Standard pressure vs. +P [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Standard pressure vs. +P

Metal Angel
06-18-2012, 23:49
Mas, thank you for your participation in this forum. Your shared knowledge and experience is greatly appreciated!

My question is not so much "which is better?" as I think we all can agree a quality load in +P will be at least slightly more effective. My question is, do you think there is a significant disadvantage to practicing with standard pressure and then carrying +P? I do practice a little with +P, but the main reason I went with 9mm in the first place is because it is more cost effective to practice with. Shooting +P loads at the range defeats that advantage very quickly.

Do you think there is any advantage to carrying standard pressure loads, just to have the same recoil characteristics as practice ammo? I currently carry Gold Dots in 124 +P. the recoil difference is not massive, but it is noticeable.

Mas Ayoob
06-19-2012, 09:28
Practice with lighter loads will keep you familiar with the snub .38 and make you a better shooter with it, but you still want to be acclimating yourself to street load recoil as much as possible. If you're not a reloader, Speer Lawman 158 grain +P full metal jacket is functionally identical to the popular FBI load (Chicago load, Metro load) that many prefer for carry, and is fairly reasonable in price.

best,
Mas