Music on my computer. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Music on my computer.

okie
06-20-2012, 07:12
When I download music or rip a CD onto my hard drive, how do I tell if the music is compressed or not, and does iTunes compress music? I want all my music to be uncompressed if that's possoible:supergrin:

dango
06-20-2012, 08:05
Again Okie , tech. got us by the crotch again. To my knowledge' anything digitized is compressed , the days of analog are gone.

I still remember the days off a virgin record played for the first time on a good turn-table and recorded that way to my reel to reel.WE're getting old Okie.

MtBaldy
06-20-2012, 08:16
What Dango said. iTunes by default rips CDs to 256kbps .aac files and they are compressed and sound pretty good. Why do you want uncompressed if you can't hear the difference?

okie
06-20-2012, 08:29
What Dango said. iTunes by default rips CDs to 256kbps .aac files and they are compressed and sound pretty good. Why do you want uncompressed if you can't hear the difference?

I was reading some stuff about compressed music and they said if you had average equipment you couldn't tell a difference, but they said if you had top quality headphones( I have AKG K271 Studio Monitor headphones) that you probably could hear the difference. Also I have a 1 TB hard drive so I have more HD space I will ever need or use:supergrin:

MtBaldy
06-20-2012, 10:22
I was reading some stuff about compressed music and they said if you had average equipment you couldn't tell a difference, but they said if you had top quality headphones( I have AKG K271 Studio Monitor headphones) that you probably could hear the difference. Also I have a 1 TB hard drive so I have more HD space I will ever need or use:supergrin:

The iTunes AAC encoder set to iTunes Plus is supposed to give you CD quality sound. There is an Apple Lossless encoder in iTunes you can use if you want to. I'm betting, even with very good headphones, you can't hear a difference. Try it and see.

tous
06-20-2012, 10:42
Mark, let's examine the premises and come to a conclusion.

Begin with your assertion that you were, "... reading some stuff about compressed music and they said if you had average equipment you couldn't tell a difference, but they said if you had top quality headphones( I have AKG K271 Studio Monitor headphones) that you probably could hear the difference."

There are a few limiting factors at work here. Is this so-called lost quality due to compression within your perception? If you can't walk, it doesn't make much difference how good your running shoes are, no? The other limiting factor is how reliable is your information? Note well that the opinions of those deemed audiophiles are often commercials masquerading as judgement or aggrandizement by those claiming expertise they do not possess intended to impress.

There is a fairly simple was to test this. Keeping the conditions identical, listen to a compressed sample and compare that with an uncompressed sample.

Then you'll know.

edcrosbys
06-20-2012, 15:38
Also I have a 1 TB hard drive so I have more HD space I will ever need or use:supergrin:

How much music do you have? Figure about 10-15 songs per Gig if you're going uncompressed.

But why go uncompressed? I believe you are really concerned with lossless vs lossy compression. Lossless compression is still compression, but will give you a digital exact copy of what was originally encoded. Lossy compresses better, sounds very good, but will not be an exact duplicate. The real problem comes when you start re-encoding your music and it was stored in a lossy format and is going to another lossy format.

Buki192327
06-20-2012, 17:49
okie, do what I do. I sit on the disc. At my size, anything I sit on, is definitely compressed!! :rofl::rofl::faint:

dango
06-20-2012, 18:07
Mark, let's examine the premises and come to a conclusion.

Begin with your assertion that you were, "... reading some stuff about compressed music and they said if you had average equipment you couldn't tell a difference, but they said if you had top quality headphones( I have AKG K271 Studio Monitor headphones) that you probably could hear the difference."

There are a few limiting factors at work here. Is this so-called lost quality due to compression within your perception? If you can't walk, it doesn't make much difference how good your running shoes are, no? The other limiting factor is how reliable is your information? Note well that the opinions of those deemed audiophiles are often commercials masquerading as judgement or aggrandizement by those claiming expertise they do not possess intended to impress.

There is a fairly simple was to test this. Keeping the conditions identical, listen to a compressed sample and compare that with an uncompressed sample.

Then you'll know.

Well said and as always , a gentile man and a scholar .