"Untreatable Tuberculosis" [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : "Untreatable Tuberculosis"

Bolster
06-20-2012, 08:57
One of the benefits of posting to GT S/P is: you get to be alarmist. So here's my contribution.

This morning's paper announced that "a mutant strain of tuberculosis is proving resistant to all known treatments" in India. "Spread of the strain could return tuberculosis to the fatal plague that killed two-thirds of people afflicted."

Predictably, the Indian government has been trying to cover it up, and now that the news has been "outed," their government is accusing health officials of "starting a panic."

"It's just the tip of the iceberg," said Dr. Soumya Swaminathan, of India's National Institute for Research in Tuberculosis. For treatments, Dr. Udwadia said, "We've got nothing."

thesurefire
06-20-2012, 12:01
Another thing to keep watch on. I'm always a little scared about disease in asia, because with such dense populations there is the possibility of spread like wildfire.

Some people, in America don't understand while that a city of 200k people here can be 4 square miles. A group of 200k people there might be four square blocks. Even in places like New York where there are 30 story apartment buildings, Shanghai has 70 story apartment buildings. Humans living like they live today, in super cramped quarters is a recipe for disaster disease wise.

kirgi08
06-20-2012, 12:22
tagged.

thetoastmaster
06-20-2012, 19:34
I learned about this when I was capstoning (interning) at the county health department. Frankly, I am much more concerned regarding the XDR out of Eastern Europe than the totally drug-resistant tuberculosis (TDR-TB) out of India, just because we get more people traveling to and from Eastern Europe than South Asia, at least around here. The problem is that folks come down with an LTBI or ATB and can't afford the full course of treatment; so they buy INH and Rifampin onesy-twosys. Hence, extremely (and now totally drug-resistant) TB is starting to appear. Luckily, local health department infectious disease nurses are quite aware of the problem; and most every hospital has isolation rooms with negative airflow for this contingency.

Sooner or later there will be a super bug that will kill off a whole bunch of us. That's just the nature of the beast.

RWBlue
06-20-2012, 20:42
I am surrounded by Indians. This cowboy is scared.

Lone Kimono
06-20-2012, 21:45
It's already outside their borders. Of all the "hit the fan" scenarios something like this is the most probable.

kirgi08
06-20-2012, 23:26
Also the most terrifying.'08.

RatDrall
06-21-2012, 04:26
Don't let people spit in your mouth and TB shouldn't be an issue, it's spread by droplets isn't it?

TangoFoxtrot
06-21-2012, 04:34
Also the most terrifying.'08.

Yes it is and hard to fight.

kirgi08
06-21-2012, 04:35
Foolish.'08.

kirgi08
06-21-2012, 04:38
Sorry TF,I was responding ta the post above yours.'08.

Bren
06-21-2012, 04:51
One of the benefits of posting to GT S/P is: you get to be alarmist. So here's my contribution.

This morning's paper announced that "a mutant strain of tuberculosis is proving resistant to all known treatments" in India. "Spread of the strain could return tuberculosis to the fatal plague that killed two-thirds of people afflicted."

Predictably, the Indian government has been trying to cover it up, and now that the news has been "outed," their government is accusing health officials of "starting a panic."

"It's just the tip of the iceberg," said Dr. Soumya Swaminathan, of India's National Institute for Research in Tuberculosis. For treatments, Dr. Udwadia said, "We've got nothing."

Sounds like that would be a problem if we lived in a world where we won't restrict immigration to prevent the spread of the disease, since that would be racist, and we won't treat people with contagious diseases like they are somebody we could catch a disease from, since that would be discriminatory....hey...we do!

Bren
06-21-2012, 04:52
Don't let people spit in your mouth and TB shouldn't be an issue, it's spread by droplets isn't it?

Yep, that's how people get TB...:upeyes::rofl:

humanguerrilla
06-21-2012, 14:06
Another thing to keep watch on. I'm always a little scared about disease in asia, because with such dense populations there is the possibility of spread like wildfire.

Some people, in America don't understand while that a city of 200k people here can be 4 square miles. A group of 200k people there might be four square blocks. Even in places like New York where there are 30 story apartment buildings, Shanghai has 70 story apartment buildings. Humans living like they live today, in super cramped quarters is a recipe for disaster disease wise.

And we are only used to seeing the new middle class Chinese and the Chinese millionaires in the western media. Neon lit China. We don't see the majority cramped factory workers in the tenements who bathe their families out of a small tub that Americans might keep beer iced at bbqs.

Texas357
06-21-2012, 18:08
Misuse and overuse of antibiotics will do that. Since bacteria can trade dna across species, a resistant but benign bacteria could pass on the resistance to a harmful one. Still think all that drug-resistant E coli. at feedlots isn't going to be a problem?

RatDrall
06-23-2012, 07:31
Yep, that's how people get TB...:upeyes::rofl:

TB is spread by droplets, coughed out of the infected person's lungs, that are then breathed in by those around them.

Unless I was improperly trained. When we transported TB patients, we had face shields and masks on so we couldn't get coughed on, or breathe in droplets.

quake
06-23-2012, 07:52
Bren - where's your sig line:

...underneath that moronic veneer lurks a thirst for blood. ... an invidious potential for lawlessness and despair; existential and otherwise. The sooner you weasels open your eyes to the hideous truth, the sooner you'll wish you were dead.

from?

thetoastmaster
06-23-2012, 08:05
TB is spread by droplets, coughed out of the infected person's lungs, that are then breathed in by those around them.

Unless I was improperly trained. When we transported TB patients, we had face shields and masks on so we couldn't get coughed on, or breathe in droplets.

Whoa, whoa, whoa. Tuberculosis requires airborne infection control precautions not droplet. Preventing its spread when the disease is active requires a fit-tested N95 surgical mask (not the kind you get at the Home Depot). The droplet nuclei are one to five microns in diameter (Heymann, 2004), necessitating serious precautions for people that might be exposed (e.g. healthcare workers).

"The risk of infection with the tubercle bacillus is directly related to the degree of exposure..." (Heymann, 2004). You can get tuberculosis and not even know it. Tuberculosis starts in a latent state, and colonizes the lungs, generally (bot not always). Approximately ten percent of individuals with latent tuberculosis infections convert to active tuberculosis disease.

There is a lot of good evidence-based reading on the subject. The book I cited is the gold standard (there is a nineteenth edition; I don't have it yet). The CDC is also a good resource:
http://www.cdc.gov/tb/publications/factsheets/prevention/ichcs.htm

Heymann, D. L. (2004). Control of communicable diseases manual. (18 ed., pp. 560-572). Washington DC, USA: Amer Public Health Assn.

pugman
06-23-2012, 08:47
Didn't Professor Moriarty kill Irene Adler (Rachel McAdams's character) in the recently released Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows with a "rare from of Tuberculosis" which she died from in a matter of seconds?

See this stuff has been around since the 1890's we should be fine*

*This sacarsm brought to you by the fact I'm only on my second cup of coffee

thetoastmaster
06-24-2012, 15:10
Didn't Professor Moriarty kill Irene Adler (Rachel McAdams's character) in the recently released Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows with a "rare from of Tuberculosis" which she died from in a matter of seconds?

See this stuff has been around since the 1890's we should be fine*

*This sacarsm brought to you by the fact I'm only on my second cup of coffee

:shocked:

Threadkiller...

:upeyes:

:rofl:

:tongueout:

Bren
06-24-2012, 15:20
Bren - where's your sig line:

from?

Roadside Prophets
http://img2.imagesbn.com/images/114170000/114170226.jpg

John Doe (X)
Adam Horowitz (Beastie Boys)
Arlo Guthrie
Timothy Leary
John Cusack
David Carradine
Don Cheadle
Flea (Red Hot Chili Peppers)
etc.

pugman
06-24-2012, 15:48
:shocked:

Threadkiller...

:upeyes:

:rofl:

:tongueout:

It just seemed ironic.

We just rented this from Redbox...then I come upon this thread. I actually qued up the movie a second time before I returned it to confirm its how he killed her.

As for a pandemic, besides for a total economic collaspe, its probably the most realistic EOTW type situation.

Travclem
06-24-2012, 21:22
Don't travel to India or let Indians into the U.S.... problem solved.

Texas357
06-24-2012, 22:53

Or Russia.

Or border Mexico.

Or Thailand. Turkey.

Or any country where antibiotics aren't well controlled. (including those listed above).

Or any country where antibiotics are prescription only but given out freely by doctors and are fed to livestock as a general measure...(that would be us).

Or any country with a large number of immigrants from any of the above countries (i.e. England, Canada)

Antibiotic-resistant infections are popping up all over.

Texas357
06-24-2012, 22:57
It just seemed ironic.

We just rented this from Redbox...then I come upon this thread. I actually qued up the movie a second time before I returned it to confirm its how he killed her.

As for a pandemic, besides for a total economic collaspe, its probably the most realistic EOTW type situation.

More probably a poison intended to resemble death by tuberculosis, in that context.

pugman
06-25-2012, 04:49

Easier said than done or maybe not.

With the amount of outsourcing done to India (my employer included) its difficult not to have someone traveling there all the time....

Then again with virtual conferencing we shouldn't need do.

A great example is my boss's boss's boss - a v.p.

She goes there at least once a year to "touch base" when in reality she goes to get a free three week trip to India. She is at a level where she has little to no knowledge of what really goes on and usually makes up some excuse using the latest buzz word to justify the trip.

I say let her go then put in her quarantine for a month :supergrin:

Ironically, its situations like this which are causing a shift in vital resources back to the U.S. The company my brother works for develops and sells a lot of server banks to companies. For years, they have been pitching to their clients about the security issues abroad. The proverbal "if another 9/11 happened do you really want all your data and private information stored on servers half way around the world?"

Once their contracts expire, quite a few are bringing there storage back to the U.S

thetoastmaster
06-25-2012, 09:53

Of China, or Brazil, or any of the twenty other nations
with a high prevalence of tuberculosis: http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs104/en/

Or any country where antibiotics are prescription only but given out freely by doctors and are fed to livestock as a general measure...(that would be us).

It's not just over- or under-prescription of antibiotics, but also treatment with low-quality chemotherapies: http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs104/en/

Again, mycobacerium is slow-growing and contracting the disease depends upon the time of the exposure.

Just1More
06-26-2012, 04:29
Good, there's too many people on this planet anyway.

GRIMLET
06-26-2012, 04:37
Haven't there been a few cases in London also?

DrSticky
06-26-2012, 10:45
I'm your huckleberry.

syntaxerrorsix
06-26-2012, 10:51
tagged.

I've seen you post this in two threads in the last 5 minutes.

Just want to make sure you know about the feature :wavey:

http://i370.photobucket.com/albums/oo144/syntaxerrorsix/Screenshotfrom2012-06-26124920.png

syntaxerrorsix
06-26-2012, 10:53
TB and Gonorrhea :faint:

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/health/2012/06/06/drug-resistant-gonorrhea-spreading-says-world-health-organization/

kirgi08
06-26-2012, 13:11
I know,a gear inadequacy.It would slow my computer ta blue screen.I run a CF 27 from the 90s,with windows 2000.'08.

Cavalry Doc
07-01-2012, 17:22
TB and Gonorrhea :faint:

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/health/2012/06/06/drug-resistant-gonorrhea-spreading-says-world-health-organization/

Well, I know how to keep from getting one of those for sure.

The other, N95 Masks can be helpful if properly fitted.

thetoastmaster
07-01-2012, 21:12
Well, I know how to keep from getting one of those for sure.

The other, N95 Masks can be helpful if properly fitted.

Reminds me of one of my high school teachers, a Korean War-era USMC mustanger. He had that Full Metal Jacket swagger. He'd swagger up to the front of the classroom, shake an open hand at the class, say "Abstinence... Abstinence...", wrap his knuckles on the desk, and swagger back to his office.

He could deliver a whole lecture in two words.