Butter [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Butter

DoctaGlockta
06-20-2012, 07:16
Wanting to put some away. Will be a nice addition to stores IMO. Canning seems to be easily doable but prepared in a can (ghee or other) is just a click away.

Wondering what others here have done if anything for butter storage.

Thanks in advance gentlemen.

bdcochran
06-20-2012, 08:36
http://everydayfoodstorage.net/wp-content/themes/yamidoo_pro/images/logo.png

SFCSMITH(RET)
06-20-2012, 08:46
We canned some, bought some ghee at the Indian market, and a couple #10 cans of butter powder in the larder.

Always 10 pounds or more in the freezer also.

Bolster
06-20-2012, 09:03
Not totally on topic here (sorry) but were you aware of "shortening powder"? News to me.

http://beprepared.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_FS%20D145_A_name_E_Shortening%20Powder

G29Reload
06-20-2012, 10:08
For regular butter, with the power still on and the fridge working, butter has an average expiration date of 6 months.

Which means it can probably go a year.

I go thru a couple sticks a month, so I stay within the 6 month limit to be safe and keep an average of 3 pounds in stock.

If the SHTF and the stores are looted and no resupply but the power is on, I''ll ration to one stick a month and have a years supply.

If the power is out, I'm screwed. Though I do have 1-2 years supply of cooking oil, peanut and olive that don't need refrigeration. Plus some stray shortening and a container of coconut oil. I think I have some dehydrated butter from honeyville farms, and truthfully i can go without altogether in survival mode.

Butter is a sign of civilization, however.

nursetim
06-20-2012, 10:12
The red feather butter tastes funny, but if forced to choose between that and nothing, I'm good with the canned stuff.

Bolster
06-20-2012, 10:17
Though I do have 1-2 years supply of cooking oil, peanut and olive that don't need refrigeration.

Possible? I thought all the edible oils had a shelf life around 6 mo. Not so? Do some oils have longer shelf life than others?

Also, I would count on the power going out. To me it seems one of the most fragile mechanisms (along with "just in time" supply chains) in our society.

Stevekozak
06-20-2012, 16:51
I go thru a couple sticks a month.
Dang! You must be healthy......and bored. I probably go through a pound a week. Butter makes life worth living! And bacon... I am so hungry right now! :eat:

SFCSMITH(RET)
06-20-2012, 17:19
Possible? I thought all the edible oils had a shelf life around 6 mo. Not so? Do some oils have longer shelf life than others?

Many oils will go two years easy. The same enimies of other foods.. light, oxygen, temperature. I just opened a 3L can of olive oil bought in 2010.. just fine.

DoctaGlockta
06-20-2012, 18:44
We canned some, bought some ghee at the Indian market, and a couple #10 cans of butter powder in the larder.

Always 10 pounds or more in the freezer also.

So what is your take on all three? Have you tried the powder and the Ghee?

Bolster
06-20-2012, 18:53
Many oils will go two years easy. The same enimies of other foods.. light, oxygen, temperature. I just opened a 3L can of olive oil bought in 2010.. just fine.

Did not know that!! Which are the oils with the long (and short) shelf lives then? How's canola oil?

Akita
06-20-2012, 19:34
Ghee is your long term storage answer.

RWBlue
06-20-2012, 20:35
Do some oils have longer shelf life than others?

Yes
Olive oil has a short shelf life.
Corn oil seems to last a long time for me.

Crisco will last forever in the fridge. OK not forever, but longer than I have been able to test.

Butter will last forever in the freezer. OK not forever, but longer than I have been able to test.

BTW, Popeye told me he likes his Olive oil extra virgin. :-)

SFCSMITH(RET)
06-21-2012, 06:04
So what is your take on all three? Have you tried the powder and the Ghee?

I don't know exactly how to give "my take" I guess..

But yes, I have used them all. We have no prep items that we don't/have not used. Home canning butter was an OK experience.. but is effectively just homemade ghee. We did it for a future use skill. We had the canner out.. we had a bunch of butter in the freezer..

Ghee is effectively "drawn butter" the stuff they give you at Red Lobster to dip your lobster/crab in.. You use it like butter.

Powdered butter used to be a backpacking standard. I don't backpack anymore, and FD/dehydrated meals seem to be the way everybody goes now. In my youth, you had to cook while camping, not just boil water. (I still cook while camping, but now it's from a fridge, with Cuisinart pans and three burners, convection oven and microwave, or just over an open fire) I still have a small backpacking stove, bought before the time when the important stove criteria was NOT how fast it could boil water.. Used it last weekend. (To use powdered butter, you mix it about 1 to 1 with water)

We store multiple "oils" and fats, because they are very important. But we use them regularly. Many people don't, in fact I just read last week that more than 30% of Americans NEVER cook. (That's a lot of hungry people when the lights don't come on at McD's..) So for us, rotation is not a big deal.

As was said earlier, ghee and powdered would be my answer also, if a person didn't rotate. Though I don't understand why a person wouldn't.

Nor do I understand why people eat slimy white slice, when grinding your own flour from storage, and making bread takes only minutes a day, and is way better for you, and way better tasting.

DAMN I be rambling this morning.. must be the hunger pains.. liquid diet today for test tomorrow.. :crying:

SFCSMITH(RET)
06-21-2012, 06:10
Yes
Olive oil has a short shelf life.
Corn oil seems to last a long time for me.

Crisco will last forever in the fridge. OK not forever, but longer than I have been able to test.

Butter will last forever in the freezer. OK not forever, but longer than I have been able to test.

BTW, Popeye told me he likes his Olive oil extra virgin. :-)

As always, storage conditions have a direct effect on shelf life..

But that's just about spot on.

The trick is to figure out how long they last in your conditions and lifestyle.

BTW, fresh pressed nut oils, like walnut oil, (we pressed some last year) Have a very short shelf life, even in the fridge (3 months or so). Luckily, being able to press your own, and having a hundred or so walnut trees on the property.. :cool:

RWBlue
06-21-2012, 07:55
Nor do I understand why people eat slimy white slice, when grinding your own flour from storage, and making bread takes only minutes a day, and is way better for you, and way better tasting.

Lets start with storage room, convenience, and mess. Then add on store bought white flour has vitamins and minerals added. To top it off, I really don't use that much white flour now that I am on a diet and don't have a freezer for storing baked goods.

SFCSMITH(RET)
06-21-2012, 08:32
Lets start with storage room, convenience, and mess. Then add on store bought white flour has vitamins and minerals added. To top it off, I really don't use that much white flour now that I am on a diet and don't have a freezer for storing baked goods.

How about.. put back in. The commercial manufacturing of "white flour" removes all.. well most of the goodness, that is then added back in..

Storage room?? Where are you keeping your preps? this is S&P after all. Remember.. eat what you store.. store what you eat..

I don't store baked goods. Unless you count in a bread box for a day or two. If I was on a diet, I certainly would cut out white bread. But whole wheat is a completely different critter.

Don't know about the mess part either. My grinder area doesn't look messy to me. (Unstaged photo taken to show off some mods for another forum)..

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w88/maypo59/P1010004.jpg

Put grain in grinder. Turn handle. Flour comes out of the mill into a bowl.

Add honey, water, oil, yeast, etc.. knead, place back in bowl.. let rise, punch down, let rise.. bake. I usually do a "rustic" loaf, but have good pans for a regular loaf style also.

Spread with real butter and homemade pomegranate jelly.. be happy.

:cool:

Repeat in two days. Actual amount of my time needed to be there and interact with bread making process.. less than it takes me to drive to the store. And if I am really pressed for time.. bread machine will make a fair loaf.

EDIT: OP, sorry for the thread hijack.. but I did at least mention butter..

RWBlue
06-21-2012, 11:27
EDIT: OP, sorry for the thread hijack.. but I did at least mention butter..

Please start this in a different thread. I have clearly thought out my decision, it is not the same as yours.:wavey:

DoctaGlockta
06-21-2012, 19:28
I don't know exactly how to give "my take" I guess..

But yes, I have used them all. We have no prep items that we don't/have not used. Home canning butter was an OK experience.. but is effectively just homemade ghee. We did it for a future use skill. We had the canner out.. we had a bunch of butter in the freezer..

Ghee is effectively "drawn butter" the stuff they give you at Red Lobster to dip your lobster/crab in.. You use it like butter.

Powdered butter used to be a backpacking standard. I don't backpack anymore, and FD/dehydrated meals seem to be the way everybody goes now. In my youth, you had to cook while camping, not just boil water. (I still cook while camping, but now it's from a fridge, with Cuisinart pans and three burners, convection oven and microwave, or just over an open fire) I still have a small backpacking stove, bought before the time when the important stove criteria was NOT how fast it could boil water.. Used it last weekend. (To use powdered butter, you mix it about 1 to 1 with water)

We store multiple "oils" and fats, because they are very important. But we use them regularly. Many people don't, in fact I just read last week that more than 30% of Americans NEVER cook. (That's a lot of hungry people when the lights don't come on at McD's..) So for us, rotation is not a big deal.

As was said earlier, ghee and powdered would be my answer also, if a person didn't rotate. Though I don't understand why a person wouldn't.

DAMN I be rambling this morning.. must be the hunger pains.. liquid diet today for test tomorrow.. :crying:

Sounds like Ghee is the way to go.

As for rice I think I must have been Asian in another life. For me it is easy to cook. A few cups in the Zohurshi, rince a few times, click the button and in 10 I have great rice.

Appreciate the feedback.

Bolster
06-21-2012, 21:55
Bit 'o googlification, credibility unknown:

"At room temperature, virgin coconut oil will easily last 2 years in your pantry. The manufacturers say it has a 3 year shelf life....It has a long shelf life and can withstand higher temperatures than any other natural nut or seed oil. This oil will not form trans-fatty acids, oxidize, nor breakdown at high temperature."

"Coconut oil has a very long shelf life... the degradation and rancidity that plagues most oils comes from their mono- or poly-unsaturated status. Saturated oils are extremely stable, and solid saturated oils, such as coconut oil are even more stable yet..."

"Crisco shelf life - 2 years unopened...Coconut oil - 5 years..."

"The best way to protect all fats, and help them last longer is to seal them in nitrogen purged airtight containers.
It’s hard to vacuum seal oils so again, purge the containers of air and be sure the air space is in the container minimal (fill the container to the top). Refrigeration will not slow the rancidity process much, keep your fats/oils in a cool, dry, place and out of direct sunlight, the biggest factor is an airtight container. "

"Due to its exceptional stability, this coconut oil has a long shelf life of two or more years (the longest of any oil), and does not have to be refrigerated."

"The United States Food and Drug Administration,[2] World Health Organization,[3] International College of Nutrition,[4] the United States Department of Health and Human Services,[5] American Dietetic Association,[6] American Heart Association,[7] British National Health Service,[8] and Dietitians of Canada[6] recommend against the consumption of significant amounts of coconut oil due to its high levels of saturated fat. Advocacy against coconut and palm oils in the 1970s and 80s due to their perceived danger as a saturated fat caused companies to instead substitute trans fats, unaware of their health-damaging effects.[26]...Coconut oil contains a large proportion of lauric acid, a saturated fat that raises blood cholesterol levels by increasing the amount of high-density lipoprotein (HDL) cholesterol[27]"

nursetim
06-24-2012, 19:10
If coconut oil raises HDL level, why are we not consuming it like water? HDL lowers LDL, or so I was told in school.

R_W
06-29-2012, 05:02
We buy coconut oil in 5 gallon metal buckets.

And store butter in the cow....

RWBlue
06-29-2012, 08:32
We buy coconut oil in 5 gallon metal buckets.

And store butter in the cow....

Why not buy a tree and squeeze your own nuts?

Bolster
06-29-2012, 08:51
HDL lowers LDL, or so I was told in school.

I've always heard that "HDL is the bad one." Never heard that HDL lowers LDL, best to check that before taking it to the bank.

Lone Kimono
06-29-2012, 11:09
If coconut oil raises HDL level, why are we not consuming it like water? HDL lowers LDL, or so I was told in school.
Coconut oil is fantastic for cooking popcorn in the way. Has to be the refined kind though. Love that stuff.

USMC_G19
06-29-2012, 11:45
I like to store my butter around my midsection. That way I'll have plenty stored when i need it. :cool:

R_W
06-30-2012, 11:59
Why not buy a tree and squeeze your own nuts?

Because it won't grow here...

Oh, those nuts--they have already been put through the wringer:tongueout:

Seriously, the easiest (maybe only) way to grow my own oil small scale in my climate is butter and lard.