Norma 200gr Ammo -- Today's Gun Show Find! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Norma 200gr Ammo -- Today's Gun Show Find!

flyandscuba
06-17-2012, 16:50
Woo Hoo! After setting up my table -- and before the show opened to the public this morning -- I made my cursory walk through and stopped at a table manned by an old co-worker.

Low and behold -- I see three boxes of Norma 10mm Auto ammo on his table. It was the 200gr FMJ stuff rated at 1200 fps and 639 ftlbs. I see $9 listed on the boxes. As I begin to picked them up -- he says, "I have more". All total, I snagged 11 boxes (220 rds) of the stuf for $7 per box!

I cut my 10mm Auto teeth on this stuff back in the 80's. Although we have Double Tap, Cor-bon, Buffalo Bore and Underwood to satisfy my full-power 10mm appetite -- I was pleased to get a stock of this very high quality ammo for a great price.

My Glocks will love it -- and the brass will make excellent hand loads for multiple loadings... :supergrin:

Breadman03
06-17-2012, 17:49
Sounds like a blast!

I have to ask that you run a few over a chrono for comparison.

Ethereal Killer
06-18-2012, 08:09
SWEET DEAL!!

you should donate a box or two of that for someone to reverse engineer or something. it's a rare opportunity to pull down the rounds to find out what they were doing and what powder they were using.

I'd be willing to buy a box of it from you if you'd sell it.

_The_Shadow
06-18-2012, 08:43
The powder that Norma used to make the 10mm stuff was discontinued as best I understood...However LongShot, IMR800, Blue Dot, Power Pistol or AA#9, can yield the 1200 fps mark.

The Cartridge has better value as a collectible novelty... :)

ca survivor
06-18-2012, 13:46
keep an eye on the cases, I had a few that split down about 3/8 from the front of the case.

bac1023
06-21-2012, 02:47
:thumbsup:

TACLOAD
06-22-2012, 19:19
Good find! I picked some Norma 170 grain up at a show a few years ago.

VN350X10
06-29-2012, 19:41
From what I've been able to learn, the old Norma 10MM was loaded with a non-canister grade of N350 Vhit.
An awful lot of Norma ammo uses Vhit. powders, as it's clean, consistant & accurate, while making serious power.
You can make the 1200 fps threashold with a 200 gr jacketed bullet with avalilable Vhit. N-350.
Just don't use data from the Vhit. #1 manual, it's a bit TOO hot ! #2 & later are fine.

uncle albert (note screen name...for a reason!)

WeeWilly
06-29-2012, 20:10
From what I've been able to learn, the old Norma 10MM was loaded with a non-canister grade of N350 Vhit.
An awful lot of Norma ammo uses Vhit. powders, as it's clean, consistant & accurate, while making serious power.
You can make the 1200 fps threashold with a 200 gr jacketed bullet with avalilable Vhit. N-350.
Just don't use data from the Vhit. #1 manual, it's a bit TOO hot ! #2 & later are fine.

uncle albert (note screen name...for a reason!)

I wish I had the number 1 load guide. The latest stuff on the new website just sems to get lighter and lighter, this may seem somewhat paraniod but it feels like it gets lighter everytime I log on, the projected velocity (for some of the powders), way off.

Fortunately I have some printed copies I downloaded a few years ago.

VN350X10
06-30-2012, 18:00
Trust me, the #1 was EVIL !

Several calibers had a problem with the data, I believe it was in the conversion of grams to grains. Much Bad JuJu !!!
My personal experience with the 10MM data yielded ammo that was so far out of spec.
I sent some samples from my 1st lot to a friend in engineering @ SR&Co. He sent them to a friend @ H.P.White labs.
Results for 10 samples...78K-82K psi. Brass goes plastic @ about 80K.
It was DOUBLE of the old spec of 40Kpsi. My G20 is no worse for wear, but the KB on the 7th round I fired got my attention.
Did I mention that this was at the published STARTING LOAD !!

Like I said, #1 is EVIL. Never did put it over a chrono, but I have some of it left & have a 10MM Contender barrel.......some day...

uncle albert