Barnes 125 grain TAC-XP .400 all copper bullets [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Barnes 125 grain TAC-XP .400 all copper bullets

2450paul
06-14-2012, 21:18
Any of you loaders tried any loads around this bullet? Seems to me a pill this light could be made to "sing" in the 10mm without all the crazy pressures I've been hearing about taking chances of damaging pistols and appendages.

dm1906
06-15-2012, 00:01
The 125's are too long, too light, and too weak (structurally). You can nearly double the bullet energy with the 155's, with sane pressures. I have a few recipes, but will only share with experienced handloaders. The loading process is a little out of the norm (and a bit counterintuitive in some respects), but I get phenomenal results, for what it is. Respectable bullet energy, good terminal performance and very accurate. I hunt in CA (no lead), so it became a necessity. Retail Barnes rounds (any of them, without exception) are a liability for all but the two-legged critters.

2450paul
06-15-2012, 09:13
I will be using a 10" IGB Austria. I'm not sure of the rate of twist(pretty much stuck with what they use). I believe the 10" will stabilize a 125 gr. Also, I want to experiment with the 125 gr. to see what kind or range I can get with a load comparable to the original Norma loading. I think loads hotter than the Norma are not necessary and lighter weight bullets do have a function. When you say too weak are the .125s deforming before impact. Remember, I'm looking for range not knock down. What do you think? Thanks for yor reply and your time, Paul

dm1906
06-15-2012, 11:08
You can't get there from here. The light/long bullet won't get close to Norma power. The original Norma load was a 200 gr. bullet at 1200 FPS. You'll be lucky to get that 125 up to 12-1300, which falls well short on energy. At the velocities you'll see with these bullets, they should stabilize. I haven't experienced any of them coming apart in flight. The 140 is slightly better, and the 155 is much better. The length of the bullets vary less than the corresponding weight, so there's a length vs. mass advantage with their heavier bullets. The 125 and 140 will shoot about the same velocity at similar pressures. I didn't actually dissect the rounds, but the measurements and "feel" indicate the forward mass of the bullets increase as they get larger. This indicates more copper up front and a stronger bullet. It also accounts for the nonlinear length increase.

In regards to stability, Barnes has some cautions with some bullets. I don't recall any for the 10mm's. If you'll provide the bullet measurements and actual (weighed) weight, I'll calculate the actual minimum twist rate for that bullet. I need the actual diameter, length and weight. An average of 10 would be ideal. I don't have any 125's here, only the 155's.

If the twist rate info wasn't included with your barrel, you'll have to contact IGB (it isn't posted on their site), or measure it yourself. Use a stiff, tight fitting brush on a cleaning rod, insert it from the breach end until you feel resistance of the throat, mark the rod at a reference point (for rotation and length) and slowly push through, allowing it to rotate. Stop at one turn, or as soon as the brush begins to exit the muzzle. Mark, then measure the insertion length (you cannot use the advertised barrel length, as it not all rifled). Calculate the twist rate at inches per one turn, or provide the numbers and I'll calculate. Crude, but simple, and close enough for what you need to know. It probably won't be close to critical, but certainty has value.

2450paul
06-15-2012, 13:24
Thanks for the info, I will contact IGB Austria and find out the rate of twist. Thanks again, Paul

_The_Shadow
06-15-2012, 17:52
There were a few who tested and reported the use of the 125 Barnes in the 10mm Reloading section...I did some test with the 140 grain Barnes and yes they are long for their weight with the 100% copper being lighter than the lead filled counter parts.
Try looking thru this area...
http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=918948

Yondering
06-16-2012, 10:22
If you're trying to get max velocity (and range) why are you looking at a Barnes all copper bullet, that minimizes case capacity? Totally the wrong choice.

Try the Nosler 135's, you'll get much higher velocity than anything you can do with those Barnes bullets. Most of the 155gr bullets will do the same.

2450paul
06-18-2012, 09:46
You can't get there from here. The light/long bullet won't get close to Norma power. The original Norma load was a 200 gr. bullet at 1200 FPS. You'll be lucky to get that 125 up to 12-1300, which falls well short on energy. At the velocities you'll see with these bullets, they should stabilize. I haven't experienced any of them coming apart in flight. The 140 is slightly better, and the 155 is much better. The length of the bullets vary less than the corresponding weight, so there's a length vs. mass advantage with their heavier bullets. The 125 and 140 will shoot about the same velocity at similar pressures. I didn't actually dissect the rounds, but the measurements and "feel" indicate the forward mass of the bullets increase as they get larger. This indicates more copper up front and a stronger bullet. It also accounts for the nonlinear length increase.

In regards to stability, Barnes has some cautions with some bullets. I don't recall any for the 10mm's. If you'll provide the bullet measurements and actual (weighed) weight, I'll calculate the actual minimum twist rate for that bullet. I need the actual diameter, length and weight. An average of 10 would be ideal. I don't have any 125's here, only the 155's.

If the twist rate info wasn't included with your barrel, you'll have to contact IGB (it isn't posted on their site), or measure it yourself. Use a stiff, tight fitting brush on a cleaning rod, insert it from the breach end until you feel resistance of the throat, mark the rod at a reference point (for rotation and length) and slowly push through, allowing it to rotate. Stop at one turn, or as soon as the brush begins to exit the muzzle. Mark, then measure the insertion length (you cannot use the advertised barrel length, as it not all rifled). Calculate the twist rate at inches per one turn, or provide the numbers and I'll calculate. Crude, but simple, and close enough for what you need to know. It probably won't be close to critical, but certainty has value.

IGB informed me the rate of twist will be 1 in 16".

Thanks everybody for all the info, Paul