G34 vs. XDM 5.25 comp? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : G34 vs. XDM 5.25 comp?

Triton225
06-15-2012, 14:45
Looking for some input from those that have owned/shot both in some type of competition. Try to be unbiased.:whistling: I'm considering buying one or the other to try my hand in some type of matches, and would like to start out with a pistol (stock) meant to be used that way. Pros/cons you encountered with both.

DustyDawg48
06-15-2012, 14:57
I like the G34 over the 5.25. The Springfield is a very good gun for those that like that style of gun. I think the slide is already too tall and then the sights just make it that much taller. All the goodies are all ready available for the G34 and with the Springfield being new finding holsters for that might prove to be a bit of a pain depending on the style of competition you are looking to do. In IDPA it might be tougher to find the right holster for your Springfield where the Glock has a plethora of holsters to choose from.

The Glock might just suffer from being 'old news' and I would probably rather have a Gen3 over a Gen 4 because I don't personally like the aggressive grip on the Gen4. If I want it to be aggressive, I'll add the tape to make it so. The Springfield is the choice to make if you like a 1911-style pistol since it tends to mimic that it the way it feels in your hand.

On a side note, I'm now away from those 2 platforms and on to the M&P and I think I like the M&P best of all, FWIW.

Spiffums
06-17-2012, 06:15
SSP vs ESP........for some it is a deal breaker. I have a G34 and I fondled and molested a XD at the gunshop. It did feel better in my hand which has me thinking.

waktasz
06-17-2012, 09:47
Try to shoot them both before you decide. Personally, I don't like the XD pistols at all.

ghawk249
06-17-2012, 10:02
Not exactly the best place to ask the question which is better XD or Glock.

Triton225
06-18-2012, 14:59
Not exactly the best place to ask the question which is better XD or Glock.

I know where I am, I asked the same at XDtalk. I just wanted some "opinions" from those that have shot both. I expect mostly glock favor here.

Colorado4Wheel
06-18-2012, 15:31
If you want to shoot IDPA at all shoot the G34. If it's USPSA then ignore everyone's advice (except mine and advice like mine) and shoot or fondle both and pick the one that feels the best. Everything else is tuneable. Don't forget the M&P. That is a very nice option as well.

TKOL
06-20-2012, 05:35
advice like mine

The XDm will have a pretty awful trigger out of the box no matter what Springfield wants to call it. So will the M&P and the Glock 34. Small changes can be made to all 3 guns to make them have very good triggers.

With a Glock it is a simple parts change.

The XDm it is a little more involved and there are several manufacturers devoted to new parts with different angles and spots to file or you can just send the gun and 150$(or so) to get a "perfect" trigger done for that gun.

The M&P was the easiest with no parts changes or spring swaps and just the Burwell trigger job made my old one feel very nice.

I have since gone completely Glock and have stopped using anything else mostly because the Glock 17 G4 I have was won at a Rock your Glock match. I did nothing to it but change the connector and install Sevigny Competition sights.

Wash-ar15
06-20-2012, 09:50
I see more 34's and MP's in my area in comps than anything else. I have shot the 5.25 and it a nice gun, but the price point is crazy. About 100- 150 more than G34 or 5'" MP Pro.

Also, as some has stated earlier, the XD's for whatever stupid reason have to run in ESP. I can run my 34 and MP pro in SSP/ESP and even run my MP45 in CDP.

That said, i am still on the lookout for a good deal on a 5.25 just to collect all the long slide models.

And FN is supposed to be coming out with a long slide FNS also

waktasz
06-20-2012, 14:41
Springfield decided to classify it as a single action when they imported it from Croatia...so IDPA puts it into ESP.

You can shoot it in Production in USPSA if you like.

smokey45
06-25-2012, 14:43
The 5.25 is an excellent pistol. Most find the ergonomics to be better than Glocks. I also consider the CZs/1911s/Hi Powers to have even better ergos than the 5.25. Since my forced introduction to the Glock back in the 90s, I've put in my time learning to live with the Glock. I shoot USPSA and IDPA pretty much every weekend. I own several of the above types of pistols in addition to 4 Glocks. Most weekends, you'll find a Glock 35 in my holster. Mine is tuned to a measured 3.5# trigger with a crisp break (For a striker pistol) and zero over travel. I can shoot ESP with it one weekend, put the magwell back on and install the SS guide rod, grab the 140mm mags and shoot limited the next. Most who take the time to get to know the Glock are rewarded with a reliable, durable, pistol that's easy to shoot well. Anyone who can set a thermostat can replace any part in the gun. Which can be found just about anywhere, and cheap! I should also mention caliber conversion barrels, I have Lone Wolf 9mm conversion barrels for my Glock .40s. Comes in handy if I'm too lazy to keep up on my .40 reloading. I have a couple k 9mms loaded up that I can use for IDPA with just a barrel and mag change. Gotta love it!
You can't go wrong with either the XD or the Glock. Just consider all the factors before making a decision. There's more to the decision that how the gun feels in your hand.
Good Shooting!
s45

PEC-Memphis
06-28-2012, 13:49
Personal Opinion:

I like the lower bore axis of the G34/35.

The ergonomics of the 9L/Pro are very good - the best of the 3 mentioned.

I think the Springfield falls short in both comparisons.

I shoot the G34 (sometimes a 17 or 23) in IDPA and I'm used to it.

If I were just starting IDPA now, I'd probably go with the M&P - if I were left handed, I'd probably change to the M&P.

I own 34/17/23 and a slightly modified SSP 9L - I don't own a XDM. I have shot an XD enough to compare to a 17, and found that I liked the 17 better.