Checklists. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Checklists.

Bolster
06-14-2012, 13:12
I am reading a fascinating book, "The Checklist Manifesto," written by a surgeon.

The author shows (well supported by data) how checklists are tremendously helpful in saving lives in hospitals. Simple checklists, of procedures that doctors and nurses already know by heart, are used to make certain procedures are completed the way they should be. Some surgeons hate them because they're "insulting to the intelligence" and take time to go through. But the research shows they save lives--lots of lives--because it's common for surgeons to inadvertently skip a step here or there. (Even surgeons are human, it appears.)

Then the author explains the birth of the pre-flight checklist, instituted after an early Flying Fortress crash. Previous to that, a pilot would no more have thought of consulting a list, than an auto driver would think of consulting a list before pulling out of a driveway. Now, the airline industry is run on lists of procedures. What happens when the pilot hears a big "bang" at 30K feet? First thing he does is pull out a checklist.

Now, how about us preppers. Has anyone looked at prepping from the point of view of checklists? I know they're implied a lot, but does anyone know of a set of procedural checklists that exist, for SHTF situations? If so, can you share?

It would be nice to have a collection of prep-oriented or emergency-action checklists referenced in one thread. Not just "stuff to have" like a BOB gear list, but also "things to do," and in what order.

Bolster
06-14-2012, 13:22
Just occurred I made a POWER OUTAGE checklist for myself a year or so ago, and posted it on my water heater. We regularly lose power around here if there's wind or rain, so when that's the case, I follow this list:

Cell phones charged.
Laptops charged & backed up.
Turn off peripherals: router, modem, printer, HDs.
Batteries for flashlights charged.
Batteries for tools charged (Makita, Hitachi)
Batteries for Ham radio charged.
Laundry cleaned and dried.
Dishwasher run.
Food prepared.
Purchase bag of ice for refrigerator.
Gas tanks in cars filled.
Rain spout extensions in place.
Turn off lawn watering.

Please suggest improvements, and add lists of your own.

Bolster
06-14-2012, 15:28
I never was able to download these emergency aid lists or find anything like them.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/60700830/First-Aid-Flow-Chart#

EDIT: Got it. Want a copy? Post a useful list or link in this thread then PM me.

G29Reload
06-14-2012, 18:06
Prior to the list there are…mottoes?

IE, the flight clipboard in the aviation environment is a huge standard and good comparison.

However, there are some exigent circumstances where, time to read a checklist or search a clipboard just isnt' feasible. Things are happening too fast.

for really dangerous things, lost of instruments, explosions, etc, its Fly first, navigate second, communicate 3rd. In that order.

Gain control of the aircraft if you've lost it. Don't hit that mountain, don't corkscrew that field…keep her in attitude, gain altitude, avoid other aircraft.

Then find out where the heck you are.

Then call.

Sometimes 2 and 3 are reversed.

A similar OODA loop should occur when encountering bad guys on the street. No check list, all mental. Warn, come diagonally backward off the line while drawing, seek cover, if no cover concealment, fire while moving, don't stop or you're a target, if you're not shooting you're reloading, etc.

The power failure thing for me is mental. They can happen too fast. Its 3 p on a hot summer afternoon. Grey building ominously to the west. Radio weather is warning. EBS might have chirped on the TV.

1. If you've been sitting around the house all day and havent taken a shower yet, do it NOW. Sh#$ Shower Shave.

2. Fill the 2-flush 5 gal bucket up with water in the tub.

3. Pre-grind tomorrows espresso.

4. Get the gas camp stove out.

5. Load the cooler with ice and start pre-chilling cans of soda.

6. Make sure all the laundry is done and RUN THE DISHWASHER!

7. Fill all the clean pots and pans on the stove with clean tap water.

8. Make sure the radio is charged up. Make sure the flashlight can be found.

That's what I want. Cool. clean. Cold beverages, water for flushing, all the hygiene items and coffee to start the next morning. I'll keep the tv and radio on till the power actually fails, then kill all but the DVR and sat gear which stays on UPS so I don't miss anything programmed.

Radio can roll on batteries.

That's my list. Most of what I need lists for are mental.

G29Reload
06-14-2012, 18:11
For power failures, everyone needs several of these:

http://s7d5.scene7.com/is/image/Staples/s0355811_sc7?$lnk$

Shop around, get the biggest you can at the cheapest.

Great for running a small table lamp
Charging a cell phone
Running a laptop with USB stick so you can communicate with the outside world.
running the coffee grinder for a few seconds, etc.

Always plugged in and charged, by default. No worry.

I have one for my nightstand…clock radio no blinky! Ever! Will run it for 4 days. Never miss work.

Another for an end table lamp in the LR. Several nights light.

HEC. DVR, TV, sat box, etc.

Bolster
06-14-2012, 18:40
That's my list. Most of what I need lists for are mental.

Good list. Using yours to mod mine a little.

About the "my list is mental" part, that's exactly what the Checklist Manifesto is about...taking surgeons who used mental checklists and giving them (actually, making them use) a paper one. Amazing results from controlled studies, bordering on unbelievable. You'll have to read it and decide for yourself.

Haven't seen anyone mentioning checklists for gunfights, the need for action would certainly preside. But mid-flight problems? Commercial pilots run all but the most immediate off checklists these days. Don't know about EMTs, do they checklist or not?

UneasyRider
06-14-2012, 18:53
I have always been a list guy and still am. For instance every day I make a list in the morning of all the things that I want to do today.

I used checklists when my wife and I were spending summers doing road trips on the Goldwing motorcycle (school teacher perk for her) and we would refine our list after every trip adding and deducting what was needed and what wasn't. We took the same gear for a weekend as we did for 6 weeks on the road. Could never have done it without writing it down as a checklist of what to bring along.

I learned to carry a mini USB flashdrive and a mini flashlight on my keychain from FerFal. The flashdrive has copies of every document that you can imagine needing if your house burned to the ground and the flashlight gets used at least once a week usually to someones surprise and pleasure, often mine.

quake
06-15-2012, 06:02
Definitely; if it's not written down, it almost doesn't exist to me anymore. Checklists, instructions, whatever. This past wednesday night I made an updated list of all firearms owned by me, my wife, and my sons; strictly so see what 'extras' might be around for other family members & friends if needed. Earlier this week I made up lists (and then combined them) of LTS food put back in two different locations, mainly to verify 'balance' of what's stored in the different locations.

I even carry post-its in my truck to remind me of things I need to do/get/remember.

bdcochran
06-15-2012, 07:23
What is that item that is in the picture? Thank you.

Bolster
06-15-2012, 07:45
http://www.apc.com/

Battery backup units

kirgi08
06-15-2012, 07:56
Very handy short ta mid term.'08.

RWBlue
06-15-2012, 09:23
[QUOTE=Bolster

It would be nice to have a collection of prep-oriented or emergency-action checklists referenced in one thread. Not just "stuff to have" like a BOB gear list, but also "things to do," and in what order.[/QUOTE]

I think you are correct.

I need to get a ITIL cert. As part of the cert it talks about going back after an event and going over what happened. Making a checklist would be part of this step.

Actually using the checklist.....I think it depends.....but making it is a learning process for me at work.

RWBlue
06-15-2012, 09:43
For power failures, everyone needs several of these:

http://s7d5.scene7.com/is/image/Staples/s0355811_sc7?$lnk$

Shop around, get the biggest you can at the cheapest.

Great for running a small table lamp
Charging a cell phone
Running a laptop with USB stick so you can communicate with the outside world.
running the coffee grinder for a few seconds, etc.

Always plugged in and charged, by default. No worry.

I have one for my nightstand…clock radio no blinky! Ever! Will run it for 4 days. Never miss work.

Another for an end table lamp in the LR. Several nights light.

HEC. DVR, TV, sat box, etc.

I still question if I need a true sine wave or not.

Additionally, ups batteries don't last (not running, but just plugged into the wall storing power, waiting to be needed) very long. 3-5 years.

Although I like ups for allowing me to finish what I am doing, I would rather have a longer lasting system for an extended outage.

Dexters
06-15-2012, 10:04
It would be nice to have a collection of prep-oriented or emergency-action checklists referenced in one thread. Not just "stuff to have" like a BOB gear list, but also "things to do," and in what order.

I'm a big believer in check list and Things to Do lists. They are a great time saver and you can add and subtract from them as you learn.

Whenever you see a person who does not teach from a check list or if an employee does not take notes - you know there will be a problem. People forget and misunderstand.

When I was working and was holding a meeting; I would provide them with the discussion points and their 'to do' so that there were no misunderstanding.

As to SHTF the lessons are the same. The people with a written plan, can communicate it and have people follow it will succeed.

I'd say the above will probably be the greatest failure of the preppers here. Generally, they are introverted loaners - not a good combination when you need to organize people.

Bolster
06-16-2012, 16:33
So, lists generally a good idea.

What lists need to be produced? Sources for them?

Power Going Out list
Food Storage list
10 minutes to leave list
1 hr to leave list
BOB contents list (lots of these here at GT-S/P)
Earthquake list
Nuke list
First Aid list (s)
... what else?

RWBlue
06-16-2012, 21:56

Power Going Out list
Food Storage list
10 minutes to leave list
1 hr to leave list
Earthquake list
Nuke list
First Aid list (s)
... what else?

I guess I could go back to my risk assessment worksheet and make lists and procedures, but I will probably not.

Bolster
06-16-2012, 23:31
I guess I could go back to my risk assessment worksheet and make lists and procedures, but I will probably not.

LOL, OK, but if you think of any list topics please post them up. I have a distant goal of having lists for everything prep related.

Aside from G29, nobody's submitting any list ideas, so this thread is probably about dead. I should have known better; it's too practical. If I'd posted on something bloody and messy like "what's your favorite bludgeoning instrument" or "which caliber makes the most gore" I'd have tons of material by now. Wrong question, wrong forum.

tc556guy
06-17-2012, 02:42

Part of the problem is that a checklist will be specific to each persons equipment, plans and the specific emergency that is being faced.
Not that you can't steal ideas from other peoples lists. Better to do that than re-invent the wheel

Dexters
06-17-2012, 06:56

Power Going Out list
Food Storage list
10 minutes to leave list
1 hr to leave list
Earthquake list
Nuke list
First Aid list (s)
... what else?

My lists don't work like that.
I have an inventory list with current quantity and minimum level for food, medical, ammo etc

I have a GHB list - what is included.

Then I have a To Do list for the beginning of the event e.g. if at home, fill up all containers with water etc.

Good Idea List - I don't have one of these - e.g. shower, shave, wash clothes at every opportunity in case water is turned off

Bolster
06-17-2012, 10:36
Then I have a To Do list for the beginning of the event e.g. if at home, fill up all containers with water etc.

That's what I need the most..."what to do when" lists... care to share your "event beginning" list so I can steal...uh, learn from it?

RWBlue
06-17-2012, 11:21
LOL, OK, but if you think of any list topics please post them up. I have a distant goal of having lists for everything prep related.

Aside from G29, nobody's submitting any list ideas, so this thread is probably about dead. I should have known better; it's too practical. If I'd posted on something bloody and messy like "what's your favorite bludgeoning instrument" or "which caliber makes the most gore" I'd have tons of material by now. Wrong question, wrong forum.

Have fun making plans and building lists.
Tornado
Snow storm
Ice storm
House fire
Wild Fire
Earthquake
Hurricane
Flood (flash and long duration)
Hail
Mud/Land slide
Vulcano
Asteroids
Drouth
Heat wave
Sandstorm/dust
Tsunami
Sunspots (heavy magnetic fields)
Ozone hole
Methane clathrates
Animal/insect plague
Lightning
Water table depletion

Dirty Bomb
Full Nuclear attack
EMP attack

Train wreck dumping chemicals
Chemical attack

Natural viruses
Plane Crash
Car crash
Car theft
Car jacking
Mugging
Petty theft
Vandalism
Home invasion
Identity theft
Global warming
Global Cooling
Government out of control (confiscation, invation of privacy, ..)
water table contamination
Inflation
Loss of job
Peak Oil recession
Housing crash

Famine
Inflation
Loss of job

If you come up with anything else, let me know.

G29Reload
06-17-2012, 13:02
Good list. Using yours to mod mine a little.

In my case, both now and most of the past dozen years, I've lived in a rural environment where I'm on a well.

So, no power, no water! There might be some pressure left in the line but its about enough to take a quick shower or maybe just wash your hands.

City dwellers on gravity feed municipal systems usually have it easier, though it depends how they're set up. Same for analog POTS, the phone still works and you get a dial tone even though the power is out, though it falls to WHY the power is out. If a pole is down cause some drunken redneck took it out with his car, the phone lines can be out too. This is where its great to have cellular, and that's all I have now, no landline in almost 4 years.

G29Reload
06-17-2012, 13:06
Additionally, ups batteries don't last (not running, but just plugged into the wall storing power, waiting to be needed) very long. 3-5 years.

That's actually pretty good! In fact that's about what a car battery lasts nowadays.

Reminds me though, I got a main unit hooked up to the HEC that's been chirping with a Replace Battery alarm. They're not hard to get from a local battery shop. About 8AH.

AK_Stick
06-17-2012, 13:59
Prior to the list there are…mottoes?

IE, the flight clipboard in the aviation environment is a huge standard and good comparison.

However, there are some exigent circumstances where, time to read a checklist or search a clipboard just isnt' feasible. Things are happening too fast.

for really dangerous things, lost of instruments, explosions, etc, its Fly first, navigate second, communicate 3rd. In that order.

Gain control of the aircraft if you've lost it. Don't hit that mountain, don't corkscrew that field…keep her in attitude, gain altitude, avoid other aircraft.

Then find out where the heck you are.

Then call.

Sometimes 2 and 3 are reversed.

Weeeeellll, not really.

When you're flying alone maybe. In a multi-pilot/flight crew airplane, the pilot on the controls will fly the plane, the other pilot/crew will go through the checklist/emergency procedures.

I have checklists for most of my "big" evolutions.

Hunting trips, vehicle PMCS for long trips, spring/fall vehicle PMCS for the following season, prepping the house for winter etc.

Very handy, and only as overly complicated as you make them.

Dexters
06-17-2012, 14:11
That's what I need the most..."what to do when" lists... care to share your "event beginning" list so I can steal...uh, learn from it?

I'm traveling now and won't be home for awhile so I can't post it.

Here is the concept. Let's say it is for a GHB and you are at work and have estimated you will need at least 1 night of sleep before you get home.

You have an inventory list of what is in you GHB. This is important because wilderness rescuers have found people dead when they had what they needed in their pack - cold and stress creates cloudy thinking. So, when in trouble, you can pull out the list and think 'what can I use?'

Then you have a To Do List e.g.
Call family & tell them what to do
Get extra food from candy machine
Fill up water bottles
Change office shoes to walking shoes
etc
Include everything - no matter how small, so nothing is forgotten

At home, lay out you plan in:
1st minutes
Ascertain situation
- Fire Threat?
- Security Threats
- Weather Threats
- etc
begin to fill up tubs with water
News

1st hours
Communications and organize with family - right near you - meaning your calm, informed demeanor and their doing something will keep everyone calm.

frozen food - OK or need to cook to preserve

1st day
personal hygiene
rest
eat
hydrate

1st night
security

1st week
Assessment
- personal health
- family mental & physical health

This is just the concept not the complete picture.

Now you will have to be prepared for a home and not home situations as you are pointing out.

AK_Stick
06-17-2012, 19:11

Well the biggest issue is, you haven't asked a question, with any frame of reference.

Give a scenario you'd like a checklist for, and we can generate one. Just ask, and well, you're kinda too broad to really pin down.

UneasyRider
06-17-2012, 19:23

How about a post your "Event" and "Checklist" so that you get a little help with all of your lists as well?

Bolster
06-17-2012, 20:13
Here's a list I've been working on, the 5-minute out-of-the-house grab list (couldn't do the whole list in 5):

1. [blank]
2. Cash +Checks
3. Wallet +Keys
4. Cell Phone* + Ham*
5. BOBs
6. [blank]
7. Computer
8. [blank]
9. Dog
10. Flashlights
11. Helmet +Hat
12. Shoes +Boots
13. Vest+ Jacket
14. Tools
15. Suitcase +Clothes
16. Sleeping Bags
17. 5-gal Waters
18. Spare Fuel (Gas)
19. Camp Stove
20. Scanner* + FRS*
21. Tent
22. Batteries*
23. Camera*
24. GPS*
25. *Chargers*

That's in order, for me. I'm certain the order is controversial, and possibly even the contents of the list is.

A couple of blanks in there as I don't care to broadcast to the world certain things I consider necessary.

Well the biggest issue is, you haven't asked a question, with any frame of reference.

Sorry you're confused.

AK_Stick
06-17-2012, 20:18
No, I add stuff as I see fit.

But I'm not above pointing out stupidity when, and as I see it.

Bolster
06-17-2012, 20:27
But I'm not above pointing out stupidity when, and as I see it.

I acknowledge your expertise in that area.

AK_Stick
06-17-2012, 20:36
Here's a list I've been working on, the 5-minute out-of-the-house grab list:

1. [blank]
2. Cash +Checks
3. Wallet +Keys
4. Cell Phone* + Ham*
5. BOBs
6. [blank]
7. Computer
8. [blank]
9. Dog
10. Flashlights
11. Helmet +Hat
12. Shoes +Boots
13. Vest+ Jacket
14. Tools
15. Suitcase +Clothes
16. Sleeping Bags
17. 5-gal Waters
18. Spare Fuel (Gas)
19. Camp Stove
20. Scanner* + FRS*
21. Tent
22. Batteries*
23. Camera*
24. GPS*
25. *Chargers*

A couple of blanks in there as I don't care to broadcast to the world certain things I consider necessary.

The longer I'm here, the more I get the impression you pop into threads just to start a fight. Question asked multiple times, with multiple frames of reference.

Well seeing as how, RWBlue, and UneasyRider pretty much said the same thing, I guess we're all just here to start a fight?

As for your list, its a good start, but very generic. When you get to things like "tools" do you already have a set list that goes there, or are you just in the grab everything that you might need frame of mind?

Personally, my check lists are more tailored to specifics. While you can go either way, my consideration was it may be someone else using my checklist to grab things. Say if I have to pull security, or I'm on my way there, and the wife/gf/brother etc is doing the loading.

I've never had to BO, I've done several assault missions, and a whole lot of other missions, where we go down the check list, and they've saved us alot of heart ache. When something happens, people get excited, aren't focused on what they're doing, and more on whats going on, and stuff gets missed.

Bolster
06-17-2012, 20:39
I'm traveling now and won't be home for awhile so I can't post it...

Yes, you get what I'm looking for exactly. You're way beyond where I am. Where you are is where I want to be...I basically want to "Dexterize" my lists. Looking forward to seeing how you engineer your lists, when you get the chance. Thanks!

rescuers have found people dead when they had what they needed in their pack.

I fear that could be me, because I had a "stupid" experience many years ago when I was a young man, but have never forgotten it: Driving between Hither and Yon, I get a flat. Go to change it out...socket for the lug nut missing!! Freak out, look everywhere, no find. Walk 2 miles to a Sears I can see in the distance and buy missing socket. Walk 2 miles back. Change tire. Get to destination. Go through toolbox, now I see I have TWO of the missing socket; the new one of 4 miles walking, and the original one I'd overlooked in a panic.

At that time I made a rule: look for a missing item up to 3 times with a complete layout of the gear. Done better since.

GLOCK17DB9
06-17-2012, 20:40
My wife is very big on checklists. She makes one every time we go on vacation to be sure that we have everything and that we have left her mother with all of the contact info if needed since she usually watches our dog. She is also insistent that I bring a checklist of things for my annual physical for my doctor, he loves it by the way.

Bolster
06-17-2012, 20:55
My wife is very big on checklists....

Isn't that a checklist I see in your sig line?

GLOCK17DB9
06-17-2012, 21:00
Isn't that a checklist I see in your sig line?

Good point!:whistling:

gosnmic
06-20-2012, 23:45
I think George Ure at UrbanSurvival.com puts together (i.e. organizes things into) 7 key survival areas: ....

· Food
· Shelter
· Communications
· Transportation
· Environmentals
· Energy
· And Finance.

You can do some good brainstorming/planning and checklists based on which of these areas are most important and/or which are needed from a given scenario ... I probably should hit that ordering on a paper print-out for down-the-road, but have some of the thought-train in my head currently........

Stevekozak
06-21-2012, 05:30
I think checklists are a good idea even in none emergency or SHTF situations. I arrived at camping spot this weekend for 72 hour training and found that I had somehow forgotten my truck tent. Spent two miserable nights in a tiny backpacking tube tent with very little ventilation. A checklist would have prevented this. Guess who will have a checklist for next month? :wavey:

UneasyRider
06-21-2012, 09:59
I think George Ure at UrbanSurvival.com puts together (i.e. organizes things into) 7 key survival areas: ....

· Food
· Shelter
· Communications
· Transportation
· Environmentals
· Energy
· And Finance.

You can do some good brainstorming/planning and checklists based on which of these areas are most important and/or which are needed from a given scenario ... I probably should hit that ordering on a paper print-out for down-the-road, but have some of the thought-train in my head currently........

Smart Guy!

UneasyRider
06-21-2012, 10:03
I think checklists are a good idea even in none emergency or SHTF situations. I arrived at camping spot this weekend for 72 hour training and found that I had somehow forgotten my truck tent. Spent two miserable nights in a tiny backpacking tube tent with very little ventilation. A checklist would have prevented this. Guess who will have a checklist for next month? :wavey:

If I had a nickel for every time that I left something at home... my wife is worse, when we get in the car to go somewhere I just wait an extra minute until she says "Oh, I forgot "X", I'll just run and get it." Your married long enough this stuff starts to seem normal. :shocked: I don't mind.

I make lists every day because "If I don't write it down it never happened!"

DrSticky
06-21-2012, 12:29
I have short lists I run through in my head often.

drop magazine
rack slide
open slide
check chamber
close slide
point in safe direction
pull trigger/drop hammer
pick up round
insert into magazine
insert magazine into pistol

I store my pistols Amber and carry Red, so it is my nightly unloading checklist. I use others like Tap-Rack-Bang and SPORTS. I find using them increases accuracy under pressure.

leadcounsel
07-17-2012, 01:22
I think the lists would basically be "stay" or "go" lists with some pre-determined "rational" thought out reasons to "stay" or "go."

Then flow charts and lists whether you stay or go.

RWBlue
07-17-2012, 09:17
I think the lists would basically be "stay" or "go" lists with some pre-determined "rational" thought out reasons to "stay" or "go."

Then flow charts and lists whether you stay or go.

That is part of my Risk Matrix.

Event = Stay or go