Different BOB's for different SHTF's/purposes? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Different BOB's for different SHTF's/purposes?

emt1581
06-17-2012, 19:55
Anyone have more than one BOB?

Maybe one for a natural disaster heading your way, one post-natural disaster, one to throw in the trunk if taking the family on a road trip (I guess that'd be more of a GHB though), one in case of societal issues (riots, martial law, etc), one in case someone or multiple someones are after you, and so on....

Maybe one is heavier on blankets and fire starting equipment. Maybe another has more cash and weapons.

Anyway, anyone have anything like that?

Thanks

-Emt1581

AK_Stick
06-17-2012, 20:08
Seems like whatever happened you'd be leaving a whole lot of stuff behind.

If you really wanted to go down that path, how about a couple of bags, one for you and ma'ma and one for the kids, and each outfitted differently?

As soon as you start tailoring a bag to one scenario too much, you loose your general purpose, and if its not exactly in line with that, now you either have to rip several bags apart in the midst of whatever to get what you need, or you're stuck leaving some stuff behind, or carrying way more than is realistic.

emt1581
06-17-2012, 20:26
Seems like whatever happened you'd be leaving a whole lot of stuff behind.

And see that's my general concern. I like to have things ready to go. But only having one bag means a compromise in all/most areas instead of suiting one or two scenarios REALLY well.

As far as a bag for each family member.... not a bad idea. My wife already has her purse (G19, knives, phone, cash, etc). My kid has his bag (diapers, food for a few days, clothes, wipes, etc.). My bag has lots of supplies.

I've also outfitted each of our vehicles (except my bike) with certain supplies to avoid having to grab it at home in an emergency.

-Emt1581

Bushflyr
06-17-2012, 20:42
So you're sitting there trying to figure out whether to grab the social unrest bag or the zombie apocalypse bag but the mob is just too far down the street to make out and you can't hear if they're yelling Saints (the name of their team that just won, or lost, whatever) or brains and you can't remember if you left your binoculars in the nuclear holocaust bag or the bioterror bag but it doesn't matter because while you were looking the Army (turns out it was a govt. coup and you didn't even think to get the ma deuce out of the foreign invasion bag) break in and shoot you. Where was that passport again?

Keep it simple, stupid.

1. Stuff always on you. 2. Your BOB. 2.5. Stuff in your car. 3. Stuff you can load in your car.

FireForged
06-17-2012, 21:26
first rule... Dont Overthink it. Basic survival needs do not change, stick with the basics. (generally speaking of course)

cowboy1964
06-17-2012, 22:11
and you can't hear if they're yelling Saints (the name of their team that just won, or lost, whatever) or brains

:rofl:

Bolster
06-17-2012, 23:12
Anyone have more than one BOB?

Three, but not customized for different situations. Mine are more like "good, better, best."

What I've been doing is carrying more stuff in my vehicles (where the BOB/GHBs are located) so I can do a changeout/customization if needed. For example, break down in summertime Arizona, add more water, etc. If no time for customization, grab the general bag and go, and hope for the best. But as you point out, this approach isn't ideally suited to a particular sitcheation.

thesurefire
06-18-2012, 00:02
Three, but not customized for different situations. Mine are more like "good, better, best."

Pretty much this. I think of it in a sort of tier system. In a ideal world I'd get to take all my gear, but in reality I'm going to have whats on me and hope I can go home and get more.

I break it down like this: EDC, whats in the car, camping bag, BOB, extended BOB, safety deposit box, and the I'm never coming home stuff. I wouldn't say I have more than one bag, so much as I have more than one level to a single bag. Clearly going into a short term situation where you dont know what will happen requires different gear than heading out to camp for a night.

However, the time of year changes things. I change sleeping bags, clothing, ect from summer to winter. The stuff goes between BOB and the storage pack I keep my extra stuff in.

TangoFoxtrot
06-18-2012, 04:41
1 -GHB/EDC in vehicle
1 -3 day BOB
1- Long term BOB
1- Tactical patrol pack

wjv
06-18-2012, 11:41
I don't have a BOB, but I do have a get home bag that could double for a BOB. Actually my BOB is 20 feet long, has wheels, and has to be pulled by a truck. :supergrin:

But back to the topic at hand.

My trunk is half full of all sorts of stuff. Lots of water, blankets, extra coat, rain gear, pots, food, rope, shelter kit, gun & ammo, viral contamination kits (mask, gloves, alcohol), razor scooter and my GHB which is packed with the basics.

If I need to make use of the GHB, I will select what I need based on the situation and the weather.

If it's summer, I won't need the rain gear. If it's 8 am, I probably won't need the shelter kit since I should be able to get home in 8-10 hours even if I'm moving slowly (18 miles).

What ever I don't need I'll leave behind for others to use. If it helps someone else get home, that's fine by me.

If it distracts the other people for 2 minutes so I can slip away un-noticed and un-assulted, that's good too.

I also prefer having 1 quality pack that allows you to carry a heavy load in comfort, than 3 crappy packs that will feel like bowling balls in a sling, on your back. . Buying three $90 packs was out of the question for me.

This pack has a frame, and a back webbing that keeps the back of the pack, off of your back. I also liked the fact that it looked more main stream and didn't scream MILITARY or SURVIVALIST. . .

It's also not too large so I can't stuff it with 372lb of unnecessary gear. (33L/2,000 cubic inches)

http://amzn.to/NaER04

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i303/bcvojak/RVNet/Sorcerer.jpg

Bolster
06-18-2012, 14:08
I also liked the fact that it looked more main stream and didn't scream MILITARY or SURVIVALIST. . .

That seems important to me. I went the same route more or less, but only 1800 ci. Mine's not green like this one, it's grey. Upside, it's manageable. Downside; it's full!

http://origin.kaboodle.com/hi/img/b/0/0/13e/4/AAAACxGchjEAAAAAAT5IYA.jpg?v=1301318138000

UneasyRider
06-18-2012, 18:06
I guess that I am swimming against the tide on this one. I just keep one bag for each of us, in each Jeep. They are basic GHB's with water filters, rain gear, hiking gear, tarps and the odd assortment tools, supplies and lightweight high protien foods. We have other stuff that we keep in the Jeeps that would get stuffed into the bags once we changed clothes and put on gear, that leaves a fairly light bag to carry for a few days.