Phone Geeks. Anyone order the new Samsung Galaxy S III? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Phone Geeks. Anyone order the new Samsung Galaxy S III?

ghostman1960
06-18-2012, 05:56
My GF ordered one for me for my BD and it is supposed to ship today. From everything I have read, it is the best phone on the market today with a Qualcom dual core Snap Dragon processor, 2 gigs of RAM and the latest Android 4.0 OS.

It is kind of big with a 4.8" screen but that's OK with me. I'm kind of excited about getting it and am wondering if anyone else out there has also ordered one.

http://i823.photobucket.com/albums/zz159/ghostman1961/samsung-galaxy-s3-hands-on-9.jpg

saluki9
06-18-2012, 14:20
I passed because we in the US got stuck with the dual core instead of the quad core.

The screen does look nice, but not nice enough to pay full freight to replace my SII Skyrocket.

Let us know how you like it when you get it, supposed to be a great phone

Resqu2
06-18-2012, 15:46
Dang is that a phone or a tablet :wow: hope you enjoy it :wavey:

HeliGlock
06-18-2012, 16:44
Yes I have it. Its Everything and then some. Enjoy:)

Detectorist
06-18-2012, 17:05
If I wanted a tablet I'd get an iPad.

hamster
06-18-2012, 17:16
I love the hardware but I am not buying non- stock android.

RottnJP
06-18-2012, 18:10
Yes I have it. Its Everything and then some. Enjoy:)

How is the screen in sunlight? That's my one complaint about the Rezound I have now- Can't see it very well in direct sunlight.

ghostman1960
06-19-2012, 17:20
Well who knows when I will get it now. AT&T has screwed up the release date. Mine was supposed to ship yesterday but didn't. Customer service cannot not give me a shipment date except for "sometime after the 21st".

Glockdude1
06-19-2012, 17:33
No.

I will stick with my still new Samsung Galaxy Note.

http://www.vandtab.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/white-galaxy-note-vs-galaxy-nexus-01-Nokia-World-SlashGear.jpg

:cool:

RottnJP
06-19-2012, 18:14
I love the hardware but I am not buying non- stock android.

You realize there are already CM beta builds, right? Samsung is friendly to the modding community. If you want vanilla ICS on your S3, you can have it.

ghostman1960
08-26-2012, 17:05
Well I have had it for over a month now and it is a great phone. Im still figuring out how to use and even find all of the features on it.

sappy13
08-26-2012, 17:41
I messed around with the S3 and the HTC OneX at the store for a while. Spec wise the S3 won, but I couldnt stand the physical home button. Plus I liked the camera on the OneX more.

harlenm
08-26-2012, 17:51
Camera on the S3 is awesome. Its the best phone I've ever owned. Physical button is actually kinda nice.

I'd take the extra gig of ram over the different processor any day. This phone flies.

MtBaldy
08-26-2012, 17:51
No, but I'm due for an upgrade in Oct. and it's looking like a strong contender.

harlenm
08-26-2012, 18:04
Snapped these today.

http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z405/harlenm/20120826_143920.jpg

http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z405/harlenm/20120826_133830.jpg

ghostman1960
08-26-2012, 18:40
Snapped these today.

http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z405/harlenm/20120826_143920.jpg

http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z405/harlenm/20120826_133830.jpg

Cute kids and great pictures.

Fred G
08-27-2012, 09:09
Both the spouse and I upgraded our cell phones last week to the Samsung Galaxy SIII and we like most things about it. Great 8MP camera, fast, has the ability to connect to WiFi at home or anywhere that provides wifi. Only thing so far that I dislike about the phone is the S-Voice--this feature sucks as bad as the voice command feature on My Garmin Nuvi GPS. It is also large. It is almost impossible to do anything on it without using both hands.

harlenm
08-27-2012, 09:18
Both the spouse and I upgraded our cell phones last week to the Samsung Galaxy SIII and we like most things about it. Great 8MP camera, fast, has the ability to connect to WiFi at home or anywhere that provides wifi. Only thing so far that I dislike about the phone is the S-Voice--this feature sucks as bad as the voice command feature on My Garmin Nuvi GPS. It is also large. It is almost impossible to do anything on it without using both hands.

If you don't like s-voice, just don't use it.

ghostman1960
08-28-2012, 19:59
If you don't like s-voice, just don't use it.

I don't like it either so I don't use it. Its just a gimmick on a otherwise outstanding phone.

MtBaldy
08-28-2012, 20:34
No, but I'm due for an upgrade in Oct. and it's looking like a strong contender.

Went and played with one in Best Buy today while buying a phone cord for my mother. Me want.

Osborne
08-28-2012, 20:37
Nope used Android for 4 years. Had too many bad experiences and I was always a Apple hater but look at me now....

Samsung Galaxy is temping though the more I look into it the more I want it, but I think I'll stick with iPhone.

certifiedfunds
08-28-2012, 20:51
I'm curious....what do those cost?

F14Scott
08-28-2012, 20:59
Wife and I have had these for about two months. Love them. I rooted mine so I can be a WiFi hotspot for my Xoom tablet.

harlenm
08-28-2012, 21:29
I'm curious....what do those cost?

$199 for 16gb and $299 for 32gb. Why anyone would spend the extra $100 for 16gb is beyond me. I just ordered a 32gb sdcard for $24.

harlenm
08-28-2012, 21:29
Wife and I have had these for about two months. Love them. I rooted mine so I can be a WiFi hotspot for my Xoom tablet.

What rom are you using? I'm currently on Ariel 2.0.3.

certifiedfunds
08-28-2012, 21:43
$199 for 16gb and $299 for 32gb. Why anyone would spend the extra $100 for 16gb is beyond me. I just ordered a 32gb sdcard for $24.

That's sticker price or subsidized?

Wake_jumper
08-28-2012, 21:55
Cool phone, but an endangered species now that Apple has killed all the Samsung Galaxy products. As a new owner myself, I hope that the Apple judgment doesn't kill the on-going support for these phones. If you want one, you better get it now, because there likely won't be any more.

sputnik767
08-28-2012, 22:03
Cool phone, but an endangered species now that Apple has killed all the Samsung Galaxy products. As a new owner myself, I hope that the Apple judgment doesn't kill the on-going support for these phones. If you want one, you better get it now, because there likely won't be any more.

Nah, I wouldn't worry about it. This is far from over as Google now holds the Motorola patents from their acquisition. Plus, Samsung did not become the number 1 phone manufacturer by being shortsighted. I have a feeling you will see redesigned phones on sale should any ban come about. I have the Galaxy S II myself, and played with an S3. The S3 is one hell of a phone, and I do believe it to be by far the best phone on the market today. Plus, it ships with the bootloader unlocked (except for verizon, but it has already been hacked), and you can flash stock CyanogenMOD builds if you want pure Android.

ghostman1960
08-28-2012, 22:04

The products Apple wants off the market are all smartphones:

Galaxy S 4G
Galaxy S2 AT&T
Galaxy S2
Galaxy S2 T-Mobile
Galaxy S2 Epic 4G
Galaxy S Showcase
Droid Charge
Galaxy Prevail

All Older phones. The Galaxy S3 is not affected.

Rutha73
08-28-2012, 22:18
I have had mine for about a month, it is awesome! I am not sure about all the S stuff like S Voice, what is that? I like that I can talk to it and it types out what I am saying for texting! The camera is pretty sweet, I like the panoramic mode! So far this phone has been awesome!

F14Scott
08-29-2012, 05:50
What rom are you using? I'm currently on Ariel 2.0.3.

Just stock rooted. Someday, I'll take the time to play around with modded ROMs, but I value reliability and compatibility over all else.

Wake_jumper
08-29-2012, 07:40
The products Apple wants off the market are all smartphones:

Galaxy S 4G
Galaxy S2 AT&T
Galaxy S2
Galaxy S2 T-Mobile
Galaxy S2 Epic 4G
Galaxy S Showcase
Droid Charge
Galaxy Prevail

All Older phones. The Galaxy S3 is not affected.

The only reason the S3 isn't on this list is because it wasn't on the market yet. It will be included in the judgment.

Dennis in MA
08-29-2012, 09:11
Yer all gonna get sued! :rofl:

Dragoon189
08-29-2012, 09:15
several of my friends have it and it is an awesome phone, don't let the apple lemmings get to you.

CLena88
08-29-2012, 09:17
The only reason the S3 isn't on this list is because it wasn't on the market yet. It will be included in the judgment.

Judgment is passed, and the damages have been set.

SIII will not be included or effected, if apple wanted it blocked, they would have put in an injunction similar to what they did for the one x and EVO LTE.

CLena88
08-29-2012, 09:18
That's sticker price or subsidized?

subsidized, sticker between $550 and $700, depending on where you look.

Wake_jumper
08-29-2012, 09:36

SIII will not be included or effected, if apple wanted it blocked, they would have put in an injunction similar to what they did for the one x and EVO LTE.

Wishful thinking. Apple will not rest untill every phone that infringes on their patents is buried. They are already going after the S3 and seeking to add it to the judgement:

"Apple is seeking speedy bans on the sale of eight Samsung smartphones in the US, as it seeks to turn its $1bn court victory last Friday into a tangible business benefit over a key rival.

It faces a four-part test to persuade Judge Lucy Koh to implement the bans in September, against some of Samsung's Galaxy S phones – but might subsequently be able to snare this year's flagship Galaxy S3 model in a ban too without a full trial."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2012/aug/28/apple-ban-samsung-phones-galaxy-s3?newsfeed=true

CLena88
08-29-2012, 09:49
Be interesting to see if they can qualify it then, as it currently isn't listed on those eight phones in that article, only as a "might do it" if they get the ban on the first eight.

Also, they have to prove that banning it would not be against public interest, and that payment isn't enough. Keep in mind Apple couldn't even get the ban on the galaxy tab or galaxy nexus to stick for any real amount of time.

Also, look at what I said about injunctions, they tried on the SIII, we were told to expect delays in shipment because of it, and it failed.

P.S.-the we I mention is the people who sell them.

MtBaldy
08-29-2012, 10:10
Wishful thinking. Apple will not rest untill every phone that infringes on their patents is buried. They are already going after the S3 and seeking to add it to the judgement:

]

Well, ya scared me. I've got one in the mail now. Let's see them come take it from me.

ghostman1960
09-01-2012, 17:52

SEOUL, South Korea – Samsung on Saturday accused Apple of resorting to litigation in an effort to limit consumer choice after the iPhone maker said it was seeking to stop the sale of Galaxy S III smartphones in the United States.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2012/09/01/samsung-accuses-apple-trying-to-limit-consumer-choice/#ixzz25GVaFFC9

sputnik767
09-01-2012, 19:54
SEOUL, South Korea – Samsung on Saturday accused Apple of resorting to litigation in an effort to limit consumer choice after the iPhone maker said it was seeking to stop the sale of Galaxy S III smartphones in the United States.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2012/09/01/samsung-accuses-apple-trying-to-limit-consumer-choice/#ixzz25GVaFFC9

Apple trying to limit consumer choice? Say it isn't so. Just about every product they make, especially the iPhone is designed to offer as little choice as possible.

harlenm
09-01-2012, 19:58
They can take my Galaxy S III from my cold dead hands!!!

FetchMonster1
09-01-2012, 20:10
I got a Galaxy Nexus in Jan, it's been pretty nice. Those photos look a bit more sharp than mine usually do. I really like that no third party (motorolla) software was installed on it.

certifiedfunds
09-01-2012, 20:30
Wishful thinking. Apple will not rest untill every phone that infringes on their patents is buried.

As they absolutely should and must to fulfill their fiduciary duty to the shareholders.

certifiedfunds
09-01-2012, 20:33
Apple trying to limit consumer choice? Say it isn't so. Just about every product they make, especially the iPhone is designed to offer as little choice as possible.

I think you know that isn't true.

sputnik767
09-03-2012, 14:59
I think you know that isn't true.

It's completely true. Even at the most basic level, if you want to place a file on your device, you have to do it through itunes or various apps, you can't simply use it as a USB flash drive. If you don't like the built-in music/video player or want more formats played, too bad. Same goes for the camera app, email app, text messaging app, browser, etc. I don't even think you can download a save a file from the internet to an iphone, because there is no file manager functionality. And say what you will about flash player, but Apple does not allow it on their devices. Everything about the iphone is about limiting what the consumer can do with it, and it's all about what Apple wants you to do with it. The main reason why I don't own iOS devices, is because when I buy an iOS device I don't actually feel like it's my device. Let's put it this way, you would not buy a car if the manufacturer made it so that you can only drive no more than 55 mph, you would not buy a toaster that could only toast white bread, you would not buy a computer where every application had to be approved by the manufacturer before you could use it, etc. This is no different. I never said it's a bad device, but it absolutely limits your choice of what you can do with it.

DreamWeaver88
09-03-2012, 15:34
If you really don't know much about something....you really shouldn't post your opinion as hard facts. I'm not even going to bother with most of what was said....but as for downloading things and viewing the all important file system....here you go.

App is called "Downloads". You can download whatever you want.

http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL806/138216/326854/403835497.jpg

This app is called "iFile". You can view the entire filesystem of your phone, and probably bugger up the whole thing if you don't know what you're doing.

http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL806/138216/326854/403835495.jpg

http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL806/138216/326854/403835536.jpg

harlenm
09-03-2012, 15:40
Those screenshots from a jailbroken phone? Are those apps available to non jailbroken phones?

DreamWeaver88
09-03-2012, 15:41
Downloads is an app store app. iFile does require a jailbreak.

DreamWeaver88
09-03-2012, 15:47
Since this is a Galaxy S III thread......a guy at work got one a couple of weeks ago. I checked it out and it's a very nice phone. If it ran something other than Android, I might be interested.

Be careful though. He dropped it while getting out of his lawn chair onto his patio from about 2 feet high (so he told me). Cracked the screen. Now he has to wait for the first 30 days to go by before his insurance will kick in.

sputnik767
09-03-2012, 16:33
If you really don't know much about something....you really shouldn't post your opinion as hard facts. I'm not even going to bother with most of what was said....but as for downloading things and viewing the all important file system....here you go.

App is called "Downloads". You can download whatever you want.

http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL806/138216/326854/403835497.jpg

This app is called "iFile". You can view the entire filesystem of your phone, and probably bugger up the whole thing if you don't know what you're doing.

http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL806/138216/326854/403835495.jpg

http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL806/138216/326854/403835536.jpg

One, I'm speaking about stock phones, jailbroken/rooted ones don't count.

Two, on Android, I click the link, hit save, and I'm done. No need for separate apps to do something that should be done natively. Likewise, if I want a better camera app, music/video player, mms, phone, launcher (desktop) etc, it's all in the market. Does iOS give me the same options?

Three, feel free to not bother with anything I post, it's your choice. But if there is something I write that's incorrect, please correct me instead of being condescending. Sometimes my information is outdated and sometimes it's wrong. For example, I did not know about the apps that you mentioned, and honestly, the things I wrote about are what is keeping me from owning an i-device, among a few other things. If my reasoning is wrong, I would absolutely appreciate learning more about it. What most people don't realize is that I am not a fanboy to any platform, device, etc. I buy what I feel gives me more for my money, and if tomorrow Apple becomes ideal for me, you better believe my next device will have the bitten fruit logo on it. And I am not exactly new to Apple, I've had a macbook pro for 2 years.

Four: my GF dropped her iPhone 4 (in a case) from a counter onto the floor. It fell face down and cracked the screen. I hope you don't think that the iPhone is immune to glass breakage.

certifiedfunds
09-03-2012, 16:40
It's completely true. Even at the most basic level, if you want to place a file on your device, you have to do it through itunes or various apps, you can't simply use it as a USB flash drive. If you don't like the built-in music/video player or want more formats played, too bad. Same goes for the camera app, email app, text messaging app, browser, etc. I don't even think you can download a save a file from the internet to an iphone, because there is no file manager functionality. And say what you will about flash player, but Apple does not allow it on their devices. Everything about the iphone is about limiting what the consumer can do with it, and it's all about what Apple wants you to do with it. The main reason why I don't own iOS devices, is because when I buy an iOS device I don't actually feel like it's my device. Let's put it this way, you would not buy a car if the manufacturer made it so that you can only drive no more than 55 mph, you would not buy a toaster that could only toast white bread, you would not buy a computer where every application had to be approved by the manufacturer before you could use it, etc. This is no different. I never said it's a bad device, but it absolutely limits your choice of what you can do with it.

Their products are designed to maximize profit.

sputnik767
09-03-2012, 16:46
Their products are designed to maximize profit.

Absolutely. And they do an excellent job at it. There is no denying that Apple is extremely successful with their business model. I just hope that their rigid and inflexible business model will not lead to their demise in the end. I like competition, and I think the consumer benefits from it. Had Apple not been setting the benchmarks for quality and performance, we would not have the kinds of products we have today.

G29Reload
09-03-2012, 16:54
They're also designed to protect a closed ecosystem, hence the massive resistance to viruses and trojans. You get something for the control you cede.

You can download files from the net, I do it all the time. That's why there's a downloads folder, well on my mac anyway.

You have multiple media viewers, you don't have to use the itunes viewer. I prefer and use Quicktime. The .m4v's I like can be downloaded or ripped by me, handled by me thru the file manager (Finder) and played on QT without using itTunes.

I don't have an iphone because I like BlackBerry notifications but I use a 4th gen ipod touch which is essentially an iphone without the phone. It uses the same apps. I do need to sync things for that thru itunes but it hasnt been a problem.

I mean, how many different types of files are there?

Documents?
Music
Vids
Pics
Apps.

So…plenty to handle all that…spreadsheets? If you have the sW on board to use those files, you can download those files. And all the Apple stuff handles all the MS stuff.

.docs open in Pages
.xls opens in Numbers

Etc.

certifiedfunds
09-03-2012, 17:40
Absolutely. And they do an excellent job at it. There is no denying that Apple is extremely successful with their business model. I just hope that their rigid and inflexible business model will not lead to their demise in the end. I like competition, and I think the consumer benefits from it. Had Apple not been setting the benchmarks for quality and performance, we would not have the kinds of products we have today.

The closed vs open model is something I'm intimately familiar with. If you're selling a user experience, which apple is, you have to have controls in place. They don't try to be everything to everyone. That's a race to the bottom in terms of margin and profitability.

Business has spoken. In terms of tablets and phones, they like the control. Education has spoken as well and chose control. For every tinkerer who wants a single phone or tablet that they can root and tweak, there's a school or business buying 1,000 iPads.

If apple were to open things up to an anything goes droid or windows paradigm they would completely abandon the % of the market buying a user experience of "it just works". Then they are left to compete in the low margin race to the bottom with Dell or whatever generic pc company you choose. You can't do both.

686Owner
09-03-2012, 18:26
It's completely true. Even at the most basic level, if you want to place a file on your device, you have to do it through itunes or various apps, you can't simply use it as a USB flash drive. If you don't like the built-in music/video player or want more formats played, too bad. Same goes for the camera app, email app, text messaging app, browser, etc. I don't even think you can download a save a file from the internet to an iphone, because there is no file manager functionality.

There are many camera apps out there, at least one email app (sparrow, but I think they may have stopped making it, not sure) several browsers (opera, chrome etc). There are some apps that play music, mp3s even, and a quick search reveals many video players in the app store.

Yeah, you can't change the defaults, but Apple has opened up what they will allow for apps tremendously.

sputnik767
09-03-2012, 21:56
There are many camera apps out there, at least one email app (sparrow, but I think they may have stopped making it, not sure) several browsers (opera, chrome etc). There are some apps that play music, mp3s even, and a quick search reveals many video players in the app store.

Yeah, you can't change the defaults, but Apple has opened up what they will allow for apps tremendously.

Ok, that's good to know. And I completely agree that Apple is selling the user experience, which I will agree is second to none. And for most people, Apple gadgets are everything they need.

Z71bill
10-17-2012, 13:06
My daughter's phone just stopped working yesterday -

We are past our normal phone upgrade by almost a year - can't recall ever keeping the same phone for over 3 years - it is time to upgrade.

I pick up 3 Samsung Galaxy S III phones today at 4:30 PM

I feel patriotic - one each - red, white and blue.

$148 each for the phones (and I assume $36 upgrade fee) plus $210 a month for unlimited voice & text + 10GB of shared data.

I would have given IPhone 5 a look but none in stock - maybe next time.

Taphius
10-17-2012, 15:38
My daughter's phone just stopped working yesterday -

We are past our normal phone upgrade by almost a year - can't recall ever keeping the same phone for over 3 years - it is time to upgrade.

I pick up 3 Samsung Galaxy S III phones today at 4:30 PM

I feel patriotic - one each - red, white and blue.

$148 each for the phones (and I assume $36 upgrade fee) plus $210 a month for unlimited voice & text + 10GB of shared data.

I would have given IPhone 5 a look but none in stock - maybe next time.

Call up ATT they should wave the upgrade fee if you've been with them for awhile

Z71bill
10-17-2012, 16:07
Call up ATT they should wave the upgrade fee if you've been with them for awhile

They want $200 for the phones -with no upgrade fee, free 2-3 day shipping; local store is $148 + $36 upgrade fee = $184.

They get you one way or the other.

MtBaldy
10-17-2012, 16:24
I see I never updated this. I've had mine for about a month now and like it. I've barely scratched the surface of what it can do but I've been having fun downloading apps.

sputnik767
10-17-2012, 16:49
I see I never updated this. I've had mine for about a month now and like it. I've barely scratched the surface of what it can do but I've been having fun downloading apps.

I've had mine for about a month as well. Hands-down the best phone on the market right now, in my opinion.

certifiedfunds
10-17-2012, 18:19
My 64Gb ip5 finally arrived. I'm pleased. Very fast. Lots of new handy features in ios6. The phone itself is beautiful. Very light.

I'm sure droid has features I don't and I'm cool with that. Pretty much just wanted what I had but faster.

686Owner
10-17-2012, 21:16
My 64Gb ip5 finally arrived. I'm pleased. Very fast. Lots of new handy features in ios6. The phone itself is beautiful. Very light.

I'm sure droid has features I don't and I'm cool with that. Pretty much just wanted what I had but faster.

Weird thread to post it in. :)

Congrats. I reserved mine from an Apple store a few weeks back because my wife's Android was acting up again, so I didn't want to wait. Gave her my iPhone 4.

certifiedfunds
10-17-2012, 21:39
Weird thread to post it in. :)

Congrats. I reserved mine from an Apple store a few weeks back because my wife's Android was acting up again, so I didn't want to wait. Gave her my iPhone 4.

Sorry. Phone surfing and thought it had been broached already.

Fred Hansen
10-18-2012, 06:00
Love my S3

Taphius
10-18-2012, 12:47
Got mine release day. Huge upgrade from my Inspire 4g. Loving my hyperion extended battery and 10 hours of screen on time

G29Reload
10-18-2012, 14:21
I just picked up mine last Saturday.

It's turning out well so far. I miss the blakberry bold a little bit.

But less every day as I get used to it.

The Nav turn by turn directions were put to use this morning on a trip from N VA to downtown baltimore and back. Awesome, did not chew up a lot of bandwidth and no cost to use from Verizon. Accurate.

Camera OK.

4G awesome if you're in a 4G area.

You do need to manage your bandwidth and ENERGY. Watch your settings. Havent had to root it yet, a lot of control options. Quick pull down menu for hot items keeps you from getting lost looking for basic needs while wading thru all the vast features.

Taphius
10-18-2012, 15:03
I just picked up mine last Saturday.

It's turning out well so far. I miss the blakberry bold a little bit.

But less every day as I get used to it.

The Nav turn by turn directions were put to use this morning on a trip from N VA to downtown baltimore and back. Awesome, did not chew up a lot of bandwidth and no cost to use from Verizon. Accurate.

Camera OK.

4G awesome if you're in a 4G area.

You do need to manage your bandwidth and ENERGY. Watch your settings. Havent had to root it yet, a lot of control options. Quick pull down menu for hot items keeps you from getting lost looking for basic needs while wading thru all the vast features.

I use green power to manage my wifi only, android seems to take far to long to turn it off when screen goes off. I also make it sync when screen is unlocked.

Makes the battery last much longer and does not affect usability at all

sputnik767
10-18-2012, 15:45

I've actually had 2 people who have the iphone 5 tell me that they should have gone with the Galaxy S3 after playing with my phone. Plus, my GF who currently uses the iPhone 4 told me she wants my phone at her next upgrade. One was complaining about the complicated way to call the person who just texted her, and I showed her by pulling up one of her texts and simply bringing the phone to my ear in order to call her. For the other one, it was the fact that all I had to do to silence a phone call is to flip the phone over, and slide the edge my hand over the screen to take a screenshot. Otherwise, it's features like being able to silence an alarm by saying "snooze" or "stop" and of course the fact that I can access all of the quick setting such as wifi and bluetooth right from the notification drawer. And I have no idea why Apple did not include an NFC chip in their phone.

Point is, the Iphone 5 is exactly the same as the iphone 4s, which the same as the iphone 4, features-wise. The iphone 5 has an impressive CPU (better than any on the market currently), but the screen is still tiny (I have had at least a 4.3" screen for the past 3 years) and does not provide a 720p resolution like the S3. The thing is, all of the features of the S3 are nothing special, just very nice to have and make the device quicker and easier to use. The only thing that stops Apple from actually providing something new and useful is the fact that they can get away with just the basics. All of the new features of iOS 6 are nothing new to Android users, who've been able to take panoramic pictures and dismiss phone calls with a text for a year or more now. The Mail app does not even come close to Android's Gmail integration, and don't even get me started on Apple's decision to dump Google Maps for their horribly underdeveloped Maps app. I was actually hoping that iOS 6 would bring some groundbreaking new changes because I still look to Apple for setting the standard. Needless to say I am very disappointed, and I have a feeling I will be reevaluating my position, as are a lot of people. Apple has given up their "wow" factor, which unfortunately is all they had going for them as of late.

Z71bill
10-18-2012, 15:59
Just got home with 3 new S3 phones
l feel like an old dog trying to learn a new trick! Took me 5 minutes to learn how to make a phone call. I will not say how long it took me to type this message :embarassed: Hope it gets easier. Sent from my new blue S3!

certifiedfunds
10-18-2012, 16:43
I've actually had 2 people who have the iphone 5 tell me that they should have gone with the Galaxy S3 after playing with my phone. Plus, my GF who currently uses the iPhone 4 told me she wants my phone at her next upgrade. One was complaining about the complicated way to call the person who just texted her, and I showed her by pulling up one of her texts and simply bringing the phone to my ear in order to call her. For the other one, it was the fact that all I had to do to silence a phone call is to flip the phone over, and slide the edge my hand over the screen to take a screenshot. Otherwise, it's features like being able to silence an alarm by saying "snooze" or "stop" and of course the fact that I can access all of the quick setting such as wifi and bluetooth right from the notification drawer. And I have no idea why Apple did not include an NFC chip in their phone.

Point is, the Iphone 5 is exactly the same as the iphone 4s, which the same as the iphone 4, features-wise. The iphone 5 has an impressive CPU (better than any on the market currently), but the screen is still tiny (I have had at least a 4.3" screen for the past 3 years) and does not provide a 720p resolution like the S3. The thing is, all of the features of the S3 are nothing special, just very nice to have and make the device quicker and easier to use. The only thing that stops Apple from actually providing something new and useful is the fact that they can get away with just the basics. All of the new features of iOS 6 are nothing new to Android users, who've been able to take panoramic pictures and dismiss phone calls with a text for a year or more now. The Mail app does not even come close to Android's Gmail integration, and don't even get me started on Apple's decision to dump Google Maps for their horribly underdeveloped Maps app. I was actually hoping that iOS 6 would bring some groundbreaking new changes because I still look to Apple for setting the standard. Needless to say I am very disappointed, and I have a feeling I will be reevaluating my position, as are a lot of people. Apple has given up their "wow" factor, which unfortunately is all they had going for them as of late.

I don't really disagree with most of that. Thing is, its what I wanted. Will re-evaluate next year or whenever something new comes up.

I'm in the ecosphere. I have a limited feature set that I need and use on a daily basis and it's intuitive at this point. I just wanted that, but better. A lot of people agree with me. A lot disagree.

Honestly, now that I have it I'm glad it wasn't a radical change, just 4x faster than what I was carrying in the 4 with a better display and better camera. IO6 is pleasing.

sputnik767
10-18-2012, 17:00
I don't really disagree with most of that. Thing is, its what I wanted. Will re-evaluate next year or whenever something new comes up.

I'm in the ecosphere. I have a limited feature set that I need and use on a daily basis and it's intuitive at this point. I just wanted that, but better. A lot of people agree with me. A lot disagree.

Honestly, now that I have it I'm glad it wasn't a radical change, just 4x faster than what I was carrying in the 4 with a better display and better camera. IO6 is pleasing.

All that matters is that you are satisfied with your purchase. The rest is just empty debate.

certifiedfunds
10-18-2012, 18:32
All that matters is that you are satisfied with your purchase. The rest is just empty debate.

The S3 is very nice. It was tempting.

Taphius
10-18-2012, 20:03
Just got home with 3 new S3 phones
l feel like an old dog trying to learn a new trick! Took me 5 minutes to learn how to make a phone call. I will not say how long it took me to type this message :embarassed: Hope it gets easier. Sent from my new blue S3!

Much to learn....much to learn

http://i.imgur.com/TDPF6.jpghttp://i.imgur.com/btQVX.jpg

Team Asylum CM10 rom

Ralff
10-19-2012, 06:49
Much to learn....much to learn

http://i.imgur.com/TDPF6.jpghttp://i.imgur.com/btQVX.jpg

Team Asylum CM10 rom

Heh, I'm still using a CM10 nightly from the beginning of last month. Too lazy to backup my apps again to update. :rofl:

eracer
10-19-2012, 07:04
It's fast approaching renewal time for my T-Mobile contract.

My G2 is starting to fall apart at the seams, and I'm actively debating whether to get the SIII or jump ship and get an iPhone5.

I have heard rumors that T-Mobile will get the iPhone5 next year, but my contract ends next month, and I doubt they'd let me pre-order an iPhone if I told them I'd stick with them.

sputnik767
10-19-2012, 14:40

My G2 is starting to fall apart at the seams, and I'm actively debating whether to get the SIII or jump ship and get an iPhone5.

I have heard rumors that T-Mobile will get the iPhone5 next year, but my contract ends next month, and I doubt they'd let me pre-order an iPhone if I told them I'd stick with them.

You will not be disappointed with either phone. Just pick based on your wants/needs. Do you like the larger screen, idea of open source, or have a lot invested in Android apps? If so, those would be compelling reasons for the S3.

Z71bill
10-19-2012, 17:03
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taphius

They want $200 for the phones -with no upgrade fee, free 2-3 day shipping; local store is $148 + $36 upgrade fee = $184.

They get you one way or the other.

They did wave the $36 X 3 = $108 fee :supergrin:

I have been a customer since 1990 - I should have tried harder.

I turned around and bought Otter box commuter cases & the 32GB micro-SD thingy for all three phones -

Amazon has the best deals - phone store wanted $40 for each case (any color as long as I wanted white) & $50 for the SD - Amazon was $19 for the case (2 purple & 1 black) $20 for the SD.

Hope I get the cases before someone drops/breaks one of the phones.

Taphius
10-19-2012, 17:09
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taphius

They did wave the $36 X 3 = $108 fee :supergrin:

I have been a customer since 1990 - I should have tried harder.

I turned around and bought Otter box commuter cases & the 32GB micro-SD thingy for all three phones -

Amazon has the best deals - phone store wanted $40 for each case (any color as long as I wanted white) & $50 for the SD - Amazon was $19 for the case (2 purple & 1 black) $20 for the SD.

Grats on the refund :) Check monoprice out for accessories. Their dot defender case is cheap and easily as protective as the otterbox

Gallium
10-19-2012, 17:22

Snag a few screen protectors off Amazon too. Don't buy the ones out of Hong Kong - you won't get them for two weeks, even though they are tempting at 99cents or so each.

Also pick up another USB wall charger, two car chargers and a couple of USB cables so you are never schlepping chargers when you go out.

sputnik767
10-19-2012, 17:59
Snag a few screen protectors off Amazon too. Don't buy the ones out of Hong Kong - you won't get them for two weeks, even though they are tempting at 99cents or so each.

Also pick up another USB wall charger, two car chargers and a couple of USB cables so you are never schlepping chargers when you go out.

I personally do not use screen protectors. They will not do a thing if you drop the phone screen down, and only serve to protect the screen from scratches if you have a habit of carrying your phone in the same pocket as your keys, which is a bad idea no matter what. But they do interfere with the actual display, as you will be looking at what is probably the most high-tech portable device display on the market through a crappy, Chinese-made piece of plastic. I have never had any scratches on my phones, going back to the original Evo, the Galaxy S2 and now the S3, and have never used screen protectors.

As far as chargers go, make sure you buy the ones with the same amperage rating as the stock charger, which is believe is 1A. Many aftermarket chargers are only 500mA, which will charge much slower, or not at all if you are using the GPS and maybe Pandora at the same time. I believe you can safely use higher output chargers as well. I have never had issues using my 2A tablet charger with my phones.

Gallium
10-19-2012, 18:15
I personally do not use screen protectors. They will not do a thing if you drop the phone screen down, and only serve to protect the screen from scratches if you have a habit of carrying your phone in the same pocket as your keys, which is a bad idea no matter what. But they do interfere with the actual display, as you will be looking at what is probably the most high-tech portable device display on the market through a crappy, Chinese-made piece of plastic. I have never had any scratches on my phones, going back to the original Evo, the Galaxy S2 and now the S3, and have never used screen protectors.

As far as chargers go, make sure you buy the ones with the same amperage rating as the stock charger, which is believe is 1A. Many aftermarket chargers are only 500mA, which will charge much slower, or not at all if you are using the GPS and maybe Pandora at the same time. I believe you can safely use higher output chargers as well. I have never had issues using my 2A tablet charger with my phones.

Your experiences do not cover the entire user spectrum experience. I am giving mine, as you have given yours.

1. I have had a screen protector save my screen when my phone fell face down in a gravel driveway. I had to throw the screen protector away. Without it I would have had a dimple on my phone's screen.

2. There is zero difference with regards to user experience on my Galaxy with the screen protector on, or off. I also have them on my Touchpad and iPads.

3. The USB2.0 power specification is 100mA per unit device, for a maximum of 5 unit devices. A charging port, has a different power rating. Attaching a device to your computer that meets the USB standard will not damage your device. At worst, your device may not recognize it (this is not the case with the Galaxy phones, say compared to an iPad or Touchbook), typically the net result is a longer charge time compared to a standard USB charging device (which are rated up to 2000mA).

For those of us who have kids, etc, it is not always feasible for us to always compartmentalize what goes in which pockets. ZBill may not have young kids, but kids again are a good reason to have a screen protector on a phone (or a sharp pair of hedge trimmers to cut their fingers off if they touch your phone).

certifiedfunds
10-19-2012, 18:52
Hedge trimmers are reusable and serve multiple purposes.

Good kitchen shears work well too.

Gallium
10-19-2012, 19:04
Hedge trimmers are reusable and serve multiple purposes.

Good kitchen shears work well too.

Old school paper cutters are the best, but sadly, not as portable as kitchen shears. :cool:

certifiedfunds
10-19-2012, 19:25
Old school paper cutters are the best, but sadly, not as portable as kitchen shears. :cool:

Paper cutters are quick and less painful. I'm not sure the lesson sticks.

Gallium
10-19-2012, 19:32
Paper cutters are quick and less painful. I'm not sure the lesson sticks.

I concur. A brief cauterization session immediately after over a blue flame helps to make the issue marinate.

malleable
10-19-2012, 23:32
I'm overall happy with the phone, but surprised that if you power it off, any texts received while off will show the time received as when you power back on vs the actual time the message was sent.
Obviously mute is the solution but if trying to maximize battery life...

boomhower
10-20-2012, 00:17

Pick the one that you like best. If you want Android the S3 is a great choice, but I would take a look at the new Razr HD's as well. Also a new Nexus is coming in the next month or so as well.(If I went Android, it would be a Nexus, vanilla Android over add on junk for me) If you like iOS the iPhone 5 is the ticket. It's having some growing pains and is hard to get your hands on. Both OS's are great, just get what you prefer.

rmhovis
10-20-2012, 08:46
In terms of iPhone vs. SIII, you can replace battery in SIII, iPhone not so much.

droidfire
10-20-2012, 09:23

Before you decide on the S3, look at the Samsung Relay if coming from a G2

sputnik767
10-20-2012, 20:53
I'm overall happy with the phone, but surprised that if you power it off, any texts received while off will show the time received as when you power back on vs the actual time the message was sent.
Obviously mute is the solution but if trying to maximize battery life...

Blame the Samsung messaging app for that. The stock Android app give you the option of having the timestamps display the time message was sent or the time it was received. You can try a different app such as GO SMS if you want to play around with it. I agree that it's a pain, because I like to see when the message was actually sent, and not the time it landed on my phone.

As far as maximizing battery life, I'm not really following. Are you keeping the phone off to maximize battery life? This phone will easily last me 12-14 hours of heavier use, and well over 24 hours of lighter use. And that includes about 2 hours of screen time and maybe 30 mins of phone calls.

brisk21
10-21-2012, 08:17
I have always been with Android. Pretty much since it came out. I have always loathed Apple products, even in the 90's. I just hate how Apple appeals to people that have no idea about the products. I know alot of people who have said they wanted an Iphone, but can't tell me why. They don't even understand the difference between open source and closed source. Now, about a month ago, I was in the market for a new phone. (Only because I was eligible for an upgrade, my bionic is less than a year old, lol..) I decided to be a little more objective and take a look at the Iphone 5. I did my research, and checked it out at the store. And I quickly remembered why I don't like Apple. It just seemed like a slightly larger Iphone 3g that could FINALLY get 4g. I am VERY impressed with the Galaxy S3. It is easily the best smartphone out there, operating on the best system, Android. I honstly can say that I would reccomend the Iphone 5 to someone that wants a smartphone and isn't going to use it.

686Owner
10-21-2012, 08:24
I have always been with Android. Pretty much since it came out. I have always loathed Apple products, even in the 90's. I just hate how Apple appeals to people that have no idea about the products. I know alot of people who have said they wanted an Iphone, but can't tell me why. They don't even understand the difference between open source and closed source. Now, about a month ago, I was in the market for a new phone. (Only because I was eligible for an upgrade, my bionic is less than a year old, lol..) I decided to be a little more objective and take a look at the Iphone 5. I did my research, and checked it out at the store. And I quickly remembered why I don't like Apple. It just seemed like a slightly larger Iphone 3g that could FINALLY get 4g. I am VERY impressed with the Galaxy S3. It is easily the best smartphone out there, operating on the best system, Android. I honstly can say that I would reccomend the Iphone 5 to someone that wants a smartphone and isn't going to use it.

And the S3 is a slightly larger S2 that FINALLY has 4G (or did you forget the S2 didn't have 4G either?)

certifiedfunds
10-21-2012, 08:34
And the S3 is a slightly larger S2 that FINALLY has 4G (or did you forget the S2 didn't have 4G either?)

:rofl::rofl:

brisk21
10-21-2012, 08:35

Well, Ive have 4G andriod smartphones since shortly after they came out. Years now. Your right about the S2, but thats my point about android. With andriod, you have choices. The only choice with apple is either yes or no. Right now, Samsung has the best phone. In a year or so, it may be Motorola, HTC, LG, Blackberry, pantech (probably not), or Casio (probably not). Whoever it is, you can choose. The android operating system works great on all these phones. Your contacts, data, music, pictures, or whatever transfer easily to your new phone. My S3 syncs with my windows pc seamlessly. Android is getting better every year. Apple is just......the same. I mean, they didn't get a 4g phone with a 4" screen until a month ago. You still can't remove the battery or upgrade your memory capacity.

Z71bill
10-21-2012, 08:45
After lunch yesterday (as a test I knew how to get home) - I used the S3 & Google maps to give me voice turn by turn directions home.

Sort of cool - when I pull into the driveway it says I have arrived :upeyes:

I look at the screen on the phone - and see a picture of MY HOUSE! :faint:

So now Google knows where I live. :rofl:

686Owner
10-21-2012, 08:54
Well, Ive have 4G andriod smartphones since shortly after they came out. Years now. Your right about the S2, but thats my point about android. With andriod, you have choices. The only choice with apple is either yes or no. Right now, Samsung has the best phone. In a year or so, it may be Motorola, HTC, LG, Blackberry, pantech (probably not), or Casio (probably not). Whoever it is, you can choose. The android operating system works great on all these phones. Your contacts, data, music, pictures, or whatever transfer easily to your new phone. My S3 syncs with my windows pc seamlessly. Android is getting better every year. Apple is just......the same. I mean, they didn't get a 4g phone with a 4" screen until a month ago. You still can't remove the battery or upgrade your memory capacity.

And you won't be able to do that either.

I have to admit, I did take the chip out of my wife's Android phone one time to put her music on it. And we removed the battery a few times when it locked up.

If it had not been so glitchy, my wife probably would have been happy to get another Android (or actually just keep the one she had).

I guess you could say that any phone only has a "yes or no" choice. If that phone doesn't have whatever you are looking for you have to choose another phone. And the iPhone is no different from any other phone in that regard. It's answer just happens to be no to a few of the questions where you want a yes.

686Owner
10-21-2012, 08:55
After lunch yesterday (as a test I knew how to get home) - I used the S3 & Google maps to give me voice turn by turn directions home.

And don't think they won't use that information.

certifiedfunds
10-21-2012, 08:57

And when you're home, when you're not, and where you got between.

brisk21
10-21-2012, 09:07
And you won't be able to do that either.

I have to admit, I did take the chip out of my wife's Android phone one time to put her music on it. And we removed the battery a few times when it locked up.

If it had not been so glitchy, my wife probably would have been happy to get another Android (or actually just keep the one she had).

I guess you could say that any phone only has a "yes or no" choice. If that phone doesn't have whatever you are looking for you have to choose another phone. And the iPhone is no different from any other phone in that regard. It's answer just happens to be no to a few of the questions where you want a yes.

Yes, Android phones can be glitchy. Its not as bad as it used to be, and it soon will be a thing of the past. Small price to pay for an open source system. When I refer to "yes or no" Im comparing IOS to Android. If you want IOS, you have one choice. If you want Android, you have LOTS of choices.

686Owner
10-21-2012, 09:20
Yes, Android phones can be glitchy. Its not as bad as it used to be, and it soon will be a thing of the past. Small price to pay for an open source system. When I refer to "yes or no" Im comparing IOS to Android. If you want IOS, you have one choice. If you want Android, you have LOTS of choices.

I don't want Android or iOS, I want a phone.

brisk21
10-21-2012, 10:19

Nothing wrong with keeping things simple. I love my smartphones. Some people just want a phone though.

droidfire
10-21-2012, 13:52
Nothing wrong with keeping things simple. I love my smartphones. Some people just want a phone though.

Or the opposite. The whole reason I learned to mess with Android was to eliminate the phone part of it - cleanly.

I don't need or want a phone, it's just something you're stuck with to get a pocket computer with an anywhere data connection.

To each their own though.

brisk21
10-21-2012, 14:37
Or the opposite. The whole reason I learned to mess with Android was to eliminate the phone part of it - cleanly.

I don't need or want a phone, it's just something you're stuck with to get a pocket computer with an anywhere data connection.

To each their own though.

You could get a 3g tablet, or an iPod.

sputnik767
10-21-2012, 15:24

I had the S2 and it did have 4G. Wimax rather than LTE, but 4G regardless. I don't know about the AT&T/International version, but the Sprint version has Wimax.

Gallium
10-21-2012, 17:47

My S2 has 4G, and the 4G speeds as well - so it's not just a an icon on the screen.

JuneyBooney
10-22-2012, 00:30
If I wanted a tablet I'd get an iPad.

Aren't phones supposed to be small? Don't you guys feel funny holding large bricks up to your head? :whistling::faint:

JuneyBooney
10-22-2012, 00:32

I fully agree. I actually use my phone to talk on..I guess that is old school.:rofl:

droidfire
10-22-2012, 00:47
You could get a 3g tablet, or an iPod.

Yea... I tried it with the nook color, but a 7 inch tablet is too big to be portable without a bag. I know it doesn't have anywhere internet, but was a cheap test of the form factor.

I had an ipod touch, but it's just too limited in capabilities and no memory card slot really killed it for me.

With the S3 I have a big enough screen to enjoy, and beyond the 32 gigs on-board and 64 gig microsd card, can plug flash drives right into it to access all my digital media in a nice orderly fashion.

Heck, with a powered hub I can hook up 5 flash drives at once - looking at a couple hundred gigs of local storage immediately available.

The ease of setting up fpse and a playstation controller to it with ready output to tv allows me to play games wherever, and again the screen is big enough to enjoy them on when no tv is available.

If apple could give half the technology android does, and a fraction of the freedom to run the device the way I want, i'd give it another shot.

As it stands I sold my ipod touch and macbook a while ago because apple tech is just too far behind the technology curve for the price they are asking.

686Owner
10-22-2012, 05:34
I had the S2 and it did have 4G. Wimax rather than LTE, but 4G regardless. I don't know about the AT&T/International version, but the Sprint version has Wimax.

I thought sprint speeds were slower than everyone else's?

I guess the iPhone 4S had 4G too with HSPA+ :)

sputnik767
10-22-2012, 09:36
I thought sprint speeds were slower than everyone else's?

I guess the iPhone 4S had 4G too with HSPA+ :)

I could regularly see 10 Mb/s+ on Sprint Wimax in certain areas, and 6-8 Mb/s in most others that had Wimax. And just yesterday I ran a speed test on my S3 in downtown Manhattan on 3G (no Sprint LTE in NYC yet), and pulled 2.5 Mb/s down and about 1.5 Mb/s up. That's on par with the best from Verizon. I also regularly see around 2 Mb/s down on 3G in Nassau county, Long Island. Sprint speeds suck in a lot of areas, but so do Verizon's. But they are improving, and are actually comparable to VZ in many places.

Regardless, Wimax is a 4G service (or at the very least different from 3G service), whereas HSPA+ is not truly 4G IIRC. The Galaxy S2 on Sprint did support 4G. The best I've seen my friend's 4S on AT&T pull down was 5-6 Mb/s. In the same area, I was getting over 10 at the same time over Wimax. While 5 Mb/s+ over HSPA+ (what is essentially a 3G standard) is impressive, it does not come close to the 20+ Mb/s speeds I've seen LTE phones pull for probably a year now.

686Owner
10-22-2012, 10:01
I could regularly see 10 Mb/s+ on Sprint Wimax in certain areas, and 6-8 Mb/s in most others that had Wimax. And just yesterday I ran a speed test on my S3 in downtown Manhattan on 3G (no Sprint LTE in NYC yet), and pulled 2.5 Mb/s down and about 1.5 Mb/s up. That's on par with the best from Verizon. I also regularly see around 2 Mb/s down on 3G in Nassau county, Long Island. Sprint speeds suck in a lot of areas, but so do Verizon's. But they are improving, and are actually comparable to VZ in many places.

Regardless, Wimax is a 4G service (or at the very least different from 3G service), whereas HSPA+ is not truly 4G IIRC. The Galaxy S2 on Sprint did support 4G. The best I've seen my friend's 4S on AT&T pull down was 5-6 Mb/s. In the same area, I was getting over 10 at the same time over Wimax. While 5 Mb/s+ over HSPA+ (what is essentially a 3G standard) is impressive, it does not come close to the 20+ Mb/s speeds I've seen LTE phones pull for probably a year now.

I saw a few reviews saying people were actually getting slower wimax speeds than they were getting on 3G on Verizon or AT&T. I didn't dig any farther than that.

I've only tested at home and at work, but I'm only getting 8 to 10 mbps max on Verizon 4G lately. When I first got my phone I was seeing 20+mbps pretty regularly. Still a far cry from 1gbps that 4G is supposed to be capable of.

woodasptim
10-22-2012, 11:48
I'm thinking about switching over in January when my contract is up. Are there any decent cases out there that don't turn these things into giant bricks? They look pretty fragile.

Gallium
10-22-2012, 12:48
I'm thinking about switching over in January when my contract is up. Are there any decent cases out there that don't turn these things into giant bricks? They look pretty fragile.

The choices are ... plenty.

woodasptim
10-22-2012, 12:59
The choices are ... plenty.

Your response is ... useless. :rofl:

sputnik767
10-22-2012, 15:51
I saw a few reviews saying people were actually getting slower wimax speeds than they were getting on 3G on Verizon or AT&T. I didn't dig any farther than that.

I've only tested at home and at work, but I'm only getting 8 to 10 mbps max on Verizon 4G lately. When I first got my phone I was seeing 20+mbps pretty regularly. Still a far cry from 1gbps that 4G is supposed to be capable of.

You can always find people who get poor speeds on whatever wireless standard you choose, and a lot of factors come into play. The average speeds I've seen "published" with wimax were in the neighborhood of 6 Mb/s, which is right around what I used to get in an area with moderate wimax signal. With strong signal, I've topped out at roughly double, and averaged around 8-9 Mb/s. Where I live, I was lucky to get around 2 Mb/s, but that was with 1 bar Wimax. Sprint 3G around here will pull maybe 200 Kb/s, so still Wimax was a big improvement. I think I live in a dead zone.

sputnik767
10-22-2012, 15:53

Well, if you are going with the S3, there are probably a hundred cases for it. What do you need a case for? To protect from minor scratches when you slide it around a table and you never drop it, or are you a klutz who drops his phone 3 times per day? Everything is a trade off. I never drop my phone, so I bought a tiny Incipio case.

Gallium
10-22-2012, 16:07

Like the big brained doctor in training said - there are plenty of choices. Do you want to wear your phone on your hip accessory style, around your neck lanyard style, in your pocket discreet style, or blinged out Gangnam style?

When you decide what phone you are getting, and how you plan on lugging it around, simply get on Amazon.com and take a look around.

If it's handholding you need, try a daycare facility. :wavey:

woodasptim
10-22-2012, 16:22
Like the big brained doctor in training said - there are plenty of choices. Do you want to wear your phone on your hip accessory style, around your neck lanyard style, in your pocket discreet style, or blinged out Gangnam style?

When you decide what phone you are getting, and how you plan on lugging it around, simply get on Amazon.com and take a look around.

If it's handholding you need, try a daycare facility. :wavey:

Sorry. I forgot that GNG was full of unhelpful *********s. What are forums for again? Oh yeah, being unhelpful douchbags. That's it.

I guess no one knows of a decent (provides moderate protection, with a good build quality) smallish (doesn't turn the phone into a brick?) case for the S3, I'll take my inquiry to google. Thanks.

woodasptim
10-22-2012, 16:25
Well, if you are going with the S3, there are probably a hundred cases for it. What do you need a case for? To protect from minor scratches when you slide it around a table and you never drop it, or are you a klutz who drops his phone 3 times per day? Everything is a trade off. I never drop my phone, so I bought a tiny Incipio case.

Something tiny would be good. No one can reasonably expect bombproof and tiny. The Urban Armor Gear looks interesting. How's the Incipio working out for you?

Gallium
10-22-2012, 16:52
Sorry. I forgot that GNG was full of unhelpful *********s. What are forums for again? Oh yeah, being unhelpful douchbags. That's it.

I guess no one knows of a decent (provides moderate protection, with a good build quality) smallish (doesn't turn the phone into a brick?) case for the S3, I'll take my inquiry to google. Thanks.

We purchased five different types for a total of eight cases for our two phones. All the reviews and recommendations did was underscore how big a market there is for phone accessories.

If you didn't find either of my posts helpful a simple "thank you" would have sufficed:cool:.

If you asked the owner of this site or the moderators of this specific forum, I think I hold some sort of record for infractions for insulting other well-deserving members.

I won't engage you in dialogue anymore. Clearly you have some sort of violent reaction to *******s. Though it appears you've built up enough anti-bodies to tolerate yourself.

sputnik767
10-22-2012, 18:46
Something tiny would be good. No one can reasonably expect bombproof and tiny. The Urban Armor Gear looks interesting. How's the Incipio working out for you?

Basically, I didn't buy a case for protection, so to speak. At least not for protection in case of a drop. I basically wanted something that's barely there, yet will allow me to place my phone on whatever surface I need to without any cosmetic damage. The case I bought has virtually no "lip" that goes over the front part of the phone, so if I drop the phone face down, the screen will likely take a beating. All it literally does is prevent the lens glass and the back from getting scratched. As far as the fit and looks, I think it's perfect. But it is definitely lacking in the protection department.

Here it is, except I bought it in black:
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/21i6e8fslcL._SS400_.jpg

I would have preferred this case, but reviews said the buttons are hard to press. If the buttons had cutouts, I think it would have been perfect.
https://www.incipio.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/561x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/S/A/SA-292c.jpg

I know I could cut the buttons out myself, but I didn't really want to do that. It definitely offers quite a bit more protection, including the "lip" that goes over the edge of the front.

If I were you, I would start from Amazon, and see what you can find. Ebay is also a good option. Be careful with some of the amazon cases though, especially the light colored, matte or two-textured Cimo ones. They material they are made of attracts grease and dirt from your fingers, and the case begins to look nasty in a couple of weeks. This has not happened with my blue Galaxy S2 Incipio case in the past.

Z71bill
10-24-2012, 13:33
:dunno:

Messing around with the Galaxy S3 today - and to test sending a picture (to make sure it worked) - sent myself a text message.

I got the text about 10 seconds later --

Then about 5 minutes later I get an E-mail from my Gmail account - that was the exact same message.

WTF??

Anyone understand why this happened?

Because I sure don't. :rofl:

Z71bill
10-26-2012, 07:49
Case for the Galaxy S3 -

I went with the Otter Box commuter - got all 3 cases from Amazon Wednesday.

They are very nice - good protection - but don't add much bulk.

They are a PITA to install - very tight fit - but worth the trouble to have an exact fit.

Two of the three cases were perfect - the one case looked perfect - but when I went to charge the phone the battery port was partially blocked - the micro USB plug would not engage.

I fixed it with a pocket knife and sand paper.

It was the case for my wife's phone - she was not really happy that I buggered up the battery port - IMHO it was no big disaster - but if you looked close it was not pretty.

I went to the Otter Box web site - filled out a form - and sent it to them.

I told them the battery port was blocked - also told them that I had sanded the port - and that I could now charge the battery.

I assumed that since I had "modified" the product they would tell me SORRY nothing we can do.

They responded - this morning - a replacement was in the mail.

So Otter Box has great products and even better customer service.

sheriff733
10-26-2012, 08:26
Case for the Galaxy S3 -

I went with the Otter Box commuter - got all 3 cases from Amazon Wednesday.

They are very nice - good protection - but don't add much bulk.

They are a PITA to install - very tight fit - but worth the trouble to have an exact fit.

Two of the three cases were perfect - the one case looked perfect - but when I went to charge the phone the battery port was partially blocked - the micro USB plug would not engage.

I fixed it with a pocket knife and sand paper.

It was the case for my wife's phone - she was not really happy that I buggered up the battery port - IMHO it was no big disaster - but if you looked close it was not pretty.

I went to the Otter Box web site - filled out a form - and sent it to them.

I told them the battery port was blocked - also told them that I had sanded the port - and that I could now charge the battery.

I assumed that since I had "modified" the product they would tell me SORRY nothing we can do.

They responded - this morning - a replacement was in the mail.

So Otter Box has great products and even better customer service.

They do.

Otterbox customer service is top notch.

Sveke
10-26-2012, 08:43
I love my galaxy nexus. I root it and customize the heck out of it.

The GS3 is awesome but pure nexus phones are the way to go on my opinion for what I like to do with my phone.

But I am prob way more into messing with my phone then the average Joe.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

mhill
10-26-2012, 09:09
Agreed on Otterbox. The first phone case broke on me from misuse by me. They replaced it after a simple call. No go find your reciept or nothing. Just gave them an address and got a replacement.

Happy customer that will be sticking with Otterbox.

cowboy1964
10-26-2012, 13:10

Ok? Aren't there hundreds of choices?

Myself, I use the phone part of my iPhone about 5%... the rest is email, browsing, and mapping.