High end 1911's... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : High end 1911's...

shooter1234
06-19-2012, 21:35
Ok. I know I'm going to get flamed for this, but I gotta get it off of my mind.

2000-4000 dollar 1911 owners. Why.
Please tell me, what you expected to do, with a 14 pound pistol that only holds 7 (yea ok, the new magazines hold one more. thats nice. I dont care.)
rounds, and is twice as big as any modern day polymer auto pistol. Did you think you were going to actually carry this concealed? Where. Oh wait, let me guess, under your IDPA converted tactical fishing vest, in an inside the waistband kydex holster. Right. Right in the middle of August, when it's 92 degrees. Sure. THAT won't be obvious or anything. How's all those sharp edges digging into your side? And for how long were you planning on carrying it? A whole week? How did that work out for you? Lol. Pretty inconvenient after a few days isn't it. Yea, I know, you're strong, and the extra 12 pounds over any other auto pistol on the planet doesn't bother you. Sorry. I carried an M60 machine gun in the Army, and I know about extra weight. Was a radio man after that. That doesn't mean that I'm going to carry an extra ten pounds if I don't really have to. The running phrase in the Infantry was "There's a fine line between hardcore and stupid." You guys must have never been in the Infantry.

Ok, so you can bench 450, and do your 20 kilometer roadmarch in under 2:30 hours. What does your 3000 dollar hand fitted 1911 do that any Sig, S&W, Beretta, Glock, or Springer doesn't? So your groups were 2" at 50 yards off-hand, and your Glock was holding you back? So what did your Caspian, STI or Baer shrink your groups to at the 50 yard line? 1"? Sure... If you were that good, you wouldn't have bought your 1911; it would have been given to you by your sponsor. Ok. So you're rich, AND strong. You chose a caliber that doesn't give you ANY advantage whatsoever in imparted energy, penetration, or external ballistics (trajectory), and only has a hand full of ft./lbs. of energy advantage over .40 in the +p category, but now boxes of your ammunition are about 6 dollars more than other calibers. Nice choice again.
At 2000 dollars, I could have bought 3-4 other typical handguns. I could have bought a KelTec .380 at 220 for deep summer carry, a Glock 26 or S&W M&P compact for around 425 for winter carry, and a used Glock 17 for around 400 for IDPA/home defense/SHTF combat gun, all for around HALF of ONE of your custom 13 pound 1911's.

Alright, so you don't carry it. It's for local shoots and home defense. Nice. 2500 dollars for a safe gun. So a Springfield or used Kimber wouldn't have done it? So everyone around you is outshooting you because your Kimber is holding you back? Not buyin' it...

Don't get me wrong. I love 1911's. I think they're great guns. Truly classic. I've owned one, and 2 Hi Powers. And will eventually own another one of each. But for now, they're just not practical enough to warrant taking up room in the safe. I just can't understand all the guys that try to defend their 3000 dollar pistol purchases, when they're not even serious competitors, or sponsored shooters. It doesn't matter if you have the money in the bank to be able to do it. The amount of money one has, has nothing to do with logical choices. Unless you're a super super serious competitor, and haven't gotten picked up yet by a major company, you could have five million in the bank, and a 3000 dollar 12 pound boat anchor would still be a dumb ass purchase.

(I want to be clear on the expensive 1911's. I mean full size guns over 2000 dollars. There's nothing wrong with a compact or sub-compact 1911 with reasonable prices like a 650 dollar Kimber for example. A lot of them have their edges melted, are relatively light weight, and can be used for a lot of different purposes.)

Wil Ufgood
06-19-2012, 21:47
http://alisina.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/muslimpeace.jpg

Bodyarmorguy
06-19-2012, 23:16

No flames. Just simply stating that you are wrong.

2000-4000 dollar 1911 owners. Why.

Because I have the means to do so. Sorry about your luck.

Please tell me, what you expected to do, with a 14 pound pistol that only holds 7 (yea ok, the new magazines hold one more. thats nice. I dont care.)
rounds, and is twice as big as any modern day polymer auto pistol.

Check you scales...weighs no where near that. It is slimmer than my issued Glock.

Did you think you were going to actually carry this concealed? Where. Oh wait, let me guess, under your IDPA converted tactical fishing vest, in an inside the waistband kydex holster. Right. Right in the middle of August, when it's 92 degrees. Sure. THAT won't be obvious or anything.

I reside in east central FL where it is often closer to 100 than 90 during the July and August months. My usual off-duty attire during the summer months is cargo shorts, and an untucked (not oversized) polo shirt. I very comfortably and adequately conceal a 5 inch Government Model in an leather inside the waistband holster from 5 Shot Leather, backed up on the support side by at least 1 additionalmagazine and a C2 Taser.

Oh...BTW...found this quote by you in a thread you started: "Where do I find the Glock wind breakers at? I can't find them ANYwhere

How's all those sharp edges digging into your side? And for how long were you planning on carrying it? A whole week? How did that work out for you? Lol. Pretty inconvenient after a few days isn't it.

When I spend $2k or more on a custom gun, I expect it to be devoid of sharp edges. Perhaps you allowed some rookie gunsmith to take advantage of you on a dehorning job? I have carried the rig described above during my off-duty hour for years.

Yea, I know, you're strong, and the extra 12 pounds over any other auto pistol on the planet doesn't bother you. That doesn't mean that I'm going to carry an extra ten pounds if I don't really have to.

Is it 14, 10 or 12 pounds? Damn fad diets....the weight really fluctuates.

You chose a caliber that doesn't give you ANY advantage whatsoever in imparted energy, penetration, or external ballistics (trajectory), and only has a hand full of ft./lbs. of energy advantage over .40 in the +p category, but now boxes of your ammunition are about 6 dollars more than other calibers. Nice choice again.

I like big bullets, so I carry them. The extra expense of .45 over 9mm or .40 doesn't bother me. AT work, because I have to, I carry a .40 pistol. Off-duty, I may ocassional switch from a 1911 to a Browning Hi-Power stoked with a proven 9mm round. By your logic the whole world shoould be carrying just one caliber.

At 2000 dollars, I could have bought 3-4 other typical handguns.

And others would describe you as typical......me, not so much.

Alright, so you don't carry it.

But I think that we already established that I do carry it.

So everyone around you is outshooting you because your Kimber is holding you back? Not buyin' it...

If I am out-shot, I blame the indian, not the arrow.

Don't get me wrong. I love 1911's.

Based on your rant, that is like Hitler saying "Don't get me wrong, I love the Jews."

The amount of money one has, has nothing to do with logical choices.

True, you could afford a computer and yet you post your opinion which is still worth exactly what we have paid for it.

Unless you're a super super serious competitor, and haven't gotten picked up yet by a major company, you could have five million in the bank, and a 3000 dollar 12 pound boat anchor would still be a dumb ass purchase.

So nobody should own a Corvette, or a Ferarri, unless they are a competitive racer picked up by a major sponsor....buying one is a dumb ass purchase?

I gotta get it off of my mind.

Feel better?

countrygun
06-20-2012, 00:49
I have een a 1911 since 1977. My wife has become a fan to the point she bought her own kimber Ultra Raptor and recently brough home a Springfield Tropy Match.. The $2,000+ 1911's aren't for me, but then again I have built 1911's and would prefer to DIY a high end one myself. as a matter of fact I carried my Kimber Compact mot of the day. I could just as soon carried a full sized 1911 because our climate makes a "cover garment" normal whether you are carrying or not. I care not about the fact that it isn't High cap. If 7 .45s don't do it I have a spare mag or two which I will swap out as I am evacuating the area with all alacrity. (running like a japed ape is the technical term).

Having said that the REALLY expensive 1911's aren't for me I rhink they are absolutely terrific for those who want one. This is America and a top end 1911 is a great way to celebrate living in a great Country. I am seriously considering a high-end production 1911 .45 or 10mm in stainless to get really carried away with and having it engraved. Now there is really spending bucks on something totally unneccessary. But I can and I want one and that is all the justification it needs, just like a $2,000+ 1911.

clancy
06-20-2012, 05:09
The reason I would spend that kind of money of a 1911 is the same reason I would spend it on a Boticelli, a bottle of 25 year old single malt Scotch or a 1956 Duoglide(yes, I am a man of diverse tastes). They are, in their own way, works of art.

I can dream, can't I?

uptomyneck
06-20-2012, 07:49
All that time writing that lame post. You fail at rants.

LawScholar
06-20-2012, 07:56
OP, this argument could be made about nearly any consumer good. Some people enjoy a more refined class of product, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. Do I love my Honda Accord which has gone 9 years without a wobble? Yes! But few would argue it's a better car than a Mercedes-Benz.

shooter1234
06-21-2012, 09:26
Law scholar, this is true. And I have the same opinion about those products too. Like the Ferrari. They can cost 80 thousand dollars more than a nice Buick for example. Is that worth it? Absolutely not. There's comes a point where it's not a quality issue any longer. If you were to compare a Chevy Cavalier to a Mercedes than sure. There's a huge disparity between the two, in every single category. But is a Ferrari 80 grand better than a new Buick? Not at all. You're just shelling out money for the brand, and the fad factor, and NOTHING more.
Past say, a S&W M&P, a 2000 dollar 1911 is about 1575 extra dollars spent, to get a gun that doesn't do anything better than the Smith. It was spent for fad factor only. It's heavier and holds less rounds. If it's for the all steel single action preference only, then what was wrong with a 600 dollar Springfield then? What does a 2000 dollar 1911 do, for the local shoots or personal defense, that a 600 dollar Springfield cant?
Remember, I didn't post this thread because I can't figure out why people think 1911's are cool. There's nothing wrong with a 1911. It was the 2000 dollar plus models, that people use for everyday use. That's what I can't figure out.
All the weight, bulk, sharp edges, lack of magazine capacity, and levers and switches sticking out all over the place is tolerable to some people, for 400-700 dollars. I understand that. But for me, spending 2000 dollars, and still having to put up with all that **** just isn't worth it any longer. I could get spend 398 dollars and get a Glock 26, and not have to contend with ANY of that crap. I get a gun that does all the same things, a still be 1600 dollars ahead as well...

seanmac45
06-21-2012, 09:34
Aren't you lucky then, that there are cheap guns for people with lower standards such as yourself.

LiebeGlock
06-21-2012, 20:25
Aren't you lucky then, that there are cheap guns for people with lower standards such as yourself.

Cheap guns or expensive guns they do the same thing. They go BANG... shoot someone and if you know what you're doing they're dead and your safe.

Wil Ufgood
06-21-2012, 21:08
Cheap guns or expensive guns they do the same thing. They go BANG... shoot someone and if you know what you're doing they're dead and your safe.

Expensive guns are cool!:rofl:

Wil Ufgood
06-21-2012, 21:11

Yeah but I want to be safe in style! How embarrassing would a good shoot look with a Hi Point. What if the first responders on the scene are either hot female EMTs or officers? No play for mister low pay! :rofl:

attrapereves
06-22-2012, 06:56
I view 1911s as more of a work of art than anything. I don't have the money to spend $2000 on a handgun, but if I did, I'd have no problems buying one.

I don't carry a 1911, because they are heavy and the grip safety is a negative for a defensive pistol, but I love the trigger and everything about the gun. IMHO, a Glock is the perfect carry weapon, but I do get bored with them.

I'm sure Hi-Point fans wonder why we spend so much on Glocks when a Hi-Point throws bullets down range too.

Bodyarmorguy
06-22-2012, 20:07

And a cheap education and an expensive education are all the same. I mean just because that degree says University of Grenada Medical School....I mean still a qualified surgeon....right?

fiveoboy01
06-23-2012, 03:34
OP is clearly a broke-ass mofo. Jealousy must be a biznitch.

Rancho_Nirvana
06-28-2012, 19:08
Why?

Cause there are few things in life as fine as running a well made 1911!

NH Trucker
06-28-2012, 21:32
Um, I'm a broke ass mofo and I don't see an issue with people buying whatever they want. As long as they're paying for it, what's the problem?

Kingarthurhk
07-01-2012, 11:01
If people want to drop that kind of money on a 1911, more power to them if they can afford it. 1911's are neat, but I can't justify spending that kind of money on a singular pistol, especially one with such a limited magazine capacity. A lot of these 1911's seems to be botique and it is more about paying for the name than the potential quality.

For that kind of money, I would expect a custom built from the ground up pistol to my specifications. But, that wouldn't happen unless I won the lottery, and probably not even then.

I like my Glock 21C. It goes bang every single time, and has a 13 round magazine capacity, that can be expanded upon as needed. Moreover, I can get a lot of Glock21C's for one botique 1911. So, I say, meh.

crazycathed
08-14-2012, 09:30
I have a few high end 1911 (5 nighthawks). i bought them because I can. I also have 2 barrett 50's, HK MR762 with a $2000 scope as well as other high end stuff that I absolutely dont need.who hunts with a british bren MKII 303? the reason I got them is because I like to share shooting with people and most wouldn't get the chance to shoot the things I have. to see the look on their face shooting a rifle with a round the size of a hotdog is priceless. and also I own them because I have the means. if you had the $ would you buy a geo metro or a volvo? both would get you around but the volvo is a much nicer ride.

prez1967
08-14-2012, 09:58
Like its been stated before... Seiko vs Rolex, Ford vs Ferrari, projects vs penthouse... Those who can (and wish to).... Will.

Its not my (or your) problem.

HexHead
08-14-2012, 10:01
I had two Kimbers before I got my Nighthawk. I honestly didn't think I'd be able to appreciate the difference the extra money spent on a Wilson, NHC, Ed Brown etc would make. When I got my Nighthawk, first mag out of the box, I shot a group half the size I did with my Kimber.

GreenDrake
08-14-2012, 11:03
Wilson CQB is on my hit list, for sure. Handled and shot a friend's, it's definitely what I am looking for in a dream gun. And yes, I'd carry it.

seanmac45
08-14-2012, 20:00
Posted by shooter1234; "All the weight, bulk, sharp edges, lack of magazine capacity, and levers and switches sticking out all over the place is tolerable to some people, for 400-700 dollars. I understand that. "

All the weight; Glock 19 (stock) w/16 rounds of 124gn - 30.8 oz.
Kimber Custom II w/8 rounds of 230gn - 44.7 oz.

All that bulk; Glock 19 WIDTH 30 mm / 1.18 in
1911 WIDTH 1.312 in

Sharp edges; NONE in a properly dehorned 1911

Levers and switches sticking out; 1911 slide release and thumb safety
Glock slide release and takedown lever

Wow! What a massive difference!

I carried a Glock 19 undercover for 10 years.

I have carried a 1911 for the last 11 since retiring.

I will take the 1911 ANY DAY OF THE WEEK OVER THE GLOCK.

It is much easier to conceal and much more comfortable to carry.

And just to tweak you it's a Wilson Combat CQB Elite.

crazycathed
08-15-2012, 12:37
the bottom line is nobody should have to justify why they buy what they do. if a hi point or stallard works for you then get it. no matter what people say about pricey firearms if you take them to the range they will want to shoot it. NOBODY is gonna stand there as you blast an old car from 400 yards away with a barrett loaded with incindeary rounds and say "nah, I don't want to shoot that". I have an SRM 1216 16 round semi auto shotgun that was over 2 grand, a 4 grand .308 (6 grand with scope) , 5 nighthawks, 2 SPAS 12 shotguns, british bren MKII made in 1943, 2 barrett 50's, barrett 338 lapua just to name a few. trijicon acog scopes on most of my rifles. people ask me why I look at them and say why not.

Kingarthurhk
08-15-2012, 17:27
Posted by shooter1234; "All the weight, bulk, sharp edges, lack of magazine capacity, and levers and switches sticking out all over the place is tolerable to some people, for 400-700 dollars. I understand that. "

All the weight; Glock 19 (stock) w/16 rounds of 124gn - 30.8 oz.
Kimber Custom II w/8 rounds of 230gn - 44.7 oz.

All that bulk; Glock 19 WIDTH 30 mm / 1.18 in
1911 WIDTH 1.312 in

Sharp edges; NONE in a properly dehorned 1911

Levers and switches sticking out; 1911 slide release and thumb safety
Glock slide release and takedown lever

Wow! What a massive difference!

I carried a Glock 19 undercover for 10 years.

I have carried a 1911 for the last 11 since retiring.

I will take the 1911 ANY DAY OF THE WEEK OVER THE GLOCK.

It is much easier to conceal and much more comfortable to carry.

And just to tweak you it's a Wilson Combat CQB Elite.

I have carred the Beretta 96D, the H&K USP .40, the Glock 19, Glock 26, the Sig 229 .40 DAK, and the Glock 17.

I am not disputing the sleek nature of the 1911 with a light trigger. However, I just can't justify 2,500 for a botique 1911.

For those of you that can, I am sure they are wondeful range/competition toys.

I think when you are madated to carry a weapon not of your choice you develop a dislike of them. I am certain that if I was forced to carry a Glock 19 for 10 years, it might irritate me too, if it weren't my choice to do so.

I fel that way about the Beretta 96D, and the Sig 299 DAK.

I really hated both of them, and still do.

I am fond of the Glock series of pistols, however. They are simple, nearly industructable, and go bang each and every time. I don't care how neat it looks, how shiny it might be, etc. If it doesn't go bang every time, I don't want it. If I can't get dirt and grit in it and still have it go bang every single time I don't want it. In my experience the only thing more reliable than a Glock is a quality revolver.

Kimbers are pretty, but they are expensive and full of consumer complaints of jams.

seanmac45
08-15-2012, 17:46
Then your experience is sorely limited.

I would not carry any weapon that is not 100% reliable. All of my carry 1911's are just that. My "boutique" Wilson Combat being one of them.

As to Glocks' reliability, well, let's say that a simple perusal of this board will disclose the fallacy of that concept.

Additionally I worked with two MOS who had Glock Model 19's lock up tight in the middle of shootings on the stree.

crazycathed
08-15-2012, 20:22
I have glocks also. all the baby glocks with the exception of the 39. also 20, 24, 34, and 2 others I cant think of. my 20 I shot at least 500 rounds out of it so far and haven't cleaned it yet and it still functions flawlessly. some pistols do require more maintenance than others. my nighthawk 9MM jammed after 200 rounds with no cleaning. but after a takedown and lube it functioned with no issues. the tolerances are tighter on more expensive pistols than the less expensive ones. I believe this is why they don't function as well if exposed to sand, mud, etc. most guns are like this. most of my guns probably wont shoot flawlessly if I put dirt or sand in it. it doesen't mean they are not good firearms.

CDR_Glock
08-15-2012, 20:44
I have been carrying my 1911 more. I have more confidence in shooting them. I only like the Middle Upper range like Wilson, Guncrafter, Ed Brown, etc.

They're worth the money for reliability, accuracy and service. However, I do appreciate my other pistols, too, such as my premium 357 Magnum revolvers like the Performance Center Smith and Wesson or Colt Pythons.

It's whatever someone wants to put into their hobby. One doesn't have to be a competitive shooter or sponsored celebrity. If one can afford it AND APPRECIATE the difference, then YES. It is worth it. Until you've owned one, you'll never know.

Kingarthurhk
08-16-2012, 02:35
Then your experience is sorely limited.

I would not carry any weapon that is not 100% reliable. All of my carry 1911's are just that. My "boutique" Wilson Combat being one of them.

As to Glocks' reliability, well, let's say that a simple perusal of this board will disclose the fallacy of that concept.

Additionally I worked with two MOS who had Glock Model 19's lock up tight in the middle of shootings on the stree.

I've never had a Glock not fire. I've owned Glocks since the early 90's.

Batesmotel
08-16-2012, 02:52
Pearls before swine.

crazycathed
08-16-2012, 08:42
nothing wrong with living large. some people who cant afford high end things will justify not having it by thinking what they have is just as good or better so why bother but we know if they had the means they'd buy one. I'm not saying this thread is such a case but it does happen.

Screaming .357G
08-16-2012, 08:55
Yea, all the companys that make 1911 clones must have it wrong ;)

63bmechanic
08-16-2012, 12:20
heres your "boutique" 1911 that will run as hard as you will.
http://www.jardinescustom.com/
is it worth it for a gun equal to a down payment on a cheaper car? not to me, would i turn it down if i could have it. probably, but then again im not a "look at me look at me" type and prefer to go unnoticed.

seanmac45
08-16-2012, 16:03
Yes, high end 1911's scream "look at me" as they ride concealed in IWB holsters for daily carry.

Absolutely.

63bmechanic
08-16-2012, 16:34
Yes, high end 1911's scream "look at me" as they ride concealed in IWB holsters for daily carry.

Absolutely.

did i say anything about concealing it? not at all, but it goes well with the entire basis of the conversation, the ferraris and whatnot, not for me. i can afford to own a top end 1911, dont feel the need for one. the cost is not justified to me. but how many dont go "look at me look at me" after buying said ridiculous priced firearm or car? about 10% and thats being generous.

crazycathed
08-17-2012, 08:47
I carry my nighthawk every once in a while, but I also try to rotate my pistols and carry different ones. if i wanted to impress people I wouldn't carry pink handguns or baby glocks. I suck at shooting, in fact I don't like doing it. but I'm sure in the hands of an experienced shooter any of my nighthawks will outshoot all the other pistols I have (SIG, HK, S&W, dan wesson, FN, desert eagle,colt, glock, webley, taurus, springfield armory, american tactical, EAA, any of them)

Walt_NC
08-17-2012, 12:51
I think this argument is silly as hand guns are all about personal preference. It's like arguing over New York vs Chicago-style pizza. When it comes to personal preference, there is no right answer.

For what it's worth, I've seen guys with $8,000 custom 1911's get absolutely shamed in IDPA/IPSC competitions by guys with bone-stock G17's. I've also seen guys brag about "Glock Perfection" with it's durability, rugged design making it the ultimate combat handgun. But these same guys never practice anything combat-related; malfunction drills, drawing and indexing, reloads, etc. Hell, most of them don't shoot more than 200 rounds a year and when they do it's from a static position at 7 yard static targets.

The gun you own doesn't make you the shooter you want to be any more than owning a hammer makes you a carpenter.

TattooedGlock
09-03-2012, 08:37
Let me just say this; I've owned them all. 3 Wilsons, 2 Ed Browns, 2 Les Baer and 2 Nighthawks over a span of 10 years. They were great and works of art. I could shoot one hole, one inch groups with them all day long. Then one day I realized it was nuts to own them and I sold them all. Now I own a few Glocks and I'm happy. Sure, I'd love to have one Wilson CQB again, just becuase it was an amazing shooter. But I can honestly say that those expensive guns had more issues of one kind or another than any of my Glocks. And of the bunch, on Wilson had really good customer serivce. The other ones simply sucked. If you are a good shooter, after shooting one you will understand why folks love them. I can shoot my Glocks pretty darn good; but they will never shoot like a high end custom 1911.

The Viking
09-05-2012, 07:25
Some people climb mountains. Do you go around asking them why?

NEOH212
09-06-2012, 02:32
I'm pretty much into HK's and Sig's myself.

With that said, there is nothing in this world quite like a high end 1911. Unless you've ever owned one much less shot one, you'll never understand.

It always makes me laugh when people that can't afford something nice take the time to bash what they can't have in order to convince themselves that it isn't better or that they don't need it.

:shakehead:

I'll always have a soft spot for high end 1911's. :cool:

NEOH212
09-06-2012, 02:33
Yea, all the companys that make 1911 clones must have it wrong ;)

:thumbsup: (sarcasm is duly noted.)

Zombie Steve
09-07-2012, 23:56
At 2000 dollars, I could have bought 3-4 other typical handguns. I could have bought a KelTec .380 at 220 for deep summer carry, a Glock 26 or S&W M&P compact for around 425 for winter carry, and a used Glock 17 for around 400 for IDPA/home defense/SHTF combat gun, all for around HALF of ONE of your custom 13 pound 1911's.

Believe it or not, we've made the same decision. I just drew the line a bit higher. If it was truly a cost or value issue, you could get a trunk full of Lorcin, Raven and Hi-Points for the price of your 3-4 Glocks, but you didn't. Why not? They shoot. You set the bar at a certain level of quality and so did I.

Are the shoes you are wearing the cheapest shoes you could find? Do you drive the cheapest car you could find?

.45 auto isn't for everyone. 1911's aren't for everyone, let alone semi and full custom 1911's. Clearly, you don't like to carry one. I don't have an issue carrying a full size... even in the summer, and I've never owned a vest. :cool:

I still have a G30, but carry the 1911 because I like it. I've shot them for 20+ years. Because I like it I shoot it a lot. Because I shoot it a lot, I'm fairly good with one. Hell, in the mountains I carry a single action revolver for the same reasons. For me, they just point naturally. I don't even use the sights inside 20 yards or so, just look over the top of the gun. Can't do that with my Glock.

To each his own.

AZL
09-29-2012, 17:55
The virtiole is strong in this thread.

I can see both sides of this issue as I have an admitted weakness for tricked-out 1911's and AR15's.

In many cases...I see the motivation being simple vanity. There is a pretty big pool if shooters out there who honestly think a $3500 1911 will make them a better shooter in place of training and practice. The "Tactical Teddy Wannabes" as I so (okay not-so) lovingly call them.

However...I own a few high-end 1911's and a really nice Browning Hi Power done by Ted Yost, when he was still "Yost-Bonitz". Why? I like them. After a couple of decades in LE making a decent living, I reached a point in my life where I was able to afford what I wanted. I enjoy shooting them. I appreciate the crisp trigger, and beautiful fitting done by a craftsman.

That being said...I CARRY a Glock 19 99.834756298475% of the time. Why? It has been absolutely flawless in function for over 20 years and 300K rounds. I have used it on duty, off duty, in IDPA and USPSA, and now I use it almost exclusively when teaching my defensive pistol classes. I trust it 100%. Other than the Model 66 Smith & Wesson .357 I also treasure...I don't trust ANY other handgun as much as I trust my Glock. It doesn't take Doctor Phil to figure out what I am going to trust my life to.

I am a firm believer that any quality make of defensive sidearm from Glock to Ruger will outshoot the shooter. I know very darned few shooters that can outshoot the capabilities of their pistol as it comes from the factory. YES...there will be exceptions...but I believe that to be the rule, rather than the exception.

A friend of mine...deputy...carries a Les Baer Monolith. he paid a LOT of money for that peice. He has a sharks skin holster and mag pouch combo for off duty carry. I tell you...it's slick as all get out. He can barely qualify with it. If the logic that some here have presented about accuracy, and wonderfulness is true...that pistol ALONE should make him the equal of Robbie Leatham or Doug Koenig.

But...really...it all boils down to buy what you want. Carry what you want. Shoot what you want. But don't be fooled into thinking an expensive gun is any MORE capable of defending you based upon price tag alone. Personally...if I were on a tighter budget...I'd buy a Glock, M&P, XD, or SR9....and spend a LOT of money on ammo, practice, and training.

Clutch Cargo
09-30-2012, 06:35
I'm pretty much into HK's and Sig's myself.

With that said, there is nothing in this world quite like a high end 1911. Unless you've ever owned one much less shot one, you'll never understand.

It always makes me laugh when people that can't afford something nice take the time to bash what they can't have in order to convince themselves that it isn't better or that they don't need it.

:shakehead:

I'll always have a soft spot for high end 1911's. :cool:

Amen. There is no substitute for quality in anything.

tnpatriot
09-30-2012, 14:42
A man can spend his own money on what ever makes him happy. What business is it of yours ?

Angry Fist
09-30-2012, 14:49
Just get one of these:

http://cdn5.thefirearmsblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/glock_1911-tfb.jpg

rick458
10-06-2012, 14:04
Why?

Cause there are few things in life as fine as running a well made 1911!

Sums it up right there
I carried my Colt Mk IV ser 80 sts, that I had put close to a hundred hours polishing and modifying to my tastes, Then bought a Kimber CS II, and proceeded to make it even nicer than the Colt.
Both carry nicely in a Milt Sparks Versa Max II, and the 2 spare mags gave me 25 rounds of 230 gr HP, in a super accurate package.
I now carry a G-17 in an MTac with a spare mag, which is lighter but a little bulkier.
will soon switch to a Gen 4 G-21

jtull7
10-06-2012, 18:21
attrapereves, I don't understand your statement: "grip safety is a negative for a defensive pistol." Would you kindly tell me what you mean? Thanks.

NEOH212
10-07-2012, 00:56
Just get one of these:

http://cdn5.thefirearmsblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/glock_1911-tfb.jpg

Please, Glock doesn't need anymore problems with malfunctions! They just got that sorted out!

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Angry Fist
10-07-2012, 08:51
Please, Glock doesn't need anymore problems with malfunctions! They just got that sorted out!

:supergrin:

samuse
11-17-2012, 20:06
Sometimes you just want something exactly the way you want it even if it's not the most practical thing in the world.

I have a high-end custom 1911 that I love, but I don't use it, don't train with it, don't compete with it, don't even have any ammo for it. I gave it to my little cousin because he likes to shoot and carry it and I play with it a couple times a year.

Hell, I have custom made $450 work boots that aren't as comfortable or as practical as my off the shelf Justins, but they're just they way I want 'em and I like 'em.

Guys just spend money on stuff like that.

porschedog
11-17-2012, 20:22
RE the guy who said there's no real difference between a Ferrari and a Buick: Yes, there is. Technology, build quality and performance. Same thing with a box stock Springfield or Colt versus a Wilson Combat or a Les Baer. Try it and you'll see why I'm talking about.

Alizard
01-04-2013, 15:10

2000-4000 dollar 1911 owners. Why. I was just on another thread about a guy who spent $20,000 for a pair of stereo speakers......

:rofl:

Alizard
01-04-2013, 15:14
I have carred the Beretta 96D, the H&K USP .40, the Glock 19, Glock 26, the Sig 229 .40 DAK, and the Glock 17.

I am not disputing the sleek nature of the 1911 with a light trigger. However, I just can't justify 2,500 for a botique 1911.We all pick our price point. I won't ever again buy an off-the-rack 1911 like colt, SA, para or the lot because a large percentage of them are junk. If you get a good one, you get a good gun at a very good price. Get a dog and it spends all it's time being worked on.

I would spend the extra $ for an STI which is a semi custon and can be had for the $1400 range. You get a quantum leap improvement in quality for about $400 more, that's my best buy price point.

I don't know why people drop $4000 for a Wilson or whatever, it's what they want to buy and they are willing to pay it.

Ruggles
01-04-2013, 15:21
How did I miss this train wreck of a thread? :)

I carried a 4" Wilson 1911 today, I carry either that or a 5" Bear, 5"Wilson or 4 1/4" Brown daily. I have a 5" .38 Super Wilson on order now that I will carry. All well over $2000. Why do I carry them? Because I shoot 1911s better than anything else and these are trust your life 1911s so why would I not carry them? I have had a CCW since 1994 and have carried all kinds of guns, 1911 carry extremely well.

I am 5'10" and 190lbs. Carrying a freaking 35-40 oz 1911 is not hard, it is just over 2 lbs for God's sake, man up! :) Get a decent holster and belt and it is as easy as carrying anything thing else.

I think Clint Smith said it best " a gun should be comforting, not comfortable " I feel just as comfy as possible with a 1911 strapped to the side :)

sawgrass
01-06-2013, 19:01
How did I miss this train wreck of a thread? :) :)

Noles26
01-09-2013, 13:35
Law scholar, this is true. And I have the same opinion about those products too. Like the Ferrari. They can cost 80 thousand dollars more than a nice Buick for example. Is that worth it? Absolutely not. There's comes a point where it's not a quality issue any longer. If you were to compare a Chevy Cavalier to a Mercedes than sure. There's a huge disparity between the two, in every single category. But is a Ferrari 80 grand better than a new Buick? Not at all. You're just shelling out money for the brand, and the fad factor, and NOTHING more.

You have clearly NEVER owned a Ferrari. As someone in the automotive industry and who's wife CURRENTLY drives a new Buick Enclave, there is an ENORMOUS difference between the two vehicles. And the cost? Try $280,000 more, not $80,000.

Enjoy you're Hi Points, MGD and McDonalds

LawScholar
03-24-2013, 11:19
There is a company that makes $5,000-10,000 sex dolls, and the company does well.

People ought not fret about how people spend their money. The rabbit hole goes pretty deep.

Gray_Rider
05-02-2013, 17:46
I had a Colt Series 80 that I had throated. It would cycle empty brass casings. Love the 1911s. My current carry is a Glock 30. Good price, scary reliable. One of the most accurate pistols in Glock's stable. Does what I need a .45 ACP to do.

No I can't afford a high end 1911, but that 30 does everything....for less.

Gray_Rider

RichardB
05-05-2013, 18:24
Everybody has a right to be screwy in their own way.

If you don't point your fingers and giggle at my 13 year old Saturn or my G36, I won't badmouth your $4000 1911. Unless your kids are naked and hungry.

It's your money, and what is luxury in one generation becomes the normal for the next. The new off the shelf 1911s of today are miles ahead in features compared to when i bought my first 1911 during the late 1960s.