Colt New Agent [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Colt New Agent

Shark1007
06-19-2012, 15:56
You guys were right, please see the thread "colt new agent crimson trace" and the "trench sights" thread. I talked myself into the pistol.

I couldn't find one anywhere, my lgs had them back ordered for 1.5 years. Thet were selling the model without the factory Crimson Trace grips and adding their own lasers, only difference being the Colt logo missing.

I spoke to my lgs owner and he told me if I found one anywhere at a price 1300 or lower, to buy it immediately (got to admire that integrity) because he couldn't get one for a long while.

I'm ret'd Army and ex LEO and sometimes gun stores give my ilk a break, so I made the purchase today for 1200, I'm happy.

Initial impressions.....

I field stripped the weapon and completely degreased with rubbing alcohol. Looking under a bright workshop light, I found the detail at least equal to the Dan Wesson Valor. Very few machine marks and reasonably tight fit on everything. Field strip a little harder, no recoil spring plug, barrel bushing, so line her up and remove slide stop, then the slide.

I'm big on froglube these days, so I heated the metal with a hair dryer, lubed her a lot, hit it with froglube again and she is cooling as we speak. My hands don't stink right now. I have found the froglube makes second and third cleanings embarassingly easy, stuff just wipes away.

I have found the little rascal fits in a standard 1911 holster, no issue and it sure seems like the perfect carry weapon. Several hundred rounds will tell and I will report back. Tha laser switches on and off on the grip, I like that too.

You know, we gun nuts always seek perfection, the carry weapon with the perfect round, lubed with the perfect lubricant and carried in the perfect holster. As a result, I have, as most of us, a giant "holster that didn't quite work" drawer and a "lube that was nice, but not perfect" drawer.

My experience so far tells me the New Agent in an OWB leather holster with a big forward cant(dm bullard from texas), lubed with froglube and loaded with 185 grain DPX or 230 HST's might be the real deal.

One hopes to never, ever have to defend ourself or family with a pistol, but if things appear life threatening, I'm pleased with this choice.

I'll give a range report shortly.

deadite
06-19-2012, 16:49
Looking forward to a range report! Congrats on your purchase. :)

Ooh yeah, need pix.

deadite

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

fnfalman
06-19-2012, 16:52
Sweet!!!

Shark1007
06-19-2012, 19:56
Another observation I made tonight. I just got my Springfield Micro .45 back from repair for some feeding issues. It's another 3" bbl .45 with almost exactly the same footprint.

Yikes!, when I pick up the Springfield it feel like an anvil compared to the New Agent. I like the sturdy feel... but the weight is sure a big difference. I'll shoot them side by side and see how the comparison goes.

bac1023
06-19-2012, 20:32
Congrats! :cool:

:needspics:

10-32
06-19-2012, 21:16
Congrats on the new gun.
Kinda makes me want to look for some laser grips for my New Agent now. I've been carrying my Sig P238 but I think I might revisit the Colt

Shark1007
06-19-2012, 22:16
250ish I was seeing. I was going to set a set for the Springfield anvil.

Veedubklown
06-19-2012, 22:47
Congrats! :cool:

:needspics:

I'm usually one to agree. This is no different.

MoFormula
06-20-2012, 05:53
Congrats on the new gun.
Kinda makes me want to look for some laser grips for my New Agent now. I've been carrying my Sig P238 but I think I might revisit the Colt

I finally did buy some for mine. It makes a beautiful package.

ca survivor
06-20-2012, 07:17
congrats, but :needspics:

Fireman1291
06-20-2012, 07:25
I loved that gun the second I held it. I still havent bought one....soon enough!

Shark1007
06-23-2012, 07:43
Range report:

300 rounds or so break in.

It recoils a bit more than a standard 1911 and I have a tiny blister in the web between thumb and index finger.

One stovepipe with ball, I believe it was magazine related.

Two nose up fail to feed issues with Ranger T, magazine related. Otherwise, fed Ranger T nicely.

Gold Dot, no issues, as I expected.

Corbon DPX fed well, no issues. This may be the carry round, great performer and a little lighter than 230 grain.

The laser dimmed and brightened, but otherwise was dead on and accurate. 4" head shots at a reasonably rapid rate of fire were easy at 10 yards with laser only, never looking at sights. (you couldn't see them anyway, they're trench sights)

The trench sights were easy to learn, at these ranges, sights aren't really relied upon anyway.

I used probably 20+ different magazines of several manufacturers and, other than the two I will deadline, everything worked well.

Overall, very impressed. I will address the laser issue with Crimson Trace, I'm thinking batteries. Points well, carries great, it may be the answer.

RYT 2BER
06-23-2012, 07:55
I couldn't find one anywhere, my lgs had them back ordered for 1.5 years. Thet were selling the model without the factory Crimson Trace grips and adding their own lasers, only difference being the Colt logo missing.

I spoke to my lgs owner and he told me if I found one anywhere at a price 1300 or lower, to buy it immediately (got to admire that integrity) because he couldn't get one for a long while.

I swear I just don't understand posts like these.... You couldn't find one anywhere? A quick search on gunbroker showed about 85 guns at the moment, many in 45 and many with ct grips....oh and all of the ones I saw were well below $1300.

Here is some free advice...find a new lgs..:faint:

HexHead
06-23-2012, 08:01
While I had no issues with the factory mags at the range with mine, I always carried it with black Wilson 47D 7-rounders with low profile base pads.

Shark1007
06-23-2012, 08:24
Well I guess you're really really smart then. I checked 6 local gun stores, nothing in stock, had one located at Davidsons, but it sold before my friend could place the order and RSR, the distributor locally was out of stock as was my LEO dealer. I saw the two or three on Gunbroker as I just did two minutes ago. The actual cost on the gun to the dealer is 1012.00 plus shipping. I use Gunbroker occasionally, but like to deal locally, to support the local shops when possible.

I hope you didn't mind the range report.

RYT 2BER
06-23-2012, 13:16
Well I guess you're really really smart then. I checked 6 local gun stores, nothing in stock, had one located at Davidsons, but it sold before my friend could place the order and RSR, the distributor locally was out of stock as was my LEO dealer. I saw the two or three on Gunbroker as I just did two minutes ago. The actual cost on the gun to the dealer is 1012.00 plus shipping. I use Gunbroker occasionally, but like to deal locally, to support the local shops when possible.

I hope you didn't mind the range report.

You saw 2 or 3?? Hmmm here's about 100 of them

http://www.gunbroker.com/Semi-Auto-Pistols/BI.aspx?Keywords=AgeNt

But no, I didn't mind the range report

GLOCK17DB9
06-23-2012, 13:19
Congrats and can't wait to see the pictures!:supergrin:

fnfalman
06-23-2012, 13:25
You saw 2 or 3?? Hmmm here's about 100 of them

http://www.gunbroker.com/Semi-Auto-Pistols/BI.aspx?Keywords=AgeNt

But no, I didn't mind the range report

Guess what? Some of us don't like to buy guns off Gunbrokers.

rich52us
06-23-2012, 14:14

http://grabagun.com/colt-new-agent-defender-45acp-3-blk.html

Maybe this will help. But there's only one left.

RYT 2BER
06-23-2012, 15:20

No problem.

That's has nothing to do with "my" original post but that's no problem

Shark1007
06-23-2012, 15:27
That's a great price on GrabaGun. The CT model is the one that's seemingly hard to find in .45. I saw my new friend's post and noted most were 9mm or standard, non CT models, but I'll just let him have the last word.

If anyone is looking at these, there are several models, with the one having Crimson Trace laser grips with the Colt logo from the factory being my preference. I did that because I wasn't sure of the trench sight.

My opinion, after taking the plunge, is that my instinct was right, the Crimson Trace is a good move. The ability to use the weapon without even looking at the sights is nice. It's certainly not a target pistol, however. It's carry reliable I believe, and pretty slick otherwise. I have a few Glocks, but there is something about a 1911. Maybe it's the Army days, but I always come back to a 1911 it seems.

This is a Glock forum and it's great to be able to express an opinion on another manufacturer's gun without being snipped at generally.

Maybe I'm getting tired of cleaning guns, but this little rascal was DIRTY. I use Froglube these days and believe it makes cleaning a little easier, but I thought I'd never see a clean patch on this one.

All in all, great little gun.

fnfalman
06-23-2012, 19:23
Maybe I'm getting tired of cleaning guns, but this little rascal was DIRTY. I use Froglube these days and believe it makes cleaning a little easier, but I thought I'd never see a clean patch on this one.

All in all, great little gun.

My various pistols and revolvers have had at least three hundred rounds through them without cleaning. I ain't sweatin' it.

pck50
06-24-2012, 16:14
That is a very nice and most impressive weapon to say the very least, Good Luck with it, use it in Good health and like you said hope we all never ever have to come to that extent in our life.

Shark1007
06-25-2012, 20:21
I shipped her back to Colt today to the custom shop. They are going to do the trigger, add a bigger beavertail and a larger thumb safety............ then it will be perfect.

6omega7
06-26-2012, 14:30
My wife has cc one for 8 months now. Downright scary how the 65 year young lady can shoot that pistol.