Using your preps [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Using your preps

RWBlue
06-19-2012, 10:52
Tell me about how your preps helped you out.

I expect this to be an ongoing thread. I expect it to be a thread filled with lots of little items. Like the guy who raides his stash of to when he is too sick to go out, to the person who uses her bob to go camping. I expect to hear stories about boil water notices. I expect to hear stories about raiding the cash supply to pay the pizza delivery guy.

Basically if your preps save you pain and suffering I want to hear about it.

RWBlue
06-19-2012, 10:55
I had a minor issue last night. I wear dressed up cloths at work. I took my cross trainers to work. I wore the dress shoes home from work. So I didn't have cross trainers to wear at home. I raided my stash and pulled out a new pair of cross trainers to wear.

Sometimes it is the little things.

Bilbo Bagins
06-19-2012, 12:12
Tell me about how your preps helped you out.

I expect this to be an ongoing thread. I expect it to be a thread filled with lots of little items. Like the guy who raides his stash of to when he is too sick to go out, to the person who uses her bob to go camping. I expect to hear stories about boil water notices. I expect to hear stories about raiding the cash supply to pay the pizza delivery guy.

Basically if your preps save you pain and suffering I want to hear about it.

That is me. If I am going to bug out, I'm going to take my ultralight, expensive hiking and camping gear. To build another BOB with exactly what I like would cost me hundreds of dollars.

I like taking out my S&P stuff, its a good test.

What I'm planning to do is have a few "Hand me down" BOBs with the stuff I got rid of, from my current BOB and upgraded/replaced with something better.

Right now I have storage bins filled with stuff. In one box I got a cheapo pruning saw, a gerber camp saw, then a Fiskar, and a Sawvivor. I spent over $100 just to figure out that the Bacho Laplander is the best saw for camping and S&P. I have boxes of old knives, sleeping pads, stoves, ponchos, etc.

shotgunred
06-19-2012, 15:44
My oven died a month ago. We are seeing how many different things we can cook in the BBQ. So far so good.

Big Bird
06-19-2012, 15:49
My Generator(s) have all seen use--sometimes for 7-10 days at a stretch after wind/ice storms knocked out power in my neighborhood. My chainsaw has been put to the test multiple times. My wood burning stoves are in almost constant use in the winter and saved my one particular weekend when we were in the low teens and my furnace crapped out.

In terms of food--I eat what I store. So its in constant rotation.

Same for ammo. I shoot what I store so its in rotation as well. (although much slower)

Bolster
06-19-2012, 17:58
My "most used" prep is probably the solar oven. It gets the jobs you don't want to warm the house for...from cooking potatoes to drying desiccant to helping the little one make potpourri...

quake
06-19-2012, 18:17
Most-used for us are generally due to power outages, which happens several times a year here. Sometimes just a few minutes, but sometimes a couple days. Ventless propane heater on home-made roll-around stand, plumbed to run off normal 20-lb tanks, LED lanterns, etc. I guess the truly 'most-used' would be the automatic emergency lights, since they come on everytime the power goes out.

Pretty often I'll get something from the truck box that's carried both as preps and as work-related. Small batteries, headlamp, etc.

M1A Shooter
06-19-2012, 18:22
my EDC bag helps out alot daily. otc meds at work, flashlights etc.

my biggest use was the 6 months i was out of work. our stored foods helped cut out food bill to almost nothing for most of that 6 months. just about to get the stores back up now.

UneasyRider
06-19-2012, 18:56
I didn't see the daily value in it when Ferfal first said that he carried it, but I use the USB on my keychain all the time to get at every kind of data that you can imagine.

I use the mini flashlight on the keychain a lot too.

RWBlue
06-19-2012, 19:20
My oven died a month ago. We are seeing how many different things we can cook in the BBQ. So far so good.

This is the kind of stuff I was talking about. You had a minor SHTF that would have stopped most people who do not prep and it didn't phase you at all. And it allows you to wait until the next sale comes along to buy the next stove.

RWBlue
06-19-2012, 19:23
BTW, I am trying to remember who it was that raided their preps and saved Thanksgiving. They had powdered eggs or powdered milk or ..... when they ran out and the stores were closed.

TangoFoxtrot
06-19-2012, 19:33
Flood of September 2011. While people went into panic mode and the supermarkets went empty in a day and a half, the wife and I were sitting back eating well and living large. Had alternate sources of cooking ( in case of power outages), keeping food cool, plenty of water, plenty of food, and lets not forget ice cold beer. People I told prior to stock up laughed and said the river won't go that high and the stores will be fine. Well they were semi-right about the river but not about the stores. I had the last laugh.:rofl:

Woofie
06-19-2012, 20:39
Used some of my water storage once when the facet was providing some sort of brown mess.

Lugi
06-20-2012, 20:07
This was the biggest thing I used my stuff for....when I took a hatchet to my knee. Another time my son was doing pullups in a tree and got bark in his eye...and used my eye wash that I had in my FAK for the house.

Maine1
06-21-2012, 10:10
My EDC "preps" are the most used. This new "prepping" thing, or art least the marketing of it kind of annoys me..

Flashlight is used several times a day, as are my knives, the spare set of keys in my pocket are handy, and the spares for my wifes vehicle in my wallet have saved us a lot of grief.
I don't look at it as prepping, just daily life. Some people have little emergencies all the time, and they snowball into major crap, where a simple skill or carried tool could have helped them avoid the whole thing.

RWBlue
06-21-2012, 11:10
Re-purposed my camel pack like thing for my bicycling workout. It had been sitting in the SHTF supplies for a while. Now it will get used.

Warp
06-21-2012, 11:18
BTW, I am trying to remember who it was that raided their preps and saved Thanksgiving. They had powdered eggs or powdered milk or ..... when they ran out and the stores were closed.

Should've gone to Kroger. Open 24/7/364, at least in my area. :)

I need to put a USB on my keychain again. One with encryption. They are only like $15