Was recently given some food storage, question... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Was recently given some food storage, question...

RMTactical
06-18-2012, 16:48
So, my parents recently divorced and my dad gave me a bunch of his food storage (they don't have any kids at home anymore).

I have several containers of salt, some opened, some unopened. I am assuming this is good indefinitely.

I also have several large buckets filled with white granulated sugar. Some of it was stored in the garage of his Las Vegas home. Looks perfectly fine.

Also have some buckets of hard white wheat.

Dated 1998 for all of this stuff.

I am assuming it is all good. What do you think? Only thing that really worries me is that some of it was stored in the garage and the heat in Vegas can be rather extreme, although dry.

Thoughts?

I'm thinking I will keep it all, regardless. If nothing else, I could use the old wheat as barter... it will still fill a belly even if it has degraded nutrients.

UneasyRider
06-18-2012, 17:49
So, my parents recently divorced and my dad gave me a bunch of his food storage (they don't have any kids at home anymore).

I have several containers of salt, some opened, some unopened. I am assuming this is good indefinitely.

I also have several large buckets filled with white granulated sugar. Some of it was stored in the garage of his Las Vegas home. Looks perfectly fine.

Also have some buckets of hard white wheat.

Dated 1998 for all of this stuff.

I am assuming it is all good. What do you think? Only thing that really worries me is that some of it was stored in the garage and the heat in Vegas can be rather extreme, although dry.

Thoughts?

I'm thinking I will keep it all, regardless. If nothing else, I could use the old wheat as barter... it will still fill a belly even if it has degraded nutrients.

I wouldn't blink at the salt since they mine the stuff. The wheat will be ok if it isn't infested or soft but I think that it will lose a lot of nutritional value from the excessive heat that it was stored in. I would never trust the sugar.

RMTactical
06-18-2012, 19:22
I wouldn't blink at the salt since they mine the stuff. The wheat will be ok if it isn't infested or soft but I think that it will lose a lot of nutritional value from the excessive heat that it was stored in. I would never trust the sugar.

Is there any good way to know if the sugar is bad, short of eating it and finding out the hard way?

bdcochran
06-18-2012, 20:00
While sugar doesn't really expire, per se, if kept too long or in a non-airtight container where humidity can get in, it WILL become a solid, unreasonable block. Sugar is an incredible preservative, working in jams, jellies, and twinkies (which apparently also never expire, lol)

If your sugar does form into a block, a good way to get around this is by dissolving it in a small amount of liquid, and air drying in a thin layer on a baking sheet at room temperature (drying in the oven can cause carmellization, which affects taste and color.) You can also try nuking it for a very short time in the microwave, but I don't prefer or recommend this method as it may unintentionally scorch the sugar.

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Does_sugar_expire#ixzz1yCURlLb0

RMTactical
06-18-2012, 22:27
Thank you sir. The sugar looks perfectly fine and is not clumped together at all.

jarubla
06-26-2012, 15:10
OP:

The wheat should be just fine as well. If in doubt, grind a few cups and bake some bread or pancakes or something. It'll be obvious if it is bad :)

You can grind the wheat in a blender (think Blendtek), but an electric or manual wheat grinder is more ideal.

Try some and report back?

OBTW, I have eaten wheat which was 40 years old, it tasted just fine :)

-Jay

RMTactical
06-26-2012, 15:24
My wife makes wheat bread at home from time to time but she doesn't like to use anything this old... Maybe I will slip it on there next time she needs me to grind some.

I have an electric grinder and a hand grinder. Never used the hand grinder. Just have it as an emergency item.

SFCSMITH(RET)
06-26-2012, 17:39
My wife makes wheat bread at home from time to time but she doesn't like to use anything this old... Maybe I will slip it on there next time she needs me to grind some.

I have an electric grinder and a hand grinder. Never used the hand grinder. Just have it as an emergency item.

LOL, my mom is still grinding and cooking bread from wheat that they put up in 1970/1. Stored outside in containers in the central California valley, maybe 5 degrees cooler than Vegas.

Wheat recovered from burial tombs in Egypt has sprouted fine, after centuries.

maustypsu
07-03-2012, 12:06
Yep, keep the wheat. I would try some or try to sprout some. If it has been stored in 85+ degrees for 15 years then it's shelf life is near expiration as defined by many (for every 10 degrees avg temp above room temp divide life by 2). If you don't feel comfortable eating it then you could grow or barter as mentioned above. If the power went off tomorrow and I was hungry in a month, I would eat the heck out of it!!!

The sugar and salt are both perfectly fine. Vegas is a dry area and the only real way to hurt them is moisture. Even then, they shouldn't ever make you sick. You just might have to chisel some salt onto your jerky strips to preserve them!!!

Protus
07-04-2012, 06:50
your food will be fine.dont toss it. Just use it as you can or set it aside as a back up to your exsisting storage

Akita
07-04-2012, 06:59
Sugar doesnt 'go bad' unless it gets bugs in it or is degraded by a LOT of heat. In each case it is obvious.