The futility of gun turn-ins [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : The futility of gun turn-ins

glockman66
06-16-2012, 16:20
Why would any criminal(with an IQ of at least 10) turn in a gun that could be used any number of times to commit robberies, murders, etc. turn it in for just $100? :faint::rofl::rofl::supergrin::supergrin:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/columnists/ct-oped-0617-chapman-20120617,0,5985547.column
The futility of gun turn-ins
Don't expect any criminal to be disarmed
Steve Chapman
June 17, 2012

azatrox
06-16-2012, 16:25
The news covered one of these turn ins in Chicago or year or two ago
I saw a guy standing in line to turn in a blue 6" Python! :faint:

JBnTX
06-16-2012, 16:27
I've always thought of having my own gun buy back.

Set up a little roadside stand and offer 100.00 dollars for every gun turned in.

glockman66
06-16-2012, 16:46
If the guns are bought back, no questions asked and then destroyed, can they be used as evidence if the gun had been used in a crime/murder?:rofl::rofl::supergrin::supergrin:

Cavalry Doc
06-16-2012, 16:56
I had an old H&R single shot 20 ga. Had it for a while, but it stopped working, and the action was riveted closed. It was worth $65 brand new, and the San Antonio police department was offering $80 worth of Disney on Ice tickets for a gun turn in. Hell yeah I turned it in for a profit. I'd probably have been able to fix it today, but that was about 19 years ago, and I know more about how to get into things now.

azatrox
06-16-2012, 17:26
I've always thought of having my own gun buy back.

Set up a little roadside stand and offer 100.00 dollars for every gun turned in.

I've thought about going to a turn in and walking the line, seeing what people had and then offer more for it.

samurairabbi
06-16-2012, 17:38
A century ago, the term "slumming" meant a well-meaning group going into an area, doing some noble-sounding action that makes them feel good, and then leaving feeling noble while accomplishing NO lasting progress.

That describes gun buy-backs.

janice6
06-16-2012, 17:44
A century ago, the term "slumming" meant a well-meaning group going into an area, doing some noble-sounding action that makes them feel good, and then leaving feeling noble while accomplishing NO lasting progress.

That describes gun buy-backs.

Like our federal government..................

samurairabbi
06-16-2012, 18:09
Like our federal government..................

There is a difference.

The "slumming" crowd was usually content to look good for a while and then leave.

The government crowd was there to build constituencies that would last, and therefore provide continuing votes. So government programs will last forever!

QNman
06-16-2012, 18:12
Why would any criminal(with an IQ of at least 10) turn in a gun that could be used any number of times to commit robberies, murders, etc. turn it in for just $100? :faint::rofl::rofl::supergrin::supergrin:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/columnists/ct-oped-0617-chapman-20120617,0,5985547.column
The futility of gun turn-ins
Don't expect any criminal to be disarmed
Steve Chapman
June 17, 2012

Easy... "no questions asked" means a safe, legal way to dispose of:

A) guns that no longer function
B) guns that have been used in a serious crime and need to be disposed where they will NEVER be found.

Jerry
06-16-2012, 18:29
It's a feel good thing for the sheep. It has nothing to do with getting firearms out of the hands of criminals.

I have wanted to go to a "buyback" ( how do they buy back something they didn't own or sell in the first place?) and when someone cam up with a worthwhile firearm offer them more for it than the PD. In Louisiana that is perfectly legal but I'll bet they'd find a reason to either make me leave or arrest me, so I've always blown it off.

cowboy1964
06-16-2012, 18:56
The fewer guns in the hands of morons the better.

nmstew
06-16-2012, 19:05

Hell that's only like two days worth of food stamps.