as a teen. Driving a grain truck paid $10 a day and running a combine earned you $12. Some of those days were 16+ hours. The ability to function on little sleep served me well later in the service.

okie
06-15-2012, 08:56
I remember my summers on wheat harvest as a teen. Driving a grain truck paid $10 a day and running a combine earned you $12. Some of those days were 16+ hours. The ability to function on little sleep served me well later in the service.

My brother did that for a couple summers:supergrin:

GreenDrake
06-15-2012, 09:00
Been a great year this year in the Central Washington area.

blackjack
06-15-2012, 09:15
I hope you get a good yield my friend:thumbsup:

I got my statement from the co-op yesterday. Yielded 30.5 bushels/acre, right around what it usually gets - I was kind of hoping for a little better but I'm not disappointed. The first load went to the elevator on 5/28, two days after I was up there and about 2-3 weeks earlier than usual.

mymini40
06-15-2012, 09:17
Good luck with that, my friend.

Rancher
06-15-2012, 09:17
When I was a kid I remember the beautiful golden wheat and harvest time. Now it is this genetically modifed brown stuff that is half the height of what it once was. My family still farms about 7K acres in NE Oklahoma and SE Kansas.

The equipment now used to beyond cool as it is so efficient. Tractors with GPS systems for planting. No more un-even rows, they almost drive themself except for the turn at the end of the row. On board computers used to track each acre of each field to determine exactly how many busshels each acre yields.

I'm really hoping for a bumper corn harvest. It may get feed prices down for us ranchers but we have learned once things go up seldom do they go back down.

I miss the old days! I don't miss the work of harvest, it was rewarding but long, hot, and stressful. Not so much for me as a kid but it rubbed off from the family. However once it was in the sigh of relief was an awesome feeling.

Rancher

okie
06-15-2012, 09:47
When I was a kid I remember the beautiful golden wheat and harvest time. Now it is this genetically modifed brown stuff that is half the height of what it once was. My family still farms about 7K acres in NE Oklahoma and SE Kansas. Rancher
Damn, we had 960 acres and I thought we had a big farm. Guess not:embarassed::rofl:

tmerritt530
06-15-2012, 09:47
My uncles' wheat yielded quite well this year in sumner co.

Several fields were high 50 Bu. per acre and test weights were 63's

Had me running it to the co-op in town much more often.

okie
06-15-2012, 09:48
I got my statement from the co-op yesterday. Yielded 30.5 bushels/acre, right around what it usually gets - I was kind of hoping for a little better but I'm not disappointed. The first load went to the elevator on 5/28, two days after I was up there and about 2-3 weeks earlier than usual.

That's not too bad at all my friend:supergrin:

okie
06-15-2012, 09:50
My uncles wheat yielded quite well this year in sumner co.

Several fields were high 50 Bu. per acre and test weights were 63's

Is that dry land or irrigated? If that dry land that's an awesome yield:thumbsup:

tmerritt530
06-15-2012, 10:03
Is that dry land or irrigated? If that dry land that's an awesome yield:thumbsup:

Dry! Last couple of years have been down in the low 30s and high 20's.

Glad to see a decent year. Also glad we cut like wild and got all the "good" fields cut before the hail. Some fields were over 60 percent gone. Nice to have the good yield to minimize that loss.

okie
06-15-2012, 10:07
Dry! Last couple of years have been down in the low 30s and high 20's.

Glad to see a decent year. Also glad we cut like wild and got all the "good" fields cut before the hail. Some fields were over 60 percent gone. Nice to have the good yield to minimize that loss.

Our farm was in South West KS and I have never heard of yields that good on dry land. That's awesome my friend:thumbsup:

tmerritt530
06-15-2012, 10:49
Our farm was in South West KS and I have never heard of yields that good on dry land. That's awesome my friend:thumbsup:

Rains were just right!

Rancher
06-15-2012, 10:51
Damn, we had 960 acres and I thought we had a big farm. Guess not:embarassed::rofl:

It has grown a lot since I was a kid 30-40 years ago. As equipment got bigger and better more land could be worked with the same number of people so acerage continues to increase.

With all the fracking that is going on in the area farm ground is getting hard to come by. Not much to be bought now as the investors have long since grabbed it up.

Rancher

Old School
06-15-2012, 12:28
Good post. I remember growing up in Eastern NC that the farmers who had a good tobacco crop would get new trucks. They would drive into town for a movie (or similar) and creep along pretty slow so everyone would notice.

So much of that is gone. Government crop quotas, immigrant labor and tobacco is basically a dirty word.

I miss those days.

Inyo Tim
06-15-2012, 14:02
Been a great year this year in the Central Washington area.
I remember driving north out of the Tri-Cities into the Washington wheat country when the wheat was nearing harvest time. Dryland wheat that looked 60 bushel. Perfect volcanic ash soil and winter snow and spring rains at perfect intervals, year after year.