Favorite impact weapon? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Favorite impact weapon?

emt1581
06-15-2012, 19:08
I started a thread a few weeks ago on ASP's and I got mostly negative replies on them. Some saying they were nothing more than a flimsy excuse for a pipe.

So what do you prefer for an effective impact weapon?

Thanks

-Emt1581

uhlawpup
06-15-2012, 19:44
A pipe.

Cost effective, and not flimsy.

puckhead
06-15-2012, 20:06
whoever said that an ASP is flimsy, hasnt ever used an ASP.

Kenpo
06-15-2012, 20:37
Whoever said that an ASP is flimsy, hasnt ever been hit by an ASP.

itstime
06-15-2012, 20:48
Pr-24

RWBlue
06-15-2012, 21:48
I think my favorite impact weapon is a truck.

emt1581
06-15-2012, 21:52

That's more of a vehicle than a personal weapon....but I knew someone would throw it in.

All we need now is a brick response...

-Emt1581

TactiCool
06-15-2012, 22:01
http://www.instructables.com/image/FDA04K9FTTOTQW4/water-bottle-rocket-only-around-7.jpg

Because you can beat an assailant into a coma with it and carry it anywhere. And when properly executed, it is about as effective as an old-school sap.

Also, for the doubters, just remember that water is incompressible...

Angry Fist
06-15-2012, 22:02
Roll of nickles. $2.

UtahIrishman
06-15-2012, 22:16
I was going to say a four pound sledge hammer but I think a four foot pipe is a bit kinder.

RWBlue
06-15-2012, 22:16
That's more of a vehicle than a personal weapon....
-Emt1581

I guess it depends on how you drive.:supergrin:

Aceman
06-15-2012, 22:17
3 or 4 D cell Maglite has a certain sense of style about it.

thetoastmaster
06-15-2012, 22:19
Hickory cane.
Pistol butt.
11D Danner.
Elbow.

Angry Fist
06-15-2012, 22:21
http://i809.photobucket.com/albums/zz13/MO_FUGGAZ/Mace.jpg

SLO1911Fan
06-15-2012, 22:22
Sap/slapper, spring loaded lead weight slap, tire checker (cut down baseball bat with a lead weight), galvanized pipe, 4D cell maglight, tire iron...

Pick your poison. I've found a great number of things to make good impact weapons.

hillbillyhans
06-15-2012, 23:06
Smartphone to the ear. Knee to the common peroneal. Steel toe to the dome.

Bushflyr
06-15-2012, 23:35
400 grain .458 SOCOM. Makes a hell of an impact. :supergrin:

But a foot long piece of 1" copper cable does a number too. And doesn't look out of place on the floor of a truck.

bob_fuller
06-16-2012, 00:22
whatever is at hand and suitably heavy.

9mm +p+
06-16-2012, 00:25
Nada wrong with a properly used ASP, millions of criminals can't all be wrong. I've personally used them in action and they work, IF used properly.

SEARTraining
06-16-2012, 00:49
21" MEB

http://www.batons.com/autolock.html

It is not the caliber but the shot placement, it is not the impact tool but the strike placement. I know that is over simplifying it, but it is more true than not.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

lawman800
06-16-2012, 02:06
29" Dymondwood straight stick. Commands respect just by being visible.

PR-24. Very effective in the right hands.

3D Maglite. If already in hand, why waste time changing out?

Brass knuckles. Too bad they are banned here.

Sap gloves. Banned too.

Elbows. Knees. Fists. Feet. (Muay Thai, art of 8 limbs)

Cane. Walking stick. Lead pipe. Broom handle.

Comes down to what you are comfortable with and what you know how to use.

kirgi08
06-16-2012, 09:53
Asp,not the LW version.'08.

G19freak
06-16-2012, 10:05
Louisville Slugger-----gettin old school on your arse for 120 years.

Glockdude1
06-16-2012, 10:18

Whoever said that an ASP is flimsy, hasnt ever been hit by an ASP.

:agree:

M1A Shooter
06-16-2012, 10:39
i made the mistake of buying a knock-off chinese made "asp" and it bent backwards over a guys thigh and seemed to have no effect on him. quickly replaced it with a true asp and those work much better.

i still like the old school 3 or 4 D cell maglight. its what i still keep as a vehicle light.

ViennaGambit
06-16-2012, 11:21
I used to teach high school in Harlem, NYC before I moved to AZ last fall...

The impact weapon of choice, and most effective, was a simple padlock with or without a sock.

You can wrap your finger through a padlock and use it effectively to punch and smack, or you could throw it in a sock or attach to chain for a ridiculously hard hitting flail.

We had metal detectors and this was the most common weapon used in fights - the most odd being an all metal 3 hole punch :)

lawman800
06-16-2012, 11:35
Roll of quarters in a sock or just held in your fist as you punched worked well too, but yeah, the padlock is a great weapon. Bar of soap in a sock, oranges in a sock (also spills orange juice all over the victim), claw hammer, any hammer, big socket wrench, the Club (for cars), are all good improvised weapons.

Arvinator
06-16-2012, 12:03
As a cop, I wear on my duty belt a 21 inch ASP. While it works, my 26 inch straight baton works much better, and I keep it in my car and bail out with it on fight calls.
My PR-24 and a straight riot baton with a steel ball on each end can both work well, but they do not get out of my trunk often. If I HAD to use a impact weapon and was not a cop, I would get my 30 year old wooden baseball bat or a wooden pick handle. For the money, a wooden pick handle would be a "Best buy" as a club. Wrap some medical tape around the handle for a better grip and you could put up a heck of a fight if you knew what you were doing.

It it gets that bad that I would NEED a impact weapon in a home setting, I think I would grab my shotgun and let the trouble come to me. A earlier post made good sense about almost anything could serve as a improvised weapon.

jakebrake
06-16-2012, 12:04
axehandle

Warp
06-16-2012, 12:38
I don't have much use for an impact weapon. Don't have a favorite.

EMT: What is your use, intended actual or fantasy, for an impact weapon?

I suppose I wouldn't mind an asp, if legal.

mac66
06-16-2012, 13:21
2' length of garden hose filled with bird shot and closed at both ends

MODOC GLOCK
06-16-2012, 13:26
Pr-24

Ditto this....my Dept. uses the expandable versions

every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future. - Ludo

quake
06-16-2012, 16:42
Hard to argue with a 3-D maglite, steel asp, or section of large SE cable. Legalities have to be thought through carefully, and would personally steer me away from the asp on most cases. Not for functional reasons, but for courtroom reasons.

I've wondered about some of the "not-really-brass-knuckles" out there, like the 'belt buckle' version:
http://www.blade-empire.com/Brass_Knuckles/2_Finger_Brass_Knuckles-Black-thumbnail.jpg

or the 'bottle opener' version:
http://www.blade-empire.com/Brass_Knuckles/Bottle_Opener_Brass_Knuckles-Speckled-Medium-Black_and_White-thumbnail.jpg

Haven't tried them, but have wondered about them as a way of protecting my hands. I've got three fingers that have permanent damage to one degree or another; two of them directly from punching. Something that protects me while impacting 'them' seems like maybe a good thing. Frankly if there were no legal or courtroom considerations, plain old 'godfather' style knuckles look like a good approach, as they're thinner than many knucks and would actually be reasonably pocketable:
http://www.blade-empire.com/Brass_Knuckles/Mafia_Brass_Knuckles-Medium-Black-thumbnail.jpg

emt1581
06-16-2012, 18:24

As far as the use of an impact weapon, I see a few. First would be sound. If I can crush a skull or bust a windpipe without giving away my position I see that as a benefit. Now sure, a crossbow, blade, or garrote will do the same. But I figure if the more tools the better.

For my use, I do not fantasize. Well, maybe that the freeloaders get what's coming to them and for the system to right itself. But when it comes to harming/killing in defense my scenarios are hypothetical to plan for actual use. This is why I have spent the last 10-15yrs building a gigantic tool box of solutions. Other than that unicorn of a grenade/rocket which seems impossible for a civilian to obtain in this country...I'd imagine I have the capability to survive a plethora of defensive situations that most would not.

Now back to the topic at hand. As with everything else I LOVE versatility. That is, when a tool has more than one benefit, it makes me happy. So in this case, if I can find something compact yet easy to deliver a single incapacitating blow with...I'd be happy.

I already have a larger black jack. I've got a slapper. I have batons. A collection of knuckles. The blackjack seems like it'd do some serious damage. The slapper is just too awkward to grip IMHO. The batons I have are cheaper in quality but the cheapest would definitely do the job...just not quietly unless already extended.

So for that compact, yet single blow knockdown.... what's your pleasure?

-Emt1581

Warp
06-16-2012, 18:28
As far as the use of an impact weapon, I see a few. First would be sound. If I can crush a skull or bust a windpipe without giving away my position I see that as a benefit. Now sure, a crossbow, blade, or garrote will do the same. But I figure if the more tools the better.

For my use, I do not fantasize.

:rofl:

-Emt1581

A gun, because it's legal and has RANGE.

emt1581
06-16-2012, 18:31

You ask a question and then laugh at the answer? That does not seem polite for a GTer and if my memory serves me correctly it violates the TOS.

-Emt1581

Warp
06-16-2012, 18:33
You ask a question and then laugh at the answer? That does not seem polite for a GTer and if my memory serves me correctly it violates the TOS.

-Emt1581

Pretty sure that using a GT smiley is within GT TOS. Correct me if you believe otherwise.

PS: You didn't answer my question anyway.

emt1581
06-16-2012, 18:40
Pretty sure that using a GT smiley is within GT TOS. Correct me if you believe otherwise.

PS: You didn't answer my question anyway.

As with all things, the expression must be put into context. For example, if I said my daughter just died and someone left a :rofl: that would be rather offensive IMHO. Your decision to leave the same "smiley" at what I intended to be a genuine response seem to be equally as offensive....or did I say something funny that I may have forgotten about?

Or are you saying that in posting that "smiley" you meant no offense and just forgot to explain yourself?

As for answering your question, my position of planning for hypothetical situations, the same one might plan for say a home invasion by keeping a pistol by the bed, was the intended purpose. As of now I just know what capability I want., but not when/where or on who it may be used.

-Emt1581

DarkShooter
06-16-2012, 18:42
6 D cell Maglite, aluminum softball bat or short Stanley Fubar for me.

Warp
06-16-2012, 18:48
As of now I just know what capability I want., but not when/where or on who it may be used.

-Emt1581

That (you don't have an intended use) is the answer to the question I asked.

Ruble Noon
06-16-2012, 18:52

For my use, I do not fantasize. Well, maybe that the freeloaders get what's coming to them and for the system to right itself. But when it comes to harming/killing in defense my scenarios are hypothetical to plan for actual use. This is why I have spent the last 10-15yrs building a gigantic tool box of solutions. Other than that unicorn of a grenade/rocket which seems impossible for a civilian to obtain in this country...I'd imagine I have the capability to survive a plethora of defensive situations that most would not.

Now back to the topic at hand. As with everything else I LOVE versatility. That is, when a tool has more than one benefit, it makes me happy. So in this case, if I can find something compact yet easy to deliver a single incapacitating blow with...I'd be happy.

I already have a larger black jack. I've got a slapper. I have batons. A collection of knuckles. The blackjack seems like it'd do some serious damage. The slapper is just too awkward to grip IMHO. The batons I have are cheaper in quality but the cheapest would definitely do the job...just not quietly unless already extended.

-Emt1581

1911, you can shoot with it or use it as a bludgeon.

http://i981.photobucket.com/albums/ae291/Streetmaster45/DSC01949.jpg

quake
06-16-2012, 19:04
...http://i981.photobucket.com/albums/ae291/Streetmaster45/DSC01949.jpg

Detonics "Streetmaster"..? I'm a Detonics fan, but never seen that one before. Know the scoremaster & servicemaster, and have an old combatmaster, but not the streetmaster.

Is that new production, or from when Ahern owned them?

UneasyRider
06-16-2012, 19:12
I come up blank on this one. Out of the responses that I have read I will take a steel pipe about 3 feet long.

Ruble Noon
06-16-2012, 19:17
Detonics "Streetmaster"..? I'm a Detonics fan, but never seen that one before. Know the scoremaster & servicemaster, and have an old combatmaster, but not the streetmaster.

Is that new production, or from when Ahern owned them?

Yeah, it was made in Pendergrass Ga. I saw one of these in a Guns & Ammo annual and searched all over for one and finally found this one online, the first and only one that I have seen for sale. It is a 5 inch slide with an officers grip frame which for me makes it easier to conceal.

I take it you read the Survivalist series also?

quake
06-16-2012, 19:57
Yeah, it was made in Pendergrass Ga. I saw one of these in a Guns & Ammo annual and searched all over for one and finally found this one online, the first and only one that I have seen for sale. It is a 5 inch slide with an officers grip frame which for me makes it easier to conceal.

Interesting; never seen one before. I do recall in terminator two, she at one point had a 5" 1911 with the detonics' scalloped rear sight; not sure what grip size it was.

I take it you read the Survivalist series also?
I did; weird to think that it's more than 30 years ago now. Oy... :embarassed:

I know my combat master will never leave my family if I have my way. It's the only gun I've ever owned that I had personallized, having my last name engraved on it. (Took the jeweller four passes with a diamond bit - that's some hard steel.)

I just last year got it overhauled with new springs, link, and a handful of new-production magazines from www.detonicsdefense.com. The mags aren't quite as good as the originals, but I added wilson followers and they're good to go. Only had two originals (used full-size 1911 mags for spares for years), and the originals are ~30 years old or so, and they've just lived their life I guess...

That detonics website has parts you may want for yours; just be careful as there are different generations of detonics made in different factories, and to slightly different specs in some cases.

John Rambo
06-16-2012, 20:26
Hard to deny a good sturdy aluminum alloy baseball bat. No prepwork, no thinking, just swing for the bleachers. Whatever you hit ain't gonna have a good day.

tc556guy
06-17-2012, 02:53
Don't really have a use for one in a survival scenario.
Most of the young guys in LE I work with no longer carry one because theres no much other gear to carry.
When every ounce counts for survival gear, this is one of the first things I'd ditch

Cavalry Doc
06-17-2012, 10:54
http://lh3.googleusercontent.com/public/a6xs2xus50zHRtxrd2xPdLnC65bJPKLwYAx0cvRLCXFzUVaIyjH2nhFTD1xzF7OVw8YxU7hEorbJLopSyt-Nj3ISvTaap2CO2FvxvU2xhYsCZiKPocb-EivdAQKhU79bAuCnF2owTjOutCZynI5AlZxSpyaJZjuSzOxQLA

emt1581
06-17-2012, 11:06
http://lh3.googleusercontent.com/public/a6xs2xus50zHRtxrd2xPdLnC65bJPKLwYAx0cvRLCXFzUVaIyjH2nhFTD1xzF7OVw8YxU7hEorbJLopSyt-Nj3ISvTaap2CO2FvxvU2xhYsCZiKPocb-EivdAQKhU79bAuCnF2owTjOutCZynI5AlZxSpyaJZjuSzOxQLA

More of a component than a weapon. Even if you're using your hand or a slingshot...still a component.

-Emt1581

Berto
06-17-2012, 11:23
ASP collapsible baton and/or a good NY style bike lock.

mmorgret
06-17-2012, 11:28
My sons old Easton Stealth 26" t ball bat would work well! His new 31" Demarini would work well too, but you can't swing it good with one hand.

emt1581
06-17-2012, 11:30
ASP collapsible baton and/or a good NY style bike lock.

NY style bike lock?

Do you mean the thick chain ones or the U locks or what?

Thanks

-Emt1581

garyo
06-17-2012, 13:15
For us civies, it is best to have a good impact weapon that DOES NOT look like an impact weapon. I prefer my large D cell Mag lite or one of my many baseball bats. If you are pulled over and they are visible from the window, no big deal. But if an actual impact weapon is visible, it just my be a reason for a vehicle search. I am 55 and at my age it is all about being grey. No reason ever to advertise what you have or may have. If, there is ever a true SHTF type situation, then anything goes. Just my opinion.

Cavalry Doc
06-17-2012, 13:18
More of a component than a weapon. Even if you're using your hand or a slingshot...still a component.

-Emt1581

In the old neighborhood they were really tough, they didn't use guns, they inserted the bullets manually.

Berto
06-17-2012, 13:34
NY style bike lock?

Do you mean the thick chain ones or the U locks or what?

Thanks

-Emt1581

The U lock. They protect bike messengers in more ways than just locking the bike.

AK_Stick
06-17-2012, 13:41

-Emt1581

Against the TOS :rofl: Hardly.

Your answer was funny, not to you, but to the rest of us that, that was great.

TactiCool
06-17-2012, 13:46
Another one of my favorites:

http://www.davie-fl.gov/Pages/DavieFL_Programms/garbage/015AA579-000F8513.0/telephone%20books_books.jpg

Texas357
06-17-2012, 13:55
From the old CIA manual: typewriter to the back of the head (back when typewriters were on every desk).

I vote for nice solid cane/walking stick. I take my Cold Steel City Stick on a plane all the time.

mingaa
06-17-2012, 14:23
Always wanted and ASP but have never taken the budget and just done it. I have number of tools in the house, grounds and garage - my shillelagh should get a smile though - well chosen wood from a previous generation. I am an avid cyclist and keep a set of flat MTB bars in the car, not so obvious to the eye, strong for their weight and consequently strike with speed, tough to block AND due to their cylindrical construction jabs are effective and can penetrate—theoretically. Oh, good for auto glass break as well.
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5240/7388762020_c0215b0bd6_z.jpg http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5469/7388765234_2b0d3692c5_z.jpg
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5453/7388908524_836251d49f_z.jpg

mingaa
06-17-2012, 14:24
The U lock. They protect bike messengers in more ways than just locking the bike.
+1 that!!

Glockdude1
06-17-2012, 14:47

http://www.davie-fl.gov/Pages/DavieFL_Programms/garbage/015AA579-000F8513.0/telephone%20books_books.jpg

AT&T. Reach out and ......... :whistling:

BR549
06-17-2012, 14:58

-Emt1581

Are you legally allowed to own those weapons? Carry them in your car/on your bike? Conceal them on your person?

You have some imagination.

mingaa
06-17-2012, 15:09
As a cop, I wear on my duty belt a 21 inch ASP. While it works, my 26 inch straight baton works much better, and I keep it in my car and bail out with it on fight calls.
My PR-24 and a straight riot baton with a steel ball on each end can both work well, but they do not get out of my trunk often. If I HAD to use a impact weapon and was not a cop, I would get my 30 year old wooden baseball bat or a wooden pick handle. For the money, a wooden pick handle would be a "Best buy" as a club. Wrap some medical tape around the handle for a better grip and you could put up a heck of a fight if you knew what you were doing.

It it gets that bad that I would NEED a impact weapon in a home setting, I think I would grab my shotgun and let the trouble come to me. A earlier post made good sense about almost anything could serve as a improvised weapon.

Yes, it's realizing what is available and how it can help in an SD situation. I talked about bicycle handlebars in the car but totally forgot about "The Club" that I lock my steering wheel with daily AND that actually saved my ass once in NYC where I used to drive a truck (waaay back in the day!). A ball point pen in the throat will stop just about any attack with proper placement and purposeful delivery. The padlock story tells it all. What gets in the system and how was it made effective!

Texas357
06-17-2012, 15:33
In Texas, an ASP would be considered a club, illegal to carry. A 2' stick is an illegal weapon, a 3' stick is a cane and perfectly legal.

emt1581
06-17-2012, 16:50
Against the TOS :rofl: Hardly.

Your answer was funny, not to you, but to the rest of us that, that was great.

Rest of us? You mean the both of you?

Laughing at someone and not with them is rude.

Might want to check out XVII subsection 3. here...

http://www.glocktalk.com/terms.php

I can't say I ever remember either of you admitting when you're wrong and don't expect times to change now. But there is a first time for everything I suppose.

-Emt1581

emt1581
06-17-2012, 16:52
In the old neighborhood they were really tough, they didn't use guns, they inserted the bullets manually.

:shocked:

-Emt1581

emt1581
06-17-2012, 16:53

Oh ok, I see what you mean.

Thanks

-Emt1581

emt1581
06-17-2012, 16:55
Always wanted and ASP but have never taken the budget and just done it. I have number of tools in the house, grounds and garage - my shillelagh should get a smile though - well chosen wood from a previous generation. I am an avid cyclist and keep a set of flat MTB bars in the car, not so obvious to the eye, strong for their weight and consequently strike with speed, tough to block AND due to their cylindrical construction jabs are effective and can penetrate—theoretically.
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5240/7388762020_c0215b0bd6_z.jpg http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5469/7388765234_2b0d3692c5_z.jpg
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5453/7388908524_836251d49f_z.jpg

I always butcher the spelling but I brought one of those clubs back from Ireland when I was over there. I'd imagine it'd leave one heck of a mark if you got nailed with it.

-Emt1581

Cavalry Doc
06-17-2012, 17:11
:shocked:

-Emt1581

Small piece of pop culture.....

Season 1 / Episode 3: - Welcome Back (Pilot)
http://www.google.com/url?source=imglanding&ct=img&q=http://carbolicsmoke.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/mrkotter2.jpg&sa=X&ei=92PeT6y9L4ri2QWCnqHxBA&ved=0CAkQ8wc&usg=AFQjCNG0ta73Kxb6mz1TZbDjc96qOABvUQ
Gabe Kotter: James Buchanan is not anywhere. It's in Bensonhurst, which is in Brooklyn, which is where I spent four degenerate years as a student. You know how rough that is? The gangs there don't use guns. They insert the bullets manually.

That being said, .308 really is my favorite impact weapon. Up close, far away, either way, it works.

CitizenOfDreams
06-17-2012, 17:18
My favorite impact weapon? Why do you axe? :dunno:

emt1581
06-17-2012, 17:22
Small piece of pop culture.....

That being said, .308 really is my favorite impact weapon. Up close, far away, either way, it works.

Ha! I loved that show. :wavey:

-Emt1581

Glockdude1
06-17-2012, 17:26
My favorite impact weapon? Why do you axe? :dunno:

"I gots to know"

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-t8RfFiloD1c/Tc1lweTN4II/AAAAAAAAAsg/tjwIse4ww64/s1600/dirty+harry+i+gots+to+know.jpg

Great movie BTW!!

AK_Stick
06-17-2012, 18:24
Rest of us? You mean the both of you?

Might want to check out XVII subsection 3. here...

http://www.glocktalk.com/terms.php

I can't say I ever remember either of you admitting when you're wrong and don't expect times to change now. But there is a first time for everything I suppose.

-Emt1581

Calling you dumb would be rude. Laughing at you for saying something obviously silly isn't rude.

But thats ok, you can think I'm just a big meanie, I'm ok with that too.

auto-5
06-17-2012, 18:27
Has Indiana Jones taught us nothing?

Link

jakebrake
06-17-2012, 18:30

personally? pa and n.j. do not have reciprocity for lt.c.c.. so i keep a "tire club" (a.k.a. axehandle) in my cab. figure i go to a.c. and or camden once a week, and have c.o.d. deliveries.

AK_Stick
06-17-2012, 18:43
I carry a Stanley FUBAR forcible entry tool on my crash bag, and I used to have a STRIDER crash axe.

Both work exceptionally well as impact weapons. I've taken bullet proof glass out of humvee windows with the FET, and punched holes in aircraft with the CA.

BR549
06-17-2012, 21:05

-Emt1581

So...doing something that does not seem polite violates TOS???.....

Maybe you should be careful discussing your intentions related to prohibited weapons that you profess to own...

TactiCool
06-17-2012, 21:37
So...doing something that does not seem polite violates TOS???.....

Maybe you should be careful discussing your intentions related to prohibited weapons that you profess to own...

Or maybe it's time for a hurt feelings report? :whistling:

I kid, I kid... :supergrin:

TangoFoxtrot
06-18-2012, 04:29
Patrol night stick, ASP, blackjack, 36" oak club. They all work if you need to break a knee cap or put someones lights out.

wjv
06-18-2012, 12:02
nunchucks

And yes, it does take a LOT of practice (and self inflicted bruises) to learn how to use them.

thetoastmaster
06-18-2012, 13:17
Are you legally allowed to own those weapons? Carry them in your car/on your bike? Conceal them on your person?

You have some imagination.

Not completely off-topic: not illegal (yet) in Utah.

BR549
06-18-2012, 15:14
Not completely off-topic: not illegal (yet) in Utah.

Good for Utah. :wavey:

However, a cursory review of PA law indicates that items professed to be owned by the OP are illegal in "Penn's Woods". Exceptions to the statute have been voided for the OP via posting on the internet what the plans are for the items.

The reason I asked the question is to help the OP make wise(r) decisions related to the subject matter of this thread. :whistling:

JAS104
06-18-2012, 15:16

+1. Not to mention the metallic 'clack' of it deploying has impressive psychological value.
Something like an officer saying "Dont **** around." lol
-J :cowboy:

mac66
06-18-2012, 15:58

"Book 'em Dano"

Back in the day it was not uncommon in some police departments to treat unruly prisoners with "the book". The term "book 'em Dano" became a euphemism for a knock up side the head with one. Not always a phone book, sometimes the big, heavy booking log book was used.

TactiCool
06-18-2012, 17:23
Impact weapons for the style oriented end-user:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_GvzwcoWdPKE/TUpu3hqsvSI/AAAAAAAAAAg/LbQ2R7s7pEc/s1600/tool_case.jpg

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Callaway-Big-Bertha-Warbird-Driver-Golf-Club/23/!!e!VmPg!2M~$(KGrHqZ,!gwE06JERsKkBNP4qpLe-g~~_35.JPG

http://images.askmen.com/fashion/watch/rolex-cosmograph-daytona_1.jpg

TactiCool
06-18-2012, 17:26
"Book 'em Dano"

Back in the day it was not uncommon in some police departments to treat unruly prisoners with "the book". The term "book 'em Dano" became a euphemism for a knock up side the head with one. Not always a phone book, sometimes the big, heavy booking log book was used.

That's interesting, and believe me, I keep plenty of large, heavy books on hand. They are in fact quite versatile for many tasks other than reading.

azbuckeye
06-18-2012, 17:30
Older style, thick walled aluminum bat.......

Cavalry Doc
06-18-2012, 17:48
That's interesting, and believe me, I keep plenty of large, heavy books on hand. They are in fact quite versatile for many tasks other than reading.

When I fly, I carry a nondescript steel pen, wear pants that don't need a belt, but wear one anyway and carry a thick hardbound book. The pen is obvious on how to use it, but take the belt off, loop it around the book, and you have a mighty fine makeshift mace.

TactiCool
06-18-2012, 18:07
When I fly, I carry a nondescript steel pen, wear pants that don't need a belt, but wear one anyway and carry a thick hardbound book. The pen is obvious on how to use it, but take the belt off, loop it around the book, and you have a mighty fine makeshift mace.

Holding a heavy boot by the laces, or using a neck tie, makes a similarly effective tool. Using a metal-banded dress watch also makes for an effective brass knuckle. Large rings with protruding bosses are also effective for striking. Necklaces are also versatile in that they can be used for everything from a garrote to a restraining device and can augment other striking devices as well.

Aceman
06-18-2012, 20:57
I haven't read this whole thread, but have we mentioned the buttstock of a good old Yugo AK? Or any wood AK for that matter?

Warp
06-19-2012, 19:06

This is life.

People laugh at silly things.

That's the way it is.

If it hurts your feelings don't be so silly.

ChuteTheMall
06-19-2012, 19:36
http://i50.tinypic.com/mi14zo.jpg

Every problem starts to look like a nail.:uglylol:

The smallest, cheapest and light weight ball-peen style hammer is easiest to carry or discard.

ChuteTheMall
06-19-2012, 19:42
WWWWD?

What Would Wonder Woman Do?

Old Woman Hits Robbers With Handbag! - YouTube

She still looks good for only 71.:fred:

ChuteTheMall
06-19-2012, 19:55
http://i45.tinypic.com/fnwxtx.jpg

1970's era BMW exhaust nut wrench,
part # 88 88 6 18 0 600

I merely held it up and calmed a situation.:whistling:

http://i45.tinypic.com/2ug31cm.jpg

Cavalry Doc
06-19-2012, 19:56
WWWWD?

Old Woman Hits Robbers With Handbag! - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BfvEhIHAn0)

That is awesome.

jakebrake
06-19-2012, 19:58

part # 88 88 6 18 0 600

actually recognize that one. those old beemers had a unique sound, didn't they?

Woofie
06-19-2012, 20:26

I impacted a deer with my PT Cruiser once. It worked excellently.

Impacted a kid on a four wheeler once, too.

Stevekozak
06-19-2012, 20:29
WWWWD?

Old Woman Hits Robbers With Handbag! - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BfvEhIHAn0)

That is one groovy old lady!!

My weapon of choice for serious hurting would be a 20 oz framing hammer. There isn't much you can't do with one of those.

Angry Fist
06-19-2012, 22:13

part # 88 88 6 18 0 600

Bet you can make some pretty cool eggs with it too.

lawman800
06-19-2012, 22:20
Or at least tenderize some steaks.

Pardoner
06-20-2012, 08:14

I can neither confirm or deny that those used to come out when we did barracks WWF wrestling.

I remember jumping off a wall locker to whomp someone with one.

The memories..... Now that I am a bit older and wiser, I can appreciate how much that must have hurt in the old days.

lawman800
06-20-2012, 08:31
I can neither confirm or deny that those used to come out when we did barracks WWF wrestling.

I remember jumping off a wall locker to whomp someone with one.

The memories..... Now that I am a bit older and wiser, I can appreciate how much that must have hurt in the old days.

But it's still funny!

We used to joust with broomsticks... while riding on bicycles at each other, full speed... the fact that we survived our childhood with blunt impact chest trauma is a testament to the resiliency of the human body.

Bolster
06-20-2012, 11:07
We used to joust with broomsticks... while riding on bicycles at each other, full speed... the fact that we survived our childhood with blunt impact chest trauma is a testament to the resiliency of the human body.

And to the deplorable inefficiency of Darwinism!

Happypuppy
06-20-2012, 11:18
How about adding some oldies ?

A glass bottle ( most often beer in a bar) worked great in westerns
For Ladies, the purse. Back in the day when then they were this giant thing... near bug out bag size.

Sent from my 300 baud modem

ron8903
06-20-2012, 11:24
A two foot Length of 2/0 rubber coated copper welding cable, works wonders.

RWBlue
06-20-2012, 11:45
How about adding some oldies ?

A glass bottle ( most often beer in a bar) worked great in westerns
For Ladies, the purse. Back in the day when then they were this giant thing... near bug out bag size.

Sent from my 300 baud modem

More people were killed in England with beer bottles than were cars. (This stat is from a couple years back as they were trying to get the beer companies to switch over to plastic bottles.)

Texas357
06-20-2012, 11:55
But it's still funny!

I'm convinced the popularity of "extreme" sports is a result of playgrounds being made too safe.

GWG19
06-20-2012, 20:24
Monadnock autolock expandable baton. Personally I like it better than the ASP.

http://www.batons.com/autolock.html

A Jack Links sasquatch stick also makes a nasty impact ??? Um... Food.
One of my instructors whacked the crap out of another one with one of those beef sticks.

lawman800
06-20-2012, 21:44
And to the deplorable inefficiency of Darwinism!

Hey, gives us job security, right?:whistling:

I'm convinced the popularity of "extreme" sports is a result of playgrounds being made too safe.

Yep, thrill seeking has gone to new heights to get away from our sanitized existence.

RWBlue
06-20-2012, 21:51
I'm convinced the popularity of LAWYERS is a result of playgrounds being made too safe.

I fixed it for you.:wavey:

westy39
06-20-2012, 22:55
When I first started out my career we carried the PR24, it was a hard to find a good place in the patrol car to carry it and don't even try to carry it on your duty belt in the car. I went to the expandable PR24. It was always with me when I needed it. Then along came the ASP baton, now life is really good. It fits easily on your duty belt, it is always with you, and its easy to use as it is just an extension of your arm. I carried my ASP for close to 10 years before I left the PD and it never failed when I needed it, BUT you need to remember there is not 1 tool that is the answer to every situation but the ASP is a good tool for several situations (great for knocking on doors). It is also much easier to defend its use in court, unlike a sap or a wooden riot baton. I say use what works for you and don't limit your options. Just my thoughts, be safe and be aware.

theotherjohn
06-21-2012, 06:51
:homer:Rolled up newspaper!

lawman800
06-21-2012, 07:35
:homer:Rolled up newspaper!

Works very well against pesky houseflies.:rofl:

Roblamont80
06-21-2012, 11:13
I have used the handle on my pocket knife to crack a melon. Concentrating your force to a hardened reduced surface area can quickly amplify the deliverable psi. I keep a cheater bar in all my vehicles as well as a 4d mag-light so I suppose those would do just fine if I need a weapon of opportunity.

JAS104
06-21-2012, 11:20
" I check the list. Rubber tubing, gas, saw, gloves, cuffs, razor wire, hatchet, Gladys, and my mitts."
http://www.google.com/imgres?q=sin+city+my+mitts&um=1&hl=en&sa=N&biw=1024&bih=585&tbm=isch&tbnid=02L7FkeIakYEuM:&imgrefurl=http://plus4chan.org/b/baw/res/357926%2B50.html&docid=9IYB4cCCS6R_QM&imgurl=http://plus4chan.org/b/baw/src/133880712342.png&w=853&h=480&ei=l1fjT9vDFsjy0gGrmamkAw&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=227&vpy=72&dur=281&hovh=168&hovw=299&tx=202&ty=85&sig=106923900707836727769&page=1&tbnh=83&tbnw=148&start=0&ndsp=18&ved=1t:429,r:1,s:0,i:77

mingaa
06-21-2012, 11:31
I always butcher the spelling but I brought one of those clubs back from Ireland when I was over there. I'd imagine it'd leave one heck of a mark if you got nailed with it.

-Emt1581 Yeah "shillelagh" - I looked it up to be certain - not a word one puts to paper often. That one stays around the house as it's use is pretty obvious. Whoever picked the knot and the wood did a great job - I've tested it a few times on inanimate objects - it works like a charm. :whistling:

BenjiEDF
06-21-2012, 11:59
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/21Z1ALK900L._SL500_AA300_.jpg
Pen
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31%2BQAZOzUaL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
Flashlight

Something small that I can EDC, whose main function is not a weapon.

DrSticky
06-21-2012, 12:14
I am preferential to walls. The bar, bar stool or a table will do nicely as well. Throwing chairs is too Jerry Springer.

Surprisingly, laptops do a nice job. I have never hit a person with one, but I have smashed more than one into a wall or thrown them into the street. Those magnesium alloy covers can take a walloping. It might work well for the, "here take my laptop" robbery scenario.

Note(because it needs to be said): They weren't functional afterwards, but in most cases the data can be retrieved from the hard drive if you survive the encounter.

theotherjohn
06-21-2012, 12:54
Harsh words, yo Mama insults, thrown shoes... Or an unopened pocket knife.

certifiedfunds
06-21-2012, 13:31
In my fantasy, I have a myriad of impact weapons available. But what makes it really cool is how it all happens with those 360 degree camera shots that allow me to freeze the action scenes, flip around, and resume the attack from another angle. That's where having multiple impact options is really nice.

Like Keanu Reeves

JAS104
06-21-2012, 13:34
In my fantasy, I have a myriad of impact weapons available. But what makes it really cool is how it all happens with those 360 degree camera shots that allow me to freeze the action scenes, flip around, and resume the attack from another angle. That's where having multiple impact options is really nice.

Like one of those fights in the Matrix lol

certifiedfunds
06-21-2012, 13:42
Like one of those fights in the Matrix lol

Yes, but even cooler

quake
06-21-2012, 15:39
" I check the list. Rubber tubing, gas, saw, gloves, cuffs, razor wire, hatchet, Gladys, and my mitts."
http://www.google.com/imgres?q=sin+city+my+mitts&um=1&hl=en&sa=N&biw=1024&bih=585&tbm=isch&tbnid=02L7FkeIakYEuM:&imgrefurl=http://plus4chan.org/b/baw/res/357926%2B50.html&docid=9IYB4cCCS6R_QM&imgurl=http://plus4chan.org/b/baw/src/133880712342.png&w=853&h=480&ei=l1fjT9vDFsjy0gGrmamkAw&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=227&vpy=72&dur=281&hovh=168&hovw=299&tx=202&ty=85&sig=106923900707836727769&page=1&tbnh=83&tbnw=148&start=0&ndsp=18&ved=1t:429,r:1,s:0,i:77

I probably shouldn't admit to it, but I liked that movie. It's hard for me to not like a good 'revenge of the underdog' flick.

ploughman
06-21-2012, 15:39
this might sound odd
my is a garden hoe
legal and has many
other uses

JAS104
06-21-2012, 15:53
I probably shouldn't admit to it, but I liked that movie. It's hard for me to not like a good 'revenge of the underdog' flick.

Its really good to watch like, once a year.
Outside of that it puts me in a funk. Way violent.
And not a good Apocalypse Now violent, its kind of a "Saw" violent. And I haaatteedd those movies.

JAS104
06-21-2012, 15:54
this might sound odd
my is a garden hoe
legal and has many
other uses

Sounds like a poem of a homicidal gardener lol :shocked:

Dragoon189
06-21-2012, 20:36
I agree with the steel frame 1911, has weight just in case it FTFs

3000fps
06-22-2012, 10:23
my dweenis!!1

weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :wavey:

certifiedfunds
06-22-2012, 12:40
Sounds like a poem of a homicidal gardener lol :shocked:

Kinda makes you wonder who's buried under his tomato plants

ploughman
06-22-2012, 13:46
sorry Im not
the hoe was used by the okinawa people
just like the nunchucks, tonfa ect.
just google kuwa kata utube

mingaa
06-22-2012, 15:46
Last weekend a guy at an estate sale beat me to the Kaiser / sling Blade - 40" hickory handle (std.) nice wear and age - $5. He got it by a couple of steps - my bad. Better luck next time. I got the soil tamper and a garden fork for the same price though but I WANTED the old Sling Blade!
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8022/7422124320_b6366a6ab7.jpg (stock pic)

pmwglock19
06-22-2012, 21:36
Mine is giving 50 lashes with a wet noodle to any and all who come after teotwawki,

emt1581
06-22-2012, 21:44
I found my blackjack tonight. I had previously tossed it in my holster bin. It's got a pretty impressive snap to it.

-Emt1581

certifiedfunds
06-22-2012, 22:26
Whew! Good thing you didn't need it!

Texas357
06-23-2012, 11:52
Last weekend a guy at an estate sale beat me to the Kaiser / sling Blade - 40" hickory handle (std.) nice wear and age - $5. He got it by a couple of steps - my bad. Better luck next time. I got the soil tamper and a garden fork for the same price though but I WANTED the old Sling Blade!
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8022/7422124320_b6366a6ab7.jpg (stock pic)

Oher than in that movie, has anybody ever called it a "sling blade?"

fnfalguy
06-24-2012, 22:36
Myself...hands, knees and elbows specifically!

John Rambo
06-25-2012, 07:55
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/21Z1ALK900L._SL500_AA300_.jpg
Pen

I really want to watch someone hit someone else with their 'tactical pen'. I mean, I REALLY want to watch it happen. :rofl: