offside knife [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : offside knife

1canvas
06-18-2012, 17:55
I often carry a second gun that my offside hand can reach in case there is a grab on my primary and wrestling over the gun starts. but looking to lighten the load is there any downside to carrying a fixed blade knife instead.
the one I bought is the Ka-Bar TDI with a 2'' long fat blade.
I believe the short blade would be a plus in some jurisdictions regarding knife laws.
thank you.

Mas Ayoob
06-19-2012, 09:36
One downside is that some disarming attempts can leave you with the opponent out of reach. This could occur if the bad guy has you down on your non-gun side and is reaching down from standing to pull the gun from your strong-side holster. Could also occur as in the Richmond case a few months ago where perp snatched gun from open carrier's holster and quickly moved away from him. The gun's owner was subsequently killed when he went after the attacker.

Giving up the backup gun also takes away the many other advantages to having a second firearm. The knife you menton is an excellent choice: might just wanna keep the backup gun anyway, AND add the knife to your belt on the non-dominant hand side. Best of both worlds and all of that.

Cordially,
Mas

1canvas
06-19-2012, 15:57
good advise, thank you.