Tamales. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Tamales.

okie
06-16-2012, 21:23
Anyone make Tamales, about what is the total cost to make a dozen? I was asked if I wanted to buy some Tamales and I asked how much, they said 10 bucks a dozen, I said sure I'll take a dozen cheese ans Jalapeno. These were not for a special fund raiser or anything, it was just some ladies making and selling them. I was a tad upset when I got them as they were damn near paper thin, I'm not sure there was even any cheese in them, possibly just half a Jalapeno pepper. I don't think I'll be buying from these ladies any more:alex:

el_jewapo
06-16-2012, 21:29
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_7zKtDPMZ7xw/TQ1wDCbtsAI/AAAAAAAACpU/dGNWoJpq-uA/s400/Hormel%2BTamales.jpg

+

http://peppers.com/cube/images/uploads/sriracha3.JPG

= Good eats!

racer11
06-16-2012, 21:30
Most honest food venders will offer a sample before you purchase. I say you learned ur lesson on this one.

Huaco Kid
06-16-2012, 21:30
I really miss the old, old Mexican lady that lived down the road and sold them out of her house.

Forget the Waffle House run on a good drunk night. Get a shopping bag half full of those tamales and you were in heaven.

okie
06-16-2012, 21:34
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_7zKtDPMZ7xw/TQ1wDCbtsAI/AAAAAAAACpU/dGNWoJpq-uA/s400/Hormel%2BTamales.jpg

+

= Good eats!I do like them for sure my friend:eat::supergrin:

okie
06-16-2012, 21:34
Most honest food venders will offer a sample before you purchase. I say you learned ur lesson on this one.

I learned for sure my friend :supergrin:

okie
06-16-2012, 21:36
I really miss the old, old Mexican lady that lived down the road and sold them out of her house.

Forget the Waffle House run on a good drunk night. Get a shopping bag half full of those tamales and you were in heaven.
I don't get drunk anymore, but Tamales would be a better drunk food then Waffle house, not that there is anything wrong with WH:supergrin:

Zonny
06-16-2012, 22:24
I bought 2 dozen @ Christmas and I think I paid $36.00. There is a lot of work involved in the making of tamales.

Steel Head
06-16-2012, 23:52
Tamales here run $1.50
There is a new joint in town that makes the best chicken tamale I've ever had :eat:
I don't see why you couldn't make for lees than a buck each at home:wavey:

ggarciatx
06-17-2012, 06:43
Hey Okie, you would have to try the ones they make down here.
Here is a rundown.
There is pork
chicken
jalapeno with cheese
bean
bean/cheese
sugar/cinnamon
deer meat
javalina meat
sugar with raisins
spicy chicken
Beef

They run about 6 dollars a dozen down here and that seems like too much. lol. Around November is when the old ladies start making them and everyone buys them. The secret of course is not to warm them up in the microwave, but to warm them up in the corn husk on a grill or skillet until they are toasty!!
Wish I had a way of sending some later on to you guys. They could be frozen, but probably for only a day at the most. Don't know how long they would last in a foam cooler.

36.00 for two dozen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that is insane.
We have a coworker here whos mother makes them for us for 6.00 a dozen.

okie
06-17-2012, 06:49
Hey Okie, you would have to try the ones they make down here.
Here is a rundown.
There is pork
chicken
jalapeno with cheese
bean
bean/cheese
sugar/cinnamon
deer meat
javalina meat
sugar with raisins
spicy chicken
Beef

They run about 6 dollars a dozen down here and that seems like too much. lol. Around November is when the old ladies start making them and everyone buys them. The secret of course is not to warm them up in the microwave, but to warm them up in the corn husk on a grill or skillet until they are toasty!!
Wish I had a way of sending some later on to you guys. They could be frozen, but probably for only a day at the most. Don't know how long they would last in a foam cooler.

36.00 for two dozen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that is insane.
We have a coworker here whos mother makes them for us for 6.00 a dozen.
Some of those sound awesome my friend:eat::supergrin:

Dr. Leaky
06-17-2012, 07:08
The cost is labor, not ingredients. You just bought yours from a lousy cook - don't give up. You might ask around if someone knows a source for the good ones.

jeager
06-17-2012, 07:30
Everytime I park at the local 4 year old WalMart there's a guy with a big smiling gold tooth offering tamales out the back of his minivan.

Guess it's worth a try if he's survived there so long.

2bgop
06-17-2012, 08:17
Okie

I make mine own sometimes, but too be honest, if I can buy them, I do. The cost isn't the issue, they are time consuming.

My favorite is spicy pork, served in a small crock with beans and fried eggs on top.

Dan_ntx
06-17-2012, 08:42
I make tamales at least once a month.

Big bag of maseca...$7 makes probably 12 dozen
Corn husks dried and cleaned ...$3 a bag, probably 3 doz in bag
Filling...beans and jalapeņos are cheap, pork is close to cheap.

Easy to do.
Add water to maseca until its sticky and feels like gritty paste.
Soak dried husks in a big bowl of warm water.
Take a big husk, dry it, spoon a heaping tablespoon of masa on it and spread it thin with back of spoon. Add pre cooked filling, roll up, and stack vertically in a pot for steaming.
Continue until you fill the pot so they can't unroll. Steam for 45 min.

If you like tamales and don't want the fuss, try a papoosa.
All you need is maseca, water, and filling.
Make a 1/4 in thick patty with maseca and water (I use two pie plates to make a little thick tortilla) spoon in filling, fold over to seal it, frying pan on med with a little oil. Taste like a toasy tamale in a few minutes.

I think I just made a breakfast decision!

spork
06-17-2012, 09:20

+

= Good eats!

Interesting combination. I have never tried that. This is why I always check Okie's food threads!

Kd4rgw
06-17-2012, 09:23
6 bucks a doz. we even have a tamale festival

GLWyandotte
06-17-2012, 09:46

Easy to do.
Take a big husk, dry it, spoon a heaping tablespoon of masa on it and spread it thin with back of spoon. Add pre cooked filling, roll up, and stack vertically in a pot for steaming.

Make a 1/4 in thick patty with maseca and water (I use two pie plates to make a little thick tortilla) spoon in filling, fold over to seal it, frying pan on med with a little oil. Taste like a toasy tamale in a few minutes.

I do my own too. They're like lasagna- if you make a little, make a lot and freeze.
I've got a freezer full of jalapeno and cheese; cilantro, onion, poblano pepper and cheese; chorizo, etc etc.
I don't mind the labor, it's therapeutic. I do mind the corn husks where less than 30% of the bag's husks are big enough to use. We have an El Salvadoran restaurant by us. Their Louisa's are unreal and at lunch they're only $1.50 each. They come with Curtido- a great side dish of spicy lightly dressed shredded fresh cabbage.

ChuteTheMall
06-17-2012, 09:58

+

= Good eats!

IS THREE BOTTLES PER CAN THE CORRECT RATIO???

:steamed:

Rabbi
06-17-2012, 10:10
People "street" selling (wanna buy some Tamales?) here is the norm....and my oh my are they (often) good. Tamales are simply part of life here.

Local sign (look to the right)

http://travellogs.us/2007Logs/Texas%202007/19-Kerrville/Tamale-Lawyer_1157.JPG

Steel Head
06-17-2012, 10:17
People "street" selling (wanna buy some Tamales?) here is the norm....and my oh my are they (often) good. Tamales are simply part of life here.

Local sign (look to the right)

http://travellogs.us/2007Logs/Texas%202007/19-Kerrville/Tamale-Lawyer_1157.JPG

That's my kind of place:wavey:

MrsKitty
06-17-2012, 11:09

Easy to do.

Try doing it with concentrated chicken stock (I use Better than Bullion since it has no MSG) instead of water, use real LARD and adding garlic and cumin to the masa. Trust me on this one.

Also, fresh green husks give them an entirely different flavor...although I couldn't get mine into the cool little star-shaped bundles.

One of the best tamales I ever had was a sweet one with chirozo in it. I know, it sounds weird but it blew me away.

I don't use a spoon to spread the masa -- I discovered that using a credit card or your driver's license is much easier and gives me a more even tamale without much effort.

I am going to try this papoosa. Never heard of it before! I know what we're having tomorrow night. Thanks! :supergrin:

TBO
06-17-2012, 11:17
:eat:

MrsKitty
06-17-2012, 11:18
I do my own too. They're like lasagna- if you make a little, make a lot and freeze.
I've got a freezer full of jalapeno and cheese; cilantro, onion, poblano pepper and cheese; chorizo, etc etc.
I don't mind the labor, it's therapeutic. I do mind the corn husks where less than 30% of the bag's husks are big enough to use. We have an El Salvadoran restaurant by us. Their Louisa's are unreal and at lunch they're only $1.50 each. They come with Curtido- a great side dish of spicy lightly dressed shredded fresh cabbage.

Stagger the smaller husks and use several. They aren't as neat but they still taste good.

I only get my husks from a tienda mexicana. The last bag I got for $3 was almost a foot tall and stacked tight. More than enough to use twice and all of them are huge...I had no idea corn came that big! :rofl:

Anybody tried the paper husks? I've seen them in grocery stores but you wouldn't get any of the flavor out of them so it seems pointless...

We took a huge basket of assorted tamales to gathering with friends, gave my FIL a huge bag to freeze, at them for lunches for a week (a nuked tamale at work is still better than no tamale...) and packed the freezer full the last batch we made. It's a lot of work but once you get going, there's no reason not to make a ton of them.

Has anybody tried freezing them without steaming? They would have to be completely thawed before being steamed later but I wonder how they would keep?

Zonny
06-17-2012, 11:19
6 bucks a doz. we even have a tamale festival

:scared: No thanks.

Drain You
06-17-2012, 12:36
Real tamales are pretty good. Canned ones are mushy crap.
In related news, I eat about 1/3 of one when I was a kid before deciding I didn't like them.

My grandmother told me to peel off the outside and I do agree they were much better after that.

Dan_ntx
06-17-2012, 12:56
Try doing it with concentrated chicken stock (I use Better than Bullion since it has no MSG) instead of water, use real LARD and adding garlic and cumin to the masa. Trust me on this one.

Also, fresh green husks give them an entirely different flavor...although I couldn't get mine into the cool little star-shaped bundles.

One of the best tamales I ever had was a sweet one with chirozo in it. I know, it sounds weird but it blew me away.

I don't use a spoon to spread the masa -- I discovered that using a credit card or your driver's license is much easier and gives me a more even tamale without much effort.

I am going to try this papoosa. Never heard of it before! I know what we're having tomorrow night. Thanks! :supergrin:

All right...tamale recipe exchange version 1.0...THIS is what the internet is for!

I can't eat chicken...any fowl really. Horribly allergic

I don't use lard or shortening because I buy "Maseca Masa instantanea de maiz"... It only needs water and it's good to go. Has a nice roasted corn flavor and spreads thin and even. I didn't want to admit this before but I bought a masa spreader on eBay....it's basically a masa trowel that spreads it even and thin.

If I'm doing pulled pork tamales I have a heavy cumin and Mexican oregano marinade that I cook the pork shoulder in. I use that flavored water from the crock pot to make my masa and it's great. If I'm doing bean and jalapeņo (my favorite) I just use water but I do add cumin and other dry spices to the beans.

For any sweet tamale (tres leches, chocolate pistachio, apple cinnamon, etc) I do cut cold butter some sugar into my instant masa. Its still got a little corn flavor, but is surprisingly mild and sweet.

Papoosas are easy, I can go from dry mix to finished dish in 10 min. As long as you have filling ready to go you ready. I used to lay mine out like empanadas but learned from my 11yo son that a handful of masa and a handful of filling wadded up in a ball and smashed like a hamburger patty comes out just fine. Just watch the heat or you will make the outside more crispy than you want. I cook them on my griddle that I use for pancakes (and I take pancakes seriously) and set it at 350 turning 2 or 3 times for a total cook time of 10/12 minutes. It really depends on the moisture of your masa, so make an extra to use for a guinea pig.

Good luck, we are a papoosa friendly family. It's like tamales for dummies.

MadMonkey
06-17-2012, 13:07

+

= Good eats!

Both of those things make me poop. The Hormel tamales are tasty though :cool:

My mom makes tamales now and then and they're AMAZING (especially for a white lady!). I'll eat them for almost every meal for a couple of weeks when she does it :supergrin:

MrsKitty
06-17-2012, 13:34
All right...tamale recipe exchange version 1.0...THIS is what the internet is for!

I can't eat chicken...any fowl really. Horribly allergic

I don't use lard or shortening because I buy "Maseca Masa instantanea de maiz"... It only needs water and it's good to go. Has a nice roasted corn flavor and spreads thin and even. I didn't want to admit this before but I bought a masa spreader on eBay....it's basically a masa trowel that spreads it even and thin.

If I'm doing pulled pork tamales I have a heavy cumin and Mexican oregano marinade that I cook the pork shoulder in. I use that flavored water from the crock pot to make my masa and it's great. If I'm doing bean and jalapeņo (my favorite) I just use water but I do add cumin and other dry spices to the beans.

For any sweet tamale (tres leches, chocolate pistachio, apple cinnamon, etc) I do cut cold butter some sugar into my instant masa. Its still got a little corn flavor, but is surprisingly mild and sweet.

Papoosas are easy, I can go from dry mix to finished dish in 10 min. As long as you have filling ready to go you ready. I used to lay mine out like empanadas

That totally sucks. I went through a long period where I couldn't eat any beef or pork because of the antibiotics given to them as I'm allergic to penicillin but finally, they went to something else. I know how that feels though...

When you have your own pork broth there's really no need to resort to instant mixes. We did my carnitas last time for tamales that I do by simply tossing a butt the crockpot in orange juice overnight. In the morning I will add onion, bell pepper, garlic, cumin, Mexican oregano, salt and pepper along with some canned diced tomatoes. Then I crank it up to high and leave the lid off so that the broth condenses and the flavors concentrate, thus my need for the broth. They come out more of a pulled pork consistency but the flavor is so awesome that is totally OK. I even tossed the last batch into a pot and browned it some after condensing it down although my husband just browns the sides of the butt first when he does it. I like the caramelized onion and bell pepper which just doesn't come out his way. Last time I even used fresh garlic and whole cumin and drug out the molcajete :supergrin:

I think that's the masa I use...tan bag? I still add more lard after being told to do so by the little lady who told me how to do her tamales. You should have heard that conversation of several of us trying to figure that word out...I finally just asked if she mean mantequilla de oink, oink and made pig noises (I taught ESL to Mexicans and it's amazing how easy it is to cross a language barrier with animal sounds and random gestures :rofl: ). I'm pretty sure I spelled mantequilla wrong even though it's such a cool word. There was a tienda owned by the same people who ran a tortilliaria (sp?) in my hometown. You could be fresh refrigerated masa there ready to use right out of the bag for like $4 for a hunk of masa about the size of a gallon jug! It was such tasty stuff...although nothing like their tres leches cake.

We got a ginormous thing of Mexican oregano at Sams last year. I used it all up week before last and when I went to get more last week, I learned that Sams quit carrying it. So it's a trip to la tienda to get more soon. Also, the chili lime powder and the sal de limon is the bomb. I can eat the salt by itself, although it's the bomb on fresh cucumbers and in salsa.

I discovered Walmarts own fire roasted tomatoes with other stuff added right before Christmas last year. It makes a great salsa with just the addition of the lemon salt and cilantro although it's nothing compared to homemade.

My students taught me a lot of their dishes although I had already learned a lot from one of my best friends' mom's kitchen. When that woman was cooking, I was in the kitchen hovering right over her shoulder asking all kinds of questions. I made her rice for my students once (we had a full kitchen in our school and often would cook our lunch). When I volunteered to bring the rice one of the girls told me, "that's OUR rice we want, not plain white stuff." Later, she came to me in tears saying it tasted like her own mama's that she hadn't had in years. :crying: After that, I was told to bring rice for all meals. :rofl:

I did them a full Thanksgiving meal that year. My father came and fixed three deep fried turkeys for us while I did the traditional fixings. I even loaded up several and took them to Walmart for groceries. They argued with me in the store that instant potatoes were just as good as fresh potatoes. They lost that discussion. Out of 28 students, they killed all three birds...after telling me that turkey wasn't any good because it was all dried up. Somewhere I have a pic of the naked third naked carcass they picked clean. I told them they just didn't know how to cook it and I was going to show them.

I hated to lose that job but they closed the school down...

MrsKitty
06-17-2012, 13:40
I got a bottle of Rooster Sauce for my Mexican students and they told me it was "too hot" and "too garlicky" :faint:

Only one of them liked it. She also liked the tiny little bird's eye peppers I grew. She was constantly bringing me various salsas and hot sauces trying to set my ears on fire. It never worked although she got the other teacher many, many times. I kept telling her that one day she would learn to not gobble anything down that Irene gave her without a drink in her other hand. Irene would just stand there and giggle while she was gasping and coughing every time. :rofl:

Irene is also the one who made those sweet chorizo tamales that was the bomb. I wish I had gotten her recipe... I think she used pure cane sugar instead of white sugar. I have some (it's great in tea) so I need to try that.

GLWyandotte
06-17-2012, 13:54
Stagger the smaller husks and use several. They aren't as neat but they still taste good.

I only get my husks from a tienda mexicana. The last bag I got for $3 was almost a foot tall and stacked tight. More than enough to use twice and all of them are huge...I had no idea corn came that big! :rofl:

Anybody tried the paper husks? I've seen them in grocery stores but you wouldn't get any of the flavor out of them so it seems pointless...

We took a huge basket of assorted tamales to gathering with friends, gave my FIL a huge bag to freeze, at them for lunches for a week (a nuked tamale at work is still better than no tamale...) and packed the freezer full the last batch we made. It's a lot of work but once you get going, there's no reason not to make a ton of them.

Has anybody tried freezing them without steaming? They would have to be completely thawed before being steamed later but I wonder how they would keep?

I don't steam mine before freezing. I made my last batch 6 months ago and they're still great.
I use large, stock and cumin in my masa too, makes a huge difference. I've done Guatemalan ones too with gr olives ANC spiced chicken.

rick458
06-17-2012, 14:08
Silly Glock Talkers, Everybody knows that CAT makes the best Tamales

rick458
06-17-2012, 14:12
Around here $7-8 Dz is normal.
Pork is better than chicken, but it is hard to find a good reliable source

Dan_ntx
06-17-2012, 15:18
MrsKitty...
Orange juice??? It's going to happen in a day or two. I haven't used orange juice before (although I do sometimes use a can of pineapple) and that sounds like a winner!

My maseca is a white bag with big green and yellow letters. I used to add crisco, but I found that the pork water works good, and just water makes them dry and that works well for dessert tamales and bean tamales.

Orange juice...

Looking forward to the next batch.

MadMonkey
06-17-2012, 16:12
I got a bottle of Rooster Sauce for my Mexican students and they told me it was "too hot" and "too garlicky" :faint:
I honestly can't stand that stuff. I tried it a couple of times because my friends raved about it, but I just couldn't get a taste for it.

Then one night I was working security at a country club, and didn't have anything to put on my (lame) food. I found a bottle of that stuff (without a lid, which had probably been sitting for a couple of months) and decided ehhh.... what the heck.

I destroyed multiple bathrooms that night. I haven't touched it since.

G26AZ
06-17-2012, 16:13
Here in the Phoenix area, it seems like everybody and thier cousins makes tamales starting in November, and a lot of them are given as Christmas gifts as well. We usually get several dozen a year that way. They go in the freezer and get warmed up whenever the urge hits. You can go to about any major grocery store's parking lot in the evening in December, and find someone selling them. My oldest daughter has learned how to make them from a Mexican lady at one of her patient's homes, and they turned out pretty good. Not bad for a "gringa"!

Steel Head
06-17-2012, 16:17
I don't steam mine before freezing. I made my last batch 6 months ago and they're still great.
I use large, stock and cumin in my masa too, makes a huge difference. I've done Guatemalan ones too with gr olives ANC spiced chicken.

Those sound GOOD!!!:wow:

Zonny
06-17-2012, 16:32
Here in the Phoenix area, it seems like everybody and thier cousins makes tamales starting in November, and a lot of them are given as Christmas gifts as well. We usually get several dozen a year that way. They go in the freezer and get warmed up whenever the urge hits. You can go to about any major grocery store's parking lot in the evening in December, and find someone selling them. My oldest daughter has learned how to make them from a Mexican lady at one of her patient's homes, and they turned out pretty good. Not bad for a "gringa"!

This is true but I will only buy them from someone I know or from someone who can attest to the cleanliness of their kitchen.

:wavey:

El_Ron1
06-17-2012, 17:15
Not that expensive or hard to do. What you do need okie, is a Mexican girlfriend to teach you the right way.

http://i49.tinypic.com/sqqu0w.jpg

http://i46.tinypic.com/15frb11.jpg

http://i48.tinypic.com/r2ux75.jpg

http://i50.tinypic.com/u7rqe.jpg

http://i46.tinypic.com/16ks18m.jpg

http://i47.tinypic.com/2cff89g.jpg

ggarciatx
06-17-2012, 17:47
Not that expensive or hard to do. What you do need okie, is a Mexican girlfriend to teach you the right way.

http://i1.cpcache.com/product/538691534/the_force_is_strong_with_this_one_baby_blanket.jpg?height=160&width=160

TKM
06-17-2012, 18:42
We get some good ones here in San Diego, but they can't touch the New Mexico stuff.

Somebody'd shoot a critter (or the train would hit something tasty) and the familia would break out a Sparkletts bottle of Tequila-ish and a trailer full of cerveza. Eight hours later we'd have a thousand tamales and the best Christmas ever. :supergrin:

This has also been known to happen in June, July, August... well, you get the idea.

MrsKitty
06-17-2012, 20:24

Tell me more about this chicken, please.

I cannot stand a green olive although I got four cans of black ones today. :supergrin:

MrsKitty
06-17-2012, 20:26
MrsKitty...
Orange juice??? It's going to happen in a day or two. I haven't used orange juice before (although I do sometimes use a can of pineapple) and that sounds like a winner!

My maseca is a white bag with big green and yellow letters. I used to add crisco, but I found that the pork water works good, and just water makes them dry and that works well for dessert tamales and bean tamales.

Orange juice...

Looking forward to the next batch.

Yep, OJ. I can't remember where he found the recipe but it's really tasty. Let me know what you think.

I am going to have to try the pineapple now.

GLWyandotte
06-18-2012, 05:41
Tell me more about this chicken, please.

I cannot stand a green olive although I got four cans of black ones today. :supergrin:

I take several dried new mexico chiles, a couple ancho and couple poblano and rehydrate them. Put them in a blender with hot water (or stock), garlic cloves, oregano and a little cumin. Puree; put a whole chicken in a crock pot, cover with this sauce, and let it go all day. Pull the chicken meat and mix with the crock pot's sauce.
This meat make great tamales ot tacos, burritos, whatever. For tamales, I'll use chicken, queso fresco and green olives. Drop the olives and add fresh sweet corn and a bit of cilantro for a really amazing tamale!

okie
06-18-2012, 06:55

http://i50.tinypic.com/u7rqe.jpg

Those do look awesome my friend.

ChuteTheMall
06-18-2012, 06:58
Those do look awesome my friend.

Imagine them with grits!

TACLOAD
06-18-2012, 07:08
Mom used to cook a hog head down. That was much better than pork butt. Used a big pressure cooker.

Dr. Leaky
06-18-2012, 07:11
My students taught me a lot of their dishes although I had already learned a lot from one of my best friends' mom's kitchen. When that woman was cooking, I was in the kitchen hovering right over her shoulder asking all kinds of questions. I made her rice for my students once (we had a full kitchen in our school and often would cook our lunch). When I volunteered to bring the rice one of the girls told me, "that's OUR rice we want, not plain white stuff." Later, she came to me in tears saying it tasted like her own mama's that she hadn't had in years. :crying: After that, I was told to bring rice for all meals. :rofl:

Could you be persuaded to share the rice recipe? There are some great sounding eats in this thread and things are getting hungry around here.

GreenDrake
06-18-2012, 07:49
Man I love me some tamales. Just impossible to find really good ones and/or take the time to make them up. Then again, I am more partial to the tostadas I did last night. Smoked chicken breasts, pulled then simmered in chiles and onion, stock and seasonings, refrieds, tostada shell and fresh made pico with serrano peppers. I love me some mexi meals.

engineer151515
06-18-2012, 07:56
I bought 2 dozen @ Christmas and I think I paid $36.00. There is a lot of work involved in the making of tamales.

Yup

The "real ones" are not in a can. They are in a corn husk.

<<<< Has helped make tamales.

engineer151515
06-18-2012, 07:57

Ummmm

<<<< ex wife is Hispanic.

PuroMexicano
06-18-2012, 11:24
If you haven't tried a TAMAL YUCATECO, you know jack about tamales :supergrin:

http://blogs.warwick.ac.uk/images/yucatan/2005/10/19/tamalloncheria2.jpg

ggarciatx
06-19-2012, 07:39

I learned a sytrofoam cooler with some dry ice will get some of them TAMAL YUCATECO to any place on the North American Continent in about 3 days.........:tease:

eracer
06-19-2012, 07:48
I buy them frozen by the case. Never, ever tire of them. Steamed with a little butter and hot sauce - to die for.

http://www.supremetamale.com/

https://encrypted-tbn2.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQApkYEvZIDkuTfiV1amuLjqe6rzCM_uZdy4c9QLMvSE_NNCNNosg

In fact, thanks Okie, I need to order some right now!

ETA - 60 are on the way via 2-day Air. Can't....wait.

okie
06-19-2012, 08:05

That does look tasty my friend:eat:

PuroMexicano
06-19-2012, 09:59
I learned a sytrofoam cooler with some dry ice will get some of them TAMAL YUCATECO to any place on the North American Continent in about 3 days.........:tease:

It'll be far cheaper to make them at home than to ship them from Yucatan! :rofl: :supergrin: