Blu Ray folk. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Blu Ray folk.

okie
06-20-2012, 06:55
Do you buy Blu Ray movies exclusively or do you buy regular dvd's also? I found Mrs. Doubtfire in the Walmart 5 dollar bin and I can get it on Blu Ray for 11 bucks. I cant decide what to do, I like the movie but it isn't a movie I will watch 100+ times, so I cant decide which one to get:headscratch:

RedNine
06-20-2012, 06:58
Who wants to see Robbin Williams wearing granny panties in high def? Get the DVD.

certifiedfunds
06-20-2012, 07:01
Okie, if you haven't seen Mrs. Doubtfire in HD you haven't lived my friend.

el_jewapo
06-20-2012, 07:08
I really can't even tell much difference. Could be because I use a Playstation 3 with upscaling for both Blu Ray and DVD's.

And for a movie like Mrs. Doubtfire with no big booms or car chases, I'd take that extra 6 bucks and have a hay day at Taco Bell on the way home.

dango
06-20-2012, 07:53
There was a time when I could here a fly fart , that was called youth.
I have been evicted throughout the years while renting because of my neck break audio systems.
I go all the way back to Quadraphonic.!974 , was the first time I got evicted , I had $8000 dollars in my system then.Back when Dolby meant noise reduction in recording and they weren't built in , you had to buy seperate units and calibrate it.

At my age hearing and eye sight ,you don't get what you pay for in Blu-Ray. As technology moves on , they don't give us a choice
and one day soon DVD will take the same path as the VCRs.

I am a true audiophile who loves my music and my movies and Blu-Ray ain't quite worth the extra money to me.These old eyes ain't what they used to be , I still by DVDs , call me old fashioned.

harlenm
06-20-2012, 08:10
I really can't even tell much difference. Could be because I use a Playstation 3 with upscaling for both Blu Ray and DVD's.

And for a movie like Mrs. Doubtfire with no big booms or car chases, I'd take that extra 6 bucks and have a hay day at Taco Bell on the way home.

PS3 video quality on BluRay is excellent. If you can't tell the difference between BluRay and DVD you either need glasses or a better TV. Or you don't have 1080P on your PS3 turned on.

jason10mm
06-20-2012, 08:13
Why buy it at all? I'm sure you could just stream it. Unless Doubtfire is a beloved family classic I wouldn't bother.

As for a quality increase, I doubt the studio was particularly fired up to give it a quality blu-ray release, the difference is probably minimal. Still look way better I'm sure, but not like a top tier BR release.

Breadman03
06-20-2012, 08:35
I wouldn't bother with BluRay for Mrs. Doubtfire. That movie was made for the humor, not bright, flashy effects, and an upscaled DVD should be fine.

woodasptim
06-20-2012, 08:48
Here is a review of the video and audio quality on that particular movie on Blu-ray

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Mrs-Doubtfire-Blu-ray/678/

Dalton Wayne
06-20-2012, 08:53
I buy only blu rays, get it

Bilbo Bagins
06-20-2012, 09:07
Who wants to see Robbin Williams wearing granny panties in high def? Get the DVD.

+1

Action movies, Sci Fi, Kids movies with Animation, or a monster movies with special effects, I usually get the Blue Ray. Everything else especially something like a old comedy I would get the DVD.

The one thing I usually buy in Walmart or other stores is the DVD + Blue Ray combo. I just bought Act of Valor in that format and the price for both the DVD & Blue Ray was like $3 more then getting the Blue Ray alone. This way I have no problem loaning out the DVD to friends and Family because I still have the Blue Ray. Also with Disney/Pixar movies, my Family would watch the Blue Ray then the kids can take DVD to watch in their room or on the laptop when we go on vacation.

crzn01
06-20-2012, 10:19
We buy the 3D Blu Ray here lately....

G29Reload
06-20-2012, 10:24
I grabbed a blu ray player awhile back.

I have ONE blu ray dvd.

Without a doubt, the jump from analog to reglr ole DVD was so stellar in putting us in the digital world, the Blu ray was nothing more than incremental, over hyped and overblown.

I have a good late model 46 samsung HD tv to watch it on too.

Its good, but not that good, and not at all worth the extra cost, last time I checked. I can get great HD out of regular discs.

podwich
06-20-2012, 10:30
I only buy Bluray. DVD is blurry.

G29Reload
06-20-2012, 10:31

Oh please.:upeyes:

Bilbo Bagins
06-20-2012, 11:18

Remember the days when people were in awe of DVDs when they first came out. So much clearer then watching a movie on VHS or TV with an antenna :rofl:

Now I find myself bytchin when I watch something in Hi Def and its a night-time scene and the blackness looks a little blocky.

G29Reload
06-20-2012, 11:32
Remember the days when people were in awe of DVDs when they first came out. So much clearer then watching a movie on VHS or TV with an antenna :rofl:

Now I find myself bytchin when I watch something in Hi Def and its a night-time scene and the blackness looks a little blocky.

I still have a working 1st gen RCA dvd player, and 90's era copy of MadMaxII, the Road Warrior.

The sound thru my 5.1AC3 is stunning, especially the opening where he kicks in the turbocharger. The DVD has regular 4/3 and widescreen, and the quality is still stunning, the original disc and on the old player.

My only BluRay is a copy of The Road, probably not the best example since its so drab and dreary, but still..I am just not seeing all the hoopla.

Cwlongshot
06-20-2012, 11:35
When I bought my last flat screen (52" sony Bravia) I also bought a blue ray player. Partially because of quality but mostly because of price. I paid less them half of offered price. I bought the BBC, blue ray collection called "EARTH". It's a multy disc show of everything on our world woth seeing, Totally awesome! Parts have been on TV documentaries for a couple years. If you haven't seen this I highly recommend it!

If you have a quality screen that supports 1080 resolution then the difference a blue ray adds is quite astounding. If your TV is 720 or anything less than 1080 it's likely not worth the added costs. At least know you don't get full quality benifits.

We buy quite a few blue rays and DVDs. I save buying bluerays for films I really liked or ones that are special effect monsters. Otherwise a std DVD is just fine as the quality of my TV is already an improvement.

CW

Dennis in MA
06-20-2012, 11:44
I'm doing the pee-pee dance because of a 3D trailer I saw last week.

Guess what movie is going to be made in 3D? I mean, the ULTIMATE "boy I wish they remade that. . . and in 3D" movie.

The Great Gatsby.

TGG in 3D???? Ummmm, OK. How about releasing Season-1 of South Park in 3D while you are at it.

Some movies - 3D is key. Some movies - BluRay is key. Mrs. Doubtfire ain't in either category. Although Robin Williams' fake boobs in 3D. . . . Nope.

kensb2
06-20-2012, 12:07
To the OP: You can get the single disc Bluray version of Mrs. Doubtfire new for $8 on Amazon, so if you're gonna get it, that'd be your best bet. Probably not worth it unless it's just a must have movie for you, which it didn't sound like.
That said..... Anyone that says DVD is equivalent to Bluray (no 'e') must not have the proper a/v equipment. DVD is 480i. Bluray is a minimum of 720p, up to 1080p. A dual-layer DVD can hold roughly 9.5 GB of information, which a single layer Bluray can hold 25 GB. Also, your connection methods matter. If you have a Bluray player attached to your tv via composite cables (RGB), your not going to get the same video quality as an HDMI cable. There are specs out there to support all of this, which I'll let the naysayers research on their own. The quality of your receiver and speakers also make a big difference. My wife thought I was full of crap when I told her about bluray, until we sat down to watch one on the PS3 with a nice HDTV and a Bose 6.1 surround sound system. Now even she will complain about a regular DVD. Comparing the 2 is like saying a WII has graphics that are just as good as a PS3 or Xbox. Or like saying your .22 pistol has as much stopping power as a .44 mag.....

/rant

Hamilton Burger
06-20-2012, 12:26
Doesn't matter to me. I only bought a br player so I could wifi-stream Netflix.

podwich
06-20-2012, 16:25

And yet it is. You can "Oh please. :upeyes:" all you want. It doesn't change the fact that the resolution is much better on BD.

Gregg702
06-20-2012, 16:46
Blu-Ray looks stunning on my 60" Sharp quattron. On most things, there is definately a huge difference between 480p or upconverted DVD and 1080p Blu-Ray. Certain things it doesn't matter though, such as Mrs. Doubtfire.

Minnow
06-20-2012, 16:54
I don't believe the movie itself is worthy of the extra expense of Blu-ray unless you are going to watch it on a really large screen. I usually buy Blu-ray when I buy new release action movies like Transformers 3 or The Avengers when it comes out. I'll watch those only in Blu-ray on my 1080P projector @ 106" or 50" plasma in the bedroom. The effect on those movies at such screen sizes are obvious to all but people who are not at all interested in TV. But hey, if the movie means a lot to you, then get a Blu-ray copy on amazon at a better price as a previous poster mentioned.
I usually buy Blu-rays nowadays when buying movies, buy I still buy a DVD every once in a while, usually an older movie that was not shot in HD.

podwich
06-20-2012, 17:22
I usually buy Blu-rays nowadays when buying movies, buy I still buy a DVD every once in a while, usually an older movie that was not shot in HD.

Very few movies are not shot in "HD". Film generally has an effective resolution greater than that of HDTV. However, the film-to-digital transfer may not have been done in HD or better resolution.

Jason D
06-20-2012, 17:25
I always buy things on Blu-ray. My meager collection of them is up to 198 movies not including tv stuff on BR.

Jay9928
06-20-2012, 17:26
I only buy Blu ray, and it is a big difference. The key is to have your display properly calibrated. Even the audio kicks a@@ like DTS-HD, etc. Watch the Act of Valor scene on BD when the SWCCs turn around the bend and open fire on their
GAU-17/A :supergrin:

ETA, also like how a number of them come w/ a digital copy to download into iTunes and transfer to your mobile device.

Buki192327
06-20-2012, 17:37
I don't have a blu ray player. I have a dvd/vcr player. Guess I am really behind the times. :dunno:

It still works very well, so don't think I will be changing. :wavey:

Minnow
06-20-2012, 18:47
Very few movies are not shot in "HD". Film generally has an effective resolution greater than that of HDTV. However, the film-to-digital transfer may not have been done in HD or better resolution.

Pretty much all movies are shot in greater resolution than current TV's/players can display. The point is that with older movies shot using non digital cameras, the factors of compression, filters, age, type of film used all contribute to the end product which sometimes doesn't come out all that great. From my understanding and it's been years since I read about it, The negatives from older movies can be in pretty bad shape depending on how they were stored and this factor alone can lead to a number of issues when converting them to HD(Bluray) or digitizing. Some of them turn out great or atleast improved, but I have seen some that look unnatural.

Jay9928
06-20-2012, 19:30
[QUOTE=Minnow;19112227]Pretty much all movies are shot in greater resolution than current TV's/players can display. The point is that with older movies shot using non digital cameras, the factors of compression, filters, age, type of film used all contribute to the end product which sometimes doesn't come out all that great. From my understanding and it's been years since I read about it, The negatives from older movies can be in pretty bad shape depending on how they were stored and this factor alone can lead to a number of issues when converting them to HD(Bluray) or digitizing. Some of them turn out great or atleast improved, but I have seen some that look unnatural.[/QUOTE

True. I have Dr. Strangelove, Clockwork Orange, Casablanca on Blu ray and they look great.

Magnus2131
06-20-2012, 20:08
I've yet to buy a disk for my PS3. I just borrow from the library and use it for Netflix.

sputnik767
06-20-2012, 21:07
Blu Ray only. Besides the much higher resolution and video quality (and I can tell a difference on even a 32" 1080p TV despite what some have said in the past), it has uncompressed audio (DTS-HD Master or Dolby TrueHD). Passing uncompressed audio to my AVR and through decent floor-standing speakers makes a big difference IMO. I will not consider a movie if it's not on Blu Ray. I will stream shows from Netflix, but don't stream movies because the quality just isn't up to my standard.

Myke_Hart
06-21-2012, 05:12
Remember VHS tapes and having to replace your favorite movie on tape with the DVD version.:steamed:

Better to get the blueray now, than have to rebuy it a few years down the road.:whistling:

RedNine
06-21-2012, 06:57
+1

Action movies, Sci Fi, Kids movies with Animation, or a monster movies with special effects, I usually get the Blue Ray. Everything else especially something like a old comedy I would get the DVD.

+1 to that

If the movie is visually stunning I buy it on Blu-Ray. If it's a John Candy movie then DVD will suffice.

okie
06-21-2012, 07:15
To the OP: You can get the single disc Bluray version of Mrs. Doubtfire new for $8 on Amazon, so if you're gonna get it, that'd be your best bet. Probably not worth it unless it's just a must have movie for you, which it didn't sound like.

Best Buy has it for 8 bucks also, I'll be going there tomorrow my friend:supergrin: